Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WEST VIRGINIA > West Virginia Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

West Virginia Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the West Virginia Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:28 AM

Smile Loved my visit at the Anthony Correctional Center

I dont really know much about this site yet & I know very little about prisons, jails or that sort of thing BUT just in case anyone else may have now or in the future a loved one at the Anthony Correctional Center in White Sulphur Springs (Neola, Wv) the visits and all the staff I have talked to are great !!
Had my first visit this past Saturday and plan to go every Saturday untill he gets out !! If every day were Saturday i'd be on Cloud 9 !! Visits are from 8:30-2:30 (you can stay the whole time) . I got there around 9:30 and was extremely nervous, i've never even visited a jail before let alone some place like this !! The lady checkin me in was super nice, I talked to her about being scared, about the facility, and about my guy !! It was so much different than I expected, I was worried that my underwire bra or belt would set off the metal detectors (well i didnt even walk through the detector) not because I wouldnt, but because she didnt have me to ... I had a zip up hoodie on w/ a shirt underneath, she patted me down, but didnt even make me take off the hoodie, she didnt have me take off my shoes or anything like that ... Not that I would ever try to sneak anything in with me, but after my check-in im starting to wonder if maybe they could be stricter , DO they check everyone the same way they did me ??
They just got new vending machines and i didnt know how much money to take in with me, well the lady goes , "you are only aloud to take in 3 dollars at a time, but pops are 1.50 each, SO take in as much as you like, i didnt see it" .... hehe ... so im like "uh ok" & took in 20 bucks !! She said we were aloud one hug and kiss at the beginning and one hug and kiss at the end of the visit, but that we could hold hands above the table the whole time !! After being in the visiting room for 5 minutes I saw one couple kiss 5 times (1 kiss a minute) ... so i figured that rule doesnt apply either and kiss'd my man probably 15 times !!
This facility really is a great place to visit ~ the visiting room is big and they have one whole corner set up with toys for kids to play with (guess i'll take my little girl next time) ....
When leaving I talked to another worker, a CO, who was coming out of a room about the place, she did say that she thinks sometimes they arent strict enough on the boys in there, and that they tend to "baby" them to much !! Which me and her both agree is not a GOOD thing ~ I'd rather them be extremely hard on my boyfriend ~ this is a second chance for him to quit gettin in trouble, change, and straighten up ~ I want to be with him forever, but really dont want to have to deal with this kind of thing again (i feel like im serving a sentence right along with him) !!
Anyway sorry so long, i go on and on and on .... just tryin to keep busy untill Saturday, its only Wednesday ...... UGH !!!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinMy~Joshie View Post
I dont really know much about this site yet & I know very little about prisons, jails or that sort of thing BUT just in case anyone else may have now or in the future a loved one at the Anthony Correctional Center in White Sulphur Springs (Neola, Wv) the visits and all the staff I have talked to are great !!
Had my first visit this past Saturday and plan to go every Saturday untill he gets out !! If every day were Saturday i'd be on Cloud 9 !! Visits are from 8:30-2:30 (you can stay the whole time) . I got there around 9:30 and was extremely nervous, i've never even visited a jail before let alone some place like this !! The lady checkin me in was super nice, I talked to her about being scared, about the facility, and about my guy !! It was so much different than I expected, I was worried that my underwire bra or belt would set off the metal detectors (well i didnt even walk through the detector) not because I wouldnt, but because she didnt have me to ... I had a zip up hoodie on w/ a shirt underneath, she patted me down, but didnt even make me take off the hoodie, she didnt have me take off my shoes or anything like that ... Not that I would ever try to sneak anything in with me, but after my check-in im starting to wonder if maybe they could be stricter , DO they check everyone the same way they did me ??
They just got new vending machines and i didnt know how much money to take in with me, well the lady goes , "you are only aloud to take in 3 dollars at a time, but pops are 1.50 each, SO take in as much as you like, i didnt see it" .... hehe ... so im like "uh ok" & took in 20 bucks !! She said we were aloud one hug and kiss at the beginning and one hug and kiss at the end of the visit, but that we could hold hands above the table the whole time !! After being in the visiting room for 5 minutes I saw one couple kiss 5 times (1 kiss a minute) ... so i figured that rule doesnt apply either and kiss'd my man probably 15 times !!
This facility really is a great place to visit ~ the visiting room is big and they have one whole corner set up with toys for kids to play with (guess i'll take my little girl next time) ....
When leaving I talked to another worker, a CO, who was coming out of a room about the place, she did say that she thinks sometimes they arent strict enough on the boys in there, and that they tend to "baby" them to much !! Which me and her both agree is not a GOOD thing ~ I'd rather them be extremely hard on my boyfriend ~ this is a second chance for him to quit gettin in trouble, change, and straighten up ~ I want to be with him forever, but really dont want to have to deal with this kind of thing again (i feel like im serving a sentence right along with him) !!
Anyway sorry so long, i go on and on and on .... just tryin to keep busy untill Saturday, its only Wednesday ...... UGH !!!
Wow, I needed to see this. My son is in ACC. It will be a month on the 19th. How long was your boyfriend there before he was allowed visitors. Also, after he put in for the authorization was he notified that he can have visitors. My son hasn' been told anything yet. My son is 21 and has been in trouble a few times, and has been lucky as far as sentencing. The last one he had been on Home Confinement but he was caught drinking which has been his downfall. During his month there what a change in this kid already. He will not start his classes until the first of November. That is the only part is waiting. Has to be outside all day long. But he is a different person. I am so glad to hear that this place is so much better then NCRJ. I hope my son takes advantage and gets his life on track. Please let me know about the authorization if you would.

