Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:05 PM
LYIDFIW

Default USP Florence-High to be changed to All SMU

Guards at the USP in Florence, Colorado let inmates know that all of the building with the exception of one block will be changing to all Special Management Units (SMU). All inmates with 100 or 200 series offenses (which are offenses commited while in prison) within the last 2 years will be sent elsewhere. So the majority of inmates have been redesignated, packed out and are awaiting to be moved. The one block that won't be SMU will remain for those in Florence with less than 18 months. I will keep you posted with more information as I get some.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kayla28 For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (04-21-2012), Downdilly (04-21-2012), Drina1981 (04-10-2018), Zelda50 (04-21-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2012, 03:26 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla28 View Post
Guards at the USP in Florence, Colorado let inmates know that all of the building with the exception of one block will be changing to all Special Management Units (SMU). All inmates with 100 or 200 series offenses (which are offenses commited while in prison) within the last 2 years will be sent elsewhere. So the majority of inmates have been redesignated, packed out and are awaiting to be moved. The one block that won't be SMU will remain for those in Florence with less than 18 months. I will keep you posted with more information as I get some.
I really appreciate hearing this since I have a loved one at this USP. I've tried calling but he counselor hasn't returned my call (yet). Again, thank you!
Old 04-21-2012, 03:46 PM
LYIDFIW

The counselors there are the worst I have ever seen. Good luck. Call all the time. The squeaky tire gets lubed. Goodluck.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:09 PM

My tax dollars are going to pay for ad seg units. We do not need more ad seg units there. They need to be reduced instead of being increased.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to crisco For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (04-21-2012), Sheryl P. (04-22-2012), SusanWayward (05-09-2012), WorriedSis7 (05-10-2012), Zelda50 (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 07:39 PM
LYIDFIW

Smu isnt the hole. It is a step down.program for.high security inmates. It is mostly full of gang members and is only at five usp's. The special management unit is similar to the hole sadly. It is a 23 hour lock down for inmates they deem unmanageable or too violent. It is.one step before the ADX. They have the opportunity to work their way back to general population but it is a long process. I am totally appauled by it but we have no say. The BOP does what they please and have no regard for human rights and dignity.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,368 Times in 4,633 Posts

It just amazes me that the feds keep adding more segregation and lockdown units when many other prison systems are looking at how these segregations units don't work and are beginning to eliminate them. The feds are so arrogant and never use evidence-based practices and policies. Because the BOP has NO OVERSIGHT by anyone who gives a damn.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (04-21-2012), Bryson's Gir (06-14-2012), fbopnomore (04-22-2012), GulagFighter (04-14-2018), MiniMoose (04-22-2012), murgy37 (04-23-2012), Sheryl P. (04-22-2012), SusanWayward (05-09-2012), WorriedSis7 (04-21-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 05:47 AM
LYIDFIW

Well I guess the smu program has been proven to work. Most members.come out and do not get into anymore large scale trouble like before. So maybe it is a.good thing. We aren't on the inside so who knows? I agree that the BoP is a large wad of idiots. The guys in usp florence were just on tv because a camera crew shot video of the yard having cages and men being in them. My loved one is there and it is a horrid place. I know that USP Florence ia considered the alcatraz of the rockies and is the worst and highest security prison other than the one supermax which is next door!
Old 04-22-2012, 06:48 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,947 Times in 2,166 Posts

We know shu units don't work in the long term (though they may serve as a good deterent short term) because of studies done that once the numbers of inmates incarcerated in them is reduced,the violence levels go down.
Read some of the information availble on "Solitary Watch".
The shu units are also much more expensive to operate and so cutting them way back saves tax payer money.Reducing shu/Ad Seg. incarceration time also tends to lower the number of released inmates who re-offend once they return to society.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:54 AM
LYIDFIW

I know the shu and smu units suck. Tax payer money should go to counseling and rehabilitation to lower.recidivism rates but lets be honest, there are to many bad inmates that outweigh the good. For every one inmate who wants to change his life, there are a hundred who don't care about changing and want to.get out and get back to commiting crime. Corrections officers.don't give a damn after their first few months so you can't rely on them to support it. Shu makes their job safer to have inmates separated. Federal inmates place a large emphasis on race and gangs. It is the truth. So the smu separates gang leaders and has a majority of them renounce their gang and sign a contract. It is a win and a lose.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Donation Award 

There is no due process for deciding who goes into them. It is difficult to get out of them. Studies have shown that the isolation is bad for the mental health of those in them. It's crazy what goes on in there. The main cause, I believe, is the incredibly lengthy sentences the feds are handing out. Families are destroyed and people inside lose hope - and have nothing to lose by breaking the rules. And they'll break the rules in the SMU's also. As long as we have the system we have, there will always be gangs in prisons - and people vying for power and position and money. And if the feds keep going like they are, every prison will be an SMU eventually. And then those who advocated for them will be sad their loved one is in one. My opinion.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (04-22-2012), fbopnomore (04-22-2012), FrustratedGirl (05-15-2012), MiniMoose (04-22-2012), murgy37 (04-23-2012), SusanWayward (05-09-2012), WorriedSis7 (05-10-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 08:38 PM

