Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Continuing and Adult Education
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Continuing and Adult Education Discuss college and continuing education.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:55 PM

Default My Desired College Return

I have long wanted to re-start college .
However , the very major factors of money and health and stability/being homeless ( I have Aspergers' but was only diagnosed - in my 40s - in the 2000s . ) aside , my school/test records ( I graduated my local HS - kind of " on paper " , but... - nd did well on a national Merit Sclolarship test at the time , a runner-up my mother always told me/held over my head and did have some h*lf-*ass*d attempt at going to college all of those attempts in NY State and pre-dating " the Internet era " considerably . ) are lost in a hideously...messed-up...manner and ALL! schools demand your records , NO EXCEPTIONS and , I don't see how I can ever untie this knot/thread !
Basically , DON'T SAY " Oh , just get an admissions officer , they'll do it , lickety-split..." .
No . They . Won't .
I have had ENDLESS examples of that , if I send an attempted dmission the...messed-up...status of my papers shows up and my attempts get tossed in the circular file ! ALWAYS . Basically it's like I have a " curse " somewhere in my " paperwork " .
I DO think that this could be solved if I could get someone who would provide me with LOTS of help possibly including some kind of " clearing out the pipes " before I attempt an actual admissions attempt to see that at , if I was rejected , the outfit that rejected me would AT LEAST think enough of me to send me a rejection - But everyone I guess is wedded to the " perky one-shot " TV-movie narrative .
I have been cryinghere , writing this ~ What i could tell you . I " did the things you're supposed to do "
Old 07-09-2013, 10:27 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,629 Times in 14,981 Posts

I started college at the age of 39. They did not request high school transcripts or any other paperwork from that far back. I did not have to take the SAT or any other test. I applied to the college, filled out my FAFSA for Federal/State financial aid and started classes that fall semester.

Wishing you the best of luck! Welcome to PTO!
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
kocha79 (07-20-2015)
Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 PM
WINNING! Admin

PTOQ Editorial Team Member 

Donation Award 

Thanked 37,851 Times in 10,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
I started college at the age of 39. They did not request high school transcripts or any other paperwork from that far back. I did not have to take the SAT or any other test. I applied to the college, filled out my FAFSA for Federal/State financial aid and started classes that fall semester.

Wishing you the best of luck! Welcome to PTO!
My experience was the same, except I started in my late forties.

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patty For This Useful Post:
kocha79 (07-20-2015), patchouli (07-10-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 11:18 PM

My Grandmother didn't go to school until her late forties, after all her children were in college or out of the house themselves. Even now in her early eighties she takes courses at the local university, however she falls under the "non-degree seeking" students category and she doesn't have to pay tuition, just the cost of the book.

I go to a private university and every year we get one or two men/women that are coming back to start/restart their schooling to get their degrees. Most of them are late 30's to mid 40's and I do not believe they had to take an SAT nor did they have to provide high school transcripts. My school classifies them as "nontraditional admits" because of their age and the lesser requirements to be admitted. They are however regular degree seeking students.

I would suggest getting into contact with the admissions office at the university of your choice and let them know that you fall under the "nontraditional admit" category because of your age and the fact that you do not have transcripts or test scores. They should be able to work with you and waive those requirements of the application if you are degree seeking. If you are not have them help you find some classes that you can attend that you can possibly only pay "auditing credit hour fee" which is a lot cheaper than the credit hour fees or even take the class for free!

Either way you're never too old to go back to school and there IS a way to get you back into school. If you have any questions or if you need any help you can PM me, I am originally from California and my grandmother got her undergrad at a CalState school.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:07 AM

I also went in as an adult learner and my transcripts from twenty years prior were a non-issue, not asked for.

If you are finding acceptance at a private University/College or specific degree program problematic enroll at a Community College or State sponsored College for a few semesters to establish a high GPA and proof you are able and serious about completing a degree program. After that reapply to the school of your choice. Aside from establishing yourself again they are cheaper and have less stringent enrollment requirements and give adults the opportunity to get back into the swing of things.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimbo For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 10:11 AM

...I'll say more later , no time now , couldn't say below yesterday:
Actually , I imagine it's likely my jail time - all misdemeanor anyway - could have no relation to this , and this was an issue with me LONG before the circumstances of the Greybar came along.........
Old 07-10-2013, 02:08 PM

...First . let me point out , please , that I might very well leave California ~ The UC California system and the (second-division) California State University system are , budgetarily both headed DOWN-HILL as far as quality goes and WAY UP-UP-UPHILL as far costs go , and that will only continue . I have certain reasons to want to get out of California anyway...
Also , to be blunt , I want the " real " college experience . I accept that an acceptable night school/junior-community college score is likely - absolutely , basically - needed before I can get into what is , for me , anyway , the " real " college experience . A standard four-year , " sleep-away " , word " University " on it , experience , leading to a B.A. at the end . What my parents had .
I am getting teary now , anyway , so , bye , now .

