Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Prison & Legal News, Info & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio Prison & Legal News, Info & Events Place news, info and events relating to the prison, criminal justice and legal system in the State of Ohio in this forum.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,144 Times in 558 Posts
Default Franklin Co. Jail Employees To Be Disciplined Over 'Deplorable' Conditions

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/...onditions.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Multiple sources confirmed Thursday that the Franklin County Jail plans to discipline dozens of employees after an investigation surrounding unacceptable conditions inside a cell in the facility.
Sources said that an internal affairs investigation was completed as a result of questions that arose following the death of an inmate in September, 10 Investigates' Paul Aker reported.
The sources told Aker that the investigation focused in part, on a Franklin County major in charge of jail operations.
10 Investigates spoke with the inmates' guardian who called the conditions "deplorable."
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2012, 07:41 PM

You know it is sad how inmates are treated, I understand that for the most part they have done wrong but 2 wrongs don't make a right nor does it fix any problems. Unfortunately money is what makes this world go around and in order to get your voice heard against a deputy, judge or authority in most towns, money is exactly what it is gonna take, which is why they get away with all they do. My son was in the Clark County jail in Springfield and wow was that place disgusting. I know there was a 2 week period where they were on lockdown because the shower was broke and they had to fix it which posed a danger to allow the inmates out of their cells and also meant he got 1 shower every 4-5 days. I have also been told by more than 1 person that they usually get fed portions smaller than you would get in a kids meal. Rice is generally given for all 3 meals, if they get chips with their lunch as a side they literally are fed 3-4 potato chips!! Sorry I just had to vent, it is sorry hard to watch a loved one go through the system.
The Following User Says Thank You to tweety1970 For This Useful Post:
xanthra (09-20-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety1970
You know it is sad how inmates are treated, I understand that for the most part they have done wrong but 2 wrongs don't make a right nor does it fix any problems. Unfortunately money is what makes this world go around and in order to get your voice heard against a deputy, judge or authority in most towns, money is exactly what it is gonna take, which is why they get away with all they do. My son was in the Clark County jail in Springfield and wow was that place disgusting. I know there was a 2 week period where they were on lockdown because the shower was broke and they had to fix it which posed a danger to allow the inmates out of their cells and also meant he got 1 shower every 4-5 days. I have also been told by more than 1 person that they usually get fed portions smaller than you would get in a kids meal. Rice is generally given for all 3 meals, if they get chips with their lunch as a side they literally are fed 3-4 potato chips!! Sorry I just had to vent, it is sorry hard to watch a loved one go through the system.
Clark county jail is absolutely disgusting.. When I went to visit him I almost threw up at the smell of the "booths". I told him I can only imagine how it smelled behind that glass.. He said the same thing about the food & that they served rice alot.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:32 PM

Well I know that my Friend is in Franklin County Jail he is a combat Vet wit PTSD and has been in there for 2 months now. He has not had any Lawyers or even seen a Judge. He was in North Central Corrections for a Felony and was there 8 months and now is in Franklin county on a Misdemenor Warrant. They are Charging him $5.00 a month for blood Pressure Meds and he has no money coming in because he can not get paperwork done to even get this taken care of. I think it is a shame they treat them like this and they risk their lives for our freedom and this is the thanks they get.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Banned

What is he in there for ? And why has not seen a public defender or can he afford an atty or a judge ? Something does not sound kosher
Old 09-20-2012, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfern View Post
Well I know that my Friend is in Franklin County Jail he is a combat Vet wit PTSD and has been in there for 2 months now. He has not had any Lawyers or even seen a Judge. He was in North Central Corrections for a Felony and was there 8 months and now is in Franklin county on a Misdemenor Warrant. They are Charging him $5.00 a month for blood Pressure Meds and he has no money coming in because he can not get paperwork done to even get this taken care of. I think it is a shame they treat them like this and they risk their lives for our freedom and this is the thanks they get.

people with warrants are put on the back burner, they started this about 2 years ago, cause they assume that they were all out on the streets having fun and alluding the court system. But they usually are only delayed about two weeks, not 2 months.

You should be calling the clerk of courts, and I would call the judge he is assigned to who issued the warrant.