I agree with Zelda. My husband is in a medium and they are letting all the guys out of the shu. They will keep inmates in the shu for their own protection against rival gangs in the institution. This has caused the whole prison to go on lockdown within a matter of minutes I'm assuming. This is only going to lead to the inmates being locked down 24-7. They believe that this will force inmates to get along I'm assuming. That will not happen though. Like Zelda sad there will always be gangs. Expecially when we have individuals sentenced to lengthy sentences its inevitable.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:43 PM

By the way I understand that they do not want to keep inmates in the shu. It is cruel and unusual punishment. It has to been proven to do detrimental damage to a person but there has to be other ways.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 AM
LYIDFIW

The SMU is not the SHU. Smu is special management unit. Shu is special housing unit. The smu is for inmates.who have had repeated offenses while incarcerated, who are officiating gang violence, who are the worse of the worse. It is their chance to not go to the adx for bad behavior. The smu is also different from the shu inregards to being a step down type program. Inmates.spend 9 months in there roughly and have chances to interact with inmates. The shu is a 23 hour a day lock down. The smu is different. My guy explained it as a program not a punishment. And he is at usp florence and thinks it works. Usp florence is the highest and most dangerous next to the one supermax which is next door. He has seen people go to the smu and come out and not be as aggressive and violent because it sucked so bad it works as a detterent.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:53 PM
LYIDFIW

Update: Half of the Inmates have been shipped out! All of usp florence high is changing to smu except one block which will be for the inmates who have less than 18 months.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Unrepentant Mule-Wearer
Donation Award 

I'm just becoming familiar with conditions at Pollock by reading here and searching for news articles online. Seems that prison like other Fed max prisons is on lockdown every few weeks and then stays on lockdown for 2 or 3 weeks, then off lockdown for another couple of weeks, then back on.

I'm thinking this amounts to "de facto" solitary confinement for all the inmates there, for at least part of the time, and for NO reason -- the bad acts of one or two or five inmates causes hundreds of men to be punished.

Being locked down 23 hours a day for half or two thirds of every year really does equate to "unofficial" solitary confinement.

Inmates are expected to conform to the letter & spirit of all rules and laws to avoid punishment, the power structure should do the same, if their goal actually is to instill respect for the rule of law - if their goal is something else, like sheer brutality, revenge or human experimentation, then I can see why arbitrary mass "lockdowns" wouldn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda50 View Post
There is no due process for deciding who goes into them. It is difficult to get out of them. Studies have shown that the isolation is bad for the mental health of those in them. It's crazy what goes on in there. The main cause, I believe, is the incredibly lengthy sentences the feds are handing out. Families are destroyed and people inside lose hope - and have nothing to lose by breaking the rules. And they'll break the rules in the SMU's also. As long as we have the system we have, there will always be gangs in prisons - and people vying for power and position and money. And if the feds keep going like they are, every prison will be an SMU eventually. And then those who advocated for them will be sad their loved one is in one. My opinion.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Update: Half of the Inmates have been shipped out! All of usp florence high is changing to smu except one block which will be for the inmates who have less than 18 months.
Hi Kayla....I have a very good friend and almost 2 weeks that don´t know nothing from him...he tolme the next msg will be late but I am very worried where they sent him....=(
Old 05-12-2012, 08:16 PM
LYIDFIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarina22

Hi Kayla....I have a very good friend and almost 2 weeks that don´t know nothing from him...he tolme the next msg will be late but I am very worried where they sent him....=(
You can always go to www.bop.gov and click on the Inmate Locator and put his information in. It is generally correct but a little delayed. In transit means he is with the marshals or at a county jail awaiting something. Oklahoma FTC is a place where the majority of inmates go when they are redesignated. They go to their new place after OKlahoma. What is his name? Private message me and i will see if I can find him.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Donation Award 

This information from BOP Central Office via FedCURE:

The information that USP Florence will become an entire Special Management Institution is incorrect. "We have a SMU unit at USP Florence and we are in the process of expanding it. However, there are no plans on making the entire facility a Special Management Institution."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (05-15-2012), MiniMoose (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 PM
LYIDFIW

They are probably just lying. I know for a fact that more than half of the inmates are already gone and have gone to USP Beaumont or USP Atlanta. The inmates were told via a formal announcement that they are changing and all inmates with one or two hundred level offenses only within 2 years except for ones with those with less than 18 months or the inmates with higher series offenses because they are staying for smu were on a list for redesignation (r&d as stated on the sheets that were posted on all inmates doors!). The inmates doors all had lists called r&d lists and they are packed and awaiting transfer! I have heard this from a lot more than just my guy. Five out of seven of the guys I know from usp florence are already at their new place!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:01 PM
LYIDFIW

Amd as I said, not the entire facility will be smu. One or a few will be for those with less than 18 mos as it is a waste of their $ to be moved.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:06 AM
LYIDFIW

Update:

Got.word from my guy that therr are.only 200 or so people left there and that two people have been stabbed!
Old 04-04-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Amd as I said, not the entire facility will be smu. One or a few will be for those with less than 18 mos as it is a waste of their $ to be moved.
Is there any new information?
Old 04-04-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
The counselors there are the worst I have ever seen. Good luck. Call all the time. The squeaky tire gets lubed. Goodluck.
The counselors were lazy, lying, and no difference than the worst inmates.