Last edited by BydSarrett; 07-10-2013 at 02:21 PM..
Old 07-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Lost Jedi of Middle Earth
Donation Award 

I went through a community college, in my late 30's. No records necessary. Now, if I wanted to go on to the "University"- well that is possible. (Not likely for me right now though, and frankly, I just don't want to go to school again... YIKES! I SAID that. Whew, that certainly isn't me, I do love school, but life.. eh forget it.)

But onto what I was trying to tell you. The community college where I lived at that time, (Michigan) was doing this 3+1 degree with the University of Michigan. You take 3 years at the community college then 1 year at the University of Michigan, and you get a degree with University Of Michigan's name stamped on it. No one will ever know that you only went there for the finishing year. Plus, think of the money you would save by attending a community college vs. the University. It is a great plan for adults who just really want to earn a bachelor's degree with a more prestigious name on the degree.

Any financial aid forms will take a background check. I do not know what your personal criminal history is, but if it is drug related or a violent/sex offense, then your resources for funding are really limited. Also, if you go the financial aid department of a school you are interested in attending, sign up to speak with a counselor. My counselor found 2 extra grants for me that I had never even heard of to help finance my degree.

I commend you for your determination to get your degree. Don't give up. Keep looking, keep pushing and reaching out. Someone might have a good idea or a plan that was meant for someone in your position. Social service departments often have more information as well. And out here in Maryland, the unemployment office services are open to EVERYONE even if you are disabled or even still working. They offer help finding programs that can help those in special situations get educations and degrees.

((((Byd)))) Take care and Good luck!

Last edited by Heartsick_in_MD; 07-10-2013 at 03:40 PM..
Old 07-10-2013, 06:38 PM

...Well , thank you all...In all honesty , It's that I want the " teenage " experience I never - Or , slightly post-teenage experience - that I never had .
I want the cliched gontg to the Rat/being in the men's chorusccollege radio station stuff . I never had it .
I'm sort of old enough that , to a certain extent , even if going to college does not lead to a meeting that turns into something more " real-world " successful - What , I could leverage it enough to , I suppose , more or less wait for Mr. Death to come calling , and then try to collect your loans from my dead ass .
" Waiting around to die " , Townes Van Zandt called it .
My , cheerful , huh ?????????
Someone I spoke to when I was i jail sort of recommended that ~ Now , if I could somehow get in better/improved enough situation to do so , and , FIND SOMEONE9s) who would help me , etc.
I am 53 . I am not 33 , or even 43 .
Am I likely to even be going to a community college/night school this fall sememster ?
Really , honestly ?
No . Are you going to tell me I am ?
I don't know , Patch , Pat , and Tam , maybe because you're women the offices felt that way ?? I'm a male ? Slo , I assume your Gam grew up befor (when or where) women generally went to advanced school ???
Look , what I have in mind , at least more or less , is to be a " useless English major " . Now , maybe I'd find Something More Likely To Get You A Job - SMGJ , for short . - as an interest , I'm not discounting the necessity of paying some attention to that - But , I'm 53 .
And , I'm not the Sunday SF Chronicle or SJ Merc-News " I'm going back after raising my kids and my divorce to get my real-estate liscence " or " After making a ton as an early dot-commer I am going back to get my social services degree to help blind orphans in Tibet " - I never really had " my life " the first time around . I guess .
I have not , as I've said , been in and out of the justice system for the last 25 years , nor have I had any drug or alkie problem , but I have been ' culturally homeless " (Iincluding having a place for a while but it not working out/being in some " recent-ex-homeless " place , of which there are a lot of in San Francisco , where I was ~ But , anything else aside the social services agency who BLATANTLY STOLE AN INHERITANCE FROM ME in San Francisco sort of left me SOL there , to simplify . ) since about this time in 1996 . Continuously . 17 years . I do think ( The basics of money aside . ) the facts of being non-diagnosed for my Aspergers' syndrome for over 40 years could be said to have contributed to that !
Now , that said , I somehow think that any " getting into school " , etc. or getting housing before would require me be the sort of " loveable homeles/ex-homeless Aspie elf "...Or , if I do do that " learn to bang an instrument enough to try traveling around busking " fantasy give myself some sort of rebranding as a neo-Woody/Jerouac " romantic " homeless guy who will impress the right folks ?????

...As I have said , my offense (And even , in my understanding , the possible additional jail time , both from the Santa Cruz stuff and the DATING-from-earlier San Francisco stuff is all misdemeanors - FTA/breaking probation/whatever but , essentially ALL of them " being homeless " . And I believe misdemenors , and probably not even required to report , and (I like to think) maybe point-toable on a " See what lackings in the social and medical system drove/cornered me into-to do ????? " .
I may even stop quasi-apologizing for my fairly minimal amount of time/minor case as I've alredy outlined it sufficiently on my " INTRODUCE " post , I believe~
However , especially since I think I'd need my good records from before and the (as it happens) pretty " good " HS that I - on paper (long story , more later ?) went to , I DO believe that no college/university will take you on a " real "/degree-getting level without your papers , at least not in my case .
And I don't think " taking the SATs again " or whatnot would be a good idea , I'd never , frankly , get as good a grade as I got in 1978 when I was " more in the step " of education/what is current - the " Educational-Industrial Complex " in general that spit in my face and f*ck*d me over :-( .

