Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Oregon Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:58 PM

Thanked 1,866 Times in 892 Posts
Default Transfer from Oregon prison to county jail, does their money go with them?

If someone is currently in an Oregon prison and transferring to a county jail (which has kiosks) does the money on their account go with them, or does the person that posted the money eat it?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2017, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,542 Times in 3,338 Posts

The money belongs to the inmate. I am not sure if it will transfer from state to county, but it will get back to the inmate, even if they die.

They may cut a check (in the case of death) or give a phone card (in the case of final release from state). I would guess that in the case of transferring from state to county, it would depend on which phone system the county uses. If the county uses the same system as state, it probably just stays on the account and moves with them (for phones). For commissary, I don't know if it would move into their commissary account at county or if it would be issued as a check for someone on the outside to deal with - my guess would be that it moves to the county.

But no matter what, the state is obligated to return the money to the inmate or the inmate's estate. It wouldn't just get eaten. You can call TelMate about the phone money and you can call the Trust Fund office for state to get more information. I found both to be very forthcoming when I had to get the money back for my Dad's estate.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
JustBeingMe67 (12-29-2017)