Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Michigan that do not fit into any other Michigan sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:15 PM

Default Changes in release dates without good time?

My man's ERD is 2013 but they gave his a COMPASS evaluation a few months ago. Isn't that usually given 9 months-1 year before release? (or being up for parole?) He says guys are getting yearly time update sheets with good time computed but not added in.

Anybody else heard of this? What does it mean? We'd kind of like to to know if his release is moved up!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2010, 07:21 AM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

It is my understanding that they are doing COMPASS on everyone. My man doesn't have an outdate and had a COMPASS done.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:46 PM
No BULLSHIT member
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,792 Times in 3,569 Posts

Correct. Even if they do calculate good time at the present time it really means nothing as Michigan is still under Truth in Sentencing Law. Each prisoner sentenced in the past ten years has been sentenced under TIS. Under TIS every prisoner MUST do their minimum before being eligible for parole. The only time off the sentence will be whatever good time is earned in the county jail and is calculated toward time already served. There is no good time credit given once you reach prison.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:48 AM

Default We had a compass test too!!

My husband had a compass evaluation a few months back also. His release date is 2013 too.
He and a friend were told by a counselor that the "good time bill" had passed, Jenny had signed it on August 1st. I've been searching for any information I can also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fem testarda View Post
My man's ERD is 2013 but they gave his a COMPASS evaluation a few months ago. Isn't that usually given 9 months-1 year before release? (or being up for parole?) He says guys are getting yearly time update sheets with good time computed but not added in.

Anybody else heard of this? What does it mean? We'd kind of like to to know if his release is moved up!
Old 08-22-2010, 03:18 PM
we are FREE xoxox
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBoo View Post
My husband had a compass evaluation a few months back also. His release date is 2013 too.
He and a friend were told by a counselor that the "good time bill" had passed, Jenny had signed it on August 1st. I've been searching for any information I can also.
This is both a rumor and a lie. There is NO good time. If you search PTO you will see that it is carefully watched here and we all want it to pass...BUT IT HAS NOT and most likely WILL NOT. I dont want to sound mean but it is true. Good time rumors always swirl within the walls of prison.

As far as the compass testing and his disciplinary credit sheet, that is true, it is always calculated but without Good time those credits will stay on a sheet of paper like they have been for over a decade.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:29 PM

Have to agree with ilovecharles - there has been no good time passed and the new bills 6328, 6329, 6330 have been read once on July 21, sent to the judiciary comm and I have not heard any thing more about them to this date. I posted all info I know and got back from Rep A. Smith who was one of the rep who introduced the bills in the section: Michigan Laws - Updates/Reviews/Questions and under the thread: House Bills 6328, 6329, 6330. As far as I can understand from the info I rec’d back ~ those bills will do nothing for our loved ones incarcerated now, only those who would be sentenced under those bills if they pass starting a certain date in October. Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong ! But they haven’t even been on the agenda for the judiciary yet for people to speak to. Maybe someone knows – if nothing happens to them by the end of this year 2010 – do they just die and go away then someone will introduce some new bills again ?? Don’t remember much of my gov’t class, way too long ago ! Also my son had his compass test a couple months back but as you can see his ERD is April 2012.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:44 PM
jjstds

This is a rumor. Sometimes the inmates get bad information from other inmates. Sometimes an article is misunderstood. In some cases the prison staff mess with the guys on purpose for what I can only see as sadistic reasons.

Anyone who entered the prison system in the last 10 years does not get good time. Period. Like another poster stated, the calculation is done on paper and it stays right there and has no effect on an inmates ERD.

It is hard to tell our loved ones this and it can feel like we are dashing their hopes, but it is black and white.

JJS
Old 08-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Yes the bills die every year and have to be re-introduced.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:03 PM

There was a memo awhile back directing the Resident Unit Managers to have all inmates complete an initial compass test. A test was to be given a second time at some point before release.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:12 AM

I don't understand why those bills die every year and have to be introduced every yearand go no where. I wish I really knew the reason why they won't repeal the TIS and bring back good time. I read articles where they have to make cuts in the DOC but it really doesn't happen.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:34 AM

The bills go no where because they are in the judiciary committee which is headed by Alan Cropsey a Republican who is in a district with 4 prisons.
He tends to view things that cuts prisons as nothing but slashing voters for him.
If he keeps the prisons open and people in them, then there are MDOC jobs and MDOC voters. Cropsey has opposed the majority of anything that comes near to changing the prison system for the better. That is why Granholm had to do executive orders to get changes made and close prisons. Although all that really did was to make it even more overcrowded than it was to begin with.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:36 AM

Even with having 15 parole board members, it seems like certain types of inmates still cannot get parole. The history of the board has been to "parole people who they know will return", thereby creating a revolving door and retaining MDOC jobs.
My son has been denied parole 4 times. He sees guys come and go and come back several times. He tells me about the ones who say things like "I'm going to test my parole officer this time". And how the majority of people getting paroled are sex offenders.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:49 AM

Hello Everyone,

Something new..... My son was denied the chance to go to boot camp by his judge when he originally went to prison a year ago. Recently he has been upset (jealous really, who could blame him) because other guys who had been down for quite some time were suddenly being transferred out of the unit and sent to boot camp. It didn't even make sense to me. Well, this week the psychologist told my son that he is being considered for boot camp. He's pretty excited. He thinks he could be home by Christmas.