If you want PM me and give me his name and DOB, and my buddy there at the clerks office will look into it, I can also send it to the public defenders office for you and have them look into it as well.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydidit17 View Post
http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/...onditions.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Multiple sources confirmed Thursday that the Franklin County Jail plans to discipline dozens of employees after an investigation surrounding unacceptable conditions inside a cell in the facility.
Sources said that an internal affairs investigation was completed as a result of questions that arose following the death of an inmate in September, 10 Investigates' Paul Aker reported.
The sources told Aker that the investigation focused in part, on a Franklin County major in charge of jail operations.
10 Investigates spoke with the inmates' guardian who called the conditions "deplorable."

That is the major who won't call me back I am visiting there tomorrow. I'll send this to the bureau of adult detentions investigator. The investigator told me that the difference between sherriff Scott and Karnes is like night and day.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Banned

Is that a good thing ?
Old 09-20-2012, 02:20 PM

yep, karnes did not care, stuck in his own way.

we had a great visit, gave him phone number to bureau of adult detentions, no kites are answered except medical, they seen where deputies are throwing them in the trash cans in there little office.

I tried to drop off books for another inmate and visit cahill, can't do both, so i threw them in trash while being on camera also requested for social worker she wouldn't do that either.

I ordered cahill state and federal roster books from secretary of states office, they called me friday and the envelope says refused by cahill. Cahill never saw the envelope nor did they tell him. So I called secretary of state let them know, they are sending me the whole package

Cahill got the open sunshine law book from ohio attorney generals office, it came as legal mail.

So I told cahill to start registering people to vote absenmtee ballet, and see if they deny them access to vote

He is also requesting for minimum standards of jails under public records, see if they deny him
Old 09-21-2012, 02:06 AM

I got packet from secretary of state, REF is written on it meaning refused, reason for return...receiver did not order, refused original receiver Cahill

They are now down to milk and water.

Cahill told me today when he was raising hell about the jail conditions years ago, the major called him at home yelling and screaming at him, threatening him.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:19 AM
Banned

Is this the same guy from CURE ? What happened that he is jail ?
Old 09-22-2012, 12:54 AM

yep same guy, burglary took a lawnmower from a vacant house
Old 09-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Banned

well, that sucks. How long did he get ?
Old 10-02-2012, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopster View Post
yep, karnes did not care, stuck in his own way.

we had a great visit, gave him phone number to bureau of adult detentions, no kites are answered except medical, they seen where deputies are throwing them in the trash cans in there little office.

I tried to drop off books for another inmate and visit cahill, can't do both, so i threw them in trash while being on camera also requested for social worker she wouldn't do that either.

I ordered cahill state and federal roster books from secretary of states office, they called me friday and the envelope says refused by cahill. Cahill never saw the envelope nor did they tell him. So I called secretary of state let them know, they are sending me the whole package

Cahill got the open sunshine law book from ohio attorney generals office, it came as legal mail.

So I told cahill to start registering people to vote absenmtee ballet, and see if they deny them access to vote

He is also requesting for minimum standards of jails under public records, see if they deny him

Just almost like i predicted, instead of his ansentee ballots being returned to franklin county board of elections, they were instead put into his personal property so he can get them when he is released. Talk about retards. Voting is a constitutional right So I have been super busy emailing and talking on phone.

Cahill still has not seen a greivance form, now they are denying him kites, they told him to kite social services to get a kite, and he has no kite to kite her. He has also seen kites in the trash, as they scan them.

We got an excellent case blasting the jails greivance system out of federal court last year. The case is I sent that in to him also. plus ohio administrative codes for jails. They shouyld get rec 5 days a week, but he has only had rec once in last month. But I know the log books will be falsified.

I goty his commissary receipt where they are taxing him for every 20 cents he spends, a penny. sounds like back pay.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:51 AM

cahill was seen last friday by sarge, colonel, and guard regarding his public records request for minimum standards of jails. He questioned about their laundry being done once every two weeks, they said they are behind.

He asked why no recreation, they said cards and TV are recreation.

they said he will get his ballots(this was last friday, as of tuesday, he didn't have them yet.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:58 AM

Way to go Cahill
Old 10-05-2012, 01:51 AM

Quote:
cahill was seen last friday by sarge, colonel, and guard regarding his public records request for minimum standards of jails. He questioned about their laundry being done once every two weeks, they said they are behind.