...I mean...I'm 53 years old .
Maybe taking the chance of owing college debts for the rest of my life (if I don't somehow land in something profitable - what , at 58 ????????? ) is worth it .
Maybe .
And of course tthis is 100% BS on my part/woolgathering , there is NO sign of any going back to school on my horizon !!!!!!!!!
No help . :-(

...To maybe say this a little less manic/rushed ~ I never " went to college " in the first place .
Maybe I want to hide some ~ I'm not particularly in a " hey , outside world , GET READY FOR ME !!!!!!!!! " - especially outside of my vague fantasies of " maybe I can get some writing project going " (and an education world situation might , I suppose , pride the setting/possible ability for contacts for that) or even " being a filmaker " - and I can just assume someone making a verbal slapdown at me for hat , " you're another BS would-be ' filmaker ' " -
I suppose people would say " be practical " but " English major "/verbal/reading type things are WHAT I'M GOOD AT , not to mention what I think I'd have any liklihood of getting in/accepted on ~ (And , incidentally , I believe that , in a case like mine anyhow , IT IS JUST NOT TRUE that " you don't need your old HS/etc. ' records/proof ' " , I have sure been told that by the College-Industrial Complex AGAIN & AGAIN & AGAIN .
Crying now , somewhat incoherent - BYD

...On a certain level , maybe , trying to vamp/hide out in the college system for a long time " is wrth trying ~ I'm , again , 53 , I have no adult close relatives who care about me/will help , I never got to/truly did " the college thing " at the " normal " age or even a touch past it and I have thought that if I died the thought that " I never went to college " would occur to me:-( - However , health/money/being homeless/my records being lost and the C-IC SPITTING IN MY FACE when I've tried to go bak:-(.........

...I really think I probably need the help of what records I already have ~ I kind of graduated " by the back door " , in a sense .
I just don't think admissions officers are gouing to be very nice to me , I just don't seem to be a person they like ~ No matter what Paatc , Pat , and SL's experiences were .
Also , frankly , there's a specific odd thing to being in California - And the whole thing of " If you want to go to a ' real ( four-year , " go-away to " - and I DO - you have to ' prove yourself ' at a community college/night school/junior college before you go to the ' real thing ' " - which I accept the necessity of , okay .
I see , here in California , some such organizations advertising " Classes transferable for credits to all UC California and California State University systems' courses " AS IF THAT IS AN EXCEPTION (emphasis mine) , and , AS IF THEY WOULD ONLY BE APPLICABLE THERE , NOWHERE ELSE IN THE U.S.A. !
Why shouldn't a " normal " course be good for credit anywhere in , at least the US ? Why shouldn't night/junior courses be applicable in Utah , or New York , or wherever ?
If that's some f*ck*d-up way the " getting credit " system works , that it's only good in your state's State US , well , I have a reson to want t leave Califrnia (which I won't go into here , just now) - Basically I am stucjk here , I can't come up with the money to leave - And , granted , I'm used to it , it's warm - Since I'm homeless . I don't really have the money to get a ticket , decent clothes/luggae , etc. And I'm ill , in a way that I may of may not have spoke of anywhere here , but it makes leaving sort of awkward .
But the thing is , the California state systems , both the A-leauge University of California system and the B-grade California State Univesity system are experiencing such expenditure cuts that their academic qualiy/experience are going way DOWN while the fees charged - Charged to in-states' , I mean - are going way UP .
So , I don't much want to do a go-back for credits that would only be transferable to UC/CSU places since both my personal problem making it good for me to leave California and the downward spiral of the CA sysems make it - well , I said it .
You know , when I was eighteen , I was looking forward to going away to college , and my mother at that time went " Oh , no . First you have to prove you deserve to go away to college . , I an hear it again 35 years latr .
I thought my teenage fun was going to begin then , but...
I'm crying now , getting attention from the next typer in the library now.........

Last edited by LeBeau; 07-27-2013 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: Merged for continuity
Old 07-26-2013, 02:20 PM

Thanked 1,599 Times in 517 Posts

To be honest, I didn't every bit of every one of your posts. Not to be harsh, but the somewhat meandering messages, formatting and random punctuation makes them difficult to follow.

From what I did read... you are looking to go to college and relive your childhood/teen years/college years.

It sounds like you want to come out with a B.A. in something, and at the same time, hang out at the soda shop with Archie and the gang.

My advice is to separate the two goals.

If you want an education, use the wisdome of your 53 years on earth and go get it. Get the education. Not the "beanie wearing, prankster, malt shop college experience." Get the education. Do it in a way that makes sense.

