Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:00 AM

Default So many questions, so few answers about release..

My SO is soon to be paroled from SCI Houtzdale, but so far has nowhere to go and will have almost no money!! He's asked to be released to Pittsburgh and has been trying to find a place to live cheaply and to make contacts to find work, but it's almost IMPOSSIBLE from inside the prison. SO, HOW DOES THIS PROCESS WORK? I'm afraid it's going to be an "out of the frying pan and into the fire" kind of thing, and that he will end up homeless and jobless. I am in CA. and can't help much. WHO can I contact to find affordable housing (that will take ex-cons) in Pittsburgh?? I've combed the internet for some charity or group that helps with this process but have found none so far...ANY ADVICE WOULD REALLY REALLY BE APPRECIATED!!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2010, 06:50 AM

Question HELP !! what happens when home visit is made

Trying to find out what happens here in PA once a home visit is made. Inmate already has a green sheet and parole approval and did all programs required. Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to granny4kids For This Useful Post:
tjames16 (07-23-2014)
Old 03-12-2010, 08:02 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,289 Posts

Once the home has been vbisited, the agent submits his recommendation for approval or rejection. If approved, the Board proceeds with the release process, either directly to the home or to a halfway house.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:01 PM

Bobble, my finance has been paroled since oct 09 . he was stuck in laurel highlands doing more programs until march 2010 because they lost his paper work. He was ultimately to go to hwh in pittsburgh for 90 days complete vp again and be released to approved home plan. He put a interstate compact request in mid march and we waited. First part of june i called compact office and there was no record of anything ever being submitted. I called po and counselors. COme to find out they had never submitted it and at this late date ( he was due to be out June 15 - today) they told him he could reapply to another state and wait at hwh for 4-6 more months or rent an apartment there and then apply to come home. He wants out of the hwh so he rents an apartment 2 weeks ago. Turns in new home plan to po . He was told today that it will be 4-6 weeks until they get around to inspecting his home plan. While he continues to work and give the hwh 40% of his income and they allot him just $50 a week to live on . He will not be able to pay rent in two places at once . To top it all off its been 3 weeks since they have given his prescribed depression and anxiety medication. If you have any suggestions on what I can do from this end I would really appreciate it. I have called his po but he isn't very helpful . Thanks ahead of time for all advice.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:18 PM

PTO Moderator 

He should let the HWH know that he's paying rent on an apartment and can't afford to pay room & board to them at the same time. They may cut him a break if he shows them a copy of the lease as proof of what he's paying.

I think you can call the HWH and ask about the meds. Under HIPPA, they can't divulge his medical information, but you can tell them you know his condition and you know he's supposed to be getting certain meds. They may or may not try to explain why they've withheld them, but the call should get someone working on it.

As for inspecting the home, if he's in Philadelphia or another urban area, the 4-6 weeks is about right. The suburban areas are quicker.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Account Closed

Can someone tell me how many times a parole hearing can be postpone?
Old 08-20-2010, 07:50 PM

PTO Moderator 

Are we talking about a Gagnon I, Gagnon II, or a parole interview for release?
Old 08-21-2010, 04:28 AM
Account Closed

For release
Old 08-26-2010, 06:14 PM

Gagnon II also how many times can they be postponed?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:45 AM

PTO Moderator 

A parole interview should take place prior to the minimum date and then at the date of any subsequent hits (these are on green sheets that deny parole). There is no law as to when the interview must take place beyond this rule, although unreasonable delays could be grounds for court action.

The Gagnon II is a more legally-controlled proceeding. If it is postponed, the grounds for doing so must be reasonable. The parolee can bring court action against the Board for unreasonable delays, and he then has the burden of proving that point. Usually, by the time the courts get involved, the Board has held the hearing.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:07 PM

My son's Min. date is today and he has been told he won't see parole till sometime next month. He is in there for probation violations and got 6 mo to 2 years... thinks he's gonna have to do tc classes. How long is he looking at? He's been in Pittsburgh for 6 weeks now and is getting frustrated cuz he is accomplishing nothing toward getting out. Any ideas?
Old 10-03-2010, 06:23 PM

PTO Moderator 

The problem with such a short minimum is that he can't get on the parole docket in time. And if he has to do a TC, it won't begin until he gets to a "home prison". They run about 4 months.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:12 AM

OK I have a question my fiance is in there for statutory sexual assault. he was dating a 15 yr old going on 16 when he was 20 and her therapist called and pressed charges on him. the judge said he had to do sex offender evaluation but didn't say anything about sex offender registry and now he tells me bc i have a child in the home (who will be 17 upon his parole) and might be pregnant with his baby that they told him he does not have a home plan when his lawyer told me at court that i need to contact her when the time comes up so she can try and do something about this. does anyone know anything about these issues? Thank you.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:41 PM

PTO Moderator 

I'm sorry to say that this is not going to go as planned. As we so often see, the people talking in court rarely understand everything they're talking about. In this case, the judge was in no position to control or order any kind of treatment; nor can he order someone NOT to undergo treatment within the DOC. He has no actual authority over the DOC or the Parole Board.

