Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 PM

Default Need info on holdover at USP Atlanta or Atlanta Camp, destination Edgewood

my love one was in mcfp springfield but designated to edgefield, south carolina. yesterday got transfered to oklahoma, then atlanta, final destination edgefield.
He has no idea how long the stay in both okl and atl. My question is: who can tell me about holdover in usp atlanta? Will he go to a transit unit or a camp n ATL? How bad is it? Anyone been to edgefield?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2012, 09:15 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,218 Times in 15,240 Posts

I've moved your thread to the Federal forum...you'll find specific information here

Welcome to PTO!

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 09-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,507 Times in 11,929 Posts

I was at both prisons in holdover status. 28 days in Atlanta and 6 weeks in OK city, but most stays are much shorter at both.

OK City was the best holdover by far and Atlanta was awful, although not nearly as bad as Lewisburg. In OK City he will be out of his cell most of the time, have TV and phone access and a book cart. In Atlanta he will be locked down 23 hours a day on the days when the inmates are let out at all. No books, TVs only outside the cells facing the other way, and I was the 6th person in a 2 man cell, 4 of us on the floor. That was 7 years ago, but since they so enjoy their reputation as a hellhole, I doubt if anything has changed there.
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Free At Last 5 (11-10-2018)
Old 09-26-2012, 09:30 PM

Wow. But why it took so long? My husband is designated to Edgefield Camp SOuth Carolina. Will it take that long too? Have you been in That isntitution?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:32 PM

Default Not too much help

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
I've moved your thread to the Federal forum...you'll find specific information here

Welcome to PTO!

Went to the forum but not many replies!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:39 PM

Default Holdover

Hi, all i can tell you is that when my hubby transferred to estill, south carolina he was in Altanta USP holdover and they when he arrives there, he will be on lock down 23hrs of the day in and 1 hour out to do activity,, he was there for about a week,,and he said it was a bad experience,,,it takes time for them to get to their final destination,, but just try to be supportive and be strong!
Old 09-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

There's no way to predict how long a transfer will take. When I arrived at USP Atlanta, there was a list of people on the same flight with me who were leaving the next morning. One guy who started with me the same day from Miami, and ended up with me in Loretto, arrrived there more than two full months before I did. He flew directly to Harrisburg, PA from Atlanta after about a week. The same trip, but on a completely different routing, took me almost 3 months.

I was told that it costs the government over $2,000.00 every time a prisoner boards a con air flight, but since money is never a consideration for the bop, I ended up taking 4 instead of just one.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 PM

Default Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boridiva View Post
my love one was in mcfp springfield but designated to edgefield, south carolina. yesterday got transfered to oklahoma, then atlanta, final destination edgefield.
He has no idea how long the stay in both okl and atl. My question is: who can tell me about holdover in usp atlanta? Will he go to a transit unit or a camp n ATL? How bad is it? Anyone been to edgefield?
Holdover is really bad camp is just really boring
Old 11-10-2018, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boridiva View Post
Hello didn't know how to start new thread but does anyone know holdovers in Atlanta are locked down can they email or use the phone
Old 11-10-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lholderkevinwif View Post
Hello didn't know how to start new thread but does anyone know holdovers in Atlanta are locked down can they email or use the phone
if the prison is on lockdown then they are not able to call or email. My LO has been there as a holdover and was able to call only if the prison wasn't on lockdown. from what I know holdovers normally don't get a lot of time out of their cells.

The Following User Says Thank You to lolo21216 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
My LO was just there for a holdover last month and at that time they were on a 23 hr lockdown when he was there. I wanna say he was there not even a week before he was rolled out to his designation
Old 11-10-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
oh and yes they can email and use the phone
Old 11-11-2018, 12:20 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Holdovers were supposed to be out of the cells for one hour a day to shower and/or phone or email. Many days an announcement was made "short staff, no rec today", so the only time out was to pick up meal trays and return to the cell to eat. The phone/shower lines were long, so many times it was necessary to choose one or the other, not both.

Some very lucky folks only remained at Atlanta overnight, but I was there for 29 days. I was also in a cell with 4 other prisoners that only had two beds, 3 mattresses on the floor.

When anyone complained about the heat, the reply was "you're lucky you aren't on the upper tier, which is much warmer".