Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:38 PM

Default Integration--Questions, Concerns and Info in Arizona

Due to a lawsuit, it had been decided that Arizona prisons can no longer segregate inmates based on race. This is supposed to be fully implemented by 2021 and is starting at Florence.

The upside of this is there will be incentives for inmates who comply, so I'm hoping it might mean new things like the mp3 players.

I recognize that this is going to cause a lot of stress for a lot of families but I'm trying to focus on the positive.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-10-2016, 10:42 PM
Spook's Lazy Butt

this is great! ithink, living in the phoenix area its important i learn and know as much as i can with whats going on in our state system with friends from the street inside right now, this is a good thign to keep up on

Old 02-11-2016, 02:46 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 9,383 Times in 3,954 Posts

I think its good to integrate and encourage cooperation.How ever it will be hard to stop the inmates segregating themselves.Lets hope its a start at more understanding and less conflict.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Old 02-11-2016, 05:52 AM

Thanked 11,018 Times in 5,974 Posts

Expect issues in the beginning and then smoldering issues for many years afterwards...we went through this in Texas beginning in the late 80's. There are some who are deemed ineligible for in-cell integration and they have really clamped down on how someone gets the restriction, effectively requiring someone to have been a provable victim of a crime committed by another race.

Most units found it far easier to allow offenders to request particular persons with whom they felt comfortable celling with than to simply say 'you are living with him.'

Hopefully Arizona does the smart thing and enlists the aid of States that have been through this before...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (02-11-2016), HisPrettyBird (02-27-2016), lizlizzie2 (02-25-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 08:29 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,742 Posts

Is there a news release or paperwork on this? It's starting at Florence Complex?

The inmates will segregate themselves on 3 yards and higher. It's just the way it is. And if the state made the dumb decision to say "you're living with this guy" especially of a different race it would quickly prove fatal. I don't think most of the inmates want to be integrated. I know for sure my husband wouldn't want to be.

Furthermore, I don't think Florence or Eyman (in Florence) is the place to start. Maybe start on calmer yards and work from there. There is already tension across the state between races, why add to it?

***EDIT*** I found the link. I believe this will be deadly. Both to inmates and staff. The state should be very very careful about how they do this.
"The state has denied that its policies call for racial segregation, saying that dormitories, or about 85 percent of prison beds, are already racially integrated. The Department of Corrections says that rolling out sudden racial integration of two-man cells could be potentially deadly.

"The Department will work with diligence and good faith in a measured, methodical, and prudently cautious manner over the next 5˝ years as set forth in the Court's Order. Our primary concern will remain the safety of uniformed and non-uniformed staff, the public, and the inmates, and the safe, secure, and orderly operation of the state prison system," Department of Corrections spokesman Andrew Wilder said.

Jorgenson had questioned whether the large-scale changes to the way state prisons house inmates and assign them work are necessary after just one inmate filed a lawsuit. She said the changes would require a lot of resources.

Assistant Attorney General Paul Carter said making changes will avoid future lawsuits by other inmates.

Prison officials have argued that racially based housing assignments help keep peace among inmates, especially among those who are in race-based gangs.

But attorneys of Rudisill said that was an invalid argument."

Last edited by Fridyrr.Likn; 02-11-2016 at 08:40 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (02-25-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 08:46 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

"The ADC must also "institute incentives for inmate compliance in units at the time of implementation," including offering MP3 players, games and added visitation and recreation privileges, according to the stipulations."

http://www.courthousenews.com/2016/0...sons-ended.htm
Old 02-12-2016, 05:51 AM

I don't pretend to understand the internal politics of a prison yard or housing, but I have heard from several inmates that this will not work. I wonder if the judge who made the ruling based on one man's lawsuit actually researched how this is going to cause so much trouble not only with the inmates but also the DOC officers and guards who have to try and keep things under control?
The incentives are a really nice idea, but the problem seems much deeper rooted that that. Just my opinion and I am hoping I am wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Franbake For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franbake View Post
I don't pretend to understand the internal politics of a prison yard or housing, but I have heard from several inmates that this will not work. I wonder if the judge who made the ruling based on one man's lawsuit actually researched how this is going to cause so much trouble not only with the inmates but also the DOC officers and guards who have to try and keep things under control?
The incentives are a really nice idea, but the problem seems much deeper rooted that that. Just my opinion and I am hoping I am wrong.
Absolutely concur that the issues are deep-rooted. I would not say it WON'T work, but it takes time...again, evidence Texas where we went through this many years ago.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:59 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

