Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California Topic and discussion specific to San Quentin State Prison located in San Quentin, California.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:20 PM

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default SQ Inmate Family Council Information and Issues

This is a thread for matters that you wish your ICF Rep to address in the monthly meetings with the warden.

If you do not get a response from the Rep please go directly to the IFC website:

CA-IFC Page

Last edited by traviesita; 12-29-2011 at 10:31 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Donation Award 

Will the ICF be addressing the problems with the over crowding in the North Block visiting? I over heard the COs talking today about the fact that the area previously used for reception phone visits was almost empty yet they are terminating visits in the contact visiting room. Can the ICF let us know if the problem is being addressed at all?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Donation Award 

Default Web site not working

They have changed the entire IFC web site and the links to the individual prisons ate not working. Does anyone from the IFC monitor or contribute to this thread?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:55 PM

My husband and I visit our friend at San Quentin's death row, if Prop 34 passes will the visiting system change? If so then what are the changes to be expected? Thank you.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:40 AM

Since the Parole Board seems to want everyone to take groups and some guys can't without giving up their jobs because their bosses won't let them off to go to group. Could the Inmate Family Council try to get programs instituted for mornings as well as the evening so those who work afternoon and evenings so they can take programs to without giving up their jobs.

As most of us know many of these men have no outside help and need their jobs.

Thank You.
Blocks
The Following User Says Thank You to blocks For This Useful Post:
miamac (09-14-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 06:28 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,542 Times in 14,385 Posts

Not sure if the IFC is the place to go to find out about this.

Wouldnt this be a parole issue? Not sure IFC would deal with this.

And I was hearing that IFC is now pretty much CDCr anyway. (not sure if that is true for all facilities or what)

I do know that when my hub was on parole he had to go to a program but at least it was offered at several different times/days so hub could usually get to at least one.
And job be damned he was gonna go so as not to get into trouble. Lucky for him, his boss understood and worked with him.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 09-15-2018, 08:23 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,240 Times in 6,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
I do know that when my hub was on parole he had to go to a program but at least it was offered at several different times/days so hub could usually get to at least one.
And job be damned he was gonna go so as not to get into trouble. Lucky for him, his boss understood and worked with him.
This has been our experience now, too-- supervisors are working with people to allow them to go to programs. But, I agree that it's not realistic the way they have it slated now in some facilities. I can't speak to SQ, but I know when he was at a Level 4, most everything shut down before dinner. So if you worked, it was before dinner. School, day time. Groups, day time. And technically, if you're signed into work you're not permitted to be anywhere else. So yes, it was problematic.

This "time crunch" is another layer to the push for rehab-by-the-hour under Prop 57. It looks good, it sounds good and it can be good, but only if your facility is doing everything they can to make that a possibility.

IFC is one channel to use to try to improve this, but as sidewalker said, they've been taken over by CDC so that limits its power tremendously. MAC reps on the yard are another route, though they are stymied by having inmate status and are only as effective as the powers that choose to work with them.

I would encourage loved ones outside to keep pressure on CDC by writing Sac about specific issues at a facility regarding programming and the build up to parole. When CDC boasts on Facebook about their increased programming and that specific program is not at your facility, shout it from the virtual rooftop in the comments. Make it known that this is a problem and we're *%&@ about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 09:11 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,542 Times in 14,385 Posts

Ok I did not realize this was for guys still in prison. My hub never went to a board. they just paroled him.

Not sure about IN prison programs. They would be screwed either way. Looked down upon for not working, yet the *bosses* wont let them off work to attend programs they need/want.

Damned if you do, and damned if ya dont.
And often even if you do take programs in prison, you will likely have to take them again once released as well.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
miamac (09-15-2018)