Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:16 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,399 Times in 6,960 Posts
Default Car accidents and headspace

I've been in car accidents before. Mostly as a passenger, only once behind the wheel and I was the only car involved (hit an oil slick and spun out on a bridge, freakin' terrifying). But today I hit someone from behind.

I'm taking full responsibility and though they saw not so much as a scratch to their car and had no physical complaints, it smashed a hole in the driver's side of my bumper and I slammed my knee into the dash. She wasn't even going to take my information but ultimately did, so I don't think I have any claims to fret over but jeez-- these things sure can shake a person up. It really was minor but my head just can't seem to get there. By my shaking hands and headache you'd expect my front end to be gone.

So I'm putting it out there into the Universe-- I am OK. It was exactly what it was, an accident. They were not injured. I am taking responsibility. It will be OK. (but I still wanna cry and melt down!)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (11-22-2018), gvalliant (11-21-2018), Itshardtowait (11-24-2018), nimuay (11-21-2018), Sarianna (11-23-2018), WeepingWillow (11-22-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2018, 07:36 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,302 Times in 7,151 Posts

Well, I'm glad that you're all right. It could have been tons worse, you know. If it's any consolation, it doesn't take much to make me cry lately.

The Following User Says Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
miamac (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 07:37 PM
Missing my better half
Donation Award 

im so glad you are ok and there wasn't too much damage.

one day closer

The Following User Says Thank You to MPsQueen For This Useful Post:
miamac (11-20-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 06:35 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,695 Times in 14,450 Posts

WOW!
What was it about accidents yesterday.

My son JUST LEASED A NEW CAR. On Saturday. Its just beautiful. He's so proud.
He did it all himself....dealt with the dealer, had money saved, got the insurance etc.
The car is so pretty. Its a 2019 VW Jetta.
So I got to be the first passenger on Sat eve (early as it took him almost 5 hrs to deal with all this) then he took his dad out after dinner.
We figured he'd be gone all sunday cruising around. Nope. He did go out but....

He goes to work mon, and when he comes home I ask him how the drive went. He said it was great. His old car the transmission was going out on it. He felt so happy.

then I get to work yesterday and am there about 15 min. I look at my phone and have 8 messages.
While son was on his way to work, he picked up a coworker. They are coming to a stop (this city is pretty rural)
And a DEER HITS THE FRONT QUARTER PANEL OF HIS NEW CAR.

Thank God no one was hurt. Thank god the air bags didnt go off. Thank God the damage isnt too bad.

He was so pissed off. I was so sad.
It will get handled. But really??? Karma????Why you send that deer out to hit my kids new car?
Oh, the deer ran off. Hit and run.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
choclgs (11-22-2018), gvalliant (11-21-2018), Itshardtowait (11-24-2018), miamac (11-21-2018), nimuay (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 10:36 AM

Thanked 1,275 Times in 527 Posts

Glad it was only a bump. Doesn't matter, car accidents are stressful no matter how big or small.

I hit a deer also. Long ago. On my motorcycle. On freeway going through mountains in Utah. With my wife on the back. Big scene, ambulances, cops, people stopped to help. At the ER, my wife wouldn't let them X-ray her because, she announced, she was pregnant. That's how I found out I was going to have a kid. Hearing that was the most stressful part of the motorcycle crash to me.

My last accident in 2011 on a business trip in CT. I was passenger in this 50 mph head on crash which went through my side of the car. Someone took photos while I was in ER busy getting my brains unscrambled. I was in a brand new Subaru. I was tempted to send Subaru corporate pictures of the car later, it did a remarkable job protecting me.
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: pdf 2011.pdf
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
choclgs (11-22-2018), LifeTraveler (11-22-2018), miamac (11-21-2018), nimuay (11-21-2018), sidewalker (11-22-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 10:41 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,825 Times in 1,645 Posts
Default Car accidents and headspace

I'm glad you're okay but it's always a pain in the butt especially with all the insurance stuff and repairs and stuff.

