Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California Topics and discussions specific to Pelican Bay State Prison located in Crescent City, California.

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:44 AM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default 2012 PBSP Visiting Questions & Info Thread

Here is your thread for 2012 Visiting.

Please do not post any questions about lockdowns, phones or general chit chat. Please keep this thread just for visiting as all other things will be moved to the proper thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to traviesita For This Useful Post:
Mrs.JQ (01-01-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2012, 12:02 PM

Default First time to PBSP

My husband is being transferred to PBSP SHU can someone please tell me what to expect. Ive been to calipat, folsom, csatf all prison run there own program whats different at PBSP any info is appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by traviesita View Post
Here is your thread for 2012 Visiting.

Please do not post any questions about lockdowns, phones or general chit chat. Please keep this thread just for visiting as all other things will be moved to the proper thread.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:52 PM

Default New to PBSP SHU

I am reaching out to anyone who can tell me what visiting is like at PBSP. My husband will be moved there in any day now. I have heard some pretty bad experiences. I would like to prepare myself for my first visit. Any information would be appreciated. Hope to hear from someone soon.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Default PB & Visits

Dear Mrs JQ,

I can only speak about AdSeg or SHU visits as my man has never been in GP in PB.

I have found the staff at PB to be very respectful and even friendly to me. When I would visit my love in Centinella I often felt a bit freaked out by the guards looking at me when I was asked to raise my arms above my head but there is none of that in PB.

Howver, having said that, there are A LOT of regualations regarding visiting. You have to go thru a very strong metal detector, so wear a sports bra with NO wiring (mine doesn't even have the little "O" rings to adjust straps or hooks on the back, it's the type you pull over your head). There are also A LOT of restrictions on colors that can't be worn...wayyy too many to even remember, so I always chose black or pink clothes as I know these are OK. I beleive brown is OK too. NO blue jeans.

The visits to SHU are pretty short - may 1 & 1/2 hours at best....someone else correct me if I'm wrong here. Sometimes, our visits have only lasted 1 hour which is all the prison is obligated to give.

Visits for SHU have to be scheduled also, you will need to call the Monday of the week you'll be visiting.

There's probably a lot more that can be added to this posting, but if you need more info just PM me.

I was so worried when my love went to PB...I'd read on the Internet how this place made them crazy. I'm sure it does for some, but after being up there for 3 years my man is still only as crazy as he was before he went there...(LOL!)

Best wishes,
Valerie
Old 01-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Default 3rd weekend visiting Question

All,

Does anyone know if the 3rd weekend is for SNY visits only? If it is, does that affect SHU visiting or not?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:55 PM

HI im looking for the Email adress to Pelican Bay State Prison
to schedule a visit, can anyone help?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:22 AM

There's no online appts. You have to call to schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus's Wifey View Post
HI im looking for the Email adress to Pelican Bay State Prison
to schedule a visit, can anyone help?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 PM

Is it hard to get an appointment to visit someone at the SHU? This is my first time going, I am going the weekend of the 10&11, pls help
Old 02-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Default Visiting Q/Reply

Its very easy to get a SHU visiting appt. Call this number the Monday before you visit 1 707 465 1000 x 5425. Call till you get a real person, although there is an option to leave a message you will still need to talk to the person to confirm your appt...but I've never seen it full in the SHU visiting, esp. for a non-holiday weekend.

Enjoy your visit!!! I'm going to see my love this weekend!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavisLady
Its very easy to get a SHU visiting appt. Call this number the Monday before you visit 1 707 465 1000 x 5425. Call till you get a real person, although there is an option to leave a message you will still need to talk to the person to confirm your appt...but I've never seen it full in the SHU visiting, esp. for a non-holiday weekend.

Enjoy your visit!!! I'm going to see my love this weekend!!!
Thank you for the info! I really appreciated. Any suggestions on where to stay?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Default Places to stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica12 View Post
Thank you for the info! I really appreciated. Any suggestions on where to stay?

