Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida News & Events News, Events & Information relating to the Florida DOC, Criminal Justice, Prison Reform, Activism & Support, etc..

Old 10-09-2014, 01:00 AM

Default FL inmate beaten to death after aunt reported guard's threats

Quote:
Florida inmate was found dead in solitary confinement last week after writing a letter to her family about threats made against her by a prison guard.

Latandra Ellington wrote a letter Sept. 21 to her aunt saying that she feared for her life because one of the corrections officers – identified only as Sgt. Q – had threatened to beat and kill her, the Miami Herald reported.

“He was gone [sic] beat me to death and mess me like a dog,’’ Ellington wrote. “He was all in my face Sqt. Q then he grab his radio and said he was gone bust me in my head with it.’’

The 36-year-old Ellington, who had seven months left on a 22-month sentence at Lowell Correctional Institution for grand theft, was found dead Oct. 1 – about 24 hours after her aunt called the prison to report the threats.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/f...uards-threats/

Ellington had filed several complaints about guards at Lowell. She also claimed that "Sgt. Q" turns his badge around so inmates could not see his name.

FL DOC has not yet given Ellington's family an explanation of the death. An independent autopsy shows blunt force trauma to the abdomen consistent to being repeatedly kicked and punched.

The family's lawyer as requested the DOJ to investigate.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2014, 05:06 AM

Thanked 5,948 Times in 3,103 Posts

Sick but starting to finally wake people up!!!! So sad for the family.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:31 AM
All roads lead to you.

Florida Law Enforcement better step up their game, people are beaten and dying, each day at the hands of these animals. Why do they think (CO's), that they need to be the second Judge and Jury, for these inmates? It all makes me sick.

You have made me smile since October 12,1990,the day I was gifted with you! My son, my heart.

My son is home!!!
Don't look behind you, there is nothing there. Your future is ahead of you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hismom1115 For This Useful Post:
redgrl (10-09-2014), xolady (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 12:05 PM

It can be said with certainty that she was not this CO`s first victim. I`m sure that this Sergeant Q has beaten other inmates. We need the victims of this abuse to come forward and report this. Florida DOC has to clean house and get rid of the abusers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hismom1115 View Post
Florida Law Enforcement better step up their game, people are beaten and dying, each day at the hands of these animals. Why do they think (CO's), that they need to be the second Judge and Jury, for these inmates? It all makes me sick.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:12 PM

I am wondering on what criteria are these 'businesses' looking for when employing guards in Florida as there seems to be one story after another about serious guard aggression towards inmates....truly disturbing.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:42 PM

Florida is KNOWN AS THE WORST PRISON SYSTEM IN THE USA. Blame falls with who the gov, voters, inmates, guards???? Who is ever going to fix this horrible travesty we call a justice system???? I'm sick over this if your family complains or gets upset its worse for the inmate. Such a damn waste!! Unbelievable the jerk in Governors office is still in office.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endstatism View Post
It can be said with certainty that she was not this CO`s first victim. I`m sure that this Sergeant Q has beaten other inmates. We need the victims of this abuse to come forward and report this. Florida DOC has to clean house and get rid of the abusers.
ABSOLUTELY. If they can get prisoners to talk, I'm sure PLENTY have stories. This is simply unbelievable... I mean, I've heard about brutality which is bad enough - but kicking someone to death. W. T. F?!?
Old 10-10-2014, 04:45 AM
All roads lead to you.

My son was in confinement, (the guards who beat him put him there). He saw an inmate go in next to him, cuffed & shackled. They too kicked him till he died, and my son heard everything, till his last scream. Now tell me that doesn't affect somebody. When my son walks out of that hell hole, it will take strength on my part not to flip them off. Beyond belief.

You have made me smile since October 12,1990,the day I was gifted with you! My son, my heart.

My son is home!!!
Don't look behind you, there is nothing there. Your future is ahead of you.
The Following User Says Thank You to hismom1115 For This Useful Post:
icj357 (10-21-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutledjw View Post
ABSOLUTELY. If they can get prisoners to talk, I'm sure PLENTY have stories. This is simply unbelievable... I mean, I've heard about brutality which is bad enough - but kicking someone to death. W. T. F?!?
They are supposed to be investigating, but I have serious doubts about that.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:39 PM

The problem with abuse in Florida DOC has gone on for years long before Scott was elected. In reality you can blame Askew, Graham, Chiles, Bush, and Crist as they did little to correct the problems. Its a bi-partisan issue and blame can be equally distributed to the leaders of both parties. I have some hope that Secretary Crews will make some meaningful changes. I think he can if given enough time and the backing of elected officials.

Because the two candidates for governor is like making a choice between a douche and a excrement sandwich to borrow a line from South Park, I am giving consideration voting for the libertarian candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Florida is KNOWN AS THE WORST PRISON SYSTEM IN THE USA. Blame falls with who the gov, voters, inmates, guards???? Who is ever going to fix this horrible travesty we call a justice system???? I'm sick over this if your family complains or gets upset its worse for the inmate. Such a damn waste!! Unbelievable the jerk in Governors office is still in office.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:58 AM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,303 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endstatism View Post
Because the two candidates for governor is like making a choice between a douche and a excrement sandwich to borrow a line from South Park, I am giving consideration voting for the libertarian candidate.
While I understand your desire to make a statement with your vote, from a purely practical standpoint you are wasting it casting it for a candidate who has NO chance of winning if you vote Libertarian. You are, ironically, effectively disenfranchising yourself the same way our loved ones have been disenfranchised for being felons - giving yourself no voice in the outcome.

The Crist/Scott race is too close to call right now. While you may not like either candidate very much, there are significant differences between them on many issues. Pick the one you hate the least and vote. Your vote means something in that race.

The Following User Says Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
HisAngelOnly (10-20-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
But you know I realized today that the jerk that is in the Governor's office is no worse/better than his opposition...one we had before...Charlie Crist...what a choice between Scott and Crist...really!
The Following User Says Thank You to crissy's mom For This Useful Post:
icj357 (10-23-2014)
Old 03-11-2015, 01:45 PM

lots of guards have quit. so they hired right off the street. I cant prove this, but I believe it. I think (for what it may be worth) all employees of the prisons should be required to take that big 300 question test. It will show the truth 99% of the time. You might think thats not true, but these are answers the person is giving. Not force, not hurried. must stay and do the test. I hear its expensive, but with a little thinking and make copies of the questions etc. Should be a breeze. Some thing is so so wrong with a person that can beat someone to death and show no remorse.