Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes Do you have news relating to California's Prison or Ciminal Justice System and related efforts? Post them here! Also discuss 3 Strike laws.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:57 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 20,976 Times in 7,469 Posts
Default How's that working out? CDCs population projections & infrastructure woes

There has been some rumbling about the combined effects of Prop 57, AB109, YOP, Prop 47 and just what all of this means for folks trying to get home and prison sustainability.

The latest updates-- and feel free to add others if I've missed them, to expanding parole eligibility and resentencing opportunities are the felony accomplice to murder rule and emergency regs to include nonviolent third strikers under Prop 57 parole consideration.

So is this floodgate that voters hoped for and opponents warned about? Yes, and no. The biggest surge of releases has, or is, happening according to CDCs own predictions. Between June 2017 and June 2018, CDC predicted to reduce inmate population by 2,996 or 0.2%. Also by their predictions, the net decrease in population through June 2022 is showing at 6,827 inmates or 5.2% of total population. In January of this year, The Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice reported that the Department of Finance anticipated a 2.2% reduction over the 18-19 fiscal year. I guess this is a wait and see game as actual numbers won't be published for a bit.

One thing that both CDC and CJCJ agree on is that no reduction in inmate population is significant enough to sustain the level of housing needs even with these reductions. CDC met the fed population cap in 2016 and has stayed beneath it but as seen in the individual facility data (IN6), some inmates are living in housing that continues to push over 140% capacity. This is with the continued use of contracted bed space in Arizona.

CDC lists 1,364 projects that directly affect infrastructure (failing roofs, plumbing systems, accessibility issues) totaling $1.2 billion. But the budget for those projects is $28 million. And that circles us back to limiting the number of new inmates coming in and the need for a continued hard push for sentencing reform for the newly sentenced. A windfall of releases and legislation to reduce harsh sentencing is necessary to keep this burden from breaking CA taxpayers.

Thank you to everyone who puts in the blood, sweat and tears to work on justice issues in the state. But there is still work to be done and I know we can do it.

Last edited by miamac; 12-21-2018 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: typo
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (12-21-2018), Patrickj (12-23-2018), Sarianna (01-08-2019), sidewalker (12-22-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2018, 11:05 PM

Thanked 1,406 Times in 580 Posts

Those have all made or will make a difference. Not nearly enough.

I don't know of any ballot initiatives in the works yet but next voting is 2 years away so it's early for that. California legislative session for 2019 starts soon and we will watch for bills targeting reform. I believe Initiate Justice is co-sponsor of a few bills for 2019. I take that as a good sign.

Deadline for bills to be introduced is early February. Let's hope for good ideas that we can get behind and support.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
miamac (12-22-2018), Patrickj (12-23-2018), sidewalker (12-22-2018)
Old 01-08-2019, 05:25 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,910 Times in 14,979 Posts

I only caught a bit of new Gov Newsom's speech yesterday but thought I'd mention this part (full article here:https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...224024900.html)

But THIS portion:
n our home, every person should have access to quality, affordable health care. Far-away judges and politicians may try to turn back our progress. But we will never waver in our pursuit of guaranteed health care for all Californians. We will use both our market power and our moral power to demand fairer prices for prescription drugs. We will stop stigmatizing mental health and start supporting it. And in California we will always protect a woman’s right to choose. In our home, we believe in justice for all. We will defend the progress we’ve made to reform our criminal justice system. We will continue the fight against over-incarceration and over-crowding in our prisons. And we will end the outrage of private prisons once and for all.

Love the last line!!!
btw Newsoms son is freaking adorable!!!!!

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
miamac (01-08-2019)