Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New York that do not fit into any other New York sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:33 PM

Default Gone to Reception

Well he finally got the call today to go upstate so he'll be heading to reception today. It's a bit of a bitter sweet moment because I wanted to see him before he left but I'm also very happy that he's finally out of County and headed towards his 90 days. Its gonna be a lonely summer 😢.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2019, 01:42 PM

Thanked 3,371 Times in 1,574 Posts

Look at as movement forward. The waiting and not knowing is over. He could be in reception for 2 to 4 weeks before the 90 days start.

Jpay.com for commissary money. He wont be able to receive any packages.

Call the reception place to find out when you can visit.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
Look at as movement forward. The waiting and not knowing is over. He could be in reception for 2 to 4 weeks before the 90 days start.

Jpay.com for commissary money. He wont be able to receive any packages.

Call the reception place to find out when you can visit.
Looks like he's in Downstate. I just set up my phone but it didn't ask me for his DIN so I hope I did it right. I don't expect he will be able to call tonight. Are the hours in State the same as county (Phones open from 5 am - 9 pm/lights out)?

You're very right though, some movement is better than the waiting game. At least this way we know he's one step closer to getting to his program. I'm going to try my hardest to stay busy and stay positive.

Edit:

Also after his 97 days (Once he's placed) will he get out the very next day or is there another transfer/waiting period. I just want to make sure I know all of the info so I can plan accordingly.

Last edited by DailyLimitReach; 05-07-2019 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Added an additional question
Old 05-07-2019, 08:37 PM

We were never at downstate. At Ulster, it was afternoon and if he went to the yard. It depended on the weather. Downstate is a max facility so I believe visiting is everyday and phones could be different. Just watch for the area code of the facility. Phone calls for us with reception were short..like 10 min.

I think Willard gives them a bus ticket home from older posts. Once he gets there, he'll be able to write or tell you more. Do a search on old Willard posts and you might find your answers. I wish I could help more.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:39 PM

Focus on you. Things you may have neglected during this time. Catch up on things. Make a lists of things you would like to accomplish. As you check them off, it wont be time wasted.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Focus on you. Things you may have neglected during this time. Catch up on things. Make a lists of things you would like to accomplish. As you check them off, it wont be time wasted.
Thats a fantastic idea. I'll definitely be doing that over the next few weeks as I have a lot to accomplish over the next few months.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
We were never at downstate. At Ulster, it was afternoon and if he went to the yard. It depended on the weather. Downstate is a max facility so I believe visiting is everyday and phones could be different. Just watch for the area code of the facility. Phone calls for us with reception were short..like 10 min.

I think Willard gives them a bus ticket home from older posts. Once he gets there, he'll be able to write or tell you more. Do a search on old Willard posts and you might find your answers. I wish I could help more.
You've been more than helpful. Thank you so much!
Old 05-11-2019, 02:42 AM

Ughhh I hate having so many questions! Now that my guy has transferred to NYSDOC when can we expect his commissary money to transfer back to him from NYCDOC? I just put money on his books right before he left and due to an unexpected bill I wont be able to afford to put more money on until I get paid again next week. He hasn't been able to go to commissary yet since his day is Wednesday so this will be his first trip so I want to make sure he's set up okay.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyLimitReach View Post
Ughhh I hate having so many questions! Now that my guy has transferred to NYSDOC when can we expect his commissary money to transfer back to him from NYCDOC? I just put money on his books right before he left and due to an unexpected bill I wont be able to afford to put more money on until I get paid again next week. He hasn't been able to go to commissary yet since his day is Wednesday so this will be his first trip so I want to make sure he's set up okay.
There is no sure answer if his transferred money will get to his account to be available for his commissary buy day. Donít add anything to JPay until you can pay your own bills first!
He may not have extras, but he gets 5 free mails, he has 3 hots and a cot. It might not be the extras immediately, but he will be okay until you get yourself squared away.
Heíll be busy the first 2 weeks walking all over for testing, waiting, then walking back. Donít stress this small part, there will be plenty in the future and you donít want to burn yourself out first thing.
It will be okay. Breathe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
DailyLimitReach (05-11-2019), onedayatatime13 (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 07:37 AM

With every move they make, the money doesnt immediately go with them. It's like different savings accounts that need to be liquidated and transferred. The one from NYC takes the longest. He'll get a paper when that money transfers. For us, it took 6 weeks, but this was before the system went electronic.

If you cannot, then his family needs to pitch in or a good friend.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
DailyLimitReach (05-11-2019), Ms Sunny (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
There is no sure answer if his transferred money will get to his account to be available for his commissary buy day. Donít add anything to JPay until you can pay your own bills first!
He may not have extras, but he gets 5 free mails, he has 3 hots and a cot. It might not be the extras immediately, but he will be okay until you get yourself squared away.
Heíll be busy the first 2 weeks walking all over for testing, waiting, then walking back. Donít stress this small part, there will be plenty in the future and you donít want to burn yourself out first thing.
It will be okay. Breathe
Oh no I'm definitely not paying when I can't afford to and he's very understanding of that. I was hoping to give him some reassurance that the other money would be getting there soon. Hopefully his family sends him some as well.

