Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MINNESOTA > Minnesota General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Minnesota General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Minnesota that do not fit into any other Minnesota sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-18-2004, 02:04 PM

Default I.C.W.C. So many people want to know what it is....

Institution Community Work Crew
Affordable Homes Program (ICWC)
Background
  • The ICWC/AHP began in April 1998 with a $700,000 legislative appropriation to build affordable houses for low-income families. The appropriation is maintained in a revolving fund to provide construction loans to build houses. Loans are repaid as homes are sold.
  • Carefully selected, non-dangerous, minimum-security inmates construct the homes under thehttp://www.doc.state.mn.us/aboutdoc/...ges/1words.jpg supervision of a qualified construction foreman. Offenders are housed in local jails when not on the construction site.
  • ICWC/AHP crew members are paid up to $1.50 per hour for their labor, from which they must pay family support, restitution, and into a fund for victims. Inmates start at a pay rate of $1.00 per hour and recieve a .25 cent raise every three months
  • Partnerships have been formed with several community action agencies who develop projects, find construction sites, market the homes, and assist buyers in qualifying to purchase the homes.
Benefits
  • ICWC/AHP helps address a housing shortage for low-income families. It helps citizens realize the "American Dream" by providing a much-improved living setting for families who otherwise do not have resources to purchase a single-family home.
  • New homes are targeted to sell to households earning 80 percent or less of the statewide median income adjusted for family size.
  • The program creates a positive way for non-dangerous offenders to repay society for their crimes and learn skills that can help them become productive members of society. They learn the value of work and work ethics.
  • A vocational training program for ICWC/AHP crews has been developed in consultation with Associated General Contractors of Minnesota. This partnership with the construction industry provides crew members with practical industry training and an opportunity for a career in construction upon release.
Homes Completed
  • Crews have completed 130 homes in west central and northwestern Minnesota since the program began. All have been or are in the process of being sold to buyers who meet established income criteria. Construction funds came from the ICWC/AHP revolving fund and the Minnesota Housing Finance Agency.
  • Seven crews will construct approximately 40 new homes during the 2003-2004 season.
  • Twenty-two homes have been renovated under the Minnesota Urban Renewal Program and sold to low-income families.
  • In northwestern Minnesota, nearly 40 homes have been repaired for senior citizens through the Area Agency on Aging Program, and over 20 flood-damaged homes have been repaired for low-income families in partnership with the Regional Development Commission.

I was on this program for a little over a year. I found that it was a highly motivational program that really led to good things for me in the end. I learned a good skill, and have continued to work in this field after my release.
This program also offers the ability to go out into the community and give back. Inmates are housed at local county jails, and given opportunities to have passes where they can go out shopping, go to the mall, spend time with their family, they are also given the opportunity to attend AA/NA meetings in the community as well as attend church services in the community.
If anyone has any questions about this program that this thread doesn't cover please feel free to post a question in here and i will answer it as soon as i can.
I was in the ICWC program out of Ottertail County in Fergus Falls, Minnesota which is where i now reside...

Peter Haugen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ICWC.jpg (9.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg ICWC3.jpg (12.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg ICWC 2.jpg (15.8 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Peter Haugen; 09-18-2004 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: add pictures and edit text
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2004, 07:52 PM
Never Give Up!

Thanks so much for that info and your your personal perspective, and the photos. Eddy has asked me to find out what I can on ICWC, I think he's going to shoot for it when he gets to that point. We've got a ways to go yet, but it never hurts to know ahead of time what it's like.
I do have a question: what are some things that would exclude an inmate from participating? Other than being a violent offender I mean. Oh and at what point away from his SRD can an inmate apply to ICWC? Thanks Peter!!!

Kim
Wife to Eddy
My Love, My Life
Old 09-18-2004, 09:58 PM

A violent offence will not keep anyone out of ICWC. A good friend of mine was convicted of 2nd degree murder, and he is currently on ICWC in Ottertail County.
An inmate can go to the program when they are minimum custody (4 yrs left) on sentence. It is a great program and i encourage everyone who can participate in it to do so.
The only thing that i remember that would exclude inmates from ICWC are the following

1) Sex Offender can not participate in this programming
2) Repeated rule infractions
3) If an inmate gets into fights (more than two) where it shows it is a problem then the county jails probably won't look at him.

The MDOC accepts the inmate, then forwards his file to the participating counties. Once a county has accepted him, the inmate is transfered to Lino Lakes and then up to the local County Jail where he will start the program

Hope this helps

Peter
Old 09-19-2004, 06:57 AM
Never Give Up!

Ok, well Eddy's a nonviolent offender (he's in on a drug charge), is 100% discipline free, and has 75 months left, and is in Lino now in IFI. So are you saying that at 4 years til SRD he can apply to ICWC or can he apply prior to the 4 years, but won't get transferred to ICWC until he's at 48 months?

Daviewmaster's husband was not accepted into ICWC due to "mental health" issues (which were, from what I understand, not ever present) and some physical ailments, with his feet, neck and back? Am I right, Tina?