There is nothing wrong with Community College. Go get the basics done and transfer the credits. Get into the groove of studying, doing homework, dealing with going to the lab for chemistry and biology 101, and so on. You know... get an education.

2 years there, transfer to a University, 2 more years, and you get the paper.

If you want to re-live being 18-21, you might want to do that on weekends when you have your homework done and have your grades where you need them to be.

If you can feel 18 at 53, and have the cool kids bring you into their gang, then good for you, but if you want an education, you might find that you are a little out of the habit of being in classes at 8 AM, homework that night, studying for tests and pop quizzes, group assignments, and all the rest of it that high school routines had you used to.

College really isn't about entertainment. Being 18 is about entertainment. At least I think it was. I don't remember ALL of being 18.

Best of luck.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Straight For This Useful Post:
Kimbo (07-26-2013), Klewis (07-30-2013), kocha79 (07-20-2015), Renee (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 02:43 PM

...I'm not denying the necessity of diciplining myself , getting proper cred at NS/CC before going to " real " college later , etc.
Now , for practical questions , what about my point of " WTF ? California credits in NS.CC only apply IN California , and that's only if you're particularly lucky ???
Thank you for your comment .
I should point out that this is not " Getting my real estate liscence now that the kids are all off to college themselves " or " Getting my degree to teaxch kids in Nepal now that I've made my dot-com pile "...I'm simply not ain a position for that . My 53 is not other people's 53 .
I never did the " standard ' thing in the first place .
I'm not so much looking for " teenage friends " , nessecarily , but...Actually , what (and it's REALLY unlikely that I would even be going to NS.CC this fall...MONEY , of course , my health and being homeless and this california situation and the fact that , as i said , my - NEEDED - records are lost , and the College-Industrial Complex has spit in my eye repeatedly when I've tried to recover it/start on " properly " going back) , going to college , bluntly , would give me smething to do .
That could , of course , lead to a degree eventually...at , say , 58/59 , which is a bit late for " Okay , world , here I come !!!!!!! " -
Now , frankly , going to college could let me do something/vamp while I try to find something to do/find connections .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight View Post
To be honest, I didn't every bit of every one of your posts. Not to be harsh, but the somewhat meandering messages, formatting and random punctuation makes them difficult to follow.

From what I did read... you are looking to go to college and relive your childhood/teen years/college years.

It sounds like you want to come out with a B.A. in something, and at the same time, hang out at the soda shop with Archie and the gang.

My advice is to separate the two goals.

If you want an education, use the wisdome of your 53 years on earth and go get it. Get the education. Not the "beanie wearing, prankster, malt shop college experience." Get the education. Do it in a way that makes sense.

There is nothing wrong with Community College. Go get the basics done and transfer the credits. Get into the groove of studying, doing homework, dealing with going to the lab for chemistry and biology 101, and so on. You know... get an education.

2 years there, transfer to a University, 2 more years, and you get the paper.

If you want to re-live being 18-21, you might want to do that on weekends when you have your homework done and have your grades where you need them to be.

If you can feel 18 at 53, and have the cool kids bring you into their gang, then good for you, but if you want an education, you might find that you are a little out of the habit of being in classes at 8 AM, homework that night, studying for tests and pop quizzes, group assignments, and all the rest of it that high school routines had you used to.

College really isn't about entertainment. Being 18 is about entertainment. At least I think it was. I don't remember ALL of being 18.

Best of luck.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:48 PM

...And it is REALLY difficult for me to get across , in a situation such as as this , how REALLY LOST my records are - And , the embitteringness of my past attempts to get the College-Industrian Complex to play nice along with me , regarding those records - And , for all the talk of " There's grants everywhee ! " I SURE DON'T KNOW how to look for them . A 17-yr old isn't expected to find them all by himselves , and the whole system is built for him .
I'm sorta verbal/verbose but I am sorely lacking in confidence - and connections . And , it appears that , as I said , other people just think in TV-movie terms about " filling in one form and everything will be right " !
I sure don't know where that form is...

...Frankly , I'm pretty old , and , I will say , that as far as " getting a degree " goes , either 'unemployable English major " , or , MAYBE , some kind of ' helping profession " thing - Where , remember , you have to go to school for a really long time a enter profession where you are not paid much - and , you know , 58/60 at that time that I " start " ?
Going to school might allow me to vamp along to , perhaps , find something ( Including the possibility of " Something you're good at that is more employable " .) - and , maybe at the end , if I haven't found something profitable , I won't have too many years til' death , and then f*ck any college debts , to be blunt ?

