Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Indiana Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 12-03-2011, 08:09 PM

Default Purposeful incarceration program?

My son was just sentenced to the new doc purposeful incarceration program. He violated his probation with only a few months to go and was given the balance of his sentence...4 yrs. The judge indicated that upon completion....he would be sent back to her court and "modified" back into probation. My research shows that only 71 inmates have finished this program. Either it is very tough...or very new. He was sentenced 2 days ago, so he will be heading to rdc? real soon. I would love to be able to give him some info before he goes there, because as I understand, he wont be able to call for a while. Also, any info on rdc...how long...conditions...etc would be appreciated. thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to andywalters02 For This Useful Post:
HerMom33760 (01-02-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Bluesky

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywalters02 View Post
My son was just sentenced to the new doc purposeful incarceration program. He violated his probation with only a few months to go and was given the balance of his sentence...4 yrs. The judge indicated that upon completion....he would be sent back to her court and "modified" back into probation. My research shows that only 71 inmates have finished this program. Either it is very tough...or very new. He was sentenced 2 days ago, so he will be heading to rdc? real soon. I would love to be able to give him some info before he goes there, because as I understand, he wont be able to call for a while. Also, any info on rdc...how long...conditions...etc would be appreciated. thank you
My Son said it's a dorm setting and they cannot have rec outdoors. They are confined to the dorm. He could order a few things from commisary and the remaining money on his account will take 3 weeks to transfer to where he is now. What was new to me was being able to send him 10 self stamped envelopes that I picked up from the P.O. for 5.00 and change. I hope this helps. They can write. Take care.
HerMom33760 (01-02-2016)
Old 12-05-2011, 05:33 PM

Default thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
My Son said it's a dorm setting and they cannot have rec outdoors. They are confined to the dorm. He could order a few things from commisary and the remaining money on his account will take 3 weeks to transfer to where he is now. What was new to me was being able to send him 10 self stamped envelopes that I picked up from the P.O. for 5.00 and change. I hope this helps. They can write. Take care.
Thanks for the info. Hes still in Marion Co 5 days after his sentencing. Ill be sure to pass what you said along. You take care as well
The Following User Says Thank You to andywalters02 For This Useful Post:
HerMom33760 (01-02-2016)
Old 12-21-2011, 02:58 PM

I haven't heard of RDC being a dorm setting, but perhaps it varies depending on what level you are classified at. My fiancee is a Level 3 and he spent about a month in RDC. They had 2 man cells and were on lockdown 22 hours a day. They got out of their cells for 2 hours a day to watch a movie. He's always had money on his books and was only able to order commissary once because it came so slow. He could write but no visits and no phone calls. So dorms would be a big bonus and a HUGE surprise to me, in my experience.

They keep the inmates on lockdown because that is the 'funnel' through which every prisoner passes. They don't want minimum security inmates mixing with maximum security inmates. They go through medical/psych evaluations and it's determined what prison they will go to. NOT a quick process at all!!

"Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity."

The Following User Says Thank You to waiting4Ro For This Useful Post:
HerMom33760 (01-02-2016)
Old 01-30-2012, 08:13 PM

My daughter is in purposeful incarceration at Rockville. She said it's the best program she's ever been in. They do not mix with the general population. They are in dorms and get to go outside. They don't take everyone into the program so if he got in it's a good thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Indymom12 For This Useful Post:
HerMom33760 (01-02-2016)
Old 05-25-2014, 04:45 PM

Default Information on the Purposeful Incarceration program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymom12 View Post
My daughter is in purposeful incarceration at Rockville. She said it's the best program she's ever been in. They do not mix with the general population. They are in dorms and get to go outside. They don't take everyone into the program so if he got in it's a good thing.
Hi,

My daughter is heading to the Purposeful Incarceration program in the next month. Can you share with me how the program did for your daughter and if she has any advice I can pass on to my daughter. I just heard about this program last week. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to sadie85 For This Useful Post:
HerMom33760 (01-02-2016)
Old 05-29-2014, 05:28 PM

Thanked 1,065 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie85 View Post
Hi,

My daughter is heading to the Purposeful Incarceration program in the next month. Can you share with me how the program did for your daughter and if she has any advice I can pass on to my daughter. I just heard about this program last week. Thanks
This original post was started a long time ago. I think the poster is on occasionally but not so much in this forum. From what I've seen about this program she is lucky and should be fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to tigrldy For This Useful Post:
HerMom33760 (01-02-2016)
Old 05-29-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrldy View Post
This original post was started a long time ago. I think the poster is on occasionally but not so much in this forum. From what I've seen about this program she is lucky and should be fine.
Thanks for the positive response. I hear Madison IN is the better of the two destinations - Rockville vs. Madison? Do you know anything about either?

