Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Washington General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Washington that do not fit into any other Washington sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:46 PM

Default Denture Issues

My husband has full dentures. He needs the denture tabs to clean his dentures properly. The jail has taken out the denture tabs from commissary. He is having to use soap and water or toothbrush and toothpaste. This is not allowing all the removal of the bacteria. Medical says it is not a medical issue. Can anyone help me with this? We are in the Regional Justice Center in Kent Washington, King County. Thank you for any input you can give.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/pto/buttons/quote.gif
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2011, 12:36 AM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathybear85 View Post
My husband has full dentures. He needs the denture tabs to clean his dentures properly. The jail has taken out the denture tabs from commissary. He is having to use soap and water or toothbrush and toothpaste. This is not allowing all the removal of the bacteria. Medical says it is not a medical issue. Can anyone help me with this? We are in the Regional Justice Center in Kent Washington, King County. Thank you for any input you can give.
I've been trying to find some security rational for the removal of denture cleaning tabs and just can't find anything that would actually make sense. For example, dental floss can be used to saw through bars. But efervesent denture cleaner? Quite a number of inmates have dentures and it hardly constitutes any kind of "exotic" item.

Have you called the facility to ask why they are not sold? I understand that the medical staff probably doesn't consider the removal of "all the bacteria" a really big issue, since oral hygiene isn't a huge priority for a lot of inmates, but certainly some are conscious of it.

It would be worth a phone call to ask what the reasoning was. I'd be curious to know.

Last edited by Scott; 10-23-2011 at 12:38 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post:
kathybear85 (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 01:21 AM
My ❤ is in Cali Moderator
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathybear85 View Post
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/pto/buttons/quote.gif
My first suggestion would be to gather up the literature to suggest that regular use of standard toothpaste can actually be damaging to dentures due to their abrasive nature.
CDCr kicked him out of the SHU, YAY!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sammy's Girl For This Useful Post:
kathybear85 (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I've been trying to find some security rational for the removal of denture cleaning tabs and just can't find anything that would actually make sense. For example, dental floss can be used to saw through bars. But efervesent denture cleaner? Quite a number of inmates have dentures and it hardly constitutes any kind of "exotic" item.

Have you called the facility to ask why they are not sold? I understand that the medical staff probably doesn't consider the removal of "all the bacteria" a really big issue, since oral hygiene isn't a huge priority for a lot of inmates, but certainly some are conscious of it.

It would be worth a phone call to ask what the reasoning was. I'd be curious to know.
Thank you Scott! I am planning on calling them tomorrow. It really bothers me that they dont seem to take this seriously. My husband has had his dentures for less than a year. I am working things from out here and he is trying to work things from inside. Thanks again!!!!