Thanks so much for your response. He's been there almost a week (Tuesday) and it's seemed to fly by so i guess this whole situation is getting easier for me, although I still worry.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
With every move they make, the money doesnt immediately go with them. It's like different savings accounts that need to be liquidated and transferred. The one from NYC takes the longest. He'll get a paper when that money transfers. For us, it took 6 weeks, but this was before the system went electronic.

If you cannot, then his family needs to pitch in or a good friend.
Agreed. It's the weirdest thing. He'll give me their contact info to relay messages like how to put money on his books or the phone and they seem to get the message but they never actually respond to me. I only fond out from talking to him. You would expect to get a simple "I got it" or "Thanks" but nada.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:47 AM

It's not his first rodeo nor theirs. Remember to look out for you.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
It's not his first rodeo nor theirs. Remember to look out for you.
Definitely needed to hear that! I gotta stop spinning my wheels over here.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:14 AM

He will be fine. If he is a smoker, he is going to want cigarettes. Might be uncomfortable, but he will live.

He put himself there. You have stood beside him and helped. You have done enough for now. At the end of the month, he'll go to commissary again.

But when he leaves there, the money will lag again.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:45 AM

Just so you know, in reception he will have a $75 spending limit on food and hygiene every 2 weeks. If he smokes, he can purchase 2 cartons there. They run 10-11 a pack.

Once he goes to Willard, he may need to purchase a few things like a jock strap and some other things for the program (for shock the jock strap stood out and we had a good laugh). But no food. Only what they serve, so commissary is really just toiletries.

No packages at either place. They will take 50% of the money you send. So if you put 150 on his books in NYC, he will only see 75. This will continue until every is paid off. If you are helping, you guys need to budget together and he needs to be realistic.
Most court fees are $350 plus a DNA fee. if more than one case, it will be double the court fees. If he has additional fines, they will take for that as well. Later there is a $40 gate fee for money when he leaves. He will get a monthly print out that shows things being paid off and what he owes. At the top of his commissary sheets, will let him know how much he has to spend on items. You wont know, but he will.

Since he has a history or substance abuse, knowing where the money is going is really important. Dont put money on anyone else's books or moneygram anything to anyone's family. Sure sign he is up to no good.

Calls are cheaper and state offers more than Rikers, but it can still get expensive.

Last edited by onedayatatime13; 05-11-2019 at 08:50 AM..
Old 05-11-2019, 09:13 AM

I noticed the phone calls were much less expensive than I was expecting. So far I haven't gotten any calls that are over 60 cents and that one was about 10 minutes. When I paid for the calls on my debit card at Rikers a 15 minute call was like 7 bucks! I'm so glad they stopped that highway at robbery there.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try to get more info out of him as to what he owes and how was can figure out a schedule. It's hard to talk about all of this in such short phone calls. I should start making a list so I can knock these things out quickly and not forget what we need to talk about.

He doesn't smoke cigarettes so he's okay there. He would just want clothes/shorts for the summer time, sneakers (the boots hurt his feet so he's requesting a sneaker pass) and snacks/food.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I noticed the phone calls were much less expensive than I was expecting. So far I haven't gotten any calls that are over 60 cents and that one was about 10 minutes. When I paid for the calls on my debit card at Rikers a 15 minute call was like 7 bucks! I'm so glad they stopped that highway at robbery there.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try to get more info out of him as to what he owes and how was can figure out a schedule. It's hard to talk about all of this in such short phone calls. I should start making a list so I can knock these things out quickly and not forget what we need to talk about.

He doesn't smoke cigarettes so he's okay there. He would just want clothes/shorts for the summer time, sneakers (the boots hurt his feet so he's requesting a sneaker pass) and snacks/food.
He wont be able to get anything such as clothes. Sneakers or boots. Only food and hygiene in reception.

At Willard, hygiene. Everything will be given to him. State issued.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:

He wont be able to get anything such as clothes. Sneakers or boots. Only food and hygiene in reception.

At Willard, hygiene. Everything will be given to him. State issued.

As for fines, he will get a monthly print out.

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
DailyLimitReach (05-11-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 07:30 PM

Just an update (Mostly for me to keep a log). He was transferred to Willard and arrived today. Since they start on Tuesdays he was given credit for the last 3 days so he's be there for 94 days. Im not happy about the limited contact that we'll have but I'm glad he's going to be in a structured environment. He likes structure. I guess the countdown starts now.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:57 PM

Good. At least it is started. Get used to letter writing. They can have around 5 or 6 pictures total. At least at Shock it was 6. Just verify with him.

We are in transit now. Tomorrow I'll know where he will be located. It is stressful each way you look at it.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Good. At least it is started. Get used to letter writing. They can have around 5 or 6 pictures total. At least at Shock it was 6. Just verify with him.

We are in transit now. Tomorrow I'll know where he will be located. It is stressful each way you look at it.
Very! I think it helps build our strength though. At least I hope. Do you know why he's being transferred? Hopefully its somewhere you can visit easily.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Very! I think it helps build our strength though. At least I hope. Do you know why he's being transferred? Hopefully its somewhere you can visit easily.
He was medically denied shock, so he has to be moved to another facility. Tomorrow is the day!

Old 05-17-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
He was medically denied shock, so he has to be moved to another facility. Tomorrow is the day!
Glad you're seeing progress as well!