...My being tagged as " smart " has , arguably , been A CURSE in my life - Perhaps because I wasn't , early on , in school situations where I could have gotten something out of it/a certain WAS/60s school theories P " don't be too pushy/fit in " concepts ?
I used to wonder what my like would have been like if , school years , I HAD been sent to some " special/advanced " kids school - where , bluntly , I would've been not all that " smart " , would've had to work at it , but where that was approved of and could have been , evn , maybe , by contrast , more a " normal " kid . (This was before the Asperger's diagnosis .)
I talk/write in a WASP-y/verbose manner . Sio I come off " smart " .
Look at all I've got for it , whoopp-eeee ! (And , ctually , the jail thing that makes me eligible hee is quite minor/maybe of not any real importance at all - 'Twas (as yet) pretty pissant county time , at a pretty " nice " jail , " for being homeless " - Or , am I tying to sound " tough " .
Um , anyway , some bohemian Jack K./Woody G. cred . Hah hah ha ha ha hah hah ha . )

...I should say that , I'm acknowleding that my particular time (Details in my " Introducing " thread .) was fairly minor so that I don't , so to speak , seem " poser "-ish - I'm admitting it , for Pete's sakes , so that should cover that !!!!!

...It's useful to talk with someone arguing with you , and I'm not saying that " you said " everything I cite here , this is sort of my answers to " arguments I was not able to make " .
Now , at my age and at , frnakly , my lack of a " compelling " ambition - as in " I wanna be educated in THIS ! " ambition - I am rather in the position of an 18-25-er who " doesn't know what he wants to do " . So , shouldn't I accept that/flow with that ???
Now - Allegedly - if I get connected to the right sources , some " going to clooege money " could be found - or so I am told .
If I just study what Microsoft or USA Today are pushing - this year - as " the hotst , most in-demand majors that employers are hiring in NOW !!!!!!!!! " - and , whoope , have adegree in it - at 58 , say , 4/6 years after that " hottest " article and after umpteen other - much younger , and with family probably still behind them (Even emotionally .) - So , I'm supposed to do that ?????????
I posted elsewhere in " Empolyment " about my long-held vague ambition of joining the Peace Corps , or VISTA (proably more attainable)...Um , basically , I'm 53 , I'm not in any position where I will be able to start a " practical " CC this fall anyway and there's no one in the wings looking to offer help in doing that even later than that.........I have vahue ambitions of writingand/or being a filmaker but , obviosly , " That's not very practical " and , basically , while maybe trying to se what I could , possibly , build up in that I could hopefully be in a position where I could make contacts and , okay , " maybe learn something more practical "...that would not , at 50- or 60- something , leave with a nonwalkable path ?

...I'm 53 (and my records are TOTALLY! f*cked up) and I didn't go to college , really , the first time around and I have no apparent help ANYWHERE near me and I have no particular place to go , anyway , to " community : college from .
I don't have a " community " .
That's not to say that i couldn't , temporarily anyway , have one , or that I deny the proable necessity for CC , or for " doing something practical " - but don't have any " practical " in mind .
And my records are all f*cked up .
And I'm 53 .
And there absolutely no help/assistance waiting in the wings for me .

...And , frankly , all these " go to CC " plans aren't presented as any fast , more like " do 2/3 years at CC and the 2/1 at sleepaway and then you're ready to GO-GO-GO !!!!!!!!! " , so to speak ?
Yeah , but if the point - hah hah - is to show your working-class hero/credibility/earthiness status , shouldn't you go to CC 100% , rather than " phony " by putting a patina of higher-staus sleepaway on your diploma ?
This is sort of humorous , but.........
Maybe it would save some money , but it's still four years...
And , I'm 53 NOW , with nothing in the wings now...

Last edited by LeBeau; 07-27-2013 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: Posts merged for continuity
Old 08-16-2013, 01:45 PM

...To-day's San Jose paper (I am in Santa Cruz now) has a front page story about " opening elite colleges' doors to the poor "...Well , fine , but ME ?????????
I'll go read it , when my library time is up , I'll maybe go somewhere and cry
You will notice that I , NEVER! , said I had to go to an " elite " one , just acceptable/decent...
Old 08-16-2013, 01:57 PM
WINNING! Admin

PTOQ Editorial Team Member 

Donation Award 

Thanked 37,851 Times in 10,458 Posts

Quit feeling sorry for yourself or as if you are defeated. You are your own worst enemy. If you want to go to school, develop a plan of action and determine your short and long term goals and speak to an admissions counselor. As for the experience piece, get over it, you're not a kid and you have to put that shit behind you. If your aim is true then what you really want is the education for the sake of knowledge itself and/or for the benefits to your employability. At this juncture in your life you need to prioritize; one of the first courses they sign you up for will basically tell you the same thing. You can be indignant now but you'll thank me (perhaps under your breath) later... I'm just sayin'

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Patty For This Useful Post:
BydSarrett (08-16-2013), kocha79 (07-20-2015), LeBeau (08-17-2013), Onedaycloser13 (08-16-2013), Renee (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 6,456 Times in 3,301 Posts