Thanks.

Cathy,,,,Orlando Florida
Old 09-15-2010, 09:26 PM

My boyfriend has been at the Anthony Center since July 21st, so almost 2 months now ... Hmm maybe ur son and my boyfriend are in the same dorm , maybe they know each other !! They are aloud visits after being there for 30 days, your son will have to send you the paper to sign authorizing them to do a background check and get you on his approved visitors list !! After Josh sent me the paper and I sent it back, it only took a week for my background check to come back and for me to be approved !! I knew I was approved before josh even did (i called the center) they told me I was approved and could visit ... so i went saturday and he just did get a paper in the mail yesterday (tuesday) saying I was approved !! So its really better to call, everyone i've talked to is really nice and understanding !!
I talk to Josh every day on the phone, sometimes twice (its expensive 3.58 for 15 minutes) BUT i'd go crazy not knowing what he was doing and what was going on !! He also says they sit outside all day (he already has his GED) I think the ones who are outside are the guys who already have a GED or HS diploma ... Josh will be starting his classes in October, has your son gotten any of his work hours in yet ?? ... In order to complete the program they have to have so many work hrs in, so if he doesnt want to sit outside all the time he can try to work a few days a week in the kitchen ... Josh has been workin in the kitchen Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and every other Wednesday (gives him something to do) and they pay them 40 dollars commensary a week !! Plus he just told me today that he already has all his work hrs in, so any work he does now is just voluntary !! The Anthony Center to me seems like a great place for young guys (Josh just turned 21) !! His only complaint is having to deal with some of the other guys in there, he says they like to play childish games to try N start fights (like takin ur pillows or hiding your shit ) !! From what josh says kinda seems like there are lots of fights between the guys in there, just hope it doesnt ever involve my guy, i'd hate for him to get shipped outta the Anthony center and have to do his original sentence (id never make it that long w/out him) I'm goin crazy just thinkin of the LONG 9 months ahead, I could only imagine 2-10 yrs !!!
Anyway let me know what building your son is in , maybe they kno each other !!
Old 09-16-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
My boyfriend has been at the Anthony Center since July 21st, so almost 2 months now ... Hmm maybe ur son and my boyfriend are in the same dorm , maybe they know each other !! They are aloud visits after being there for 30 days, your son will have to send you the paper to sign authorizing them to do a background check and get you on his approved visitors list !! After Josh sent me the paper and I sent it back, it only took a week for my background check to come back and for me to be approved !! I knew I was approved before josh even did (i called the center) they told me I was approved and could visit ... so i went saturday and he just did get a paper in the mail yesterday (tuesday) saying I was approved !! So its really better to call, everyone i've talked to is really nice and understanding !!
I talk to Josh every day on the phone, sometimes twice (its expensive 3.58 for 15 minutes) BUT i'd go crazy not knowing what he was doing and what was going on !! He also says they sit outside all day (he already has his GED) I think the ones who are outside are the guys who already have a GED or HS diploma ... Josh will be starting his classes in October, has your son gotten any of his work hours in yet ?? ... In order to complete the program they have to have so many work hrs in, so if he doesnt want to sit outside all the time he can try to work a few days a week in the kitchen ... Josh has been workin in the kitchen Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and every other Wednesday (gives him something to do) and they pay them 40 dollars commensary a week !! Plus he just told me today that he already has all his work hrs in, so any work he does now is just voluntary !! The Anthony Center to me seems like a great place for young guys (Josh just turned 21) !! His only complaint is having to deal with some of the other guys in there, he says they like to play childish games to try N start fights (like takin ur pillows or hiding your shit ) !! From what josh says kinda seems like there are lots of fights between the guys in there, just hope it doesnt ever involve my guy, i'd hate for him to get shipped outta the Anthony center and have to do his original sentence (id never make it that long w/out him) I'm goin crazy just thinkin of the LONG 9 months ahead, I could only imagine 2-10 yrs !!!
