Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > USP Victorville
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

USP Victorville Topics and discussion specific to USP VIctorville in Adelanto, CA.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:19 AM

Thanked 1,453 Times in 797 Posts
Default Victorville disease outbreaks

Victorville already had medical understaffing and now has two infectious disease outbreaks.
Quote:
“Somebody could die. Having just what we have [in staffing], there is no way you’re going to catch something unless it’s too late or close to too late,” *a current medical staffer who corroborated Kostelnik’s account of the medical situation, told HuffPost. This staffer requested anonymity for fear of retaliation after staff was warned not to talk to the press.
The chickenpox patients are in quarantine.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b07b827cb9ed38

Quote:
Now the outbreak of scabies, a highly infectious skin condition, has more than tripled ― spreading to at least 38 detainees. And,*according to a letter sent to the staff June 30 and shown to HuffPost, an additional detainee has contracted chickenpox.
Quote:
There are currently only two doctors on staff ― one of whom is the clinical director ― for the 4,500 people incarcerated at Victorville, and the health care team is missing the several nurses and physician assistants needed to be in compliance with BOP guidelines. Takano added that a physician assistant told him the one doctor on staff who takes calls was unable to see detainees because he was busy at other prison facilities.
fbopnomore (07-03-2018), Lytebryte (07-03-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2018, 08:31 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,742 Posts

Scabies runs rampant in prisons and numerous cases pop up across the US every year. Even if there were a hundred doctors there they wouldn't be able to catch it. All they can do is identify and quarantine. Every case I've ever seen in prisons the staff hands out the prescription cream like it was free to get rid of it quickly. Seriously, the staff has to be in there with the inmates every day, touching the same surfaces they do. They WANT to get it cleared up quickly.

Chicken pox as an adult is more problematic than it is as a child but is still rarely deadly unless there's other health problems. However, much like scabies, all there is to do is to identify and quarantine as chicken pox is highly contagious. The only treatment is Acyclovir and tylenol or ibuprofen...but I can't see BOP handing out Acyclovir so really the treatment is much like anything else....rest, fluids, quarantine. Utilizing the chicken pox vaccine for adults who have never had chicken pox would be a great program to start.

IMO this is no different than protesting about inmates in California and Arizona getting Valley Fever....like there's anything that anyone can do about something that's airborne. There's no way to stop any of these things from occurring in prisons. 38 people out of 4,500 getting scabies isn't bad at all. My husband was in a tiny private prison. 1000 inmates total....they had an entire unit designated quarantine for scabies. That's 80 inmates out of 1000.

I know I'll never get award for "most sympathetic" but this is no different than the several times a year we hear about flu outbreaks in prisons. It's what is to be expected in a setting with thousands of people in close quarters. Just like you would expect to get sick more often if you worked at the airport or in a hospital. I agree that medical in prisons (not just V-Ville, but country wide) is seriously lacking. But for matters like these (scabies, chicken-pox, flu, colds, pink eye, etc....highly contagious, hard to control in masses, generally not life threatening) I don't understand the outcry when inmates with serious health conditions are going without treatment. One of my best friends has a mass...which they won't even bother taking a biopsy because he's under two years. And then he has to go to the feds where he will also be considered short term so he'll end up having to wait 3-4 years before even knowing what it is. Hep C, Cancer, AIDS, mental health needs often go ignored.

Last edited by Fridyrr.Likn; 07-03-2018 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: Add info
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
Lytebryte (07-03-2018), maytayah (07-03-2018), safran (07-03-2018), Samantha004 (07-05-2018), Sarianna (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 10:25 AM
The Wait Is Almost Over!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
Scabies runs rampant in prisons and numerous cases pop up across the US every year. Even if there were a hundred doctors there they wouldn't be able to catch it. All they can do is identify and quarantine. Every case I've ever seen in prisons the staff hands out the prescription cream like it was free to get rid of it quickly. Seriously, the staff has to be in there with the inmates every day, touching the same surfaces they do. They WANT to get it cleared up quickly.

Chicken pox as an adult is more problematic than it is as a child but is still rarely deadly unless there's other health problems. However, much like scabies, all there is to do is to identify and quarantine as chicken pox is highly contagious. The only treatment is Acyclovir and tylenol or ibuprofen...but I can't see BOP handing out Acyclovir so really the treatment is much like anything else....rest, fluids, quarantine. Utilizing the chicken pox vaccine for adults who have never had chicken pox would be a great program to start.