I agree with the others, and let me tell you that I have been to both a university and a community college in my area as an adult engineering student. The university is much more pressure, much more isolation for me, and well not really geared for the adult student. The community college is a good place to start, and seriously many college students are starting there because frankly it is cheaper. I cannot tell you how many kids get their AS in Engineering in a community college and go to VA Tech and other technical schools both in and out of the state, not for any other reason but financial. The community college will require a GED/High school diploma and will probably give you a test in order to see what English and Math classes you will go into. You can get a quasi-ed college experience at a community college, depending how much you want to engulf yourself into it, they have clubs and organizations, honor societies, and such. It's your choice, you can hold on to the university dream that you would like to start off in and complain, or you can realize the university dream by going to a community college and later switching to a University. Just make sure the community college is accredited and you should be fine.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:13 PM

...Let me point out that I , very specifically , DID NOT say " I had to start at a university " , I said the opposite !!!!!!!!!
I am - would be 54 by the time anything would start , really , and , again , I have nothing else to do , why not " mess around ~ Perhaps I can find something I like/that is profitable " ?
Again , I VERY MUCH said above , " I realize it is nessecary to start at CC/NS " , okay ?????
Old 08-16-2013, 05:58 PM

...I thanked Patty because , yes , I need a plan , I have thought that myself...Now , I likely don't have many years healthy ahead of me (Even if I experience an immediate health improvement , residential likewise , and my jail problemes ~ I have outlined these all in my other posts ~ all work out somehow . But , especially with that a factor , I will refer to 54 as an earliest-possible starting time . )
It is the (attainable , anyway) dream of my lifetime to do some college , and I don't care (This is collectively addressed , not to any one person in particular .) if anyone here wants me to do it , or not !
I know that , if I died knowing I never did it , hot trears would form in my eyes - Just as they are now , essentially anyway .
With my Aspergers'-ness , I think I am rather a person who , when he wants to get something done , has to do that thing before he can move on .
College ~ University , starting it on a windy September day , etc. , is that for me .
At 54 , remember , there's really not a lot of " knock-the-world-dead " options likely open to me graduating at 58 with - even a " practical " community college - diploma . I could " find out something I want to do " at college , etc. , including , yes , possibly something " practical " if I could find out what it was somehow .
I've been homeless/near-homeless these past 17 years - I haven't really " lived a life " and I'm not 24 , 34 , or even 44 .
Old 08-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,014 Times in 7,141 Posts

For the love of God- You want to do it? Start doing it! Talk to the folks at the local adult learning annex, the city and community colleges, the job corps folks... stop "wishing" and start taking steps instead of waiting for someone to hand you an answer on a platter.
Before, during and after my own (delayed) college years, I managed to get a pretty broad education simply by talking instructors into allowing me to audit lectures.
No credit, of course, for the audits but I sure have made use of what I learned.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeBeau For This Useful Post:
kocha79 (07-20-2015)
Old 08-17-2013, 12:46 PM

...With my present physical shape (my diabetes/wound) , my legal situation (some probability of some jail time , or at least dealing with the possibility of it) , my financial troubles with California (the dunning) and my lack of money stopping my desire to leave CA , all of which I have spoken of elsewhere here , I really am not able to go further now .
Talking and planning - As I am ., here . - is what I can do .
I don't have a working cell phone , and I am homeless , I don't think adult centers , now , are going to be very receptive .
I do , in case I didn't spell it out enough , want the education , very much so .
As it happenes , all the " skills " I seem to have are fairly " useless/unemployable " ones - English/reading/et al , basically . I don't have anything in what would generally be praised as " practical " .
Again , perhaps I could discover something else , even more " employable " , with some time and leisure - But , if I'm just supposed to study what someone tells me too , without asking that person , I can't know what I want .
I am in too much of a survival/staying afloat mode to really , seriously , go to college now - And , my records , as I think I hinted at above , are all lost in a ancient brueaucratic jumble .
I believe that they could be found , but it would take much effort on someone's part (Not mmine) , and it would take someone actually willing to set aside the " Oh , just fill out an application and all your records will turn up quicker than you can say ' Skippy-dippy-dee ' !!!!!!! You know , there was a TV-movie where Bruce Willis was a homeless 'Nam vet , and one one the Redgraves was a counselor , and she just made one phone call and it was all cleared up !!!!!!!!! "
I would need to know that " the pipes were cleared " , that an application on my part would get an answer , anyway , NOT what I received before in dealings with the College-Industrial Complex , applications/etc. never replied to or otherwise thrown in the circular file - Which is what I have received before , the C-IC spitting in my eye .
I would need someone who would help me who would realize the truth , and not obsess over the skippy-dippy-dee/TV movie narrative , I know that it does not work that way in my case because of repeated - sad , tears-inducing experience , trying to go back - Even when I was younger and more energetic and I at least had the symbolic boost of my father still being alive and behind me . - My attempts to go back have all failed , disasterously , upon the alter of my lost recoreds ( And once you have gone to school/tests in the regular way YOU CERTAINLY DO NEED your records you CANNOT get anywhere without them , college-type buracracies work that way , I have found that out from - tear-provoking - experience , I would need help that WOULD find the records and generally clear the pipes so that , when an application is sent , at least I would get a fair consideration and a response - Unlike past experiences when I found out that things are wrong (I'm crying about them now .) , not obsess over the C-IC's wonderfulness and claim that all I have to do is do what blew up in my face before One More RTime , and everything will be great , it does not matter how I have found out that my records are lost , someone actually willing to do things for me .
Talking/planning , as I am now , is really all I am up/connected to do now , as above points out , I NEED HELP !!!!!!!!!!! (Yes , I realize it's not likely that what I am speaking of can be provided by anyone here , that is not the point , I mean in general .)
Old 08-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,014 Times in 7,141 Posts