I will say that this will not work. AZ is so overcrowded that they do not have the max space or hole space to put the inmates that will not sign the agreement going around and there will be thousands that refuse to sign. There are only 111 vacancies on 5 yards state wide... They are ALL sex offender, PC, and medical/mh.This WILL be very deadly not only to inmates but to staff as well. ADC knows that, they did not want this and now the very lives of thousands of inmates as well as COs will be put on the line... For what? For one guy who didn't like the way it's always been. This is disastrous to any inmate or family of that lives by old school convict values and honor. And it's not even so much an issue that many of them refuse to house with another race... It's the fact that if they do higher ups will order the hit on them. The politics here aren't something to mess with like this. If they want to try this on 2 yards then fine... But starting on 3 and 4 yards... I pray to the Gods my husband makes it through the next 5 and a half years alive and without getting more time...even if he has to do that time on a max yard.
lizlizzie2 (02-25-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

What I want to know is what happens when they start doing this and people start getting killed... How is the state going to deal with the lawsuits from the families? Unless they are going to set an exemption for everyone who has a racial note in their file. If a white supremacist tells them to not but another race in his cell... And they do... And he kills him...the state is liable. How does that work?
Old 02-12-2016, 09:14 PM

"old school convict values and honor"? That sounds like a crock of warmed over excrement to justify membership in prison gangs and to continue patterns of violence that suggest someone is not a viable candidate for release at ANY point in time.

Post-Lamar, we still had incidents but the separation on the yards was slowly lessened . We also did not have an upsurge in incidents in the cell blocks although disciplinary reports for fighting came with an extra page that had to be completed for the purposes of tracking and reporting to the Court.

Lawsuits from families won't get anywhere. Aside from the lack of standing except and unless there WAS a fatality, they are going to have to demonstrate negligence by the State. And that is if you can pierce the immunity in the first place...at which point the litigation still fails in most instances precisely because a State is not negligent when they are following the order of a Federal court, no matter how misguided that federal court might have been.

Oh, and identified gang members (which an actual 'white supremacist' should be) shouldn't be in general population in the first place. There is a reason MOST agencies place those individuals in Administrative Segregation/Security Detention/single-celled environment even in the face of people whining about the use of such housing...
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (02-25-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 12:39 PM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,039 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
"old school convict values and honor"? That sounds like a crock of warmed over excrement to justify membership in prison gangs and to continue patterns of violence that suggest someone is not a viable candidate for release at ANY point in time.

Post-Lamar, we still had incidents but the separation on the yards was slowly lessened . We also did not have an upsurge in incidents in the cell blocks although disciplinary reports for fighting came with an extra page that had to be completed for the purposes of tracking and reporting to the Court.

Lawsuits from families won't get anywhere. Aside from the lack of standing except and unless there WAS a fatality, they are going to have to demonstrate negligence by the State. And that is if you can pierce the immunity in the first place...at which point the litigation still fails in most instances precisely because a State is not negligent when they are following the order of a Federal court, no matter how misguided that federal court might have been.

Oh, and identified gang members (which an actual 'white supremacist' should be) shouldn't be in general population in the first place. There is a reason MOST agencies place those individuals in Administrative Segregation/Security Detention/single-celled environment even in the face of people whining about the use of such housing...
In Arizona, not all identified gang members are locked down. They are out walking around GP 2 yards. This practice WILL cause problems.
Fridyrr.Likn (02-29-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 09:34 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Lol I was raised by an old school convict. There's definitely a set of values that have nothing at all to do with being in a gang, which neither my father or my husband are. BTW... My husband has no violent crimes and my father was out of prison without incident for 19 years until his death.

AZ does not have all validated gang members locked down, many of them are walking 3 and 4 yards, of all races. Furthermore, there are tons who have been labeled white supremacist because of their faith who have never committed any crime against another race so your logic there is flawed.
ScoobysGirl69 (09-12-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinir.Fridyrr View Post
Lol I was raised by an old school convict. There's definitely a set of values that have nothing at all to do with being in a gang, which neither my father or my husband are. BTW... My husband has no violent crimes and my father was out of prison without incident for 19 years until his death.

