Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Indiana.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:00 AM

Default What is the SM Unit?

Hi everyone

I have a friend whose loved one is in Indiana State Prison.

He was recently moved to the SM unit and has no phone or tablet access, as well as no access to the packages hes been sent.

The prison isnt giving her any information and shes freaking out. They wont tell her how long hell be there, what it is, or anything.

Can anyone give us insight? Do you know what this is?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2020, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,939 Times in 3,866 Posts

Sounds like it's a segregation unit, usually used when someone has broken a big rule.

It's the same as solitary confinement, if my guess as to the definition is correct. I can't speak specifically for Indiana, but in Oregon, they can be held there, with no mail, no phone, no personal possessions for up to 30 days while an investigation is conducted.

I'm very sorry your friend is going through this. The best that can be said about "the hole" is that he's safe.