Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 1 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 1 Facilities Discussion and information for the following facilities: Apalachee-E CI, Apalachee-W CI, Bay CF, Blackwater River CF, Calhoun CI, Century CI, Franklin CI, Gadsden CF, Gadsden Re-Entry Center, Graceville CF, Gulf CI, Gulf CI-Annex, Holmes CI Jackson CI Jefferson CI Liberty CI NWFRC NWFRC Annex Okaloosa CI Quincy Annex Santa Rosa CI Santa Rosa Annex Wakulla CI Wakulla CI Annex Walton CI

Old 10-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,303 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenswife7814 View Post
Hey yall, I am LJ. My Fiance just got senteced and was put in Calhoun. I had to leave florida after his arrest in March. Me and Our son are living in North Dakota. I miss him so much. He was sentenced to 2 yrs. 9 months. but they have not put on the jail credit that he was given. makeing his release date 11/22/2014. I miss him so much. I have no idea about all of this and I am going crazy. Like I said he was just transfered there today. I haven't even gotten a letter from him yet or anything. how long does it take to get the phone list approved? How much does stuff cost in the commisary so i know how much to send him. I am going nucking futs this is crazy....
Hi LJ. Welcome to PTO.

You should call his classification officer at Calhoun and find out why he doesn't have credit for his jail time. Sometimes that paperwork gets lost or overlooked and you have to push them to correct it. Because it should be in the system by now if he's at his permanent camp.

Phone lists can take a couple of weeks. It depends on when he turned it in. Have you set up an account with Securus so that he can call you as soon as his list is approved?

Commissary prices are insane. Like $1 for a can of Coke. They are allowed to spend $100/week. Don't worry about what he needs, though. Send what YOU can afford. All his basic needs are taken care of for the most part. Even a few dollars will buy him a couple extra luxuries that will make him a lot more comfortable. Save your money for the phone - it will cost you something around $2.40 per 15 minutes I think.

The other thing you can do is get him started on some magazine subscriptions now that he's at a permanent home. Guys get really excited to get those - they are mail and entertainment! He's allowed five subscriptions. And once he has a few magazines coming, then he can trade them with other guys for what they are reading, so he will have access to a ton of reading material.

Also, you can send him SASE envelopes and sheets of paper so he can write to you. You probably haven't heard from him yet because he doesn't have writing supplies if there is no money on his canteen account. I put ten of each in a yellow envelope (no metal clasp) when I send them and have never had an issue with getting them through.

Right now this seems really hard to manage but believe me...as time goes on it will get easier. I know that seems hard to believe, but it will.

Last edited by NAN425; 10-02-2012 at 04:51 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
Julesgirl (03-13-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2012, 06:08 AM
not living in fear

Well it is really hard right now because I am not working until monday with getting money to him. However when I do start back to work money is not going to be an issue what so ever. I am dealing with the not hearing his voice everyday. We have been together for almost 2 yrs. and he is in there for violent crimes against me. But I just can't let him go. I'm sorry I am being a whinner.....but i just have no one to talk to about this, my family hates him for it. And I just don't know what too do.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:43 AM
not living in fear

Default what can i send him

I know that in OHio you are allowed to send care packages...only know this because my father was a SGT at a prison there. What kind of things are you allowed to send them in Calhoun. Are they allowed Tennis Shoes to be sent to them? i mean i have no clue about any of this.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Waiting for Mike

Be aware that as the victim of his crime, esp. it being a violent one, you will never be approved for visitation. You may even have trouble getting approved for his phone list.

Florida has a package program through a vendor company. Inmates are allowed packages once per quarter. It's the only way that you can send them stuff. www.flpackages.com If you are going to send him a package, consult him first. There's stuff that he can only get through the quarterly order packages that he sort of needs. If you order a package, he isn't allowed to order himself that quarter and then he might not get what he needs.

All of that said...a guy who hits you once will hit you again. They don't change. What are you waiting for?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAN425 View Post
Be aware that as the victim of his crime, esp. it being a violent one, you will never be approved for visitation. You may even have trouble getting approved for his phone list.

Florida has a package program through a vendor company. Inmates are allowed packages once per quarter. It's the only way that you can send them stuff. If you are going to send him a package, consult him first. There's stuff that he can only get through the quarterly order packages that he sort of needs. If you order a package, he isn't allowed to order himself that quarter and then he might not get what he needs.

