Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WISCONSIN > Wisconsin Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wisconsin Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Wisconsin Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 07-22-2016, 09:46 AM

Default What is visiting in Fox Lake like?

I heard my friend is in Fox Lake and I have never visited a Wisconsin prison. Does anyone have any experience with how visits work in Fox Lake?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2016, 02:38 PM

First of all your friend has to send you a visitor approval form for you to complete and submit. You have to mail the form back to the facility and they will notify your friend if and when you are approved to visit. Once you are approved the actual visiting process is quite easy.

Visiting hours and rules (dress code, etc..) are posted on the facility website so you may want to review them prior to your visit.

When you arrive at the facility you go into the building where there are lockers for you to secure your car keys, etc.. You need a quarter for the locker but get it back when you unlock it. You need your id and can take that with you into the visiting room. You can also take change for the vending machines in the visiting room, but cannot take any paper money into the visiting room.

Once you have secured your things in the locker you check in with the officer at the desk. He will ask for the DOC number of the person you are visiting and will need to see your id. If you do not have the DOC number they will look up the person by name - they just prefer the id number. Once the officer verifies that you are on the approved visitor list you will go through the metal detector. You have three chances to go through the metal detector so make sure you remove anything that may set it off before you go through - glasses, costume jewelry, etc... You can place those things in one of the small bins on the desk and the officer will look to ensure that you aren't taking anything in that is not allowed. You can then put your jewelry (no watches), glasses, etc... back on. An underwire bra will set it off so either wear a bra without an underwire or be prepared to remove your bra to pass through the metal detector. You will have to go the bathroom to remove it, put it in a paper bag, the officer will check the bag and then give it back to you and have you go into a small room to put it back on. It's easier just to wear a bra that does not have an underwire, but I see a lot of women go through the hassle of taking it off, etc...

Once you have successfully passed through the metal detector they will stamp your hand and you walk to the visiting room. The visiting roomis in a building that is a short walk from the entry building - you just follow the sidewalk. Once inside the building you check in with the officer and they assign you to a table. They will notify your friend's unit that he has a visit and soon he will arrive in the visiting room.

There are vending machines available to purchase food, drinks and snacks. Most entree type items are $3- $4.50. Drinks are $1.00 - $2.00. Snack items are $1 - $2. There are a couple of microwaves available for you to use should you purchase anything that needs to be heated.

The room is just a big open room filled with small tables (the size of a living room end table) with either 2 or four chairs around it. There are bathrooms available if you need them. Most of the officers that work in the room are laid back and friendly. There are a couple that can be crabby, but for the most part the environment is very laid back and comfortable.

If your friend is interested he can sign up with the officer to have pictures taken during your visit. There are a few inmates whose job it is to take pictures. Pictures are 75 cents each and your friend would have to have money on his account in order to cover the cost. They will print the pictures and deliver them to your friend's housing unit. He can then send them to you.

All in all the process is very easy. The first time you go it may seem a bit intimidating as you have to pass through a couple of gates where they buzz you in and out.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:10 AM

Thank you so much for explainIng all the details.
I have not had the questionnaire yet but his social worker will grant me special visits. She said my background check came out clear which I knew it would and that I am good to visit.
She told me that her and my friend have been working on the dates.
I have been to a prison in another state before so the buzzing in I had before but will always find it to be disturbing.

When you visit can you stay the entire time or do they allow you certain times?
I read you can take $20 inside. That won't get you far if you stay all day and food costs $4. But we will be alright I think as neither him or me is a carb fan.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:16 PM

Week days visits are three hours and weekend and holiday visits are two hours. Perhaps you are traveling a long distance and have been granted an extended visit. In any case, there are specific times for visits on weekdays and weekends. Your visit must occur during the visiting hours for that day of the week. The only time that visits are cut short is if the tables are full and more people come for visits. In that case they ask people to leave based on when they arrived. However, I suspect that if you are on an extended visit that may not apply to you and will be able to have you entire visit.

As far as the $20 limit, they don't count the money and they are lenient about this. Based on the bags I see people carry in I can assure that many people take in more than $20.

Also, if you visit on a day that the weather is nice, you can have your visit outside at a picnic table instead of inside the visiting room.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:36 AM

I will talk to his social worker about the length of the visit. I will be travelling a long distance of a couple of thousand miles and am kind of hoping that I can stay all day.
I just set up a phone line for him to talk to me but I am sure I didn't do it right as he has not called but his social worker emailed me and told me that he is happy to see me.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:09 PM

Did you set up the phone account through Securus?

I am surprised how much communication you are able to have with his social worker. This is not common.

If approved for an extended visit they are typically 5 hours.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:00 PM

Yes I used Securus. Five hours would be nice. I will see what she says. I just wish I could get the phone to work. Does he need more than my phone number?
Old 07-24-2016, 03:11 PM

He just needs to have your phone number. I believe the first time he attempts to make an outgoing call he will prompted to set up some things on his end - like record his name - so when he calls out it will notify you who is calling when you answer.

The calls will come from a 920 area code. Do you have any blocks or restrictions on your phone that you may not remember or be aware of?
Old 07-24-2016, 03:15 PM

No my phone has no blocks on it. Weird...
Well thank you for all your help.
I am waiting on the response of the social worker regarding how long I can visit for.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:28 PM

Yeah we worked out the phone and we will get extended visits.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:42 PM

Glad to hear that you got the phone issues worked out and that you are going to be able to have extended visits! Enjoy your visit!
Old 07-25-2018, 09:15 PM

Curious as what the chairs are like here. Thanks
Old 07-26-2018, 12:36 PM

They are your classic heavy-duty, plastic prison chairs. The inmate is supposed to sit in the ones that have the arms - although some guys will swap the chair to an arm-less one. Visitors sit in arm-less chairs.
The Following User Says Thank You to onestepcloser For This Useful Post:
shypoet80 (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 03:30 PM

I was also curious if you can have your picture taken while there. I'm planning on coming up but it's quite a drive from where I am. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:32 PM

Yes, you can have pictures taken, but the inmate has to pay for them from their account so you'll want to be sure he has the funds to cover the cost. He will be the one to get the printed pictures after they are approved and then he can send them to you.
shypoet80 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGorman View Post
I heard my friend is in Fox Lake and I have never visited a Wisconsin prison. Does anyone have any experience with how visits work in Fox Lake?
Make sure you are on his approved list first. After that check visitation days and hours. With ID you go right in...no problem. They have an outside visiting area and vending machines. The staff there is reasonably laid back so they won't give you a hard time.
The Following User Says Thank You to formerwisinmate For This Useful Post:
shypoet80 (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 12:06 PM

I plan on going maybe next year for his birthday. I'm a bit bigger so I always worry about chairs..It's a thing since shallow hal. lol I wanted to see what they were like before I asked for the packet.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:18 PM

No worries about the chairs. The visiting room is filled with people of all ages, shapes and sizes. If you can take the time to visit, do it! I'm sure he'd be so happy to have you visit, especially for his birthday. Feel free to ask any other questions you might have
shypoet80 (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 01:40 AM

Thanks Btw is your name a lp reference? They are my favorite band.