You don't *think* the adult centers will be receptive but have you actually *tried* reaching out to them? You say you need help, you acknowlege that the assistance you need is probably not here at PTO but you seem unwilling to reach out to those agencies that might be able to either help or point you in the right direction- Health and Human Services, St. Vincent's, Salvation Army, food banks, homeless shelters, legal aid, Catholic Charities, low-income clinics, Senior Services Agencies, Social Security (You're almost certainly eligible for state or federal medical assistance and probably a cash stipend through SSDI).
First you need an address- A number of the agencies above can help with a stable mailing address.
Then you apply for every program available.... many now offer online application options, saving you from having to get to offices that are too often not easily accessable by foot or public transportation.
Get on waiting lists for transitional housing.
Start making moves instead of bemoaning what has not worked in the past or what you *think* won't work now.... you won't know until you've tried.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:46 PM

...Thank you , ity's a thought , however , my dunning situation in California now means that I'd likely not be eligible for any additional aid , I think (I already get SSD , but in a way - due to a theiving social services agency in San Francisco years ago , basically . - where I don't get enough at any one time to get a bus to another state ) , my toe , the jail question...When I don't have those problems , it could be done .
I believe Job Corps is only for under-31s , correct ?????????

Last edited by BydSarrett; 08-17-2013 at 05:48 PM..
Old 08-18-2013, 03:25 PM

...A few more facts/whatevs about moi .
I am writing on library stand-up " 15-min " time computers , if this turns into umpteen small entries
As I said , I have been homeless these last 17 yrs. - Or , " one-step-above "/in some " ex-homeless " program/place at times , etc.
I spent about 14 years more or less full-time in San Francisco , mostly in the " not where they shoot the romantic comedies set in SF " sort of vast?? semi-homeless ghetto of the Tenderloin/Sixth Street area .
I did a lot of my eating at the number of homeless/poor stand in line free feeds there (More then there than in the post-recession now , I believe .) , and , generally , at least in me telling myself " I'm Aspie " , I suppose I tended to lead a fairly repititiouss/doing the same things life there - Including much computer time , however , only on library/comparable computers , really , and not really building up " computer skills " , as in working with the machines - Unbelievable !
" An Aspie guy no good on computers ! Next on BREAKING STEREOTYPES: A Jewish guy who drinks and a black man who can't rap , dance , or play basketball ! "

U
h
m
m
m
m
Anyway...........
In the California General Prison Talk I have a post um titled " getting dunned by Cali..." which explains it in more detail , but , some state California board is after me to pay a MASSIVE amount of money simply for the accumulated fines from the umpteen SC hearing for my homeless tickets there that piled up and up .
I tend to think that , if I stay in California much longer and if some board " notices "/track me down more , perhaps they'd go to more length to try and suck money out of me .
For this reason , I have a tendency to think that , maybe , even hoping for any social services/" transitional husing " , for instance , as stated above , is proabably not a goer in California for me now_Or , to return to this line's top-stated subject , even trying for any educational grants !
I tend to think that state-level Cali (which as already sent me letters re: htis matter wih a bill-collector's name on it) might just refuse me/try to get te grants back .
This , it seems , might be , at least , LESS likely/further away in another state .
( Yes . I suppose the possibility of " someone will clear it up for you and you can stay in CA " exists . Granted . )

...Also , frankly , as far as " restarting school " goes , from what I have found out about the situation in CA , these are both problems:
(A) For (1) , I have found out that " get credits transferred from CC/NS to either the (#1-level) University of California system of , especially , the (#2-level) California State University system is especially rather hard - CSU especially , apparently , (which would seem to especially conflict with the " a university that ISN'T a ' big '-;evel one is better/more working class hero-ish !!! " narratiave that , heh heh , many here would seem to profess) - and , from what I have seen , it (2) appears that , even ideally , CC/NS places in CA may have some transferable credits to UC/CSU AND NOWHERE ELSE ? WTF ?
I would have tended to assume that any " standard " course would be transferable to " any " " regular " univesity anywhere in the U.S. ??????????!!!!!!!!!!??????????? Apparently not .
(B) Also , to be blunt , both the UC and CSU systems are , presently , headed WAY down in quality of instruction offered and WA-AA-AY UP in prices - yes , even " in-state " . I've had that confirmed by someone now enrolled , aside from the ceaseless press coverage of it here in CA !!!!!!!!!!!
The precise title was " Getting dunned by Cali board/Damages ? " , of the post I referred to above , telling the story of another reason to leave the Golden State .