All of that said...a guy who hits you once will hit you again. They don't change. What are you waiting for?
Nan on the packages per quarter, i just went to the link you shared it has a option for food packages they are also allowed to get those.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:09 PM
not living in fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAN425 View Post

Florida has a package program through a vendor company. Inmates are allowed packages once per quarter. It's the only way that you can send them stuff. www.flpackages.com If you are going to send him a package, consult him first. There's stuff that he can only get through the quarterly order packages that he sort of needs. If you order a package, he isn't allowed to order himself that quarter and then he might not get what he needs.

Thanks for the info. But there is not any kind of a no contact order. So I am hopeing that they will approve his phone list. But we will just have to wait and see. As for the visitation that is not even an option anyways so no worries with that because I live in North Dakota. And as for what I am waiting for. I am waiting for the love of my life to be able to come home to me. ...Again thanks love.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:10 AM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireRose137 View Post
Nan on the packages per quarter, i just went to the link you shared it has a option for food packages they are also allowed to get those.
They may have one food package and one clothing package per quarter is my understanding.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:25 AM

Hi, my BF is now at Calhoun for an 18 month sentence. I'm about to write him. According to the website, we can send pics, envelopes, stamps, and paper. Is this correct before I send this stuff?
Old 10-04-2012, 11:15 AM
not living in fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax fl girl View Post
Hi, my BF is now at Calhoun for an 18 month sentence. I'm about to write him. According to the website, we can send pics, envelopes, stamps, and paper. Is this correct before I send this stuff?

yeah but just make sure you stick to the instructions about it not going over a certain amount which i believe is 15
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevenswife7814 For This Useful Post:
jax fl girl (10-04-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax fl girl View Post
DOC mail rules are the same at all facilities. You can see the mail forum for more info, but here's the basics:

10 sheets of writing paper (white, off white or yellow only - no blank drawing paper)
15 photographs or sheets of printed material
Self-addressed stamped envelopes - 20 (but can only have one first class stamp on each)
If you don't address the envelopes, you can only send 10 (no I'm not kidding - it's a messed up rule)

You can only send him the equivalent value of one book (20) of stamps at a time, and he can only possess the equivalent of two books of stamps, so mail carefully!

Make sure if you use a manila envelope that it doesn't have a metal clasp on it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
Aaron's Love (10-31-2012), jax fl girl (10-04-2012), sunshinebabe90 (07-20-2016)
Old 02-18-2013, 11:13 AM

Default calhoun c.i

My love just got transfered there an I would love some info on this place I'm always on edge about new camps... wondering how it is in there an as far as visitation goes also please help! Thanks in advance

Old 02-18-2013, 03:51 PM
FOREVER HIS<3

my man is at the calhoun workcamp its pretty laid back the guards dont really mess with you, im not sure about the main prison sorry :/
Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeskaluvss View Post
my man is at the calhoun workcamp its pretty laid back the guards dont really mess with you, im not sure about the main prison sorry :/
thanks though i appreciate the reply!

Old 07-29-2014, 09:58 PM

Hi My Hubby is in Calhoun since mid January I havent been able to see him because financially was not doing too good and I also live in Miami but im planning on going in two to three weeks this will be my first time going and will be with out 8 month old son that he has yet to meet because he got arrested when I was 6months pregnant. I need to know if it will be ok for me to take formula in a small container or do i just have his bottles ready..And am I able to wear a long dress
Old 08-28-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeskaluvSS View Post
Is he still there??
Old 08-22-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovenomore View Post
Hello, Michelle and Mike.

My name is Kim, my brother has been there for 7 years now... I only know of one other person who has a loved one there....
I think my brother is in the H dorm, because his dorm # has a H...
Hope to hear from you all soon
Is your brother still there?
Old 08-22-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsnicolodi View Post
If everything goes right with my money situation I will be trying to go up that weekend also. I go on Feb 4th and 5th but it would be no problem for me to pick you up from the airport. When it starts to get closer contact me in PM or email and we can work something out. Take care until then.
Is your loved one still at Calhoun?
Old 09-14-2018, 11:01 AM

Default Calhoun

Hi does anyone have anybody they know that is in Calhoun CI ?
Old 09-16-2018, 09:21 PM

My husband is in Calhoun. It is not as bad as some according to him. Visitation went very smoothly the guards were very polite and helpful.

The Following User Says Thank You to wife2countryboy For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (09-16-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 05:25 PM

My boyfriend is in Calhoun.