Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in Georgia should be posted here.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:59 PM

Unhappy Parole violation and 6 month waiver

My son is on parole and got a charge relative to an ex-girlfriend. She alleged that he wrote 2 checks without her knowledge totalling $280.00. She also states in her complaint that she had given him permission to write one while she was out of town. I have statement from the store owner where checks were written and that she did know about checks because he called and got her permission to cash them. the checks cleared in May and then she stopped payment and then he got the checks back this week. He has also fax his statement to the detective handling the case as well as spoke to him. Even though parole office (dekalb County) already knows this, they want my son to sign a six month waiver going back to prison. Anyone ever had any experience with this kind of situation? Oh, i almost forgot to mention, he moved from her in June and then all of the charges came forth. Any information would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 PM

If he signs the waiver all he is agreeing to is to have his parole revoked without a hearing and the 6 months just means that his case will be reviewed again in six months- IT DOES NOT MEAN HE WILL GET OUT IN SIX MONTHS. We went through this and my bf's charges got dropped and he still ended up doing 20 months. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitn4mybaby View Post
If he signs the waiver all he is agreeing to is to have his parole revoked without a hearing and the 6 months just means that his case will be reviewed again in six months- IT DOES NOT MEAN HE WILL GET OUT IN SIX MONTHS. We went through this and my bf's charges got dropped and he still ended up doing 20 months. Good luck.
thank you for sharing that. my son said that he wasn't going to sign it and take his chances with the review board. i don't know which is the best route. he has a little over 3 years left on parole.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:41 PM

I know it can be scary and my bf's po told him if he didn't sign the waiver then he was going to ask the board to revoke all of his time, we were still with the understanding that he would be released in 6 months, I didn't find out until the six months was up that all that meant was his file was reviewed and they revoked an additional 13 months. There really is no easy answer, many times the po just wants them to sign the waiver because it means a lot less work for them. We were scared and didn't know where to turn so he signed it and truthfully I don't know if it would have made much difference at all as far as the outcome it may have ended up being the same either way. I just wanted you to know what the six month waiver really means cause I didn't know and was devastated when I found out. Best of luck to you and your family and God Bless!!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 06:17 AM

Thanks for that information. My son's PO spoke to me first telling me about the 6 mo waiver. He did make it sound like it was a 6 month retrieve. Now he also said that he would not make my son sign this, but then he would go before the review board. My son's attorney took all information of the events just yesterday. He was told not to sign anything without speaking to them. So far, the PO has not presented the waiver. GOD is great. A lot of prayers from friends. Again, thank you for your blessings.
The Following User Says Thank You to piscean28 For This Useful Post:
waitn4mybaby (07-10-2010)
Old 07-11-2010, 03:46 PM

Thanked 1,922 Times in 845 Posts

So, she is retaliating against him for leaving her.

If I had a client in this position, I would advise him to fight the parole violation. If you have a written statement from the store owner that he called the girlfriend and confirmed that the checks were written and signed with her knowledge and permission, then your son has a good case.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Lawyer View Post
So, she is retaliating against him for leaving her.

If I had a client in this position, I would advise him to fight the parole violation. If you have a written statement from the store owner that he called the girlfriend and confirmed that the checks were written and signed with her knowledge and permission, then your son has a good case.
Thanks for the advice. he has a public defender now, which did advice him not to sign any waiver. He was detained on parole violation on just her complaint. the detective didn't file the warrant until 5 days later. this woman in her statement did say that she gave him permission to write a check to send her money while out of town, but after he left she says she didn't know about the other 2 checks which cleared the bank in two days in May and he was still with her. it is just what you said, retaliation.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:15 PM

piscean~

Know that no good will come to her for lying. It is amazing how spiteful some people can be and then wonder why they have such horrible luck.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali2335 View Post
piscean~

Know that no good will come to her for lying. It is amazing how spiteful some people can be and then wonder why they have such horrible luck.
You are so right. She already has numerous medical issues. You would think that she would carefully think out her actions. My son really had taken on much more than he needed. Even now while he still sits in jail, says ma I don't hate her, I just want this to be over. She's 10 years older than him. Now who's the mature one?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:21 PM

Hello my fiance was just transferred to coastal state prison, july 6, he was given a year for violation of probation. i havent spoken to him so i dont know what is going on there. i spoke to a counselor at coastal and she said they had a 3 mnth n 6mnth program i wud have to call back tues july 13 to find out which one he was in, i looked on doc website and his maximum release date is in 9months. i am sooooooooo confused any and all info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitn4mybaby View Post
Did he do time until his max out date?
Old 07-23-2020, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,457 Times in 3,676 Posts

Welcome to PTO, Kiki31520.

I don't think we ever got a follow up from jackiekay. If you look at the upper left-hand corner of each post, you'll see the date it was posted. Since the last post was posted about 10 years ago, it is (unfortunately) unlikely that we will