Anyway let me know what building your son is in , maybe they kno each other !!
Morning: Thanks. I will tell my sons'papa to call and check on this. It will be a month this Sunday. I don't know what building he is in but will ask him. Yes he does have his GED so that explains being outside all day which I think is not so good. Too much idle time for them along with that is tiring and boring. He does work in the kitchen also. Why do you say 9 months, is that how long it will take him to complete his program? I think Chad starts his program in November. I too have advise him not to get involved in stuff and to keep his nose clean. You don't want to get any writeups that is for sure. May I ask what part of WV do you live. I am from Morgantown but live in Orlando Florida now. I have been here since 1999 and hate it. People are always talking about hating WV and wanting to get away. I th ought the same thing but believe me I want to come back. My heart is there.
Yes the phone calls are expensive especially for me being way down here. So what I did was I bought a Net 10 phone, activated it with a phone number for the White Sulphur springs area. Now my calls are like 75 cents a call. I still have to pay Global ofcourse and the airtime and minutes for the phone but it is so much cheaper for me. I am really glad that I saw your post, it is so nice to talk to someone who has someone at the same place. This is so difficult for me as I am so far away from my son. Chad has had several chances to get his shit together and hoping this time this does it for him. I would also hate to have to see him do his original sentence (1-15) in a worst place. I look forward to your next post. Or my email is (Littleboooh@aol.com). Thanks.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:26 AM
wvdonovan

I see you got the Net10 phone to work...that is awesome! Makes such a difference, doesn't it? Good luck to both of you and your sons.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:42 AM

Hello again !! Anyway yes it is nice to talk to someone with a loved one at the same place, I didnt know if anyone on these forums had anyone they knew at the Anthony Center, you dont hear a lot about the place !! I'm Ashley, im 25, and from Buckhannon, lived here my whole life, and now have kids of my own, wouldnt want to raise them anywhere but Wv !! Not a lot goes on around here but once you have kids you like it that way. Have you ever thought about moving back ??
You said you are living in Orlando, was your son living in West Virginia, how did he end up in the Anthony Center ?? Does the Anthony Center just take in guys from Wv ?? Anyway I said 9 months because thats how long Josh said it normally takes to complete the program (if you do everything right and work at it) !! They told him it was 6 months - 2 years, but he said normally it takes longer than 6 months, more likely 9-10 . The way he says : The first couple months are set up for the people who still need to get a GED ~ the others like Josh and your son can either get work hrs in or sit outside (josh was burnt when i went last saturday from havin to be outside so much) oh and they also get evaluated and get signed up for their classes.... The next 8 wks (which josh starts in October) are for vocational classes. Then he thinks he'll have a month of other classes ~ like Substance Abuse, Anger Management and Accountability. The last few months are spent doing community service, work hours, getting everything in order to leave. He said the teachers are sometimes just not there and they have to have a week off for thanksgiving and x-mas (holidays) So there goes a few more months .... Josh says he should be done by April or May (if all goes well) !!
I thought about getting a net 10 phone and trying that, how did you have them give you a number for the White Sulphur Springs area ?? I wonder if that would work with Virgin Mobile phones (thats the cell phone i'm using now). I'm sure your calls were outragious being in Florida, to me 3.58 cents for 15 minutes seems horrible (i just get started talking, and it says 60 seconds remaining) !!
Well its nice talkin to you and let me kno about your son ... Have a Good Day
Old 09-16-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvdonovan View Post
I see you got the Net10 phone to work...that is awesome! Makes such a difference, doesn't it? Good luck to both of you and your sons.
Oh my goodness, you are a God send. I have been meaning to reply on here but just so much going on here lately. Yes what a difference in the costs. And I can talk longer without worrying. It really helps out so much. I did go ahead and buy a phone here, and works perfectly, in fact, I can hear him so much clearer. No interference, no tunnel sounds, wonderful phone. I want to thank you so so much for our patience with me with my 50 questions.