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to sadie85 For This Useful Post:
HerMom33760 (01-02-2016)
Old 05-31-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie85 View Post
Thanks for the positive response. I hear Madison IN is the better of the two destinations - Rockville vs. Madison? Do you know anything about either?

Thanks.
I do not know as I only have experience with the male side, but I have heard the same thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to tigrldy For This Useful Post:
HerMom33760 (01-02-2016)
Old 06-25-2014, 08:49 AM

I wish someone had some insight here. My husband was sentenced to this program as well and I have so many questions! Anyone help?
The Following User Says Thank You to StephanieStar For This Useful Post:
HerMom33760 (01-02-2016)
Old 12-13-2015, 11:11 PM

Default any new info

Does anyone have any new info to share about the Purposeful Incarceration Program in Indiana?.. like the process, or about the different locations?
The Following User Says Thank You to homiechic For This Useful Post:
HerMom33760 (01-02-2016)
Old 12-30-2015, 12:29 PM

Default Purposeful Incarceration/Therapeutic Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by homiechic View Post
Does anyone have any new info to share about the Purposeful Incarceration Program in Indiana?.. like the process, or about the different locations?
My fiancé is at Rockville Correctional Facility and is in CLIFF which is Purposeful Incarceration. The program takes anywhere from 10-12 month's to complete depending on when your loved one's group starts the program. The inmate's get up in the morning, make their bed's, and meet for community unity at 7:30am. They start classes and group's around 8:00am. The inmate's are required to attend classes and group's from 8:00am-4:00pm. They do this Monday through Friday. On Saturday they work on extras. My fiance studies for her High School Equivalency aka GED. If you loved one already has a GED or diploma they'll have to do something else. Inmate's are also required to journal everyday about their lives in prison along with what's going on in their home lives. They have to attend 2 N/A, A/A, or other 12 step classes per week. DOC will send progress report's to the inmate's judge frequently. Once the inmate completes the program they can petition the court for a sentence modification. In my County the judges have never denied a modification after a therapeutic community was completed. Also as stated above the inmate's that are in Purposeful are in their own dorm. At Rockville the PI inmate's can't associate with the general population inmate's. They can order commissary weekly and property (clothing, shoes, radio's, etc) once a month. The PI dorm is very structured but they're not restricted from ordering or anything like that. They still get contact visit's, outside and inside rec, TV time, email's, video grams, video visit's, etc. I think I've pretty much touched on everything, but if there's anything else you need to know just ask. Also it's kind of difficult to get into the program of the judge didn't recommend it for the inmate. If the inmate was sentenced for a drug related offense more than likely the judge would've put the inmate is a good candidate for the Purposeful Incarceration Program on their abstract of judgement/sentencing order. All prison's offer PI though. Rockville call's it CLIFF and the other prison's call it GRIP but overall they're identical program's that serve the same purpose.

Last edited by jpolk9087; 12-30-2015 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: I forgot to add the location's of the PI program.
The Following User Says Thank You to jpolk9087 For This Useful Post:
HerMom33760 (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 10:26 PM

Default is there typically probation or parole after completion?

is thread is very helpful to me.

My daughter has been sentenced to serve 22 months for DUI but now has found out she is going to Rockville for that purposeful incarceration program. This was decided as she was originally sentenced in court but at the time we did not know what that meant.

Thank you for the information above. I have also read some articles online about it which seem to suggest the inmate is then released into a work release program or maybe a halfway house? But When she was originally sentenced
in court= the deal was when she walked out of jail there would be no further probations and house arrest. Etc.Done. which appealed to us because she's going to come live with me in Florida when she gets out Because of having no car now.

What has anyone's experience been when the inmate is released from purposeful incarceration? Have they been free to just go forward without all that probation and house arrest?
Or do they have to go to a halfway house or what has everyone experiencED with the loved one coming home?

My daughter is in Indiana and will be headed to Rockville prison soonfor the P.I. rehab program. When she is released, she is going to come live with me in Florida so that is why I don't want her up there in Indiana on house arrest with no car.
Because she won't be allowed to drive for 10 years and that's a tough northern climate to get around in a moped.....

Some of the articles I have read about purposeful incarceration refer to work release programs and parole afterwards? In court we were told when she's done serving her time she will be done - - as in: no more house arrest or anything.
If the plan is that she is going to be sentenced to house arrest or a work release program ---how will we find out?