On the bright side: yesterday all over the German news was this boy who had just gotten - 49 min ago - his drivers license and he was caught for speeding and his license was suspended...

https://www.unilad.co.uk/life/driver...sing-his-test/

Last edited by MizzyMuffling; 11-21-2018 at 11:28 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MizzyMuffling For This Useful Post:
choclgs (11-22-2018), miamac (11-21-2018), nimuay (11-21-2018), sidewalker (11-22-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 11:37 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Why you send that deer out to hit my kids new car?
Oh, the deer ran off. Hit and run.
Oh, deer! (sorry, couldn't help it) That sucks and it does seem to happen to new cars-- like there is a scent that destruction is attracted to. I'm glad he was OK physically. Hitting a deer, or getting hit by one, can be lethal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
Glad it was only a bump. Doesn't matter, car accidents are stressful no matter how big or small. [...]
I was tempted to send Subaru corporate pictures of the car later, it did a remarkable job protecting me.
That's true. It's never planned so I guess feeling like you had the rug pulled out from under you is normal. I feel better today, I am praying they are still feeling fine. And mostly I'm glad they didn't overreact and scream at me. They had every right to be upset, so the fact that they handled it so well was a blessing.

I also have a picture of my Volvo (not new, an '80) from the bridge spin-out. I call it the Photo That Explains How I can Still Walk. You can see the crumple zone on that heavy hunk of car ripple from nose to windshield. They closed the bridge and bystanders couldn't get me out of the car, you could see the look on their face as if they were scared to see my lower half. That's something I'll never forget. Thank goodness for safety studies, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzyMuffling View Post
On the bright side: yesterday all over the German news was this boy who had just gotten - 45 min ago - his drivers license and he was caught for speeding (95 km/h in a 50 km/h area) and his license was suspended...
I saw that! My German friend told me that obtaining your license there is harder than in the States. She's also horrified that anyone with a license can rent a Uhaul here. "It's a killing machine! You need training!" She also takes the bus a lot. Lol

Thank you all for your words and stories. It was just a low moment and feeling like an anxious idiot. They had no turning signal and they were slow rolling and not stopped so I think the combination of all of it created and mitigated the damage. I was able to go out and lie on the ground and rearrange the pieces of my bumper so it's semi-presentable. I also watched a few YouTube videos on bondo application. I'm not really in the position to buy a new one. Maybe this is God's way of teaching me autobody repair.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (11-22-2018), MizzyMuffling (11-21-2018), sidewalker (11-22-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 12:48 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,474 Times in 7,511 Posts

Rather a small car accident than a small motorcycle accident

Was driving down to swim team practice yesterday. It was a bit slick out, but not bad. I should say, we’ve had some 6” of snow or so up where I live, and it was freezing crap coming down, trying to decide if it was going to be snow or rain down in the valley.

Heading on the last stretch into town, and there’s a row of brake lights on in front of me - highly unusual in my parcels populated area. Checked the time and it wasn’t school letting out or people getting out of work. The line of traffic in both directions is easing along, and the guy behind me pulls to the shoulder, jumps out, and runs. I look to where he’s running and there is a car smack into a guard rail, front end totally caved in. As I pass, I see another car even worse, down in the ditch, a tree up where its engine should be. Cars of witnesses are parked, no cops. I look around to see where the blue and red lights are, but nothing. I get a few miles down the road and see blue lights at the accident in my rear view mirror. Two cops come from the other direction. Shortly, 3 ambulances pass.

Crap, somebody had a really bad night. I hope everybody is okay.

Also thankful for the guy in the truck, running to the scene. Hope he was a first responder and not somebody who recognized the car.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
choclgs (11-22-2018), gvalliant (11-22-2018), miamac (11-21-2018), sidewalker (11-22-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 12:54 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Rather a small car accident than a small motorcycle accident
Absolutely. I briefly considered a Vespa (not quite the same thing, I realize) and then thought of all the exposed skin and decided I had enough health problems without poking the tiger.

I get really emotional passing bad wrecks as you described. I guess I just have a sensitive spot for accidents. There's a universal fear aspect, I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (11-22-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 12:56 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 9,638 Times in 4,050 Posts

Glad you are ok,accidents can really shake you up but just be glad no injuries that is the main thing.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
miamac (11-21-2018), sidewalker (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 07:06 AM

Donation Award 

**Also thankful for the guy in the truck, running to the scene. Hope he was a first responder and not somebody who recognized the car.***

Oh boy, one can hope.
We have been very lucky in regards to accidents (knock wood!)
I should not complain.

I just felt so disappointed for my kid who has really come around and is doing well.

