Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Hepatitis C
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hepatitis C Living with it, inside prison and out in the world.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:26 AM

I was told there was a 2% chance of transmitting it to the child. And your viral load does not play in the factor. I have had this for 4 years now, and I have a close to 3 year old daughter who does not have the disease.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2007, 01:20 PM
OSTransfers are wrong!!!!

I have a friend who was released from prison last year and he has had hep c since 1999, he had the interfreon treatment in prison, then it went away and then it came back on stronger then ever. they said they cant afford the treatment and now that he is out he cant afford the meds. He throws up every day at least once sometimes more. The doctor recommended he smoke weed so he got a medicial license now for that. He says he is in the begining of stage 3 even though his viral load was okay the last time. Does that mean without meds he could die soon? He says he has about 5 years left. After reading some of the post it seems some people live along time.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:42 AM

Smile Hep C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebkrg
We will start to compile a list of "What to do..." and "What not to do..." if you have one of the Hepatitis viruses...

I also realize that for our loved ones inside the walls, some of these recommendations will not be possible. We can however steer them to the best possible options. More of these recommendations will be of value to those we know that are not behind the walls.

(Co-Moderators - please edit THIS POST and continue to list under my start here. It will be easier as a reference if we can keep all the variables in the first post and allow the replies to be additional information - we can pull that information into this first post too!)

What to do if you have Hep C

Milk Thistle
Licorice Root (Not with high blood pressure)
Eat a diet high in RAW vegetables and fruit (Organic to avoid chemicals and pesticides if possible)
Drink 'green' drinks - carrot juice and beet juice (get a juicer)
Get plenty of rest
Drink 6+ glasses of water a day - as pure as you can get.

Since the cost of interferon and ribavarin is so prohibitive to many people, especially if you do not have medical insurance, it is important that you look into herbal remedies and vitamin supplements that will fortify your liver.

DO RESEARCH on all of the following, that may benefit you:

Vitamin B12
Vitamin B6
Vitamin C
Vitamin E
Betacarotene - NOT Vitamin A (There is a difference)
Folic Acid
Milk Thistle
Dandelion Root
Chicory
Vervain
Astalagus
Licorice Root (This one should NOT be taken if you have high blood pressure. Otherwise it is very beneficial to the liver.)

What not to do if you have Hep C

Consume NO alcohol - NONE
Avoid sugar, fats and highly processed foods
Avoid raw fish and shellfish
Avoid animal protein - organic (free range) is better than store bought if you must eat meat! Store bought is full of antibiotics and growth hormones and just stuff.
Do not take any drugs that are not prescribed by your doctor
Do not take Tylenol or NSAID's (Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) And think twice before taking aspirin and iboprofen, also, but take them INSTEAD of tylenol, if you need to.
Quit smoking
Do not smoke Marijuana
Do not do other Illicit drugs
Do not take supplements with IRON This is what Hep C viruses use to replicate!!
Do not take CELANDINE
Do not take Chapparel - INCREASES the RATE of liver damage.
Do not take Comfrey - obstructs blood flow to the liver, increasing the rate of fibrosis and cirrhosis damge
Do not take Germander
Do not take Lobelia
Do not take Yohimbe
Do not take Cod Liver Oil

A perscription for our loved ones if they have Hep C

We realize that the products above are not going to be available for our loved ones inside of the walls. Many of them have vitamins available and this is a good thing, but they sould request vitamins without Iron.

In general what would be appropriate to advise our loved ones is to eat as healthy as possible. Eat the 'whole' foods that are prepared in the prison chow hall. Eat as many fruits and vegetables as possible and slow down on the meat. If they can have raw fruits and vegetables that is better. Drink water - lots of water - over koolaid or any other sugar rich drink like soda. Avoid soda and koolaid all together if possible. If there is a choice of brown bread over white - choose the brown or whole wheat. Avoid all candy, chocolate, processed foods, chips, honey buns, and all the chemical rich packaged foods - get rid of all of that from the diet if possible. (I am not saying that the occasional weak moment won't happen, but for the rule - avoid) Ask them to quit smoking - this will have more health benefits than just saving the liver.

