Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Cooking & Recipes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2018, 06:16 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,320 Times in 15,631 Posts

**Any kid friendly ideas???**

spaghetti is usually ok with kids.
And mac and cheese is good if its not the boxed kind. Nuggets can be made from scratch too. (tho Ive never done those before)

And of course there is always peanut butter/jelly/jam sandwiches.
Was lucky, my kids ate most of my cooking, and liked many foods. (except the one who didnt like beans of any type)

That's my dog's nose art

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2018, 09:16 AM

Thanked 5,991 Times in 3,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
**Any kid friendly ideas???**

spaghetti is usually ok with kids.
And mac and cheese is good if its not the boxed kind. Nuggets can be made from scratch too. (tho Ive never done those before)

And of course there is always peanut butter/jelly/jam sandwiches.
Was lucky, my kids ate most of my cooking, and liked many foods. (except the one who didnt like beans of any type)
Well I solved my problem I am not watching the kid anymore!!LOL I can't afford to it's costing me to much in gas to do it. He's a great kid but unless he's dropped at my house I can't do it. I've been around tons of kids but they all ate whatever you gave them. My niece was picky but no matter what we told her it was chicken and she ate it!!!LOL But that was 40 years ago and you really didn't have the god awful garbage to choose from. When I was a kid I was a picky eater but I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I ate my dinner. I hated cheese so I wasn't forced to eat cheese. Now a days kids demand only junk and parents give it to them. They wonder why so many kids are adhd add and autistic I don't I definitely think it has a lot to do with what people eat.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 07:30 AM

Donation Award 

I think stuff like chicken nuggets or a Micky D's burger is ok once in a while. Just not for every meal.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
xolady (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 09:05 AM
Полезный дурак

Tonight, I am making a shaved brussel sprout salad, some pasta with roasted red peppers, Roma tomatoes, black olives, basil and ricotta.

After, we have some of my mom’s friends coming over for tea / coffee. I baked a „ tropical ” carrot cake last night. 4 layers. Made coconut - cream cheese icing this morning so now I smell of butter all over !!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
Itshardtowait (10-27-2018), xolady (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 11:18 AM

Thanked 3,682 Times in 1,719 Posts

Have any of you done Keto? I'm looking to drop some weight, but looking for the foods to cook.

My diet has been carb heavy and grabbing on the quick. Working 12-13 hr days. Re-doing my schedule for December, so I can focus on health.

If all goes well, he could be home in as soon as 11 months and I got lazy with cooking. Plus I just feel yucky.

I still want to get an instant pot, but I'm probably going to wait until Christmas to treat myself.

Big thing will be meal prepping. Never enough time and I have to make the time.

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
xolady (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 12:36 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,839 Times in 11,078 Posts

No as to keto.

I used to do meal prep for two or three different meals - in bulk - and freeze portions. That way I could thaw something in the morning and have it ready for dinner for a week or more. Did it in my not-busy time and saved myself the hassle of all the other evenings of work.
onedayatatime13 (10-27-2018), xolady (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 12:41 PM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,800 Times in 2,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
Have any of you done Keto? I'm looking to drop some weight, but looking for the foods to cook.
I tried Keto for a pretty short time - not really for weight loss purposes (my weight did go down 8lbs in less than 2 weeks because eating became off-putting) but I had read about its (alleged) health effects and since I don't normally overindulge in (bad) carbs to begin with, it seemed it might make sense to me..... I couldn't do it even two weeks; all energy gone, got horrible tinnitus (the workings of our inner ear, fascinatingly so, is connected to our nutrition). I was also in the last two days of my period when I started Keto (just a coincident) - and my period just kept going and going and got heavier with each day. I've never experienced this kind of issue with my period in my whole life...so I started reading about other women's experiences with their cycle & Keto; some reported their period was still on after three months since starting Keto. Apparently the change from using carbs for energy to using fat for energy can be such a huge adjustment for our body that it sometimes takes up to a year before you become "fat adjusted" and your body goes back to acting normally.

Of course this is just my experience - some bodies are more sensitive, others not so much...some diets fit others but not everyone

After I had gone back to my normal diet and was able to go to the gym and run again, I was so freakin' happy though - and decided that that was the last time I ever try anything else than a normal, balanced diet

Oops sorry -- got rambling a bit....we do have a forum called Dieting & Health if you want to post there about Keto and start a conversation about it

Last edited by Sarianna; 10-27-2018 at 12:46 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
xolady (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarianna View Post
I tried Keto for a pretty short time - not really for weight loss purposes (my weight did go down 8lbs in less than 2 weeks because eating became off-putting) but I had read about its (alleged) health effects and since I don't normally overindulge in (bad) carbs to begin with, it seemed it might make sense to me..... I couldn't do it even two weeks; all energy gone, got horrible tinnitus (the workings of our inner ear, fascinatingly so, is connected to our nutrition). I was also in the last two days of my period when I started Keto (just a coincident) - and my period just kept going and going and got heavier with each day. I've never experienced this kind of issue with my period in my whole life...so I started reading about other women's experiences with their cycle & Keto; some reported their period was still on after three months since starting Keto. Apparently the change from using carbs for energy to using fat for energy can be such a huge adjustment for our body that it sometimes takes up to a year before you become "fat adjusted" and your body goes back to acting normally.