Deer are really crazy thats for sure. And they can do alot of damage to vehicles and people when they collide. Son is lucky.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 01:15 PM

On July 4th 2017, I bought a car from a settlement I had gotten.i was excited that I finally got a reliable car to go travel and do things I've been wanting to do. Well on September 5th exactly 2 months, one day after getting my beautiful car, I'm on the freeway a lot of traffic stop and go. Finally it lets up just a lil when it slowed down and Bam, I'm hit in the back end, everything went so very slowly, it seemed like time stood still and I could hear me saying not my car, noooo and next I thing I know I'm going across 4 Lanes of traffic, someone was screaming in the car, I'm the only one in it mind you. I felt like I was fighting to control the car finally it stopped kind of in the emergency Lane. I don't have a clue how I wasn't hit again by big rigs, other cars. I was so confused and crying, I looked over across the freeway there's a lil Honda Civic with some kid standing outside in the carpool lane, his front end looked like an accordian. Traffic was very slowly going by then this kid runs across the damn freeway to see if I'm ok wth??? Finally the cops come and I'm ok but can my daughter's and off to the hospital. The kid went too. Turns out he had just turned 17 two months before in fact on the 5th of July. He admitted it was his fault. His car slid up under mine and that's how I was pushed out into traffic and yes he was going about 80mph. Unbelievably my car was able to be fixed amen I had back and neck injuries. I'm pretty sure his parents weren't too happy about it. I still drive by there but don't drive in the fast lane near the carpool lane anymore. I already have anxiety and now on the freeway when traffic stops I'm looking behind me more than in front. What is weird was back in March of 2017 I was in an accident with my daughter in her car at the Walmart parking lot. She had a lil car and a very big SUV t boned us on my daughter's side. I avoid the freeway if I can and as far as Walmart, well I manage that as well. Lol

Last edited by Francis213; 11-22-2018 at 01:31 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis213 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 12:43 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis213 View Post
I'm hit in the back end, everything went so very slowly, it seemed like time stood still and I could hear me saying not my car, noooo and next I thing I know I'm going across 4 Lanes of traffic, someone was screaming in the car, I'm the only one in it mind you.
Isn't that strange how that happens? That's how I describe my bridge spin-out, too. It was like everything around me went silent and as soon as I realized it was beyond my control, I let go of the wheel. My car bounced between the concrete and metal railings for a good 50 yards ending up facing the wrong direction. It felt like I was watching it from somewhere else and when I "woke up", my head was on the steering wheel and there were people trying to open my door. I've never experienced anything like it and God willing I never will again. This fender-bender was jarring but nothing like that! I was nervous going up that bridge for years.
sidewalker (11-23-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 08:59 PM

Thanked 2,728 Times in 1,286 Posts

My son asked me last night if I ever got I to an accident. I said I was physically hit at 21, but car accident at 20.

Man 18 years is a good run.... until today.

No damage to speak of. My back is killing me though.

We both backed into each other. She wanted to go home in a rush. I was calling the ER to get the status about my mom on bluetooth, but my head was elsewhere.

I want a do over today. Lol

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (12-06-2018), miamac (12-05-2018), sidewalker (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 06:29 AM

Donation Award 

Ive been in a few minor accidents. Mostly as a passenger.
The worst one was when I was about 12 or 13 yo.
We were coming home from me getting a new pair of shoes. (omg I loved those shoes.....dark brown suede construction style boots.....lol)
I'd been really nervous for some reason that we would get in a wreck on the way down. Just one of those *feelings*
So we are almost home. At that time the freeway went thru town. Up ahead are all these lights. Emergency vehicles....cop cars...... cop directing traffic.
We get to the guy directing traffic...we stop (per instruction)
Guy in back of us......slows down
Guy in back of him keeps going. Not sure how fast but our car ended up totaled.

Ug. I freaked out. so scared. I think I yelled......Mama! (reminder..im like 12 or 13)
I was not hurt or at least didnt feel it.
But I tell ya what!? My neck was soooooooooooooo sore the next morning. I think I got to get out of school the next day.

Glad Ive not been in any bad wrecks especially now Im old. lol.
If my 12 to 13 yo body reacted like that I can imagine how my old ass body would feel now!

Feel better oneday!

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (12-06-2018), miamac (12-05-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 09:01 AM

Thanked 2,728 Times in 1,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Ive been in a few minor accidents. Mostly as a passenger.
The worst one was when I was about 12 or 13 yo.
We were coming home from me getting a new pair of shoes. (omg I loved those shoes.....dark brown suede construction style boots.....lol)
I'd been really nervous for some reason that we would get in a wreck on the way down. Just one of those *feelings*
So we are almost home. At that time the freeway went thru town. Up ahead are all these lights. Emergency vehicles....cop cars...... cop directing traffic.
We get to the guy directing traffic...we stop (per instruction)
Guy in back of us......slows down
Guy in back of him keeps going. Not sure how fast but our car ended up totaled.

