Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida News & Events News, Events & Information relating to the Florida DOC, Criminal Justice, Prison Reform, Activism & Support, etc..

Old 01-04-2005, 07:00 AM
Your My World Anthony

Default Its Official (Florida DOC monthly bank fees)

Judge Lets Prisons Charge State Inmates Monthly Bank Fees

POSTED: 6:32 am EST January 4, 2005

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- A judge has ruled that the Department of Corrections can charge a $4 monthly bank fee to Florida's 80,000 prison inmates.

GET WFTV NEWS HEADLINES BY EMAIL
9 a.m. Headlines
Noon Headlines
4 p.m. Headlines
News of the Strange
Breaking News Alerts

The state legislature approved the fee last spring, but two prisoners and a nonprofit organization sued to block the charge, arguing that the fees were lumped into a bill that dealt with other issues, such as private prisons.

Circuit Judge Nikki Ann Clark ruled in Tallahassee on Dec. 21 that the fee provision is "logically connected to the subject of the act because it deals with the authority to operate the Florida prison system."

The fee will be imposed on bank accounts kept by prisoners and used to buy toiletries, such as deodorant, or junk food and some clothing, such as tennis shoes, not provided by the state.

The Department of Corrections will move ahead with collecting the money within four to six weeks, said spokesman Sterling Ivey. He didn't know whether the fee would be retroactive.

Kindred Spirits Charitable Trust, the nonprofit organization that filed the suit, plans to appeal, said Randall Berg Jr., executive director of the Miami-based Florida Justice Institute, which represents the group.

Peggy Taylor, a DeLand retiree whose husband is in prison, said she lives on Social Security and can send only a few dollars at time to her husband's state-run bank account.

"You have to scrape to pay your bills as it is, and when I send him money, they will take some of it," she told The Daytona Beach News-Journal.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

" Only my mother can feel my pain "
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2005, 07:49 AM
FAVAAAAAAH!!!

WTF?!?!?! That is such crap. The inmates already get double taxed for stuff they buy and the money we send to them.....this is so crappy. Yes, it's only $4....but that adds up. You know...if the DOC is so worried about being overcrowded and needing more money to run the prisons...well, here's an idea. REINSTATE PAROLE AND EARLY RELEASE!!!! That way the prisons aren't that overcrowded, or if ppl are on death row then go ahead and terminate them instead of keeping them there for 20-30 years. Geeze....if it isn't one thing, it's another. THIS IS SO RIDICULOUS. Ok, so if it retroactive then what if the inmate doesn't have the money to pay for that?? Then what?? UGH....I really dislike the DOC. They need to figure out another way to do their stuff. Let ppl go.....that will solve a lot of problems as far as needing more money. Ok...I am really irritated now.....I need to go smoke a cigarette and then get back to work. Thanks Cathy.....you are awesome!!! You are wonderful to keep looking out for your PTO family and inform us when something big happens!!! Thanks so much from the bottom of my heart!!!

Love in Christ,
Megan
**Philippians 4:13**

Old 01-04-2005, 08:28 AM
He's Home in APRIL!!
Donation Award 

Aren't they getting enough of our money through taxes and outrageous prices at visitation, not too mention the tax and money they get from our loved ones every time they buy their over priced crap?! They are so proud on their web site that it only takes around $47 dollars and some change to care and house an inmate...So what is this money exactly for?!?! WTH!?!?!?

I agree with Tonyswife23 prison's are over crowded and bringing back parole. That's where their problem lies even if they brought back the 65% for all it would help they want us to just keep forking over money we don't have for them to be able to hold people that they claim they are rehabilitating. It's "ALL" about money they could care less about the "CARE, CUSTODY AND CONTROL" of our loved ones and they certainly don't care about rehabilitating them.
Man , this is such crap!!
Thanks Cathy for posting this. I'll ask my guy if he's goten a memo on this yet? Exactly how are they going to do this? Take $4.00 every month or every time they have money posted to their account? What happens if they have no money in their account..do they get penalized and more money taken out once they do get money?
O.K. I'm getting more issed: the more I write. I guess I'll just have to make sure he always has atleast $4.00 extra dollars ever month!
Spikeswife

Old 01-04-2005, 10:08 AM
missin my babe

Old 01-04-2005, 10:09 AM
missin my babe

i know in lee county they took money out if they had more than 19.00 in their account.
so i would only send 19 at a time so they could not take any out. there may be something like that on this account fee also i guess just have to wait and see

thanks, j'slady
Old 01-04-2005, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyFL
Florida's 80,000 prison inmates.
80,000 prisoners held by the state plus the federal prisons in Florida plus all the county jails and juvenile detention centers plus everybody on the short leash of probation and house arrest.

Florida is a penal colony.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Prince holds my Heart!

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94502

My man already knew about this unfortunately and this was a similar memo that he received.. This one is posted by Phil. I was wondering when they would start taking out, and now we have our answers... Well, guess I will forward this to him too..

Last edited by princes' girl73; 01-04-2005 at 08:00 PM..
Old 01-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Frenchy Member

They do suck !!! And beside their system is UNFAIR and doesn't take into account people's financial possibilities. If they are to charge something, it should be a percentage of the amount of the money order, so that it would be more fair for everybody.

Let's say they charge 5% of the amount. Poor people who can not afford more than sending $20 a month would be charges $1 and rich people who can send $100 would be charged $5. This system would be better for those who can't afford to send much.

The inmate who receives $20 a month would still have $19 instead of $16 with their system, and the guy who get $100 would get $95 instead of $96, so he wouldn't lose as much as a poor guy.

But of course, we know that FLDOC doesn't care about that.

Phil
Old 01-04-2005, 08:42 PM

How pathetic!!! This really saddens me! My man had told me about this and I thought they were already taking out the $4/month, but I see it starts in about a month. Boo Hoo!!!
Old 01-04-2005, 10:25 PM

How about the fellows that don't have any money sent to them? Don't get me started about banking fees.