Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:57 AM

Default New to this & looking for information on new Federal law

I am new to all this. I have recently gotten into a relationship with a man that I have known for over 15 years. He was sentence to 22 years in federal prison back in 2008. he has served 10 years so far. and my question is does anyone know anything about the new law in federal???
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2019, 01:21 PM

When will the Federal BOP start recalculating the good time credit according to the New Law The First Step Act?
Old 01-09-2019, 01:36 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,734 Times in 12,042 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk Marcie. His current release date that appears on the bop inmate locator is 22 years minus 1034 days of good time (22 times 47 days/year). The new calculation will be 22 years minus 1188 days of good time (22 times 54 days/year), or 154 days sooner than before.
https://www.bop.gov/inmateloc/

The retroactive recalculation of good time should be the first change implemented by the bop since this time the Congress included a deadline. When it actually happens will still be up to the bop, but they know that everyone, especially Congress, is watching.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:47 PM

Thanked 1,361 Times in 686 Posts

Well to update everyone re: the First Step Act and the computation of the good time credit, unfortunately, some other posters sadly, have been partially correct. This is the response our attorney received re the calculation of the Good Time Credit from the BOP -

"With the passage of the First Step Act of 2018, The Bureau of Prisons Designation & Sentence Computation Center is preparing to move forward in planning and implementing the provisions of the act specifically affecting the release date and/or designation of an inmate. This act affects the majority of the federal inmate population and will require a considerable amount of time and effort to complete the reviews and updates in accordance with the new laws. We do not have an anticipated date of completion at this time. Do note however, in this instance the BOP is not saying it is not 210 days like FAMM is saying, so there is obviously a lot of he said she said and no surprise that everyone is pointing the finger at each other because no one knows their ass from a hole in the ground. My husband is getting out on Jan 31, and has given up getting his good credit time before then, and even before his HWH/HC time is up in March, but for the rest of you and your families, I hope the government gives justice to those who are entitled to their time off, because I think it's is an injustice that this is now law and as others have previously said, they have absolutely no problem taking away good time earned, so they should have no problem giving back this good time credit. All this red tape is just another way to screw with the inmates. I know if my husband weren't getting out in a few weeks he would be going nuts over this.

The Bureau of Prisons understands that inmates, family members, and attorneys are particularly interested in the changes regarding good conduct time. While this change may result in additional credit for inmates, we note that it is not effective immediately nor is it applicable to all inmates. Inmates affected by this change will be provided with a new computation calculation once their sentence computation has been updated. Inmates should direct any questions or concerns regarding this issue to their assigned unit team, as they are in the best position to assist them."
Old 01-10-2019, 04:49 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,734 Times in 12,042 Posts

The only inmates who are not eligible for the additional good time, or any good time at all, are those serving life sentences and inmates serving sentences of one year or less (unless the bop has decided to also include folks like illegal aliens, etc.).

The last time the Congress told the bop to award 54 days of good time per year, they waited over 30 years to comply, still haven't, and apparently are also now dragging their feet under the first step act too. That is totally predictable, and probably why the Congress included deadlines this time instead of giving the bop discretion.

Even though the bop will have to be dragged, kicking & screaming, to implement the retroactive change good time from 47 days/year to 54 days/year, they now know that their obfuscation will be closely monitored by Congress, which also provides their budget.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 01-10-2019 at 04:53 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Lovebirds (01-14-2019)