Is it very customary for people to to just be released completely free after completing the PI program?

thank you for any information anyone has to offer but what happens when you complete the PI program.
do we have to hire a lawyer to petition the court for early release after she completes the PI program?
Old 01-03-2016, 12:09 AM

Default Purposeful Incarceration/Therapeutic Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerMom33760 View Post
is thread is very helpful to me.

My daughter has been sentenced to serve 22 months for DUI but now has found out she is going to Rockville for that purposeful incarceration program. This was decided as she was originally sentenced in court but at the time we did not know what that meant.

Thank you for the information above. I have also read some articles online about it which seem to suggest the inmate is then released into a work release program or maybe a halfway house? But When she was originally sentenced
in court= the deal was when she walked out of jail there would be no further probations and house arrest. Etc.Done. which appealed to us because she's going to come live with me in Florida when she gets out Because of having no car now.

What has anyone's experience been when the inmate is released from purposeful incarceration? Have they been free to just go forward without all that probation and house arrest?
Or do they have to go to a halfway house or what has everyone experiencED with the loved one coming home?

My daughter is in Indiana and will be headed to Rockville prison soonfor the P.I. rehab program. When she is released, she is going to come live with me in Florida so that is why I don't want her up there in Indiana on house arrest with no car.
Because she won't be allowed to drive for 10 years and that's a tough northern climate to get around in a moped.....

Some of the articles I have read about purposeful incarceration refer to work release programs and parole afterwards? In court we were told when she's done serving her time she will be done - - as in: no more house arrest or anything.
If the plan is that she is going to be sentenced to house arrest or a work release program ---how will we find out?

Is it very customary for people to to just be released completely free after completing the PI program?

thank you for any information anyone has to offer but what happens when you complete the PI program.
do we have to hire a lawyer to petition the court for early release after she completes the PI program?
Hi, it varies on what happens after she completes P.I. The Judge can modify her sentence to probation, house arrest, halfway house, etc. I don't see her going to a halfway house given she's got a good support system with you. Inmate's that usually go to a halfway house don't have any support system's on the outside or a safe home to return to and that's their only option. Once your daughter completes P.I. she will have to petition the court to modify her sentence. You could hire a lawyer which I would suggest or she can go to the law library at Rockville and an inmate advocate can help her with filling out the proper paperwork. The reason I suggest hiring counsel is because there's a chance she'll be modified to probation. An attorney can request that your daughter's probation be transferred to Florida. I would also suggest that you and any other person look into this new law that took effect May, 2015. It's called SB174. It's regarding sentence modification's. Indiana changed their drug law's July 2013 however people sentenced before that date couldn't use the new law. I realize your daughter was convicted of DUI but still it's a non violent crime and I think a good attorney could use SB174 to modify her sentence without her completing P.I. Under SB174 your daughter wouldn't need the prosecutor's approval to file the modification. Under the new law a person can file 2 time's within the sentence instead of 1 time under the old law. A person can only file 1 modification per 365 day's so the sooner the better since the CLIFF program take's 10-12 month's to complete on average. If you filed one and it was denied she'd still be able to file again after CLIFF. That would be about a year later. Legislators made this new law to try to free up the prison because there's so many low level non violet offender's incarcerated within the IDOC. If you've got anymore question's feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them. One other thing that ties into SB174 a Judge now has the authority to suspend all or part of a person's sentence. It wouldn't be unheard of if she was cut completely free after completing P.I. especially with this new law in effect.
The Following User Says Thank You to jpolk9087 For This Useful Post:
HerMom33760 (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 07:26 PM

Dear Jpolk,
I thank you so so very much for this very informative and very very helpful answer.
I hate to be dense, but can she file modification under this new sb174, BEFORE she has even completed the PI?

Or do we have to wait until AFTER she completes the PI
and then we can apply for modification under sb 174?

She hasn't even arrived at Rockville yet and has not even started the PI program yet. So I am assuming she has to arrived at Rockville and begin the program before she applies for modification? She was only sentenced 2 weeks ago.
I'm new at all this stuff but I must admit I am absolutely blown away by the knowledge, and information and help that I am finding here on this website.
thank you again for taking the time to help a stranger.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:16 PM

Part of what they look for when you file modification is what they have done since getting there to seserve modification. Filing too early could backfire so no you don't want to try before they get there. Something else about modification is that is may not change their sentence term just where thy serve it. Sometimes they can work for time cuts inside and get out quicker. For instance they could get modified to home detention.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tigrldy For This Useful Post:
HerMom33760 (01-04-2016), JNJSHRUM4EVER (02-16-2016)