Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Pleasant Valley State Prison (PVSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pleasant Valley State Prison (PVSP) - California Topic and discussion specific to Pleasant Valley State Prison (PVSP) in Coalinga, California.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:31 AM

Default Hubby diagnosed with valley fever

My husband was transferred to Pleasant Valley 6/2017. He got really really sick 2 months ago in October 2017. We know he had a small stroke and they said that he had Pneumonia November 2017 and they gave him antibiotics to treat the Pneumonia. Symptoms did not go so they finally tested him for Valley Fever December 2017. The test came back POSITIVE FOR VALLEY FEVER!!!! He just started treatment but his health and weight has dramatically declined in just a few months. I just want to get the word out that Valley Fever is still active and please have your loved ones tested if they are having symptoms. They will deny that Valley Fever is still active!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Antlili For This Useful Post:
mhrndz82 (12-27-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2017, 09:47 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 17,631 Times in 6,470 Posts

Not sure who they are (prison med staff?), but it's not possible to deny Valley Fever in any real way. It's a common spore that gets whipped up by heavy winds and farming. Anyone is susceptible. The majority of people will feel flu'ish, but recover without treatment, however there are populations that have a higher risk of complications from contracting VF.

Anyone who travels or lives in central Cali or areas of dry, dusty terrain needs to be aware of the symptoms and seek treatment even if you think you're improving as it can cause scaring in your lungs.

I'm so sorry it's made him this sick. I can imagine it is scary and very frustrating. I hope with treatment he is able to regain the weight and feel better soon.

To learn more about Valley Fever, who is at higher risk and how to treat, please read here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (12-19-2017), Sarianna (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 09:56 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,558 Posts

I'm sorry you are going through this, and I hope your LO recovers quickly!

For those who aren't aware: There's NO way to prevent valley fever and anyone living in much of the south west is susceptible to it. It's a fungus in the dirt and therefore in the air.
miamac (12-19-2017), Sarianna (12-19-2017)