Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Florida should be posted here.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:21 AM

Default Returning to school after release?

What kind of college programs/degrees can a convicted felon go for? He was studying in the medical field before incarceration... is that not possible now? Do colleges allow felons to enroll? Or is there a special process he must go through? I am helping a friend research his possbilities so he can be prepared once he is released in January. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2010, 04:11 PM

I was visiting my son today and we were just talking about the same thing. He is considering going back to college once he gets out. I do believe that colleges allow felon's in, but you are restricted on what they will give you a degree in. I want to say as in my son's case, he is convicted on drugs.. so he cannot do anything with medical as he cannot be around drugs. Like going for nursing would be out of the question for him. He was a cook (and helped run a small Italian Restaurant) prior to going into prison. He is 24 and has some college credits. The employment counselor at the WRC suggested that maybe when he gets out he major in Hospitality/Business Management. By doing so, this would allow him to pursue a career in Restaurant Management at some point in his life... so this is what leads me to believe that they can go to college.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Dawn loves Michael always

Since the job situation is so dismal here at the moment (a major employer shut down on the 23rd putting even more people out looking for jobs) hubby has decided to check into vocational training as an electrician. I'm just hoping we can get a grant.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:57 AM

Default College for felons

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeofMichael View Post
Since the job situation is so dismal here at the moment (a major employer shut down on the 23rd putting even more people out looking for jobs) hubby has decided to check into vocational training as an electrician. I'm just hoping we can get a grant.

There are college opportunities & grants for college for those in, or released. Google for info. There's much available. Vocational is also good, but try to locate either that helps in placement as well. Federal bonding also helps in job placement & can be affordable for felons. Google, google! LOL
Old 03-23-2011, 07:34 PM

College is a no go, not a good fit. He's more vocationally minded. I have seen nothing with the federal bonding that assists with job placement.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM
ARG - I love YOU more! :)

We've also discussed this (also Drug Charge, I had to remind him that the medical field was most likely a no go) I suggest going to the career development part of the college or university (they should still admit him, it's the aid you may not be eligible for) and tell them your situation and 'work backwards' I have googled 'jobs for felony' and from that list my boyfriend and I came up with a few ideas. He's likes physical labor and will probably learn a trade. My goal is to get my 2nd bachelors finished so I can help him when he's out. It's not going to be easy but I'll take struggling together, any day.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:58 PM

Well school is now a no go period. Ya'll please be wary of University of Phoenix. My hubby signed up and we discovered it wasn't a grant but a loan. I managed to get them to admit they were wrong, but we are on the hook for almost $250 and until it's paid he can't get a Pell Grant. So now he's going to have to find a job, to get the money paid and with luck he could possibly do it fast and still get into the program. If not it's another year to wait.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Banned

There are many many former prisoners in my college. I have 3 in one class and am real cool with one of them. They are some of the best students. I can tell they really want to succeed.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:39 PM

I know that you will not qualify for the aid if you are convicted on a drug charge while you are receiving financial aid. My son was told at the WRC and while in the prison by his old CO, former inmates are not automaticly disqualified for financial aid just because they were in prison. If they meet the financial end of it, they can still get it. How true this is, I don't know for sure, but that is what he was told. I have money put aside for him for college from a fund that my mother had set up for my kids when they were young. she set it up for all 3 of them.. he wasn't using his since he had the scholarship, but that he LOST.. that he will not be able to get back due to the drug charge.. and now it has been too long anyway.. they only give you x-amount of years to reapply for it..

Last edited by amickeyfan; 04-21-2011 at 06:41 PM..
Old 04-22-2011, 09:23 AM

I'm hoping we can get this paid off by the end of May and then he can enroll. We'll see. He qualifies for the Pell but we have to pay the UofP back first.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:22 PM

Does anyone know if they can qualify for the Pell Grant if they don't have their fines & fee's paid off. . my son's are so freaking high, he isn't going to have them paid for years & years if he could ever pay them off.. the one alone is a total of $50,600!!! He needs the college education to get a good job (ha-ha with a prison record) to ever even begin to pay that down...and that is just one of his fines..
Old 05-16-2011, 05:41 PM

We got some bad news on Friday. He owes the DOE $1000 for the Pell Grant he was forced to default on when he was arrested. The whole mess is so confusing. He missed his final exams and that's means the grant turns into a loan that must be repaid.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:22 PM

Awe Dawn, I am sorry to hear this.. that sucks... hang in there, eventually things will turn around..
Old 08-03-2013, 06:01 AM
Self surrender soon

In case anyone in the current year is looking at this conversation. Ex-felons can and do go to colleges and universities. All are eligible for financial aid EXCEPT there are severe limitations on those with drug charges. Grants can still be given. As can scholarships. Don't go to "For-Profits" that make promises but really just cost more and see you as a customer, not a student - like Phoenix or Walden. You may want to start at your local community college. Even if you are looking for a trade, community colleges can offer you certificates and degrees at a fraction of the cost of For Profit institutions, and their degrees are transferable to a 4 year university if you choose to move on.

Read my blog about preparing to self-surrender:
Dragonflyhazel.blogspot.com

I am also a gratefully, recovering, compulsive gambler