Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know > Florida Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Florida prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's regional subforum in the Florida forum.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:43 PM

Default How do I send a book?

I want to send a book to my fiance, its at barnes & noble. He said that barnes & noble sends books from the store but it would have to be sent ground if not he wouldnt be able to receive it. Can anyone tell me how to go about doing this? I have never sent him anything except letters and cards. Also he was transferred a week and a half ago if I sent him a subscription of a magazine will they forward it to his new location?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Administrator Emeritus
Donation Award 

Thanked 6,545 Times in 3,575 Posts

If you are going to go to the store to buy the book, all you have to do is tell the store employee that you are sending the book to a correctional facility and provide them with the address and tell them it has to be mailed USPS and not through any overnight courier service.

As far as magazine subscriptions, it will only be forwarded for 30 days. You need to call and change his address so any future issues will be sent to his new address.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
Old 08-29-2009, 12:08 AM

Note that some Barnes & Noble stores won't ship to prisons because the books actually are shipped from a warehouse up north (or so said the manager here) and they don't always get the order right (that it has to go by regular mail) and then the books bounce back. You might want to call your local B&N before driving over there, just to make sure.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:55 PM

I buy usually used books from B & N, on line. put the delivery to my son, and the bill to me, I do it on a credit card. So far, no problems.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:05 PM

I found out another thing about sending books. Barnes and Nobel is not/or not allowed to send Hard Cover books. I got the email today. used, soft cover is prob good idea, and cheaper. I wonder if we can use book rate to send the books? very penny counts.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:32 PM

Paperbacks can go book rate ("media mail"). You mention used books, which wouldn't come from Barnes & Noble but from one of their independent sellers. At least in the old days DOC wouldn't accept them (anyone can sign up to sell used books through B&N so there are security issues). Same with Amazon's Marketplace sellers. One online prison site says as long as it's from a bookdealer (as opposed to an obvious private party) it should go through. Maybe others who have done this can chime in.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:48 PM

Of coarse I send all the paper back used books through an authorized dealer!!!!!! would I dare do otherwise???????????????? ah hem
Old 10-03-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin263 View Post
Of coarse I send all the paper back used books through an authorized dealer!!!!!! would I dare do otherwise???????????????? ah hem

who do you use? i really want to send books but through a regular book store is just so expensive!