Now that concerned me because Eddy had/has mental health issues, like so many addicts. He's seeing a psychologist regularly and has been on a variety of mood stabilizing medications. He's now taking Buspar, and it has helped. I just don't want that hx of depression/anxiety, medications and his seeing a psychologist to interfere with his being accepted into the ICWC program.

Kim
Wife to Eddy
My Love, My Life
Old 09-19-2004, 10:39 AM

What a lot of wonderful information!!!
Question? Is this something that could be available to Faribault MN prisoners?
There are a lot of DWI cases of prisoners, making the wrong choices to drink and drive, that just need some direction in their young lives............and most are wonderful individuals, that need something to do.........and like you said to pay back for things they have done..........I believe it would be very healing for them..........."MOST FEEL BAD NOW"
What a wonderful way to help these people out!!!
God Bless YOU for continuing to CARE !!!!! And to make a difference !!!!
Old 09-19-2004, 12:04 PM

Eddies Wife, Yes you are right about the mental health issues.

That would be something that i am sure that they would look at for any programming that he would apply for. I know about Daviewmaster's situation, Her and I have actively been trying to email and write to our representatives and our contacts that we have to try to get his changed and we might have made some good headway the last couple of weeks. They are listening and thats what is importaint. As far as him seeing a psychologist, I think he would need to discuss this option with his caseworker and his Psych.
He can apply before the 4 year mark, he just can not be transfered to the program until he is to that 4 year mark. With the way the MDOC point system requirements are currently, in order to turn level 2 minimum you have to be at the 48 month mark. So he could sit with one point above the Minimum level two custody points for two years and not drop that last point until he has 48 months. They do what is called a cutody point freeze.

Here again, ailments to feet, back, and neck, or anything else could also be affected. If a person has a bad back, then he can't really climb a ladder or up on roof trusses. Carpentry/construction also has a lot of heavy lifting involved, so while he may be able to sign a waiver in order to get accepted by the MDOC, the individual counties look at his file and may pass that person over unless that person has expressed that he feels that they can handle performing the various tasks. And while a person is in the program if the program director feels that it is too much to handle, they could be sent back to minimum.
I would reccomend, that you have Eddy have his psychologist make a reccomandation for his being placed into the program. Give the psychologist a heads up leting him know that you want to enter the program, and by talking with him, ask him to give a favorable reccomandation. (and hopefully he will) that would be a world of help when it comes to putting the paperwork through. Has Eddy been through treatment??? This also helps...

any other questions i would be happy to answer them

Peter
Old 09-19-2004, 12:12 PM

Eclipse,

Yes this is available for all Minnesota Department of Corrections inmates that are elligble and fit the criteria. I will try and get the MDOC to fax me a copy of the criteria and post it on here so everyone will be able to see where they fit in. Of course one thing that is mandated is that if they are mandated for treatment they must first complete that. This is the problem we are having with Daviewmaster, we can't seem to get her husband moved through to treatment. Which is one of the steps he needs to complete before he would be able to go. But we are also dealing with some other things going on with the MDOC on that subject so please go to her petition thread and sign that. Every name will be of a great help

Thank You

Peter
Old 09-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Never Give Up!

Peter, no he hasn't gone through drug treatment yet, although he has a treatment directive. They moved him from St. Cloud Receiving to Rush City, and Rush City HAS no treatment programs available. Believe me, that was one of the things I was pointing out bigtime when I demanded his transfer out of RC. He's only been in Lino Lakes since the second week in August and he's immersed in the IFI program there, so I'm not sure when they'll even put him into drug treatment. He WANTS to go, but getting them to get him into it is another matter *sigh*
Wish I'd read your reply earlier, Eddy just called, and I could have told him all of this. Well, we talk all the time so I'll tell him later today or tomorrow. Thanks so much for your information Peter, as always!

Kim
Wife to Eddy
My Love, My Life

Last edited by EddysWife; 09-19-2004 at 12:35 PM..
Old 09-19-2004, 12:59 PM

being that he is in Lino now, he has a good opportunity to get into treatment since lino is a treatment facility. He might get a better push too being in IFI. I am sure that they want eddy to get all the help that he can, and want to see him suceed. Thank goodness he is out of Rush City. I wouldn't wish that place on my worst enemy.