Thank you.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Hello again !! Anyway yes it is nice to talk to someone with a loved one at the same place, I didnt know if anyone on these forums had anyone they knew at the Anthony Center, you dont hear a lot about the place !! I'm Ashley, im 25, and from Buckhannon, lived here my whole life, and now have kids of my own, wouldnt want to raise them anywhere but Wv !! Not a lot goes on around here but once you have kids you like it that way. Have you ever thought about moving back ??
You said you are living in Orlando, was your son living in West Virginia, how did he end up in the Anthony Center ?? Does the Anthony Center just take in guys from Wv ?? Anyway I said 9 months because thats how long Josh said it normally takes to complete the program (if you do everything right and work at it) !! They told him it was 6 months - 2 years, but he said normally it takes longer than 6 months, more likely 9-10 . The way he says : The first couple months are set up for the people who still need to get a GED ~ the others like Josh and your son can either get work hrs in or sit outside (josh was burnt when i went last saturday from havin to be outside so much) oh and they also get evaluated and get signed up for their classes.... The next 8 wks (which josh starts in October) are for vocational classes. Then he thinks he'll have a month of other classes ~ like Substance Abuse, Anger Management and Accountability. The last few months are spent doing community service, work hours, getting everything in order to leave. He said the teachers are sometimes just not there and they have to have a week off for thanksgiving and x-mas (holidays) So there goes a few more months .... Josh says he should be done by April or May (if all goes well) !!
I thought about getting a net 10 phone and trying that, how did you have them give you a number for the White Sulphur Springs area ?? I wonder if that would work with Virgin Mobile phones (thats the cell phone i'm using now). I'm sure your calls were outragious being in Florida, to me 3.58 cents for 15 minutes seems horrible (i just get started talking, and it says 60 seconds remaining) !!
Well its nice talkin to you and let me kno about your son ... Have a Good Day
Hi Ashley:
Long story how I ended up here. Chad was only 5 when I left and I didn't want to uproot him, along with the fact that he and is papa were very close. I was just going through some rough times with myself. I had lived in WV all my life and was 45 when I left. I didn't realize just how much WV meant to me until the last few years. Ofcourse, I don't miss the snow and ice but do just miss home. Drastic move and the biggest mistake I ever made. Left Chad and that I am paying a price for now. Anyways, we are from Morgantown. And yes I would love to move back as I hate Florida, I have no family here except for my husband and he wouldn't not move back up north either. He is from NY.
Yes Chad is working the kitchen now and he already has his GED. Sitting outside is not a good situation to me. Can''t they come up with a another solution. Seems to me they are wasting time. Chad has started Alcohol abuse classes and anger management, however, the teacher has been out for vacation, which they need to either have a substitute or something. Chad is hoping to get out about that time also.
The phone, I just bought a Net 10 phone, then when I went on line to activate it, it asks you to put in the zip code of the area for your phone so I put in White Sulpher Springs area and got the 304 number. I was elated. The calls are 75 cents. I just have to add the money to Global and then buy how much airtime/talk time too. But it is so much cheaper. The phone I bought was about 30.00 and dag it works better than my own phone. The calls are so much clearer now. I hated it before because half the time I couldn't hear or understand what he was saying. I think Chad told me he has to work 180 hours, does that sound right. I think that most of the kids at ACC are from WV. As soon as Chad sends me the authorization paper and I get approved, I am planning a trip home so I can see him. I miss him so much. He usually came down and spent the summers with me. I miss him being that young little boy. Now he is grown. Enjoy your kids while you can. Got to go, Chat later.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Account Closed