AZ does not have all validated gang members locked down, many of them are walking 3 and 4 yards, of all races. Furthermore, there are tons who have been labeled white supremacist because of their faith who have never committed any crime against another race so your logic there is flawed.
It isn't flawed...there are PLENTY of people of ALL races who are capable of getting along with someone of another race if it avoids disciplinary sanction (which impacts release) or there is some other benefit that comes from doing so (even if just a better job).

I've been through this...working AT the unit level as the federal order was implemented. I was involved in classification decisions that were based upon the federal order. And, when I was at the regional and departmental level, I was also involved in other reviews of issues associated with the federal order. I dare say that I have the experience upon which to speak...especially as to how an agency can best implement the integration requirements in the beginning.

Oh, and ironically, prison violence is at a LOWER level post-Lamar than before...

If people don't like it, then they can add it to the list of reasons to quit committing offenses that carry with them the risk of incarceration. It isn't THAT difficult to avoid conviction for a felony...
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
HisPrettyBird (02-27-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 11:48 PM

Honestly, I don't think it will be as catastrophic as you may think and you know these guys always find workarounds. And though I was surprised that they're starting at the higher custody yards, it makes the most sense since gang activity is greatly less at the lower levels. From what my husband is telling me, they're leaving out the part about incentives and only saying that there will be stricter disciplinary actions against those who fail to comply. Typical ADC style.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:33 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

The word has already been sent regarding this within the AZ GP yards. It WILL be catastrophic. Guaranteed. There WILL be fatalities when they push this, both inmate and staff.
IzzyLouWho (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 03:05 PM

Yes I believe it will be catastrophic and people will be killed, but I believe it will happen so gradually that they will learn from their mistakes and the inmates will learn to live with it. The law gives the prisons plenty of leeway to figure out what works and what doesn't. It is at their discretion and their race is only one factor. At least that is what I read in this.

"Under the program, which the department has until 2021 to fully implement, inmates in Arizona will no longer be assigned cells or jobs based on race or national origin, unless integrating a particular inmate is determined to be a security risk.
"Any consideration of race in housing assignments shall be permitted only when narrowly tailored to address a compelling state interest, and even then may be evaluated only as one factor in connection with a comprehensive and objective assessment of any inmate's individual circumstances," according to the stipulations. "As a result, an inmate's race shall not be used as a primary determining factor for housing assignments."

I think it's good for them to learn tolerance before they get out. Locking them up doesn't teach them that.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:18 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Yes, it's suppose to be done in 5 phases:

Phase Dates Units
I 1/1/16-1/1/17 ASPC-Tucson, Santa Rita Unit
ASPC-Florence, North Unit Yard II
II 1/1/17-3/1/18 All minimum/medium custody female units
All minimum/medium protective custody units
All dormitory sex offender units
III 3/1/18-6/1/19 All minimum/medium custody general population units
IV 6/1/19-6/1/20 All maximum custody units
V 6/1/20-6/1/21 All close custody units

Last edited by Fridyrr.Likn; 02-29-2016 at 03:37 PM..
Old 03-31-2016, 07:25 AM

The below named reporter is seeking to interview inmates with regard to their opinions about the newly ordered racial integration plan.

Gabby Abbott is a reporter with Cronkite News/Arizona PBS 8. She would like to hear all perspectives on the changes -- pro and con --and would like to hear from a variety of inmates of racial and ethnic diversity. She can grant anonymity in the published story if necessary, and would be able to conduct either in-person or telephonic interviews, as arranged by DOC. She needs a specific name and DOC #, however, in order to request an interview with any inmate.

If you have a family member or loved one in prison who has an opinion -- one way or the other -- about the integration of Arizona's prison population and would be willing to express it to a reporter, please use the contact information provided below to speak with Gabby.

Please feel free to call her at XXXXXXX or email her at XXXXXXXXX contact info removed per PTO policy, PM member for info

Last edited by miamac; 03-31-2016 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: remove contact info per PTO policy
Old 03-31-2016, 11:41 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,048 Times in 6,852 Posts

Quote:
The below named reporter is seeking to interview inmates with regard to their opinions about the newly ordered racial integration plan.