He asked why no recreation, they said cards and TV are recreation.

they said he will get his ballots(this was last friday, as of tuesday, he didn't have them yet.

as of thursday still no ballots but they are tellling DRC officials that they have a process to vote, and Cahill wants to know what it is? where is it? all talk and no action. Cahill has a slip that two envelopes went to his property, and has no clue what they are, doesn't get to see them? file an appeal to contest like DRC system has, and challenge if they are a threat to penological interest under Knecht v. Collins. Emails are pending with postal inspectors, plus next will be Derelection of duty charges ORC 2921.44

Oh yeah, because he has some money on his books, he has to wait two weeks to go to store and get envelopes. He is not allowed to get free envelopes. Plus they were on front page of Dispatch thursday regarding federal lawsuit with tasers

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...aser-suit.html

Last edited by scoopster; 10-05-2012 at 02:11 AM..
Old 10-07-2012, 11:41 AM

Oh I Think it sucks they can not even go outside for recreation. My friend was a runner for a while and then the nurse pulled him because of him being on blood pressure meds. I think they were just to lazy to find him to give his meds. Now he is stuck in the pod 24/7. They have lots of fights as well in the pods.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 AM

http://www.auditor.state.oh.us/servi...iffsManual.pdf
Old 10-09-2012, 01:49 AM

Commissary fund revenues in excess of operating costs and reserve are considered profits. With
respect to the expenditure of those revenues, the statute states: all profits from the commissary fund
shall be used to purchase supplies and equipment, and to provide life skills training and education or
treatment services, or both, for the benefit of persons incarcerated in the jail, and to pay salary and
benefits for employees of the sheriff who work in or are employed for the purpose of providing
service to the commissary. The sheriff shall adopt rules for the operation of any commissary fund
the sheriff establishes.
Even though the Inmate Fund and the Commissary Fund go hand in hand, they should have separate
checking accounts.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Banned

and to provide life skills training and education or
treatment services, or both, for the benefit of persons incarcerated in the jail, and the above is a crock of do do
Old 10-11-2012, 06:57 AM

they finally passed out 5 books to each cell the other day, and of course all books given to them for free, from us, so we saved them money to go towards staff.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:28 AM

Okay Cahill did not get to vote. The board of elections had his name on their list to cast a ballot and was suppose to go see them on the 29th which changed to the 5th. Of course Cahill had court both them days.

There was 23 inmates regisitered to vote at FCCC2

Cahill said his pants have not been washed for two weeks. I sent in numerous jail policies to him which were sent to colonel to look at and see if he can have them, plus read my smart comments.

Prison legal news also sent books back on the 25th, still does not have them. I also got all the recent jail inspections for the county jail. Found some good information in them. They are way over capacity also.

They have no mail policy either, explaining what they can and can't have, nor an appeal process regarding their incoming mail. they get a slip two envelopes into property, and blank doesn't say who from nothing.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:58 AM

Prison legal news was sent back return to sender

Regarding the voting we have a case. The BOE was there on the 5th and seen 19 of the inmates to vote. Cahill was at court 10 hours. So on the 6th they came back for 3 of them to vote.

Cahill said he was in room with tiffany and BOE people, and tiffany said since he is now convicted of a felony he can not vote. Cahill said what if I get sentenced to probation? I'm still allowed to vote. They were quiet and Tiffany said he still can't vote.

The judge in Cahill's case ordered a pre-sentence investigation, and won't be sentenced till next month. So therefore, he has not been sentenced. Sentencing is where you lose the right to vote. Now comes lawsuits
The Following User Says Thank You to scoopster For This Useful Post:
lisasf (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Prison legal news was sent back return to sender

Regarding the voting we have a case. The BOE was there on the 5th and seen 19 of the inmates to vote. Cahill was at court 10 hours. So on the 6th they came back for 3 of them to vote.

Cahill said he was in room with tiffany and BOE people, and tiffany said since he is now convicted of a felony he can not vote. Cahill said what if I get sentenced to probation? I'm still allowed to vote. They were quiet and Tiffany said he still can't vote.

The judge in Cahill's case ordered a pre-sentence investigation, and won't be sentenced till next month. So therefore, he has not been sentenced. Sentencing is where you lose the right to vote. Now comes lawsuits
Stick it to them... and stick it to them GOOD! I am beyond SICK of Ohio and the system in general. Scumbags.