Of course this is just my experience - some bodies are more sensitive, others not so much...some diets fit others but not everyone

After I had gone back to my normal diet and was able to go to the gym and run again, I was so freakin' happy though - and decided that that was the last time I ever try anything else than a normal, balanced diet

Oops sorry -- got rambling a bit....we do have a forum called Dieting & Health if you want to post there about Keto and start a conversation about it
I wasnt sure where to put it. Mainly was looking for food ideas. I have read on it a bit and I know doing better with limited carb.

Thank you for sharing your experience though

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (10-28-2018), xolady (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 02:54 PM

I've never really tried to lose weight until I found out I was diabetic. Well quitting soda and candy worked for me I lost 40 lbs in two months. I am pretty good about eating right as I have stomach issues so I try to get the best out of the little I can eat!! LOL One thing that I found is when I went into menopause I started craving sweets and salt!!! Never ate junk before but I lived for candy and chips. Now I'm happy with unsweet tea and coffee with french vanilla creammer no sugar, I drink a soda here and there almost no candy. I can certainly afford to lose twenty lbs but I am actually good at the weight I'm at. I just need to exercise more cooler weather I'm back to walking a lot as it's great and I enjoy it. Good luck with the keto thing I really didn't understand it.
Sarianna (10-28-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
I've never really tried to lose weight until I found out I was diabetic. Well quitting soda and candy worked for me I lost 40 lbs in two months. I am pretty good about eating right as I have stomach issues so I try to get the best out of the little I can eat!! LOL One thing that I found is when I went into menopause I started craving sweets and salt!!! Never ate junk before but I lived for candy and chips. Now I'm happy with unsweet tea and coffee with french vanilla creammer no sugar, I drink a soda here and there almost no candy. I can certainly afford to lose twenty lbs but I am actually good at the weight I'm at. I just need to exercise more cooler weather I'm back to walking a lot as it's great and I enjoy it. Good luck with the keto thing I really didn't understand it.
I'm eating once a day and usually just too tired to really cook. Grabbing quick crap.

I love to cook, but in my determination to pay off bills I found other areas suffered. Next month I'll be cooking again for sure.

I was looking for easy the last few months and my body is giving me the big ole middle finger!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (10-28-2018), xolady (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 08:33 AM

Donation Award 

I didnt cook last night as we went to a party and I didnt want to eat and still try to fit into my costume LOL

(had a fitted waist)

So tonight I'll be going back to the chicken dinner again. Thinking a salad, chicken (maybe bbq) and either rice or potatoes. Not sure which.
Yeah thinking bbq. Less to clean up afterward.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (10-28-2018), xolady (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 08:51 AM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,800 Times in 2,082 Posts

Very simple Sunday meal for me today....Split pea soup with mustard, and a glass of milk. Dessert: a banana

The Following User Says Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
xolady (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 09:09 AM

Started a huge pot of chicken stock, hit a great sale on leg quarters 38cents a pound. Bags were 10lbs so I am making stock so I can do a lot of other stuff with chicken.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (10-28-2018), sidewalker (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 09:21 AM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,839 Times in 11,078 Posts

Used the Instant Pot for the first time last night - made their recipe for lamb tajine. Dull recipe, I must say. Cool pot, though! Next time I make it, it's getting lots of lemon juice, orange sections and about double the spices! Cleanup was wonderful - soapy sponge around the inside of the pot and done,

Last edited by nimuay; 10-28-2018 at 12:08 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nimuay For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (10-28-2018), xolady (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 09:38 AM

Donation Award 

I used mine night before last. It was a last min decision to make stew.
I didnt have the usual veggies I normally add. So it was odd.
I will say........it came out great!
Remember the *steaks* I said hubby was a little peeved I didnt bbq?
Well I had leftover veg, broth from that.
I first browned the stew beef then added the (frozen) broth from the previous dinner.
cooked it down for maybe half hr.
Then I added some frozen veggies...(brocoli, calliflower, and some peas) taters

Cooked again (under pressure) for a bit longer and added some bread crumbs to try to thicken the broth. Oh my gosh, it came out great.