I am gald to hear that you had a good visit. Once a week...all day would be so much better than NCRJ visiting 5 days a week for a half hour!!
good luck to you both. I hope he really sees how much you love him and stays out of trouble for you and your family.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:06 PM
wvdonovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleboooh View Post
Oh my goodness, you are a God send. I have been meaning to reply on here but just so much going on here lately. Yes what a difference in the costs. And I can talk longer without worrying. It really helps out so much. I did go ahead and buy a phone here, and works perfectly, in fact, I can hear him so much clearer. No interference, no tunnel sounds, wonderful phone. I want to thank you so so much for our patience with me with my 50 questions.

Thank you.
Absolutely anytime, hon. You were not a bother.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:35 AM

Hope everyone visiting their loved ones today or anytime this week have awesome visits, marvelous conversations and hopefully a few good hugs and kisses !! I'm almost ready then im off through the mountains of Wv, past the lil towns, down the curvy roads and to my newest favorite destination, 2 hrs from home ~ The Anthony Correctional Center and my Lovie (Joshua Dale) !!
Cathy I'll be thinkin of you & hoping you get to come up and see your son soon, I'm goin to ask Josh if he knows him today !!
Old 10-09-2010, 02:52 PM
My Husband is HOME!!!!!!!

Talking Acc

My Husband has been at Anthony Correctional Center since march it has been almost 7 months to good thing is that he already has his GED.
The visits are Great Besides their are Ignorant people who do stuff that they shouldnt they have nice officers! And the women who works on Satyrdays i just love her to death She is so nice to our child and me. Yes they do pat down make you take your shoes offf she goes by the rules!!!
The visits are cut off at 2:15 Now because they have to search everything but im 45 minutes awat from my husband so we get to visit every weekend!!!!!!!

His Loving & Faithful Wife
Old 10-10-2010, 11:56 AM

Yea the lady who works on Saturday is always really nice ,talks to everyone, I like her too !! Yea I posted that after my first visit , the search thing just wasnt what I expected, I got myself worked up thinkin it was gna be some extensive 10 minute strip search or sumthing, but the first time I went I didnt even take my shoes off, maybe she forgot... I was way nervous and had driven someone elses vehicle, had to go back outside twice - I didnt know the make of the vehicle- or license plate number, when I went back in more people had come in so hard to tell .... I like her and wasnt tryin to say or imply that she doesnt follow the rules .... it just wasnt what I expected , it seems like it would be pretty easy for someone to sneak shit in, granted you would want to risk doing that, BUT im sure that kind of thing goes on even in the most high security prisons, some things are unpreventable, and yes some people are just ignorant !! Oh well I enjoy my visits, and am glad im visiting there and not one of the prisons !!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:49 PM

Unhappy Locked Down ??

I guess where that Mr.Stump decided to run off all of the guys at the Anthony Center are locked down because of it. I havent heard from my Husband since 7:30am yesterday morning I stayed up half of the night last night wishing i could just lay their and he call He only has 6 weeks left!!!!! I am so Proud of him. We have about 47 or 48 days left and only about 13 Visits left!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot wait then Ill be Happy from their on once he gets home!
It will be 9 months without him! But we have made it all the way through this!!!!!!