Gabby Abbott is a reporter with Cronkite News/Arizona PBS 8. She would like to hear all perspectives on the changes -- pro and con --and would like to hear from a variety of inmates of racial and ethnic diversity. She can grant anonymity in the published story if necessary, and would be able to conduct either in-person or telephonic interviews, as arranged by DOC. She needs a specific name and DOC #, however, in order to request an interview with any inmate.

If you have a family member or loved one in prison who has an opinion -- one way or the other -- about the integration of Arizona's prison population and would be willing to express it to a reporter, please use the contact information provided below to speak with Gabby.

Please feel free to call her at XXXXXXX or email her at XXXXXXXXX contact info removed per PTO policy, PM member for info
Advisory for PTO Members Regarding Requests from Journalists & Members of the Media, and Students/Researchers:

PTO welcomes journalists and/or members of the media to learn and educate themselves about prisons, prisoners, and their loved ones, as well as students and researchers doing research on these subjects.

We will, occasionally, allow the media or students/researchers to request information and personal stories from our members. However, PTO does not endorse any journalist, member of the media, story/report, media outlet, student/researcher, or educational/research institution.

If you decide to communicate with a media representative or a researcher, then you assume all of the risks involved. PTO is in no way liable for the outcome of the story/report/paper. Communication with members of the media and students/researchers is completely voluntarily and PTO holds no responsibility for the consequences of that communication.

PTO does not screen or authenticate any person(s) claiming to be from the media or from an educational/research institution, nor does PTO authenticate their motivations for obtaining the information.

As always, the disclosure of personal information (either yours or someone that is incarcerated) may have some serious repercussions. PTO has no way of predicting how the media or any researcher will present your story or that of your loved one. Any relationship with the media or any researchers is to be entered into at your own risk.

If you receive an unsolicited email or private message from a person claiming to be from the media or researching information for an educational or research institution, report it to the PTO Administration immediately.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:11 PM

Thank you for the disclaimer. Feel free to remove if it is in violation.

Came to me through another source and felt it could be share in this blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Advisory for PTO Members Regarding Requests from Journalists & Members of the Media, and Students/Researchers:

PTO welcomes journalists and/or members of the media to learn and educate themselves about prisons, prisoners, and their loved ones, as well as students and researchers doing research on these subjects.

We will, occasionally, allow the media or students/researchers to request information and personal stories from our members. However, PTO does not endorse any journalist, member of the media, story/report, media outlet, student/researcher, or educational/research institution.

If you decide to communicate with a media representative or a researcher, then you assume all of the risks involved. PTO is in no way liable for the outcome of the story/report/paper. Communication with members of the media and students/researchers is completely voluntarily and PTO holds no responsibility for the consequences of that communication.

PTO does not screen or authenticate any person(s) claiming to be from the media or from an educational/research institution, nor does PTO authenticate their motivations for obtaining the information.

As always, the disclosure of personal information (either yours or someone that is incarcerated) may have some serious repercussions. PTO has no way of predicting how the media or any researcher will present your story or that of your loved one. Any relationship with the media or any researchers is to be entered into at your own risk.

If you receive an unsolicited email or private message from a person claiming to be from the media or researching information for an educational or research institution, report it to the PTO Administration immediately.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:12 AM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,039 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for the disclaimer. Feel free to remove if it is in violation.

Came to me through another source and felt it could be share in this blog.
I received the same information from Middle Ground, so I'm sure it's legitimate.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:34 AM

Default Arizona prison integration/desegregation

Anybody have any info on how this has been working out? I've heard they have started trying to implement it at a few complexes with little luck. Just curious if anybody knows anything about it.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:47 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

I haven't heard about it being implemented on anything but PC and SO yards with much luck. Word from Stiner is that nobody signs the agreement and nobody houses with another race or the inmates will handle it. Don't know though. I don't really have anyone I know on 2 yards and they haven't hit the 3+ yards yet to my knowledge.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinir.Fridyrr View Post
I haven't heard about it being implemented on anything but PC and SO yards with much luck. Word from Stiner is that nobody signs the agreement and nobody houses with another race or the inmates will handle it. Don't know though. I don't really have anyone I know on 2 yards and they haven't hit the 3+ yards yet to my knowledge.
Hmm. My brother is in rincon and says they're trying to do it at Santa rita