I always seem to end up staying at America's Best Value Inn, cuz it's the cheapest. It's certainly not the nicest or cleanest, but cheapest. In fact it's pretty grim but I can deal with that for a night or two. They also give a free "Breakfast" - ok, coffee, toast & hard boiled eggs but at least it's something to put in your stomach before heading out (my visits are the first ones so I like to be at the prison by 8am). There is also a Satbucks on one side of the parking lot (I'm a coffee addict) and a Mexican resturant on the other side if you decide to go out for dinner & drinks. That place is about a (max) 10 minute drive from the prison too...in case you happen to run late (OK maybe that's just always me!)
Old 03-24-2012, 12:00 PM

Default First time

Hi All,

I am new to PTO. My brother (21 years old) has just been sent to PBSP. He arrived on Wed. Does anyone know how soon he will be able to call/write? How soon is his housing assigned? I want to write to him, but I don't know his housing location.

Also, do you have to re-apply for visits? I went to go visit him when he was housed at NKSP before he was transferred.

Lastly, how is PB compared to others? I'm beyond worried for him-- the only idea I have is what I have seen on Lock Down. It is his first time in prison.

Thank you all so much! God Bless!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:24 PM
onetruelife

I stay at the EconoLodge because they offer 50 bucks a night day to family members at pbsp, and breakfast is not too bad either.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Hello Always,

Welcome to PTO! There are many knowledgeable people on this site - I believe housing really depends on where he's going in PB - do you have any idea? My man went sent up to PB to go to the SHU - it took them almost a year to find a spot for him in SHU - in the meantime he was in AdSeg. I think it would be best for him to write to you first...then he'll tell you his location.

Don't worry too much about what you see on TV - I put myself thru that but my man told me he's only as crazy as he ever was - being up there hasn't made him any worse LOL!

But - having said that, it's very important to keep in contact as often as possible - so I write to my man, even if it's a post card, a short note or a full-blown letter - about 3 - 4 times a week - guess I've always got a lot to say (er...yah! lol!)

As for reapplying - no I didn't have to. I'd visited my guy a couple of times in Centinela before he was sent to PB.

Best wishes to you....I'm sure others will pop into this thread and offer even more and better advice than my own here...
Old 03-27-2012, 12:33 PM
So*CaL BaByGiRl

You can call PB and ask for the records dept. Ask for housing info, they will ask for his CDC # and then will give you his housing info...it will change in a matter of weeks or months...he has to go through classification. BUT even if you don't have his housing info, as long as you have his CDC # on the envelope, it will get to him! It may take a bit longer, but it will get to him. You have to renew your visiting application every two years, but you just fill out a new one when you go visit. SHU inmates get no calls at all and only visit for an hour behind glass. If he's not in the SHU, once he's out of classification and housed, he can have his regular contact visits. Hope this helps...
Old 03-28-2012, 10:00 AM

Default Thank you!

Thank you so much. No info yet. I'm waiting to get a letter. I've already sent him one.

Keeping the faith and praying for him.

God bless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavisLady View Post
Hello Always,

Welcome to PTO! There are many knowledgeable people on this site - I believe housing really depends on where he's going in PB - do you have any idea? My man went sent up to PB to go to the SHU - it took them almost a year to find a spot for him in SHU - in the meantime he was in AdSeg. I think it would be best for him to write to you first...then he'll tell you his location.

Don't worry too much about what you see on TV - I put myself thru that but my man told me he's only as crazy as he ever was - being up there hasn't made him any worse LOL!

But - having said that, it's very important to keep in contact as often as possible - so I write to my man, even if it's a post card, a short note or a full-blown letter - about 3 - 4 times a week - guess I've always got a lot to say (er...yah! lol!)

As for reapplying - no I didn't have to. I'd visited my guy a couple of times in Centinela before he was sent to PB.

