Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss New Jersey prison & jail visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:45 PM

Default Need info on Tablet & TV; Can he call my cell phone?

My son will be transferred from county jail and after assignment will be placed in prison somewhere in NJ.. I've been reading about JPay and services it provides..

Are there tablet devices we can buy for him? Is it only in certain facilities? What are they able to do with them. Email? I'm sure they have restrictions. Price?

They can also purchase a tv I'm told.

I also read on this forum they can't call cell phone numbers? Is that true? Why not?

I appreciate any replies

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2019, 05:30 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,826 Times in 15,571 Posts

I can't answer about Tablets or TVs in New Jersey prisons, but I do want to welcome you to PTO

NJ DOC forbids call to cell phones for security reasons (according to their webpage):
Quote:
For security reasons, calls to cellular, business or non-traditional telephone service numbers are not permitted.
For more info about inmate calling from a NJ facility, see the following link:
https://www.state.nj.us/corrections/...ystemInfo.html

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Nj mother (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 08:42 PM

Hi there, my husband is in NJ prison and the tablet was about $200. I believe he can have music and download jpay messages on there. He calls out house phone but I put the call forwarding on so I don't miss any calls while I'm out.
The Following User Says Thank You to CBethea For This Useful Post:
Nj mother (01-22-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBethea View Post
Hi there, my husband is in NJ prison and the tablet was about $200. I believe he can have music and download jpay messages on there. He calls out house phone but I put the call forwarding on so I don't miss any calls while I'm out.

And call forwarding is not allowed by most facilities and phone providers. Once it is discovered, and yes, it will be discovered, phone privileges will be suspended. Sorry, but that's the way it is.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass4221 View Post
And call forwarding is not allowed by most facilities and phone providers. Once it is discovered, and yes, it will be discovered, phone privileges will be suspended. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Hi Sass, where my husband is located, cell phone calls are allowed. The calls are just cheaper through our home phone to go through GTL which is why we use that method but yes of course if it's not allowed then it is not worth the risk.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:02 PM

I heard that you can call cell phones now.. is that true?
Old 02-02-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abjnj123 View Post
I heard that you can call cell phones now.. is that true?

It might depend on the facility, when my boyfriend was in a NJ jail the GTL account was set up thru my cell phone and he was able to call me !
Old 02-02-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torieoo View Post
It might depend on the facility, when my boyfriend was in a NJ jail the GTL account was set up thru my cell phone and he was able to call me !
Yeah me too. But jail is different with it then the prisons. My bf just got to craf but guys in jail were telling him that prisons can call cells now and I called GTL the other day and they said the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Abjnj123 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 10:38 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Yeah me too. But jail is different with it then the prisons. My bf just got to craf but guys in jail were telling him that prisons can call cells now and I called GTL the other day and they said the same.
The "guys in jail" are incorrect; GTL is not the NJ DOC....whenever there is a question about DOC policy / procedure, please go by NJ DOC rules. Not the "guys in jail," not GTL's....the NJ DOC policies / procedures are the one that count

Still on NJ DOC website:
Quote:
For security reasons, calls to cellular, business or non-traditional telephone service numbers are not permitted.
https://www.state.nj.us/corrections/...ystemInfo.html

patchouli, PTO Admin

GingerM (02-04-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 07:07 PM

On the doc site, in the amended bill from 10/2018 it states that itís alllwing calls to cell phones. Iím actually just going to call the doc tomorrow and ask about this amendment
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abjnj123 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (02-04-2019), patchouli (02-03-2019), torieoo (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 10:54 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Do you know the Bill #? The only thing I can find is

A332 Authorizes Commissioner of Corrections to establish program to operate managed cellular access system within State correctional facilities.
Law and Public Safety

As far as I can tell, its still in Committee (?) However, as I understand it, this is for "within" facilities, not from inside to outside the facility so will have no bearing on NJ DOC policy concerning inmate calls to cell phones.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 02-04-2019, 08:51 AM

Bill 10A:18

I just called department of corrections directly, they told me that it is in the process so some facilities can some are going to very soon. He said because they are just pipelining it, thatís why I received conflicting reports from GTL.

As far as I can tell, its still in Committee (?) However, as I understand it, this is for "within" facilities, not from inside to outside the facility so will have no bearing on NJ DOC policy concerning inmate calls to cell phones.
[/quote]
The Following User Says Thank You to Abjnj123 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 12:10 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Quote:
Bill 10A:18

I just called department of corrections directly, they told me that it is in the process so some facilities can some are going to very soon. He said because they are just pipelining it, that’s why I received conflicting reports from GTL.

[/quote]

Please post a link to the Legislature page for Bill 10A:18.

Under Bills for 2018 - 2019, there is Bill A10:

A10/3740/3437 AcsAa (ACS/2R)
Revises rquirements to authorize and access medical cannabis; establishes requirements for institutional caregivers; revises permit requirements for alternative treatment centers; and establishes additional legal protections for patients and caregivers.
2nd Reading in the Assembly

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bills/BillView.asp

So far, I stand by my post that says that as long as NJ DOC policies state that inmates can not call cell phones, I would not be accepting calls on a cell phone. When NJ DOC announces a new policy in writing, fine. Until then, no calls on cell phones.

patchouli, PTO Admin

GingerM (02-05-2019)