Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Washington Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions Topics & discussions about specific Prison & Jails in the state of Washington.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:30 AM

Default WCC Shelton Intake

Anyone have current news:

Can inmates receive colored envelopes?

Can envelopes have tape or stickers on the outside?

Can inmates receive a word puzzle, etc. sheet cut out of a book or magazine?

Can family forward on a letter from County Jail-with the Shelton address added to it? It's okay with USPS if you do that, but idk about Shelton specifically. I know this b/c I'm a retired postal carrier.

Ecclesiastes 3:1
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2018, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,924 Times in 2,770 Posts

I think they can receive colored envelopes, but I'm not positive. I don't remember ever hearing anyone say they can't.

Envelopes may NOT have tape or stickers. Or glitter or anything else fancy. I *think* they just started allowing the use of mailing labels. In Oregon, they allow mailing labels, but not tape/stickers, so I always address the envelope on the "back" and use the return address label and stamp to 'tape' the flap closed.

Yes, you can send them a word puzzle/crossword/acrostic/sudoku as long as it's on a piece of paper that doesn't violate the other rules. You may find that you're going to become a photocopying genius as it can take some creative photocopying to make things still legible.

I would not forward the letter from County - I would remove it from its original envelope and put it in a new one. If USPS forwards it, that's different, but if an individual forwards it, most likely, it will be rejected. If its a letter from someone besides you, just don't look at the letter when you transfer it from one envelope to another, and make the return address be the original sender's return address.

Welcome again to PTO. I hope you'll take some time to poke around the rest of the site. Lots of good information here.

I'm sorry you need us, but am glad you found us.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
B00ne (01-06-2019)
Old 12-22-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
I think they can receive colored envelopes, but I'm not positive. I don't remember ever hearing anyone say they can't.

Envelopes may NOT have tape or stickers. Or glitter or anything else fancy. I *think* they just started allowing the use of mailing labels. In Oregon, they allow mailing labels, but not tape/stickers, so I always address the envelope on the "back" and use the return address label and stamp to 'tape' the flap closed.

Yes, you can send them a word puzzle/crossword/acrostic/sudoku as long as it's on a piece of paper that doesn't violate the other rules. You may find that you're going to become a photocopying genius as it can take some creative photocopying to make things still legible.

I would not forward the letter from County - I would remove it from its original envelope and put it in a new one. If USPS forwards it, that's different, but if an individual forwards it, most likely, it will be rejected. If its a letter from someone besides you, just don't look at the letter when you transfer it from one envelope to another, and make the return address be the original sender's return address.

Welcome again to PTO. I hope you'll take some time to poke around the rest of the site. Lots of good information here.

I'm sorry you need us, but am glad you found us.

Update info on WCC: You can have address labels on the envelope. Can have a sticker or tape holding the flap shut, the prison will cut anything that LO can't have off of the envelope. LO even gets to keep the stamp!

You CAN forward from county, but it takes some extra steps: peel any stickers off, that the PO put on your letter, next scratch out with ink any extra markings or inking that your letter got, since you saw it last. Mark out the old address. You can put a blank sticker here and write on the new address, or print it, or just write it on the envelope. TaDa! ReSend your letter. Even if county did open it, just make sure it's taped well and follow the above directions. PO lets you send a letter anywhere, to anyone for the price of one stamp. It is allowed to modify it to get it to the person on the other end.

I've sent word searches, haven't heard yet, if they made it thru. I'm in AR, takes 3 days for LO to get my letter. Takes 5 days for me to get one from LO.

I've been exploring around. Lots of good info.

Last edited by B00ne; 12-22-2018 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: needed updating
The Following User Says Thank You to B00ne For This Useful Post:
GingerM (12-24-2018)
Old 01-06-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00ne View Post
Update info on WCC: You can have address labels on the envelope. Can have a sticker or tape holding the flap shut, the prison will cut anything that LO can't have off of the envelope. LO even gets to keep the stamp!

You CAN forward from county, but it takes some extra steps: peel any stickers off, that the PO put on your letter, next scratch out with ink any extra markings or inking that your letter got, since you saw it last. Mark out the old address. You can put a blank sticker here and write on the new address, or print it, or just write it on the envelope. TaDa! ReSend your letter. Even if county did open it, just make sure it's taped well and follow the above directions. PO lets you send a letter anywhere, to anyone for the price of one stamp. It is allowed to modify it to get it to the person on the other end.

I've sent word searches, haven't heard yet, if they made it thru. I'm in AR, takes 3 days for LO to get my letter. Takes 5 days for me to get one from LO.

I've been exploring around. Lots of good info.
I've heard that all of the letters that were to him at another place, I used the above steps & he has received ALL of the letters. Hooray!

GingerM (01-07-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 09:23 PM

Default GLOSSY magazine puzzles

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00ne View Post

Update:

The word searches DID NOT make it thru, I had ripped it out of a word search book & trimmed the raw edge.

Crossword puzzles and Sudoku and jokes torn out, trimmed the raw edges of GLOSSY magazine paper DID MAKE IT thru! YaY!

Last edited by B00ne; 01-06-2019 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: adding more details
GingerM (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Some folks will photocopy things like word searches/crossword puzzles and send the photocopy. The photocopies tend to make it through better. No idea why.
B00ne (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 05:53 PM

Thank you, I'll try the photocopy thing.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

I've gone to book stores before, looked through their books of puzzles, found a book I thought would work, then ordered it from Amazon. That way there's more than one puzzle to pass the time with.
B00ne (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 10:04 AM

Default WCC in Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
I've gone to book stores before, looked through their books of puzzles, found a book I thought would work, then ordered it from Amazon. That way there's more than one puzzle to pass the time with.
At WCC in Shelton, my lo isn't allowed any packages. I will keep above in mind, for when he is transferred.

I found a website that offers hard sudoku puzzles to print. I have a supply of graph paper, so I'm using a stencil to draw the 9x9 squares and copying the numbers in them. I'll see if the puzzles get through & post here, if they are.

GingerM (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Good idea! Photocopies also often work, but if you don't have easy access to a photocopier, your solution is brilliant!