Best wishes to you....I'm sure others will pop into this thread and offer even more and better advice than my own here...
Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysHisSis
Thank you so much. No info yet. I'm waiting to get a letter. I've already sent him one.

Keeping the faith and praying for him.

God bless!
Hope you get news soon
Old 04-07-2012, 08:03 PM

I was wondering, how do most of you get up to PB for visiting? I see alot of carpool information and it looks like most of you drive, but has anyone flown up there? Is it better to drive than fly? To me it looks like it's easiest (and cheapest) to drive but if anyone knows different, can you give me any information? I'm looking to go possibly in June and I live in Riverside county. My BF should be in GP by then, so I'm hoping to get the whole weekend for visit?
Old 04-08-2012, 03:35 PM
G'z Sweetstuff

Default Flying N Driving

I have flown, and I have driven. Flying... You will need to rent a car, and because of the flight times, you will arrive Friday, and because he is in GP you could depart Sunday which will save you from staying another day. Two times my flight was delayed because of weather, and one time we flew into Eureka and waited three hours for a shuttle bus. I was lucky, I met a PB psychologist on the flight and he gave me a ride to Crescent City. I am not sure if they still have the PB shuttle bus for pick up and returns in Crescent City. GP does have a lot of lockdowns so you will take a chance with flying... Driving is a haul... winter is more hazardous because of snow and weather, and I was stuck for a day because of landslides! Just be careful carpooling, there were problems in the past, and if you guys are all in the same car, if they do something wrong you can get in trouble too. Ideally I would try and meet before you go that far. One girl had her jewelry stolen... All I am saying is dont go into it with being naive. Be sure to read past posts, of course the sticky's have a lot of information. It took me a couple of weeks to read it all but you will have a good idea what it is all about. As far as visitation goes, they are nice up there. Don't push the limits on clothes, don't wear a ton of jewelry so you get checked in quick, or take it off before you go. Have a great visit! PS..another option is to fly to Medford, it is cheaper and you can rent a car there too!
oc~at~heart (04-08-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I feel like I have more control if I drive there instead of flying, but we'll see then. Either way, it's a pretty penny out of my pocket, especially if it turns out they're on lockdown. Thanks for the heads up with all the other stuff. Good to know!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Default Visiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc~at~heart View Post
I was wondering, how do most of you get up to PB for visiting? I see alot of carpool information and it looks like most of you drive, but has anyone flown up there? Is it better to drive than fly? To me it looks like it's easiest (and cheapest) to drive but if anyone knows different, can you give me any information? I'm looking to go possibly in June and I live in Riverside county. My BF should be in GP by then, so I'm hoping to get the whole weekend for visit?
Hi OC,

I've considered flying up there but it actually seems more of a hassel than just driving, as I live about 1.5 hrs from Burbank airport anyways.

Desertmoon is totally correct about being careful who you carpool with - I've had a bad experience once, not having anything stolen but just made to feel like an outsider cuz I'm originally from England and don't speak Spanish....

But moving along to better things - if you find a nice lady or ladies to carpool with it can certainly make the drag up there (as it is a drag) much more fun as you can talk and laugh etc.

Right now I go with an older lady who is a Mom with 2 sons up there - I say older but then again I'm already 48 myself. We try and get others to ride with us to help them and us out. Either way you slice the pie from where I live it's gonna be about $400 for gas, hotel & car rental, so the more we have in the car the easier it is to pay for.

I always drive during the day so I take the Friday off work to drive up while it's daylight - some ladies go during the night but if anything were to happen to me I don't think my man could deal with it - I don't want to sound big headed but I'm pretty much all he's got right now....so my safety is VERY important to him...as well as me feeling comfortable and happy with whoever I'm travelling with.

Let me know if you're interested, my next trip will be on 6/1.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:11 AM
G'z Sweetstuff

Quote:
Hi OC,

I've considered flying up there but it actually seems more of a hassel than just driving, as I live about 1.5 hrs from Burbank airport anyways.

