Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Hepatitis C
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hepatitis C Living with it, inside prison and out in the world.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 PM

Thanked 5,157 Times in 2,377 Posts
Default Standards for Treatment of Hep C for the Incarcerated

There are specific guidelines for treatment for the incarcerated who have a diagnosis of Hep C.

These guidelines are followed in state prisons and federal prisons.

To know which catagory he falls into, you need to know the genotype as the treatment plan varies depending on genotype.

The treatment is not for everyone. There are many, many horrible side effects to the treatment as well as a number of conditions that would make this a bad choice for the patient. For example, Interferon does not work if there is cirrhosis of the liver- so that needs to be ruled out.

Patients who will be treated while in prison are not eligible for work program. The reason is due to the enormous side effects and there is no getting around that.

Patients up for parole or release are also not eligible. The reason for that is because it is bad medicine and unethical to partially treat a patient. So they don't. Some people get mad about that but that is just the responsible way to treat any condition- not partial.

So if he has genotype B and is not on work release, not up for parole or release, does not have cirrhosis and meets all other criteria, he can be treated for 6 months. At the end of 6 months, blood levels will be done to determine the effect of the treatment.

If he is better- wonderful- the interferon worked, and if there is no improvement, the medication did not work and will not be given again in prison OR on the outside. Non responders are non-responders regardless of their address.

If he has Genotype A, 1 or 2, and is not eligible for work program, and not due for parole or release for 18 months, he can be treated for 1 year. Genotype A is the most resistent type and requires more time to determine effect. Again, one must qualify by not having any of the conditions such as cirrhosis that render the medication too risky.

Interferon is weight based. It will NOT work on a patient who weighs more than 180 pounds! This is not my rules, so don't come back and yell at me. It is just a fact.

The FDA approved Interferon at the lowest dose available which makes the weight of the patient a factor. Many doctors do not read the attached circular and do prescribe it for patients bigger than 180 pounds and are then stunned to learn it did not work.

This is a very serious medication with many horrible side effects most of which the prison does not bother to treat. For that reason, I always say to be careful what you ask for.

Spend some time in this forum reading about the real stories of treatment and you will quickly learn that treatment in prison is not the best idea.

If there is any way a patient can wait until release for treatment to begin, that is always my reccomendation because the risk of being ignored during the side effects is too great.

Always do a benefit to risk analysis. If the risk of harm outweighs the benefit, then it is not a good idea even if it is available.

There are new treatments that have recently been approved by the FDA. There is not enough information yet in the treated population to warrant changing the current guidelines. This will take about 5 years more to decide if the new treatments are beneficial meaning does it work? And second, what is the long term safety profile of the new treatment? It is too new to know so please do not ask for the new treatment because it is not available to inmates yet or to many other folks either. Please do not yell at me.

My very own doctor does not recommend the new treatment at this time for anyone who has less than $160,000 in the bank that they are willing to spend on the new treatment. It is not yet covered by any insurance and the price quoted is an under estimate of the actual cost and does not include the cost of treatment for side effects.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2014, 09:42 PM

I did the 'new treatment' 2 years ago and I did not have to spend a nickel....my insurance paid for ALL OF IT......Just wanted to share that....I was not incarcerated, I had a private policy through my employer. If I had paid for it out of pocket it would have been $60K.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TXInquisition For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-15-2014), HisWife401 (08-11-2016), only1love (02-15-2014), xolady (07-17-2016)
Old 02-15-2014, 12:09 PM

Thanked 5,157 Times in 2,377 Posts

I am speaking about the new treatment that was just FDA approved in December 2013.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:42 PM

Default Help for Hep C

We got a call last Friday from some missions hospital doctor telling us that my boyfriend was in the hospital. They found "a large mass on his liver" which usually means cancer and they wanted to prepare us for the fact that he probably wouldnt make it. I dont understand this at all, or maybe I do. They have done several biopsies in the last 2 years,how did they not see this mass. How did he get here. We have been waiting on a phone call for over a week letting us know his condition. We havent been able to see or talk to him. Im so damn angry at SCDC. It makes no sense to me. I dont know that Im asking anything here I just needed to tell somebody. They do not get the right medical attention in prison. They just dont care about them. I know he's made mistakes but he was paying his debt, he's still a human being. Why was he denied hep treatment, its like they just waited for him to get this sick. I just dont understand any of this
Old 07-17-2016, 08:01 PM

Thanked 5,863 Times in 3,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlccreg View Post
We got a call last Friday from some missions hospital doctor telling us that my boyfriend was in the hospital. They found "a large mass on his liver" which usually means cancer and they wanted to prepare us for the fact that he probably wouldnt make it. I dont understand this at all, or maybe I do. They have done several biopsies in the last 2 years,how did they not see this mass. How did he get here. We have been waiting on a phone call for over a week letting us know his condition. We havent been able to see or talk to him. Im so damn angry at SCDC. It makes no sense to me. I dont know that Im asking anything here I just needed to tell somebody. They do not get the right medical attention in prison. They just dont care about them. I know he's made mistakes but he was paying his debt, he's still a human being. Why was he denied hep treatment, its like they just waited for him to get this sick. I just dont understand any of this
My husband passed away in October 2015 of Colon Cancer his intestines ruptured and they did emergency surgery found this mass and never removed it, he died approximately 13 months after. You can bet some jack ass in the prison medical carrier is responsible for not treating him. I hope and pray for your LO.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
My husband passed away in October 2015 of Colon Cancer his intestines ruptured and they did emergency surgery found this mass and never removed it, he died approximately 13 months after. You can bet some jack ass in the prison medical carrier is responsible for not treating him. I hope and pray for your LO.

Its just not humane, I just dont understand how anyone can just sit back and know someone needs some kind of treatment, and refuse them. I dont know I just cant understand it.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:21 PM

And I am sorry for your loss, Im sure it hasnt been easy for you. Praying for you as well.