The judge can not waive registry under Megan's Law. This is a strict liability statute, which means NO ONE can "modify" the law's requirements. His charge requires him to comply with Megan's Law, and no judge can relieve him of that.

No lawyer is going to convince the Board to let him live with a minor after he victimized a minor. Start looking for an approvable home plan, which will have to be not less than 1000 feet from every school, playground and daycare.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobble60 View Post
The problem with such a short minimum is that he can't get on the parole docket in time. And if he has to do a TC, it won't begin until he gets to a "home prison". They run about 4 months.

Pittsburgh is his home prison and he has been there well over 6 weeks so far...Other inmates that have longer
min. and got there after him are already in the TC program..This is what is so frustrating
Old 10-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Account Closed

I posted this question somewhere else but ireally need help can someone help me or tell me what goes in a letter to parole board!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:19 AM

PTO Moderator 

A letter to the Board should simply state how well you know the individual and how you plan to help him upon release. It should acknowledge the crime and the seriousness of it. It should show that you understand the things which could tempt him to violate parole or re-offend. it should emphasize that you will be "part of the team" to help him succeed, including full co-operation with his parole agent.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:45 PM

Default questionn

if your parole was denied but you have a chance to petition for parole...do u still have a good chance of getting it or not really? and what do u have to do to petition for parole?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 AM

PTO Moderator 

Petition for parole??? If they denied parole, he can't ask for a new decision until 12 months have elapsed from the date of the denial.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missi1969 View Post
We started working on my husbands parole packet about 6 months before his parole hearing ( which was 4 months before his minimum date)
We started early too on my dad's. We used a paralegal to help us with ours, cheaper than an lawyer. If you want his info to get some help, let me know.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:50 PM
IN GOD"S TIME

Default Parole package

WHAT IS THE PAROLE PACKAGE AND WHEN SHOU;D IT BE DONE? wHO NEEDS TO GET THIS STARTED. mY HUSBAND IS COMING UP FOR PAROLE SOON ( HASN'T GOTTEN A DATE YET) BUT HIS MIN. RELEASE DATE IS 6-9-11 AND HE IS IN A HALF WAY HOUSE AND HAS FInished all his programs prior to prerelease. He is employed full time and ready to get the ball rolling on his aprt. His counselor told him that he will soon be getting ready for pre paroole, what is that? He has aboutv 5 months to go and zi want anything that needs to be done already done and awiting the parole dept. Thanks for any info
Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 PM

PTO Moderator 

The "parole packet" isn't something the prisoner works on; it's done by DOC staff. The packet is basically all the documentation that accompanies the parole application -- reports on conduct, programs, etc., psychological evaluations, home plan (if submitted), work plan (if submitted,) and so on.

Once this file is assembled, he meets with an institutional parole agent nin what is called the "pre-parole interview." At that time, the agent goes over the file with him and makes any corrections or notes. Then the entire thing is sent to HBG in anticipation of the parole interview.

I would say that a min date in June means seeing the Board in March or April, and that means the pre-parole processing should start in a few weeks.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:21 AM

Bobble,

My friend is finishing a 3 year sentence for misuse of a computer with State-created minor. He would like to live in Montgomery County, PA but he has no idea where to look for a residence. I would make calls for him if I had a direction.
I know that if I start calling landlords, they are going to reject him.
Where do I start looking? How do I help him get a home plan together?
Thanks!
Old 03-05-2011, 09:05 PM

PTO Moderator 

If he will be a registered sex offender, the search for a home will be difficult. Apartment complexes will almost always refuse; the best chances lie with off-site private landlords. The PBPP has a 1,000 foot distance from schools, day cares and parks, too.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:32 AM

Hate to say it, but I have been tryin to get my man out for over a year now he is paroled, but is a so. We have put in for his gparents which was no go then my house, I live in the woods, have my landlords approval, 1000 ft plus from everything nothing around but trees and woods closet neighbor is .5 miles away and yet still not acceptable by parole we have put in for various other places and parole just keeps denying everything we throw at them, I even put a packet of info together and sent it to the state parole board in hbg complete with pics of where i live letters from my guy, his family, landlords and pf course me, tryin to assure parole he will have all the support he needs when he is released and they pretty much laughed at me, contacted state reps and nothing. inhouse agent tells him find a secluded place to parole to but does nothing to help him....in any case he has 2 years and 4 months to go, Any suggestions at this point would be of great help to me.