Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status All discussions relating to specific Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison units, Texas State Jails & Private prisons, and County Jails.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:45 AM

Question My boyfriend just signed his orders for safp. Johnston Unit SAFP TX Prison

I'm so new to this...I'm feeling quite overwhelmed and lost. My boyfriend was on probation and got a dwi. He signed his papers to go to safp last Thursday. As far as we know he is going to the Johnston unit in Winnsboro, TX (he's just waiting to catch a chain there). I just can't seem to find answers to any of my questions. If anyone out there can help, it would mean the world to me. Everything I'm hearing is so contradictory and I just don't know what to believe...PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!

1. Does anyone know the area code that the safp Winnsboro calls route through? (Trying to get a local number and save a little money.)

2. Is there a contact phone number for the unit? (I'd like to talk to someone there who can tell me more about the program.)

3. I've heard from a few places that because of overcrowding right now that once he goes, as long as he works through the program and shows a genuine effort then he could be home in 6 as little as months after starting the program, with no halfway house, but if he messes up then he'll do 9 months and 3 months halfway house. Is this true?

4. Also if he goes to a halfway house after safp, I've heard that he could earn a furlow for the weekend to come home or get a hotel room?

5. Visitations? Do they let "non-family" members (girlfriends/fiances) visit? Is there a waiting period before they're allowed visitation?

6. Once they reach the unit, do they get to make a phone call? Or how long until they can make their 1st call?

7. Letters? How many can they receive/send? Is there a waiting period on that too? Cards? Pictures? How many can he get or keep with him? Care packages? What can you send them, if anything?

8. I sent him a letter recently (to where he is now waiting to catch a chain to safp) that had a small paper oragami heart (less than the size of a half dollar) in it. I told him in the letter that it was in there, and he didn't get it. It made me really mad, because geez, it was just a piece of paper. It made me feel like whatever guard they have reading their mail only did it to be an (expletive)! Are they not allowed to get things like that?

9. Do they offer GED classes or college courses he can take while there?

10. I've been told that when he gets home things will be made so difficult for that him not being able to meet their requirements is almost a certainty...that they will drug test him several (up to 10-15) times/week (not a problem), that he will have lots of classes, court dates, probation meetings and other things he's required to attend (and that if he were even a minute late, they violate him), that he'll have a 10pm curfew, that they will come to your house for field visits (sometimes more than once a night, sometimes not at all) and even if it's 2am and you don't answer the door it's considered an automatically failed UA. Also I've heard there's a possibility that he'll be on an ankle monitor (like we can afford that too!) Has anyone else heard these things too? Or been through them?

My questions could go on forever...and trying to get answers from his probation officer or anyone else working for "the man" is near impossible. I'm trying to stay positive about this, it's just hard not knowing anything to expect. I want to know anything and everything I can about this program...the facility, the staff, aftercare (if there is any), and what is it like when they get home? I love my sweet handsome man more than anything in this world and am praying like crazy for the days to pass quickly so he can be back home with me, where he belongs. Anything helps!!! Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Last edited by snstar0286; 12-21-2011 at 12:01 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2011, 11:59 AM

You can look it up on the tdc website http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/unit_directory/jt.html
That one is for the johnston unit.
I thought my honey would go there but he was moved to henderson. You can use the tdc website to find where his been moved to as soon as you find out his been moved too. Thats how i found my honey and info before he could contact me to let me know.

Proverbs31 Ministries link is devotional called stir it up. http://devotions.proverbs31.org/2011...aign=encftdevo
Old 12-21-2011, 12:07 PM
BB ♥'s BB

Maybe checking out the Texas state forum on PTO would also be helpful. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:42 PM

Default TDOC...why was my thread about safp in winnsboro texas moved?

So I just got an email that said my thread was moved to a different one about Tennessee...why is that, if the questions I have are relating to safp in Winnsboro Texas??? I'm really getting aggravated with not being able to access this site. I don't know how to create a post versus a thread. What am I doing wrong?!?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:46 PM

Hmmm mabey it was a mistake. Cuz really this should be moved to texas. Or The johnston prison unit http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/for...rune=-1&f=1129

Proverbs31 Ministries link is devotional called stir it up. http://devotions.proverbs31.org/2011...aign=encftdevo
Old 12-21-2011, 12:50 PM

Default ...mistake

Do you think I should try to repost in the correct thread?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:54 PM

Hmmm mabey or mabey they can move it for you? I don't know how you contact them to ask though. I haven't been on this site very long. But I have found it to be helpful for me.
Did the email give you an option to email them back?

Old 12-21-2011, 01:26 PM

no...it was just one of those "do not reply" emails, so I just went ahead and reposted it the Johnston unit forum. Now...to figure out how to delete this one lol
Old 12-21-2011, 01:30 PM
BB ♥'s BB

If you still need help perhaps you could send a personal message to one of the site moderators listed on the far right hand column of the forum list. There are specific ones for each forum, but I am guessing any one of them can point you in the right direction. Hope you find what you need!

Last edited by Sad_Eyes; 12-21-2011 at 01:31 PM..
Old 05-18-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snstar0286 View Post
no...it was just one of those "do not reply" emails, so I just went ahead and reposted it the Johnston unit forum. Now...to figure out how to delete this one lol
If you ever find out any of this information, PLEASE let me know. My fiance will be sent there by the middle of next month and I'm freaking out bc I can't find out anything. I've been to the TDCJ website and I already know that information, I want to know the stuff you want to know!LOL
Old 05-18-2012, 11:52 AM

Johnnyswife...private message me and I will tell you everything you need to know! My love should be coming home in July! The time has gone by so fast!!! It's been a great learning and growing experience for us both, albeit extremely trying at times! Honestly, in a way, we are both glad for this experience. Hope to talk to you soon and don't worry as long as he works his program and has your support, he will be fine, and the two of you will be better for it!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:22 AM

My DH just left PM and I can answer your questions. Sorry I just saw your post I have been out of town.