Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:17 AM

Question International Phone Help Please! How can I make phone calls cheaper?

I was wondering what all you other International girls have been doing concerning phonecalls? Im in Canada and to call AZ costs me $9.50/15min phonecall! That's insane

I know call forwarding is frowned upon in AZ and was wondering if there's any possible way around that or if I could somehow buy a local phone line without forwarding? What do all you girls do?

I can't imagine paying almost $10/phonecall every time. I'll be broke after a month at that rate... We enjoy our phonecalls too much!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly2412 View Post
I was wondering what all you other International girls have been doing concerning phonecalls? Im in Canada and to call AZ costs me $9.50/15min phonecall! That's insane

I know call forwarding is frowned upon in AZ and was wondering if there's any possible way around that or if I could somehow buy a local phone line without forwarding? What do all you girls do?

I can't imagine paying almost $10/phonecall every time. I'll be broke after a month at that rate... We enjoy our phonecalls too much!
Hey Holly,

I use Skype "Online Number" it's about $60 a year. You can make the # a local number to AZ (So it doesn't charge him as much) and it forwards it to your Skype. If you don't know when he'll call you can also have it forwarded to a home or cell phone but you will pay a fee for that. For me it's about $3.20 a call to my cell phone, it would be cheaper to a landline.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering - Hebrews 13:3
The Following User Says Thank You to MCC_Daughter For This Useful Post:
Holly2412 (06-19-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC_Daughter View Post
Hey Holly,

I use Skype "Online Number" it's about $60 a year. You can make the # a local number to AZ (So it doesn't charge him as much) and it forwards it to your Skype. If you don't know when he'll call you can also have it forwarded to a home or cell phone but you will pay a fee for that. For me it's about $3.20 a call to my cell phone, it would be cheaper to a landline.

Ah I just found this post, helpful so far but how do you forward the calls?
Are they forwarded if you are offline on skype as well?
Old 07-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,749 Times in 1,744 Posts

If, and only if, cell phones are ok in Arizona, I would get a US cell phone with a number local to his facility.

I am moving your thread to the Arizona forum so you can get the best information on what is and isn't allowed there. Some facilities consider Skype and other VOIP services as call forwarding. Breaking the DOC's phone rules can have heavy consequences for both you and your loved one.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:47 AM

Unhappy Lost in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC_Daughter View Post
Hey Holly,

Hi, I just happened to read your comment about Skype, because I am going insane right now figuring out why I cannot accept my fiances calls anymore. We have been using Skype , just like you do , for over a year now. He got transferred to another prison last week ( in California) and all of a sudden I cannot accept his incoming calls. I get to hear that darn message and then his voice telling me his name , but when I press 5 ....nothing...the phone goes dead. I am going out of my mind right now trying to figure this out.First I thought I did something wrong , but even when I am on my computer and use the dialpad it won´t work. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT TO DO ??? PLEEEEZE ? I am going nuts here!
Old 07-28-2012, 12:25 PM

Each prison system and yard is different.

In AZ (DOC), you can not use skype, but you may be able use it for CA inmates, housed in AZ (the rules are different). Also you may be able to use it, if you have an inmate housed in AZ in Federal BOP.

Too many people think that all incarceration facilities are the same rules...

In the State of AZ, you have:

*County Custody-which is JAIL, and each county has different rules.
*State Custody--AZ DOC
*Federal-Bureau of Prisons
*CA inmates housed in AZ
*Hawaiian inmates housed in AZ

and there are a number of ICE Detention facilities

Hope that helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie'sGirl For This Useful Post:
SimplyMe123 (07-28-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie'sGirl View Post
Each prison system and yard is different.

In AZ (DOC), you can not use skype, but you may be able use it for CA inmates, housed in AZ (the rules are different). Also you may be able to use it, if you have an inmate housed in AZ in Federal BOP.

Too many people think that all incarceration facilities are the same rules...

In the State of AZ, you have:

*County Custody-which is JAIL, and each county has different rules.
*State Custody--AZ DOC
*Federal-Bureau of Prisons
*CA inmates housed in AZ
*Hawaiian inmates housed in AZ

and there are a number of ICE Detention facilities

Hope that helps.
ROFL! I knew that when you answered, I would get an accurate answer. SOmeone else mentioned skype and the ease of it. But then I realized her LO is probably in Fed, not AZ DOC. Bc skype would fall under forwarding. I so would rather have all calls go to my main cell. But I guess I will have to and bite the bullet and just have two. My new Virgin Mobile phone arrived in the mail. I am hoping that when I call and explain, that I can get an AZ number. Then I can apply! This is taking so so long. And my guy just wrote and said they might be moving him! SO now I wanna wait to make sure I have the best zip code.