IMO this is no different than protesting about inmates in California and Arizona getting Valley Fever....like there's anything that anyone can do about something that's airborne. There's no way to stop any of these things from occurring in prisons. 38 people out of 4,500 getting scabies isn't bad at all. My husband was in a tiny private prison. 1000 inmates total....they had an entire unit designated quarantine for scabies. That's 80 inmates out of 1000.

I know I'll never get award for "most sympathetic" but this is no different than the several times a year we hear about flu outbreaks in prisons. It's what is to be expected in a setting with thousands of people in close quarters. Just like you would expect to get sick more often if you worked at the airport or in a hospital. I agree that medical in prisons (not just V-Ville, but country wide) is seriously lacking. But for matters like these (scabies, chicken-pox, flu, colds, pink eye, etc....highly contagious, hard to control in masses, generally not life threatening) I don't understand the outcry when inmates with serious health conditions are going without treatment. One of my best friends has a mass...which they won't even bother taking a biopsy because he's under two years. And then he has to go to the feds where he will also be considered short term so he'll end up having to wait 3-4 years before even knowing what it is. Hep C, Cancer, AIDS, mental health needs often go ignored.

Well said!

God gives his toughest battles, to his strongest💪🏼 soldiers!. I'm loyal to the soil... And nobody can change that.. The wait is almost over, and I'm patiently waiting on Babe!. ⌛️ ❤️💯🤷🏽
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lytebryte For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (07-03-2018), His_Queen13 (07-03-2018), Sarianna (07-03-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 01:07 AM

Very true, however they do carry Acyclovir/ Zovirax in their pharmacies, for severe outbreaks of Herpes. It all depends if the MD or NP is willing to write the order.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:44 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 9,247 Times in 3,900 Posts

I agree no one can do anything about stopping chicken pox or scabies they are prevalent in prisons and schools and the general population. All that can be done is treat and quarantine.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (07-05-2018), Hurley123 (07-06-2018), Sarianna (07-07-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 11:26 AM

Giving people the required medical screenings on intake might help ...

There are other problems too. I feel for people who have a loved one at Victorville.
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...soners-695215/
Quote:
After being on lockdown for the first week, the inmates – who are housed in separate quarters than the detainees – now receive sporadic time in the yard and are confined to their cells whenever the detainees move between the cafeteria and recreation time, according to Kostelnik and five inmates who spoke to Rolling Stone. Inmates can receive visitors three times a week, but those can be called off with no notice. On June 28th, officials made an announcement that all visitation would be canceled without explanation. The inmates said that they were promised conditions would improve since there were fewer inmates in the prison left to care for, but daily routines that were once filled with programming aimed at rehabilitation have been turned upside down.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:41 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
Giving people the required medical screenings on intake might help ...

There are other problems too. I feel for people who have a loved one at Victorville.
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...soners-695215/
It can take 2 to 6 WEEKS after scabies is introduced to begin seeing symptoms. What exact screenings do you expect them to do? Also...there's no telling where an inmate got chicken pox. It could have been AT intake. A CO's kid is home with chicken pox...the inmate never had it as a child and isn't vaccinated...There's just no telling. I understand that you are concerned...but there are FAR bigger fish. These issues are happening in every prison, jail, school, on and on all over. Like lice in a kindergarten class.

The problems at V-Ville aren't restricted to that specific prison. In 2012 my fiance was moved to USP Pollock from FCI Phoenix. The day before he got there a CO who had been antagonizing a lifer for weeks was killed. They were on hard lock down for 8 weeks. After that point they were allowed out very briefly for several more weeks before it went back to business as usual.

I've had loved ones in state prisons when the state decided to turn half of the yard into PC or SO yards....AZ does this ALLL the time. The designations on yards is forever changing. And then the GP inmates get locked down every time the other population is moved.

You see it as horrendous treatment and demand changes be made...but this is NORMAL in prison. In all federal above a minimum and many many state facilities.
fbopnomore (07-06-2018), safran (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 11:42 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

By the way....for the record....I've had loved ones at Victorville. It sucks, it's always sucked, it will always suck. It's called Victimville for good reason. But it's prison.
fbopnomore (07-06-2018), Samantha004 (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 03:45 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,992 Times in 11,683 Posts

Federal prisons administer the TB skin test to all inmates yearly, but don't test for anything else. The biggest issue I found was the purposeful misdiagnosis of MRSA boils as "spider bites".

Last edited by fbopnomore; 07-06-2018 at 09:42 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (07-09-2018), Hurley123 (07-07-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 08:29 PM

> there are FAR bigger fish

Yes, that is true. I'll keep posting about the mid-sized fish.
Hurley123 (07-07-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 10:08 PM

Thanked 3,385 Times in 1,068 Posts

Well... get your varicella vaccine before you break the law then.