Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:24 PM
Donation Award 

Default Re-entry/Drug Court for one on Supervised Probation in State of Maryland?

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a Re-entry/Drug Court for those on Supervised Probation in the State of Maryland? If so how does it work?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2017, 12:29 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,862 Times in 1,265 Posts

Federal Supervised Release doesn't have either. Drug Court would be different than re-entry. If you are asking about a federal inmate, neither would apply.

If you are asking about a state case, you want to go to the State of Maryland for information on the state programs.

If your loved one went through RDAP, there is unique drug treatment they will have to go through, especially for the first 6 months. I think it varies from region to region, but it could include extra AA/NA groups, or individual or group therapy. It all depends on what his Supervisor decides to implement.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:15 PM

USPO / USAO has no drug court program. They do have a Pretrial Diversion program similar to diversion programs in state courts but it is not drug specific. I can provide information about that program is you wish, I am currently part of it.

Last edited by de8er; 03-25-2017 at 08:17 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to de8er For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 03:00 PM
Donation Award 

Have you heard of this program?

Reentry Plan for the Eastern District North Carolina (EDNC)

The United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of North Carolina (EDNC) has developed a Reentry Plan to assist in crime prevention and reentry efforts throughout our District. The segments of our four-part plan are as follows:

1. Drug and Reentry Courts

The EDNC staffs two drug and reentry courts: H.O.P.E. (Helping Offenders Pursue Excellence) Court and S.T.A.R. (Striving To Achieve Recovery) Program. Both courts consist of a collaborative effort between the Eastern District of North Carolina’s U.S. District Court, U.S. Probation Office, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Federal Public Defender’s Office, and other agencies to provide rehabilitative services to individuals with substance abuse issues who are involved in the federal criminal justice system. Participants are provided with a system of support through a range of incentives and sanctions aimed at promoting and targeting long-term, sustainable, positive offender change. The H.O.P.E. Court based in Raleigh, North Carolina, and the S.T.A.R. Program based in Greenville, North Carolina, both hold regularly scheduled court hearings to assess the progression of its participants. Participants are required to complete four different phases of the programs in order to graduate successfully. The focus of the programs is to enable participants to conquer their substance abuse issues and provide them with the tools that they will need to be successful on supervision and afterwards, particularly educational and vocational support. Both the H.O.P.E. Court and the S.T.A. R. Program accept participants post-conviction, where an individual is on probation or supervised release after having been sentenced for a federal offense. Additionally, the S.T.A.R. Program accepts approved participants pretrial, where there has been no adjudication of guilt, and presentence, where the individual has been adjudicated guilty, but has not yet been sentenced. Upon successful completion of the voluntary programs, participants can earn a reduction in time from their supervised release sentence.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:09 PM

No I had not, but they sound good. Both are different than the USAO PTD program, though. Including the STAR pretrial program. That sounds the most like a drug court to me.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:28 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,862 Times in 1,265 Posts

Good information, Bad Charlotte. I would like to know your source for the info.

The Federal Court in Seattle Washington has a drug court and I have heard they are others.

From your question, I thought you were asking about a post-incarceration program. Perhaps i misunderstood. The Drug Court is a separate court and the participation is part of the sentence, and i'm assuming ReEntry is the same way. It may be that Maryland has one of these programs (although I think it is done in specific cities, not the entire Federal Court System for the state). Perhaps the original source on NC is from a list about all Drug Courts in the country.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:49 PM
Donation Award 

My brother is currently at Butner FCI. Recently a Federal Prosecutor visited and explained about the program. It seems to be a new program and I was able to find the information on the justice department's web site. However, I can only find it offered in NC and am trying to find out if it is also available in Maryland. I will keep searching and if I can find anything out I will post it as the program offers a reduction in the term of supervised released.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadCharlotte For This Useful Post:
bellisq (04-06-2017), fbopnomore (03-30-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 08:16 AM
Don't try, DO!

Several individual courts have begun various types of re-entry courts or drug court type things in the federal system.

Most of the research though is showing they are no more effective in reducing recidivism than standard supervision.
BadCharlotte (04-22-2017)