Ug. I freaked out. so scared. I think I yelled......Mama! (reminder..im like 12 or 13)
I was not hurt or at least didnt feel it.
But I tell ya what!? My neck was soooooooooooooo sore the next morning. I think I got to get out of school the next day.

Glad Ive not been in any bad wrecks especially now Im old. lol.
If my 12 to 13 yo body reacted like that I can imagine how my old ass body would feel now!

Feel better oneday!
Thank you. There was no physical damage, but we hit each other hard. Both surprised there was no damage. She decided she wanted to just go home. I was fine. Drove home. Went to get out of the car and my back started. Maybe adrenaline was going first. We hit back to back. Like bumper cars.

I sprained my back years ago, so may be it flared it up. I took the day off. I look like a 90 year old lady walking around today, but it will get better.

Now waiting in info from my mom. I hid it at the ER when I went to see her because I didn't want her to panic. My kids told me to keep quiet and they'll take care of me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
miamac (12-05-2018), sidewalker (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 07:02 AM

Donation Award 

Ice and anti inflamatory meds.
Back pain sucks.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
miamac (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Sorry to hear this, oneday! The two other accidents I was in was as a passenger and they both caused whiplash. Oh my gosh...you think you're fine (one of them I walked two miles home afterward because I was 'fine') and then it starts to seep in as the adrenaline wears off. To this day I have anxiety about tipping my head backward because I'm afraid it will trigger that pain again.

Nothing has come of this fender-bender. My insurance guy would have contacted me already so I'll let that go. I decided that the damage to my bumper will just stay that way. It's not structurally unsound, just unsightly. I looked at buying a new one-- $90 on Amazon for one primed, but not color matched, $250 to match the color of my car. I could probably find one at a wrecking yard but to be honest, I don't have that level of ambition. My solution was to buy a $70 pleather nose bra instead. Covers the large crack/hole and protects the rest of my hood from road damage. Good enough for me.
gvalliant (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 10:55 AM

Comments about adrenaline are interesting. When you settle down after an accident and adrenaline goes away things hurt. Adrenaline protects from that initial pain. I think it is also why time changes, everything seems so slow. In the instant of the accident your system loads with adrenaline and your mind goes a thousand miles an hour.

About a week after my last accident years ago, I was talking to a friend who was a retired doctor. Early in his career he worked an ambulance in the days before air bags. He shared something I did not understand about importance of seat belt and air bag and why I needed both to survive that accident. He said the seat belt does most of the work. Without that I would have had no chance. When they'd arrive at a scene of a head on crash, the seat belt had done it's job. But the victim's neck was often broke and they were dead. He said a big benefit of the air bag is after the seat belt stops the body, the air bag then stops and protects the victim's head which is still maybe moving at 30 or 40 mph.

He added if you don't wear your seat belt, that air bag ain't gonna help you.

The final problem. That big mushy thing inside your head called a brain is still going 30 mph. It splats against that hard thing inside your head called a skull. Than bounces back and forth. That's my medical description of a concussion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
miamac (12-06-2018), sidewalker (12-08-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
[...]When they'd arrive at a scene of a head on crash, the seat belt had done it's job. But the victim's neck was often broke and they were dead. [...]
He added if you don't wear your seat belt, that air bag ain't gonna help you.
Those air bags are nasty for doing their own damage. My short stint working in the ER brought in more facial injuries (broken noses, orbital sockets, ruptured eyeballs, busted lips) from car accidents than I can remember. Recently I was at the drugstore and a young girl was in the wound care aisle looking, but not finding, something for the large burn on her left leg. I asked if I could help her, she explained she needed Silvasorb-- awesome stuff for your home first aid kit, but don't count on Walgreen's carrying it. The burn looked like that from a motorcycle exhaust, but it was actually from the side airbag in her car.

I guess the alternative isn't better, but most people don't realize how much force you'll be hitting that "air" bag with and that it carries a wicked punch back.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Those air bags are nasty for doing their own damage. My short stint working in the ER brought in more facial injuries
I bet they are nasty. Whatever the sensors and computers do so those airbags only fire when necessary is impressive. You and OneDay had small accidents during this thread. Based on your comment, good thing the two of you didn't have an airbag add to your misery.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (12-08-2018)