...When I was 20 years old I was involuntarily committed (In NY State , which is one of 2 out out 50 states - Wyoming is the other one . - where it is a lot easier to commit someone involuntarily.) by my mother .
Frankly I have though " She was rather alchoholic(Sp??) hen , SHE should have been committed , she might have enjoyed it !!! " .
In a state mental hospital , a doc/whatever said " He's not good for anything but being on the backwards for the rest of his life " . (I am not saying that my parents expressed that .) I had my ` " hello , maturity " ` 21st birthday in a state loony bin .)I HATE all psychs/psycologists(Sp??) , as a (more , too) consequence , I hate them . (Um , I suppose a good one can somehow slip through . There , that " reasonable " enough ?) I'm sort of like the Scientologists (That a METAPHOR - I'm not one .).
They are my `` ha , ha ~ " class enemy " .
I was rather fucked up , I think , by massive amounts of Throazine and Mellaril - I have received sympathy when I've told that to others .
I would like to hold down/have held down , physically , some of the doctors/mental-health types who forced me to take them and stuff it DOWN THEM !!!!!!!!!!! Turnabout is fair play ~ Right ?
If you're in " the biz " I hate you ??? Well...........
I do wonder how my life might've been had I been born at a time when Aspies got diagnosed/" nice "-pinpointed treatment .
I'll never know , I guess .
Would I be more of a " kid "/less " independent "/less crusty ?
I've had 2 different " regular "/small payment inheritances stolen from me , 1 gfrom my mother's side , 1 from my father's - The Mom's side one was stolen by family members , cousins .
A social services agency in SF stole the fathers' . I have tried to get help (Since hey're ongoing interests , there's something to get back .) , but , as yet , no help - There've been reactions of " It's a family affair " for the cousins one . I think there's been some " professional coertesy "(Sp) reaction to the SF agency one .
You might think I'd be more shook by the relatives , but the agency had me hink at least the mildest thought of killing myself and leaving a note saying:
" (Name of agancy): You won " .
They just continually stonewall , BLATANTLY !
On lawyer when i was in SC said he'd helped - When there was no response from the cousin to " nice " letters that he insisted upon sending , he just decided o reward HER for stonewalling by leaving her alone and not being a lawyer ! He even admitted this:-(.
I suppose " the bast I can hope for " , realistically speaking , is , what ?????
Some " perpetual patient/SRO resident " thing , SJ is full of board & care hmes , never much having any " stuff " ever again , never traveling ever , not even to see my brother again , whom I haven't been in the same room as in 15 years ? :-(

Last edited by LeBeau; 08-18-2013 at 10:48 PM..
Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 PM

...I assume many here have heard that argument that drug addiction " freezes the person , emotionally , at the age s/he was when the addiction set in " , and perhaps that might be said of long-term involvement with the prison system , even if you're in and out some...And , maybe that might be said of being as homeless as I , which started back in 1985/6 . (Though I know I said " 17 years " . Yeah , since it started up again !)
Whe I was in jail , I did , in some talking , some " Okay , what do you think I should do with my life ? " yakking w/ my blockmates , some said...( I'm , ya know , approximated their quotes...It's , like , 3/4 months and my pocketcassette recorder was , um , somehow misplaced while I was in General Population ! I don't know that people are held to NPR/Random House-levels of " accuracy in quotes description " here / Or , they...um...ARE ??????? See ya , bros :-)!!!!!!!
" If you just want to continue to be homeless , go to Marin CA or Eugene , WA "" .
" If you want to go back to college and clear up your lost records , go to a junior college - They want your bisiness so much , they'll clear it up ! " (That could be true - I'd stay away from " advertise on Jerry Springer/Maury - the Internet widely " ones , I tend to think they would be GI Bill/grant sucking-up ripoff operations . )
" If you go to a new town , ask a homeless guy where the sheter is , you can stay for 30 days , getting the l of the land , then , after 30 days , you will have to camp out , but , then , you can be on a waiting list for housing..." ( Um , I tend to think that assumes LOTS more - stuff - available for the homeless in any given town , especially for newcomers . )
Old 09-13-2013, 03:22 PM

...Will I ever be in a position where I am not on SSD/comparable , where I have employment where I full support myself ?
At 53...seems unlikely ?????
School training could , eventually...maybe...get me there , or at least vamp along in a respectable , society-admired , way until my health/Death catches up with me...
Frankly , perhaps what I have called " real " college would be a situation where I would be more likely to get" the right " loans/grants/jobs?:-(

Last edited by BydSarrett; 09-13-2013 at 03:23 PM..
Old 09-17-2013, 07:08 PM

Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,949 Times in 3,184 Posts

I honestly don't have any advice about getting your records, but I saw this. Maybe you could check it out just to see what Graduate level courses are like? I wish you the best of luck!

Wharton Puts First-Year MBA Courses Online for Free
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wharton-puts-first-mba-courses-164555193.html

[/color][/size][/center]