Take Care

Peter
Old 09-19-2004, 06:05 PM

I thought my ears were ringing--you guys were talking about me! That's okay, there's no bad publicity--the more people who know about the idiocy that is the DOC the better! Peter didn't tell the best part, which is that, in the same day again, I heard two different stories from the DOC! From the Central office I received an email from that Margaret chick again, who said, "Our health services department has examined your husband's medical records and has found no inaccuracies and no inconsistancies. He should apply for programming that is more appropriate for his situation." And the same day my husband met with Faribault health services and they said they could not find any evidence of "psychiatric hospitalizations" and no evidence to support the Axis II notation of antisocial personality traits! So one side is saying there is nothing wrong with the file, while the other says there is almost nothing right! Ya gotta love it! So now we wait....there is no reason for my husband to not get into ICWC. He is not a sex offender, is as strong as an ox, no fights, no infractions, just these lies in his file and the treatment directive! I will keep fighting for it, because he deserves it and should not be punished because they screwed up. He deserves the chance to show what he can do and to get the training and experience that he is being denied! It is a wonderful program, and we should be allowed to participate. We have done nothing to warrant denial!
Old 09-21-2004, 07:02 AM

Thanks for all the information. I wasn't sure what this program was all about. It sounds a bit like the Sentencing To Service (STS) program that is available at the County Jails. I was involved with that program during my one year jail sentence. We did lots of work in the community (road clean up, controlled burns, State Park work etc) and I ended up earning one month of time off of my sentence. I would recommend the program.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:48 AM
Never Give Up!

Peter: Talked to Eddy yesterday about all this and I guess he's a few steps ahead of us LOL! He's already talked to his psychologist who said his condition will absolutely NOT preclude him from ICWC participation. About the treatment piece: While IFI does have CD treatment incorporated into the program, he's going to be proactive and try to get into TRIAD after IFI graduation. Also, before he was sentenced, he sat some time in Ottertail county and had spoken to someone who does the ICWC program there and has been in contact with him since, and the guy said he'd accept Eddy provided he stays eligible for ICWC by the time he's at that 48 month mark, and that would be the county he's trying to go to when it comes time. So I think we're on the right track here!

Kim
Wife to Eddy
My Love, My Life
Old 09-21-2004, 07:53 AM
Hate Oklahoma DOC

What can we do to get this started in other states? Like Oklahoma !
Old 09-21-2004, 09:16 AM

ICWC was initially funded with a 700,000 loan from the state, so basically you could go about it by getting all the information together, bring it to the Oklahoma Dept. of corrections, and to your local state representatives. Tell them this is a opportunity to make money for the state, cause we all know that most states don't want to do much with extra proggraming unless they can make some money. So tell the state reps that this is a great money maker. Give them the benifits they would be looking for.

This is how much money is being made

Avg house ICWC builds (ottertail wadena CAC) is selling between 70,000 to 90,000.
It costs approximatly 35,000 to 40,000 to build the houses with six inmates making an avg. of 1.25 per hour and employing a skilled carpenter to supervise the construciton. So between the county and state, and community action council, they are making 30 to 50 thousand per house. I know that in ottertail county there is two crews of six inmates and that each crew builds approximatly 7 houses a year. Do the math and the state and counties make out like bandits. Especially when most of these houses are built in local rural towns that give away the lots, so that they can increase thier population. I know when i was involved with ICWC that many lots were just given to us.

Peter
Old 09-21-2004, 05:02 PM

Great News !!! I just got a call from my son a couple days ago ,and told me he is going to be starting the treatment program sooooooooooon !!! I hope many are going to be able to take it !!!! Heads up Guys !!!
Not sure what is going on, because I was told they can't do that until just before they get out !!!! This is in Faribault !!!! My son said NO it is not because I am getting out....
But Hey this is Good News!!!!
Will keep in touch, and thank you for keeping in touch !!! I may be getting way too excited, but I think this will be great for these guys !!!! A step in the right direction, if it means nothing else !!!
Old 09-21-2004, 05:08 PM

Also that program sounds so wonderful, and would be so good for so many people, to get on their feet.............I am sure would give them hope, and become much better citizens, when released !!!! Wow !!!! I guess I can't say enough !!!
Old 10-12-2004, 08:02 AM
Never Give Up!

Awesome news Eclipse!!!

Eddy's still aiming for ICWC. He said upon his graduation from IFI he'll go directly into treatment, and when that's completed he'll be more or less at the 48 month mark and SHOULD be able to go to minimum at that point, then to ICWC. He's pretty excited, enough that the fact that he's at 74 months til SRD doesn't bother him as much as it once did LOL!!!!

Kim
Wife to Eddy
My Love, My Life
Old 10-12-2004, 02:10 PM

good for ya'll. I think he will really like ICWC and you will to once he starts his passes.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:05 PM

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside Out
Thanks for all the information. I wasn't sure what this program was all about. It sounds a bit like the Sentencing To Service (STS) program that is available at the County Jails. I was involved with that program during my one year jail sentence. We did lots of work in the community (road clean up, controlled burns, State Park work etc) and I ended up earning one month of time off of my sentence. I would recommend the program.
it does sound like you said and looking into the sts program but needing for info on it. you can also pm me. also this ic.w.c gives me another option on my case.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:26 AM

And we call China and India third world countries for their cheap labor and poor paying conditions. We criticize the so called sweat shops and here we are in America promoting the same under the guise of making cheep and affordable housing for poor families yet we're not too concerned about our imprisoned loved ones making next to nothing in wages that would barley buy them a cake of soap or a tube of tooth paste. wow, I'm truly blown away.