Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Bureau of Prisons Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Bureau of Prisons Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information. Please use this forum to share information concerning Covid -19 in the Federal Prison System. Please do not discuss individuals who have the virus.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:46 AM

Default COVID - Positive in Prison, How to Survive?

I have now heard that almost all of certain units have tested positive in many prisons, my LO is currently in FMC Carswell, these inmates are getting no info on what to do if they become positive *besides quarantine8, my LO is terrified, she just asked me for "ALL the info on Covid", well thats impossible. Has anyone thought of creating a list or article of things inmates can do once they receive a positive result. They are at a loss of resources like many of us, what can they do in prison to either tame symptoms, or make sure they come out alive???

Come on PrisonTalk, we can do this, come up with something we can send our loved ones to make sure they take all the necessary steps to increase chances of survival.. I would come up with this, but I don't have the answers...
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2020, 09:59 AM

Default CDC for Correctional Facilities and Prisons

CDC has a Guidance for Correctional Facilities article published, going to print and send to my LO, as I said before they are so lost and clueless right now
Old 07-20-2020, 11:52 AM
Donation Award 

Many of the prisons are not following the guidelines. My son has been at two CORE CIVIC prisons awaiting transfer to a federal prison and neither one followed guidelines. No masks, no cleaning supplies, no social distancing. At the current one in Nevada CORE CIVIC, he is in a cell alone. They are reducing time out of cells and reducing phone calls. He said someone handed him the phone in his cell for his first free 15-minute call at it was at 1 am in the morning!! Woke me up. Have not heard since from him on COVID conditions, but he said then Saturday morning some had tested positive.

There is a lack of testing supplies, lack of masks, gloves, cleaning supplies across the prison system. So you can dent the guidelines, but they are not being followed at many places. They are being locked down in cells in many places to reduce the close proximity to others.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (07-21-2020), fbopnomore (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 01:44 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,981 Times in 13,762 Posts

It is totally up to whatever the bop decides to do, or not do, the same for any disease. There are no "second opinions", urgent care facilities, or emergency rooms, so if someone is sent back to their cell to die, which happens far too often in the bop, that's what you do.

There may be alternatives since you are still your best, and maybe only advocate. The two that I personally encountered I was still able to prevail (I'm still alive).

#1; I required an antibiotic to treat a raging infection. I went to sick call on Friday, but was run off, "come back Monday". I told the physician's assistant "that's what you told the other guy last week, and he died on Sunday" (true). Answer "get out of here now, or go to the hole". I left but waited for shift change, went to the chow hall for the next meal, threw my tray down and "collapsed". I was carried back to the "hospital, LOL, I called it the quack shack" and left with an antibiotic from the new PA.

#2 I was saved by the only MD on staff when he overruled the "custody lieutenant" who forbid them from calling an ambulance because "he's faking his 104 temperature". I nearly died anyway after spending 5 days in a coma, in intensive care at the local hospital because I had MRSA meningitis and encephalitis (which I definitely wasn't faking}. The prison wasn't quite finished either. The hospital asked the prison for permission to perform a "lumbar puncture, aka a spinal tap" in order to diagnose my illness. The answer (possibly from that same custody lieutenant) was no, but the doctor later told me what happened, and his answer, do the test anyway.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:28 AM

Default Covid

For advice for my friend, what are recommendations that an individual inmate can do to help survival odds or handle the symptoms given their limited resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGA62 View Post
Many of the prisons are not following the guidelines. My son has been at two CORE CIVIC prisons awaiting transfer to a federal prison and neither one followed guidelines. No masks, no cleaning supplies, no social distancing. At the current one in Nevada CORE CIVIC, he is in a cell alone. They are reducing time out of cells and reducing phone calls. He said someone handed him the phone in his cell for his first free 15-minute call at it was at 1 am in the morning!! Woke me up. Have not heard since from him on COVID conditions, but he said then Saturday morning some had tested positive.

There is a lack of testing supplies, lack of masks, gloves, cleaning supplies across the prison system. So you can dent the guidelines, but they are not being followed at many places. They are being locked down in cells in many places to reduce the close proximity to others.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:31 AM

Not sure if I shared, but my LO's COVID test came back positive, she is 28 years old, her whole unit but 5 tested positive
The Following User Says Thank You to ZNasty6612 For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 06:16 PM

Shoot! I am no medical doctor, but from news resources, the best she could do is to take measures to 1) lessen symptoms (do whatever makes herself fell better), and 2) build up immunity so she can fight off the virus (vitamin C, D; nutrition, and when she gets better, work out regularly to become stronger).

She has the gift of youth, caring family and friends. She will win over the virus. Remind her of that!
The Following User Says Thank You to AyaStar For This Useful Post:
ZNasty6612 (07-22-2020)