Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Arizona

Old 02-08-2006, 06:18 AM

Question Info on Robinson

Any info on Robinson, my son is being transfered as I write this.
Thanks
mom in Illinois
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2006, 06:35 AM
Account Closed

There is some info on Robinson under the Illinois Prison Profiles. It's on page 2 or 3 I think.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Account Closed

Mom - your son couldn't have been sent to a better prison. It is tops as far as I'm concerned. Even folks within the DOC call Robinson it's best kept little secret. It's about 180 miles straight south down Route 1. The 57-interstate goes there. It's seven miles from the Indiana border. Robinson is a series of one-story dorm buildings in a circle with a common courtyard. If not for the wiring around the perimeter it looks like an office park. Next door to the prison is a community college which totally funds college courses for Robinson inmates. Vocational certificates are available for I/M taking various courses. The college comes to the prison. There are even cap and gown graduations. Living is within dormatories, I think it's ten to a room. Only non-violent offenders are sent to Robinson and there is NO trouble at Robinson. It's like a summer camp. I/M move around freely in selected areas going to work, visiting, school, counseling, etc. Visiting is eight visits per month for four hours each visit. The visiting room is comfortable with great vending machines, fresh salads, fruit bowls, pizza, White Castles, just about anything you could want. They are one of the few prisons that takes pictures for $3. You buy a coupon on your vending card in the food machine and an I/M will take your picure with your I/M. Mail is delivered promptly - not a bit of trouble there. The food is excellent - they even have a salad bar at the chow hall. He can eat all he wants. Most I/M must work their first 30-days in the kitchen. Then they can get into school or some other programs or take a job. They have an outside running track, handball courts, baseball diamonds, weight equipment...it's like summer camp. I think Robinson is used for I/M that have very mild non-violent crimes...like driving charges, blue-collar crime and minor sex offenses. It's a piece of cake. All the staff requires is respect...and keep his shirt tucked in when outside...The staff was wonderful to myself and my I/M. We had relaxing, fun visits. He could go to the vending machines there and find his own food and microwave it. Now this is from 2004 but I don't think things have changed much there...except the warden is now a former county sheriff. I've heard good things about him. You can bring five books each visit and there is not limit through the mail. Money orders are the same as elsewhere in the state - $50 increments. He may have a TV, stereo, electric razor, lamp, clock, watch, a lot of items are available in commissary. He may purchase a hot pot and cook in his dorm. What else can I tell you? I'll tell you this Mom, you can go ahead and exhale because he couldn't be safer or happier than at Robinson. And the place is clean and new...he'll do well there. Keep your chin up - you should be relieved...

Last edited by dazzler; 02-08-2006 at 09:15 AM..
Old 02-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Account Closed

More Mom - I see in another thread you're concerned about phone calls...unless it's been changed he has liberal use of a phone....from morning until evening. He'll be allowed calls immediately from there - no waiting period as long as you've got an account set up with consolidated and he submits his phone list immediately. Make sure to bring your driver's license and SS card to your visits. You'll be required to fill out a visitor's info form at the first visit. The CO/s were so sweet they handed me a box of kleenex from under the counter at signout time....LOL
Old 02-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Banned

I didn't know about the college classes! Pity that C has had to wait 4 years to get his GED which is required before college classes. He thinks he'll take the test in Feb for GED.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:06 PM

Default Finally.....

Dazzler - thank you so much for the info on Robinson - my nephew is there now. He deserves a break in life as does the rest of his family and your description will definitely make a really sad and tense family rest just a little bit easier. This site has made my day!! Again, thanks for all of the info!
Old 02-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Account Closed

You're welcome. I hope I've been able to put your's and your family's minds at ease. It really is a decent prison with good staff, it's extremely safe, no assaults at all, and has positive programs available to keep the IM's busy. And it's in a beautiful area...big grassy areas around and within the prison...flowers up the walks...very cheerful as far as prisons go. Of course they have rules but all in all it's pretty easy time. FYI - since only prisoners with short time to go are sent to Robinson most inmates are eligible for work release within in short period of time....good luck to him.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:31 AM

Thanks Dazzler for all the info. That was the best birthday gift I could have got yest. Robinson is about 5 hours away from us, but we will get there often.
mom in Illinois
Old 03-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Banned

I see we need to retitle this thread and put a sticky on it as there isn't a profile above for Robinson! Patty?
I just visited there for three days. there is a notice on the vending machines that inmates cannot use them. there is smoking on one half side of the visiting room. There are some games you can play. The vending machines were horribly expensive! the 20 oz bottles of pop said $1.50 and it took out $2 on my debit card twice! I went and complained and they said he'd get credited what I was overcharged. candy bars were 85 cents and little bags of chips were generally 90 cents. A few were still 60 cents. I really had a problem with the prices. You see the officer's vending machine on the way and the same size bottle is $1.15.
there is a van service that takes visitors there. I asked about getting info so I could share it. She said that the guys have that info on the units. I am sure it is posted somewhere, so ask whoever you are visiting to get all the details for you.
The staff were friendly and I had 14 hours of visits over 3 days. I could choose one day for an extended visit they said, and I got 6 hours that day. When I called in advance about extended visits, they said, just request it when you come and are signing in.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:00 AM

any info on shawnee i have not seen my husband in 9 months.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:02 PM
DOING MY HOMEWORK

Yes I Have Been In Robinson And It Is The Best State Prison In Illinois.. He Couldn't Be In A Better Prison.. The Movement Is Free(no Line Movement), The Church Services, Gym, Yard Are All Awesome. Theres Air Conditioning... The Whole Environment Is As Sirene As Can Be Exspected. Its Like A Colege Campus With A Razor Wire Fence Around It.... Hope This Helps
D2
ROMANS 8:28- ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER FOR THE GOOD OF THOSE WHO LOVE GOD.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:51 PM
waiting patiently

They have changed the rules at Robinson. It's all line movement now. When I started visiting in March, it was free movement, but that changed in May. A/C only in the visiting room, but they do have ice machines in all housing units (like that helps when it's 100 degrees and humid). They do have college classes & a great tutoring program where inmates are tutored by other inmates for their GED. The college is next to the prison & they offer a lot of different classes for the guys. They have great church services, gym, yard. They also have a lot of work opportunities for the guys who want or choose to work. They can use the phones from about 8am to 9:15pm, when they shut them down. The guards I have interacted with have all been great & helpful, but I know that not all of them are. It's a dorm type housing setting with about 100 guys to a unit.

Not sure if this will be helpful. If you need more info, let me know. If I don't know, I'll find out.

I love you, Nuts!
Old 08-25-2006, 11:24 PM
DOING MY HOMEWORK

sueballer,
shawnee is not the greatest place to be.. (not saying any prison is). it's gang infested , locked down tight .. no need to worry though. it's not the violent place it used to be.. he will be alright there . the time just goes by slower there than most.. right around march of 05' the prison went from 18/6 to 22/2.. i.e.- 22 in cell and 2 out.. there is an industry and school there to pass time but it takes a little patience to get in..
most illinois prisons are adopting tighter lock down hours. so shawnee isn't the only one.. even the more "doable" prisons are becoming more and more like PRISON every year... hope this helps
D2
ROMANS 8:28- ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER FOR THE GOOD OF THOSE WHO LOVE GOD.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Time needs to hurry up

Default Question...

YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING!!! Max was just transported to Robinson today, so I was really worried about where he was being put.

However I have a question...He was just recently at Statville for recieving, and I sent him a letter today because he said he was going to be there for a few more days...So I am wondering...When the prison recieves his letter, will they forward it to Robinson???

Baby I will wait for you...