Is this how they are getting around the politicians to relieve overcrowding and prepare to close another prison? If so I'm all for it!

Replying to Walkermom's statement -The history of the board has been to "parole people who they know will return", thereby creating a revolving door and retaining MDOC jobs.

This was part of Barbara Levine's testimony before the house subcommittee on corrections appropriations. She showed that inmates who had committed a crime motivated by money were more likely to reoffend than those who had committed the types of crimes that the parole board refuses to parole. She said they are either misinformed or making decisions based on personal bias. In particular she named crimes of murder and rape as having the lowest recidivism rates and the lowest rates of parole.

Take Care,
RA

Last edited by RAJustice; 08-26-2010 at 04:52 AM..
Old 08-26-2010, 08:31 AM

RAJustice

I'm happy for you and your son. That is good news
Old 08-26-2010, 11:26 AM
jjstds

HI RA,

Can you tell me what reason the judge gave for denying SAI at sentencing? Would your son have been eligible except for the sole reason of the judges disposition or was there a root ineligibility in your sons charge?

I ask because the charge my guy was convicted of is one that makes SAI a definite NO because of the SAI guidelines but the judge said no in his sentencing anyhow. My guy thought that a court order from the judge could over-ride the SAI guidelines but that isn't how it works. Guidelines trump the judge. Just wondering if something in that scenario has changed.

JJS
Old 08-26-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJustice View Post
Hello Everyone,

Something new..... My son was denied the chance to go to boot camp by his judge when he originally went to prison a year ago. Recently he has been upset (jealous really, who could blame him) because other guys who had been down for quite some time were suddenly being transferred out of the unit and sent to boot camp. It didn't even make sense to me. Well, this week the psychologist told my son that he is being considered for boot camp. He's pretty excited. He thinks he could be home by Christmas.

Is this how they are getting around the politicians to relieve overcrowding and prepare to close another prison? If so I'm all for it!

Replying to Walkermom's statement -The history of the board has been to "parole people who they know will return", thereby creating a revolving door and retaining MDOC jobs.

This was part of Barbara Levine's testimony before the house subcommittee on corrections appropriations. She showed that inmates who had committed a crime motivated by money were more likely to reoffend than those who had committed the types of crimes that the parole board refuses to parole. She said they are either misinformed or making decisions based on personal bias. In particular she named crimes of murder and rape as having the lowest recidivism rates and the lowest rates of parole.

Take Care,
RA
I hope that things work out for your son. I still think if they let people go that are past thier erd this will relieve overcrowding.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:14 PM
His Queen Forever! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkermom View Post
And how the majority of people getting paroled are sex offenders.
That part is total bs. "sex offenders" are the ones majority of the time being denied parole, even if they successfully complete SOP with excellent results.

Like quoted below, they are the least likely to reoffend as reported by the USDOJ plus other state & private statistics, yet the board continues to deny them just because they can.

Quote:

Old 08-26-2010, 08:44 PM

My husband was told he would not be given credit for his time in jail (almost 100 days) before sentencing. This is based on he was on parole and got new charges. Was told if he had been off parole or new to system he would have been credit. I have seen the law that says it...if anyone knows anyway around it i would be happy to have him home 100 days earlier(if he gets first outdate).
Old 08-27-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSTDS View Post
HI RA,

Can you tell me what reason the judge gave for denying SAI at sentencing? Would your son have been eligible except for the sole reason of the judges disposition or was there a root ineligibility in your sons charge?
JJS
My son was eligible for SAI. The judge didn't say why he was refusing to sign the paper but we weren't surprised. When the judge asked, "If I have you drug tested today would you be clean?" my son said, "No sir" TWICE Pot smoking cost him SAI and the Jamie Holmes Act.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly & Always View Post
That part is total bs. "sex offenders" are the ones majority of the time being denied parole, even if they successfully complete SOP with excellent results.

Like quoted below, they are the least likely to reoffend as reported by the USDOJ plus other state & private statistics, yet the board continues to deny them just because they can.

I'm sorry if you were upset by walkermoms statement. I believe she was referring to the push last year to release those who had been held way beyond thier ERD. Many of them were sex offenders. So actually you and walkermom are in agreement. Sex offenders were frequently denied parole creating such a back log of those cases that many of the inmates released this year have been SO's.

Also please remember that within this forum we are all very aware that the SO label covers a huge range of behavior from the falsely accused, Romeo and Juliet situations, all the way up to some really scary people. We aren't judging, we're just trying to share information and support one another.

Take Care,
RA
Lions Heart (08-30-2010)
Old 08-27-2010, 09:20 PM
jjstds

Quote:
My son was eligible for SAI. The judge didn't say why he was refusing to sign the paper but we weren't surprised. When the judge asked, "If I have you drug tested today would you be clean?" my son said, "No sir" TWICE Pot smoking cost him SAI and the Jamie Holmes Act.
Thank you for the information. My guy is not eligible by SAI guidelines not because the judge refused so our situations are different.

Best of luck on things with your son!!

JJS