Basically look at everything that they put into their mouths as food or drink. If it is not a 'whole' food then don't eat it. Avoid anything that is processed and packaged like junk food. Avoid sugar and chemical additives.

This will not be easy since our loved ones do not necessarily have control over the food that they eat, but they can eat as healthy as possible given the circumstance.

Your liver has to process each and every chemical that you put through your body so if you avoid the processed chemicals you are giving your liver a fighting chance. If you overburden it with more than necessary then it is constantly challenged.
One thing the inmates could do is stop giving and receiving tattoos in prison, they mindlessly allow dirty needles into their arms, and wonder why they all Hep C and worse.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:04 AM
the Hair Jedi

Safer sex clearly not an option if I want to get pregnant.

Real risk of contracting the virus over a 20 year period of monogamy with an infected partner is considered less than 5%. So, yeah, I'll be "safer" most of the time, but when it comes time to make babies I'm not gonna sweat it too much.

cheers!
spooky
Old 02-17-2008, 10:21 AM

THere is a very awesome and informative website called www.hcvadvocate.org and they have newsletters with serious medical advancements with this disease as well as simple explanations about everything. The prison my man is at, has no medical info, pamphlets or books to give them. I emailed this place and asked for them to send my fiance newsletters info.....and they did. Awesome website.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:12 AM
nice

I give you all props on the information, thanks alot, I will do more researching on this hep C desease! I have a loved one with it, has had it a few years!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:01 PM

Dr. Robert Gish, (hepotologist) leading Hep C expert in the world in the mid '90's RX'd Ibrophen for Hep C pt.s It was found that it actually helped with inflammation of the liver. Also, Flaxseed Oil helps immensely. I was taken off of the Interferon/Riboviron experimental study due to the fact that Flaxseed Oil took down my SGOT's, etc. When I went off the Flaxseed Oil, everything went hay wired again.

You also HAVE to have a liver biospy in order to give a factual reading of what stage of Fibrosis or Chirrois you are in. Blood test tell nothing. You can be very, very ill and not show symptons at all. Some folks are very ill and their liver is only in Fibrosis stage 2 (my case).
Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 AM

I am wondering about sex with an infected person... yes or no?
Old 06-09-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars above View Post

if he or she on treatment then use precautions you can not risk a pregnancy..The Pills affect the fetus and can damage it...

There is no risk to normal sexual practices if no blood involved...

I have no problems having sex with my husband hepC it never worrys me...Px

Now run a online Hepatitis C forum to help others with this virus.

http://hepcforum.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php
The Following User Says Thank You to CornwallPixie For This Useful Post:
Stars above (06-13-2008)
Old 06-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Forever his Juliet

I have had hep c since 1992 and have never had any problems-Thanks God!! I also have a almost 14 year old son that was born via emergency c-section cause i was hemorging to death(so lots of blood contact) and tested negative at the age of 10. My internal medicine doc said that there's about 10% of hep c patients that never experience any side effects with this diease.

I was taught that one hour equals 60 minutes and that one minute equals 60 seconds. They never taught me that one second without you, lasts forever

Old 06-12-2008, 11:52 AM
No Longer His Prisoner

Hi everyone! My husband is newly diagnosed. I have been reading about the sexual contact risk, or lack there of. I know that pregnancy is not an option while he's on treatment.

My question is, what about after treatment? How long should we wait? We were planning on just letting it happen naturally. Now we actually have to calculate this. So is there a certain time range after all the treatment is out of his system?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:38 AM

Taken from the webpage of the manufacturers of the pills used in treatment... Hence the warnings...

