Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:48 AM

Exclamation What do I need to do to set my phone up to accept calls (Federal)?

Hello All,

I'm new to all this and I have a loved one who arrived at Canaan a day or so ago. I haven't heard from him yet, just trying to get all the info I can. What do I need to do on my end to set up the phone system? Anything else I can do to be prepared until I hear from him?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2018, 01:57 PM

Hi Ummk
I used VAC: Value Added Communications to set up my account. Phone number is 800 786 8521. Opt 1 then opt 2 to speak to a rep. Once the account is set up dial 800 913 6097 to add money.

Last edited by BearsLadyBear; 12-04-2018 at 02:02 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to BearsLadyBear For This Useful Post:
UmmK (12-10-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 02:06 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,507 Times in 11,929 Posts

Regardless of any outside phone service you use, the bop inmate will still be charged the same amount as I explain here. Services that issue a local phone number to you can reduce the per-minute charge that the bop collects from the inmate from 21 cents to 6 cents, the difference between local and long distance. The problem, which is difficult to resolve since the bop won't tell you which services are "approved" and which are not, is that some services, like Google Voice (for sure), are considered to be "call forwarding" which violates the bop phone policy. Inmates who have received conduct violations for using call forwarding have received punishments that included the loss of all phone use for up to 3 years.

You don't have to do anything on your end unless he plans to call you collect, (25 cents/min with no additional charges) and then the only issue is that your phone has to be able to accept collect calls. Each time he calls, you will hear a pre-recorded message telling you which number you must hit to accept the call (maybe 5, but I forget).

The rest is up to him and his prison counselor. He will provide a list of every phone number he will be allowed to call, which will be approved by the counselor. You can be listed under more than one phone number, (home, cell, work, etc.). Then he has to wait to receive his 9 digit phone pin number in the mail, and finally set up a "voice recognition" message.

Once all of that has happened, he is able to use the phone and his pin # to transfer money from his inmate commissary account to his inmate phone account, ($1.00 on up) to purchase prepaid minutes. Local calls cost 6 cents/min, and all other long distance calls cost 21 cents/min. If his ITS account reaches zero money during the call, it will be hung up.

His monthly phone limit is 300 minutes (400 in Nov. & Dec.) which roll over to the next period on the same day each month; the 5th number in his bop ID, xxxxX-xxx, times 3, plus one, so if his number is 6, he will receive new phone and commissary spending limits on the 19th of each month.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 12-04-2018 at 02:15 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
jaeswife419 (12-08-2018), UmmK (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 01:21 PM

Wow, thank you so much for all this information! I really hate this monthly limit thing, since he likes to call and talk to the kids, and that takes a good chunk of time. but I guess there's no way around that. So the only way to lower the charge per minute is to get a legitimate local number (not a forwarding service), possible thru my cell carrier?

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Regardless of any outside phone service you use, the bop inmate will still be charged the same amount as I explain here. Services that issue a local phone number to you can reduce the per-minute charge that the bop collects from the inmate from 21 cents to 6 cents, the difference between local and long distance. The problem, which is difficult to resolve since the bop won't tell you which services are "approved" and which are not, is that some services, like Google Voice (for sure), are considered to be "call forwarding" which violates the bop phone policy. Inmates who have received conduct violations for using call forwarding have received punishments that included the loss of all phone use for up to 3 years.

You don't have to do anything on your end unless he plans to call you collect, (25 cents/min with no additional charges) and then the only issue is that your phone has to be able to accept collect calls. Each time he calls, you will hear a pre-recorded message telling you which number you must hit to accept the call (maybe 5, but I forget).

The rest is up to him and his prison counselor. He will provide a list of every phone number he will be allowed to call, which will be approved by the counselor. You can be listed under more than one phone number, (home, cell, work, etc.). Then he has to wait to receive his 9 digit phone pin number in the mail, and finally set up a "voice recognition" message.

Once all of that has happened, he is able to use the phone and his pin # to transfer money from his inmate commissary account to his inmate phone account, ($1.00 on up) to purchase prepaid minutes. Local calls cost 6 cents/min, and all other long distance calls cost 21 cents/min. If his ITS account reaches zero money during the call, it will be hung up.

His monthly phone limit is 300 minutes (400 in Nov. & Dec.) which roll over to the next period on the same day each month; the 5th number in his bop ID, xxxxX-xxx, times 3, plus one, so if his number is 6, he will receive new phone and commissary spending limits on the 19th of each month.
The Following User Says Thank You to UmmK For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,507 Times in 11,929 Posts

Yes, having your cellphone assigned a local call to his prison is permitted by the bop. Be sure you get both the correct area code and call prefix (the first three numbers) that are local.

300 minutes is about 10 minutes per day, so we set up a timer at home to warn us. 15 minute calls run out before the month does.