I started this all at about 4:30-5 pm. By 6 we had dinner!

That's my dog's nose art

onedayatatime13 (10-28-2018), xolady (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 10:11 AM

Anyone ever use beef neck bones for anything? One grocery store here has them very cheap I'm not sure what besides soup or beef stock that you would do with them. They are loaded with meat.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Полезный дурак

It is best to braise neck bones. With some herbs, tomato paste, onion, red wine and garlic. My husband likes them this way with cabbage and fried potatoes on the side.

There are so many combinations to braise them with changes to the spices and pairings. Once, my husband did it with pear.

You can use them for sandwiches or any where people use tender, pulled meat once they are really soft. Tacos maybe ??

I know you said „no soup” but my husband used beef neck bones all the time for borscht. That is probably not your thing !

I am not a beef eater but he is so that is the only ways I know !!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
xolady (10-29-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 11:26 AM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,586 Times in 2,464 Posts

I made baked ziti last week for the first time...I came home the next morning expecting to have some for lunch when I woke up later, nope barely a corner of the pan left

So I'm back at again today, meal planning for the week. I'm also going to make a sweet potato pie, I think I found a good batch this morning. Potato soup and chili may be on the menu since the chill is back in the air.
Ne Plach’ (10-28-2018), sidewalker (10-29-2018), xolady (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne Plach’ View Post
It is best to braise neck bones. With some herbs, tomato paste, onion, red wine and garlic. My husband likes them this way with cabbage and fried potatoes on the side.

There are so many combinations to braise them with changes to the spices and pairings. Once, my husband did it with pear.

You can use them for sandwiches or any where people use tender, pulled meat once they are really soft. Tacos maybe ??

I know you said „no soup” but my husband used beef neck bones all the time for borscht. That is probably not your thing !

I am not a beef eater but he is so that is the only ways I know !!
Great idea's thank you I really wasn't sure if the meat was edible!!! LOL I had never seen them in the grocery store before, I know my grandmother used to make a stew with them but back then I wouldn't eat anything that had bones!!!LOL I love beef barley soup so thats always a good option.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
choclgs (11-04-2018), Ne Plach’ (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 07:14 AM

Hi! Anyone who has a good recipe for veggie burgers?
It's for my diet, but I cannot use soy, potatoes and I can use very little flour.
The Following User Says Thank You to +VERDE+ For This Useful Post:
xolady (10-30-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:31 AM

Donation Award 

I dont but what about black beans?
You could check here:
https://www.cookinglight.com/food/ve...burger-recipes

That's my dog's nose art

+VERDE+ (10-30-2018), xolady (10-30-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 06:04 PM
Полезный дурак

Hi, I have lots of veggie burger recipes. I need fibre and husband needed a lot of carbohydrates. No soy but one has sweet potato, is that o.k.? There are a handful with no flour and a few that use it for dredging only. Is that o.k. ??

Here are a few , let me know what looks good and I will find the original recipe.
Portobello : the burger patty is actually a prepared seasoned giant mushroom.
Chickpeas : spicy OR lemony x tahini
Quinoa and mixed veg [ 2 versions .. ]
Mushroom and quinoa
Lemony lentil

Again, let me know. Here or PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
+VERDE+ (10-30-2018), Sarianna (10-30-2018), xolady (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne Plach’ View Post
Hi, I have lots of veggie burger recipes. I need fibre and husband needed a lot of carbohydrates. No soy but one has sweet potato, is that o.k.? There are a handful with no flour and a few that use it for dredging only. Is that o.k. ??

Here are a few , let me know what looks good and I will find the original recipe.
Portobello : the burger patty is actually a prepared seasoned giant mushroom.
Chickpeas : spicy OR lemony x tahini
Quinoa and mixed veg [ 2 versions .. ]
Mushroom and quinoa
Lemony lentil

Again, let me know. Here or PM.
I love portobello's grilled!!!!
sidewalker (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 07:28 AM

I made a boneless Pork Butt, just put adobo on it 1/2 can beer. It turned out awesome great sandwiches. Now I can do a stirfry with the left overs.
Sarianna (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 07:29 AM

Donation Award 

Me too (on the portabella burgers. so yum)

Son came home from work early yesterday. Tummy trouble. still not right today.
So because of that...I know he loves clam chowder, so my and hub went and got some but added more clams. Got some ginger ale, and soda crackers and of course sour dough french bread.

Probably gonna do something light for dinner again tonight.

All I know is if I dont feel well, I dont eat. NOT so with hub and son.
ewwwww. I just cant.

That's my dog's nose art

Sarianna (10-30-2018), xolady (10-30-2018)