Desertmoon is totally correct about being careful who you carpool with - I've had a bad experience once, not having anything stolen but just made to feel like an outsider cuz I'm originally from England and don't speak Spanish....
I learned quickly that not everyone comes from a good place of heart. G preferred that I did not go up with people that I did not know. One has to consider prison politics etc...

But moving along to better things - if you find a nice lady or ladies to carpool with it can certainly make the drag up there (as it is a drag) much more fun as you can talk and laugh etc.

Right now I go with an older lady who is a Mom with 2 sons up there - I say older but then again I'm already 48 myself. We try and get others to ride with us to help them and us out. Either way you slice the pie from where I live it's gonna be about $400 for gas, hotel & car rental, so the more we have in the car the easier it is to pay for.
I have also met some wonderful people too! I thought I should clarify that! Friendship takes time to develop...

I always drive during the day so I take the Friday off work to drive up while it's daylight - some ladies go during the night but if anything were to happen to me I don't think my man could deal with it - I don't want to sound big headed but I'm pretty much all he's got right now....so my safety is VERY important to him...as well as me feeling comfortable and happy with whoever I'm travelling with.
I used to live in the redwoods, driving at night, you take a risk because of the deer, the fog etc... Cell phones do not work in many places. Fire departments are volunteer, and when there are accidents you are hours away from hospitals. My rental car broke down on Friday afternoon in the middle of nowhere. I was told it would be a 4 hour time to get a tow truck, and Sat I would be given a car in San Francisco. I had to hitchhike to Crescent City and take a bus back on Monday!!!

Maybe have a meet the car pooler party in LA before you go?

Happy Visits to all!
JavisLady (04-11-2012), oc~at~heart (04-11-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 12:38 PM

Hello Ladies =)

I am new to this website so please excuse my newbie questions.

My best friend has been incarcerated for about 10 years now and I have visit him atleast once to every prison he has been to but I still have not been to Pelican bay. My last visit with him was in 2008/2009, would I need to be reapproved?

Being that I have not seen him in a while I would love to visit him sometime soon, so I have been searching for the best way to get there. I logged on to the greyhound website (thinking it might be cheaper taking the bus) and the total comes out to $200-300 from los angeles and that is still not including the hotel, the travel time is 20 hours each way. Then I went on expedia to check on the air flight prices and it rounds of to $400 and again not including hotel expenses. Is there a way to get there by train? I live in los angeles.

Thanks in advance ladies =)

Last edited by letsdothis; 04-10-2012 at 12:40 PM..
Old 04-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Default Getting to PB

Hi Lets,

I don't know about the re-applying for visiting as I've never left it that long...maybe someone else can help with that?

I think we have all looked at these options...train, bus, fly etc. The fact of the matter is that PB is in the middle of NOWHERE!!!! The only viable option is really to drive, unless you live close to an airport (your hometown) Flying may be an option if you plan to go solo, as your costs will be about the same. If you do fly, there is an airport in Crescent City itself, but I saw the plane that comes in when I was up there last weekend, and it's one of those really small 20 or so seaters....or Eureka/Arcata airport is 1.5 hours away. I beleive it's only United who fly into those airports, but I could be wrong on that. There's also Medford airport in OR which is about 2 hours away. Whatever you do, you will need a car once you get there, unless you fly into Crescent City and I beleive "Friends outside" will pick you up from the airport and take to you to/from visiting also.

As far as I've been able to figure out, there is no viable alternative to driving, given the area you are travelling TO (not necessarily from).

I'm sure there are folks on this site who will be able to offer more help than me here....as I'm still relatively new to this whole thing...
Old 04-11-2012, 07:05 PM

Wink

Quote:
Hi OC,

Thanks for letting me know all these things! I was kind of wondering how much a full trip would cost with gas and all, so you gave me a pretty good idea. And you don't sound big headed at all! You're just looking out for yours which is what we're all doing. Thanks for the invite... I will definitely consider it.
Closed Thread