Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Indiana Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 12-20-2018, 06:16 PM

Default Can inmate take their own Bible to prison?

I purchased a Bible for my niece while she was on home detention awaiting trial. It means a lot to her. She has studied, highlighted, and written in it over the past few months. Since it is a religious book, will Indiana allow her to take her own personal Bible with her when she goes to prison? If not, can it be sent to her by a pastor/church?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2018, 09:17 PM

Thanked 1,061 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans aunt View Post
I purchased a Bible for my niece while she was on home detention awaiting trial. It means a lot to her. She has studied, highlighted, and written in it over the past few months. Since it is a religious book, will Indiana allow her to take her own personal Bible with her when she goes to prison? If not, can it be sent to her by a pastor/church?
No to both parts of the question. She will not be allowed to take it in and a pastor will not be allowed to send it to her. Indiana does not allow hard back books in prison and they only allow books sent by an outside vendor. I sent books from Amazon but found that they had to be shipped by Amazon not labeled as shipped by Mass Marketing. They also do not allow 3nd hand books. There have been too many issues with contraband being hidden.

I'm sorry your family is starting this journey.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:50 AM

The bible is soft covers, not hard bound. I sent books by Amazon and Christian Book Distributors to the county jail that were accepted. I understand the issue with contraband. I was hoping since it was a religious book they would allow.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:11 AM
Donation Award 

In Indiana, Hardback books are allowed again, since a couple of months. I send them regular through Amazon and my friend get it, since September I mean, before just paperback.....
Old 12-23-2018, 09:03 AM

Greetings.

In the prison I work at the only things we allow new inmates to bring with them inside the walls are
1. Prescription eye glasses
2. an inexpensive wedding band
3. an inexpensive religious chain.

Books can easily be used to transport drugs into a prison.

Also Prisons tend to be fairly fluid environments. If she really values this book she should leave it in your care. I suggest she get a new bible on the inside and you and her can use both bibles to re-explore the passages she highlighted etc. One of the most valuable things an inmate can have is connection to the outside.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
ans aunt (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 10:21 PM

I've printed off all the rules and information I can find for the RDC so she knows what to expect. Just this week I told her if they did not allow her to take the bible, I would send her a new one and write to tell her what/where she marked and the color highlighter she used. Are they allowed bibles to be personalized with their name on the cover? I told her I would be writing to her while in intake, even if she can't write back. I also plan to set up for calls so when they determine where she will be placed we may be able to continue a brief bible study and talk weekly. I do understand the importance of staying connected with her and I fully intend to. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans aunt View Post
I've printed off all the rules and information I can find for the RDC so she knows what to expect. Just this week I told her if they did not allow her to take the bible, I would send her a new one and write to tell her what/where she marked and the color highlighter she used. Are they allowed bibles to be personalized with their name on the cover? I told her I would be writing to her while in intake, even if she can't write back. I also plan to set up for calls so when they determine where she will be placed we may be able to continue a brief bible study and talk weekly. I do understand the importance of staying connected with her and I fully intend to. Thanks for the advice.
Yes they are allowed to personalize their books.

Before you send her something you bought and personalized yourself, become familiar with the prison rules. Many places only allow books from venders such as amazon etc. This cuts down on family inserting drugs and other items
Old 01-08-2019, 06:29 PM

Amazon does not personalize, but Christian Book Distributors does personalize bibles. I'll order through there as they are a well known distributor of Christian books and boxes are clearly marked that they are. I had no problem with her receiving from them in max-security County jail.