But i really do hope that the Warden will let them call & let us get to visit him this weekend! The Baby is looking forward for the BOTH of them
Old 10-28-2010, 02:24 PM

Me again. Chad just finally called his papa. However, he got 2 write ups, one for walking to the bathroom on the wrong side of the hall and one he was outside and he wanted a drink of water and he pushed the button to get into the kitchen. That was for being in there when he wasn't suppose to but Chad said that the guard told him to go anyways. Guess he has the little hearing on the 3rd and 5th. Has your man ever gotton written up. Will Chad get a loss of privilges for that.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:53 AM

Havent really been online much but

BrandonsBride - Yea me and another girl whos fiance is in the same dorm with Josh talk back and forth on the phone and relay messages for each other if one of us doesnt hear from our guy ... she hadnt heard from her fiance and I hadnt heard from josh - so I looked it up and realized that Jed (who is actually from my town) had ran !! Will your husband be getting out pretty close to the 9 month mark ?? Josh and I have been tryin to figure out approx. what month he will be getting out (just thinkin ahead) !! He went to the Anthony Center July 21st , he already has a GED, he was supposed to start vocation this week (the 1st) but because of Jed runnin everything was pushed back a week and he doesnt start vocation till Monday !! Is ur husband done with vocation ?? What did he take ?? Josh is signed up for Auto Mechanics ... how hard is it to get a job plan lined up for them ?? I'm worried about that !! But anyway congrats on having only 6 weeks left, i'm sure your excited and ur daughter probably cant wait to get her daddy home !! I have 2 little girls as well, situations different tho, Josh and I have only been together since my youngest was born, and she wont be 2 untill February, so NO Josh isnt the dad of either of mine, and we havent really been together for a long time but if I were in ur situation I think the hardest part would be my kids not having their daddy around or having to leave at the end of the visit without daddy !! I remember the first visit I had down there with Josh, I started crying in the middle of our visit, not because of Josh but because their was an inmate and his dad sitting behind us, the dad had brought the guys 2 little kids (whom were adorable) to visit and at the end of their visit the inmates little boy (probably 3 yrs old) started crying , didnt want to let go of daddy, the inmates dad told the little boy "daddy has to go back to work now, you'll see him soon" .... It was the saddest thing EVER and I couldnt help but cry ... so I kno it has to be hard, I couldnt imagine !! But at least the hardest parts for you are over and its only a short time before your husband will be home !!

Littleboooh - How have you been ?? I've been workin a lot lately and havent had much time to get on the computer !! Thanks for relayin the message from Josh to put money on my phone ... lol ... he knew I was mad and just didnt feel like talkin to him (we had gotten into it over a damn halloween costume, but things are ok now)
How is chad doing ? Will he be starting his vocation soon ? Josh and Chad are in the same dorm right ? Josh has gotten written up a couple of times over petty stuff - some guy flipp'd a rubber band across the room and it landed under Joshs bunk, he picked it up and took it back to the guy, got written up for it .... then he was cleaning up the dorm (he really is a neat freak) was dusting and I guess he accidently bumped the camera and they wrote him up for that too ! BUT everytime he has went for his hearings he has beat them and hasnt gotten put on LOP, sometimes I think they just write them up over the petty stuff to see how they'll react to getting the write up ... I dont know ... but 9 times out of 10 if Chad goes in and tells the judge guy the truth about what happened he'll probably beat the write up too .... JOSH ALWAYS HAS !! Let me kno how things go !!
Old 11-04-2010, 07:00 AM

yeah he will probley get probation or LOP for 17-31 days which means no phone no nothing!
Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 AM

Red face counting down the days!

Yes. It will be 9 months when he gets home! The good thing about us is we are just 45 minutes away!!!!!! But the calls are still ridicolus!!!!!! Its crazy. Yes My Husband took Auto he already has a job waiting for him when he gets out Hopefully (a few weeks) besides that freakin guy runnning which was STUPID and i see they gave him a $50,000 Bond.
If it was some other they would have gotten more!!!!!! It is hard still leaving him and only being 45 mins away from him but we visit both days the full time so it does help out alot!!!!!!1
Old 07-23-2014, 12:43 PM

Question im nervous

hi all..My son was sentenced to the ACC yesterday when he went to court..Can anyone please give me any info on how this works? I think the judge said he has to get his GED and a work trait while there..Ive heard sooo many things about this place but im not sure what to believe..Is it really as bad as they say it is?