What is COPEGUS?
COPEGUS is a medicine that works by slowing down the growth of the virus. COPEGUS should be taken with PEGASYS to fight the virus. Do not take COPEGUS by itself.
COPEGUS (Ribavirin, USP) can be extremely harmful and cause birth defects in an unborn baby. Female patients and the female partners of male patients should avoid getting pregnant. Ribavirin is known to cause anemia (low red blood cells), which can make heart disease worse. Also, ribavirin can harm your DNA and possibly cause cancer (see medication guide for more information and warnings).
Who should not take PEGASYS and COPEGUS?
Do not take PEGASYS alone or with COPEGUS if:
  • You are pregnant or your partner is pregnant
  • You or your partner plans to get pregnant during therapy or within 6 months after treatment ends
  • You are breastfeeding
  • You have hepatitis caused by your immune system (autoimmune hepatitis)
  • You have unstable or severe liver disease before or during treatment
  • You are allergic to alpha interferons or any of the ingredients in PEGASYS and COPEGUS
  • You have abnormal red blood cells (caused by conditions like sickle-cell anemia or thalassemia major)
What if I am pregnant or thinking about having a baby?
If you are a woman who could get pregnant, you must take pregnancy tests before, during and for 6 months after treatment ends to make sure you are not pregnant.
During treatment and for 6 months after treatment, female and male patients must:
  • Use two forms of birth control (one being a condom with spermicide)
  • Tell your doctor right away if you or your partner becomes pregnant. You or your doctor should also call the Ribavirin Pregnancy Registry at 1-800-593-2214

Now run a online Hepatitis C forum to help others with this virus.

http://hepcforum.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php
Old 12-01-2008, 09:37 PM
JESUS LOVES ME

Default Criminal

When I taught prevention in southern cal prisons, jails...I begged the system to end this problem by SELLING disposable kits...available for pennies....they laughed at me. I'd started a letter writing campaign, but I'm sure my man would pay the price. THEY know how to stop the spread of this....so whose the criminal here. MOST of those infected...will be back in general population someday....infecting others. CRIMINAL !!! keep up the good work. This cause...needs all the help it can get...When you prevent HEPC, you prevent HIV and all those other nasty bugs out there...take care...Pamela

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebkrg View Post
We will start to compile a list of "What to do..." and "What not to do..." if you have one of the Hepatitis viruses...

I also realize that for our loved ones inside the walls, some of these recommendations will not be possible. We can however steer them to the best possible options. More of these recommendations will be of value to those we know that are not behind the walls.

(Co-Moderators - please edit THIS POST and continue to list under my start here. It will be easier as a reference if we can keep all the variables in the first post and allow the replies to be additional information - we can pull that information into this first post too!)

What to do if you have Hep C

Milk Thistle
Licorice Root (Not with high blood pressure)
Eat a diet high in RAW vegetables and fruit (Organic to avoid chemicals and pesticides if possible)
Drink 'green' drinks - carrot juice and beet juice (get a juicer)
Get plenty of rest
Drink 6+ glasses of water a day - as pure as you can get.

Since the cost of interferon and ribavarin is so prohibitive to many people, especially if you do not have medical insurance, it is important that you look into herbal remedies and vitamin supplements that will fortify your liver.

DO RESEARCH on all of the following, that may benefit you:

Vitamin B12
Vitamin B6
Vitamin C
Vitamin E
Betacarotene - NOT Vitamin A (There is a difference)
Folic Acid
Milk Thistle
Dandelion Root
Chicory
Vervain
Astalagus
Licorice Root (This one should NOT be taken if you have high blood pressure. Otherwise it is very beneficial to the liver.)

What not to do if you have Hep C

Consume NO alcohol - NONE
Avoid sugar, fats and highly processed foods
Avoid raw fish and shellfish
Avoid animal protein - organic (free range) is better than store bought if you must eat meat! Store bought is full of antibiotics and growth hormones and just stuff.
Do not take any drugs that are not prescribed by your doctor
Do not take Tylenol or NSAID's (Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) And think twice before taking aspirin and iboprofen, also, but take them INSTEAD of tylenol, if you need to.
Quit smoking
Do not smoke Marijuana
Do not do other Illicit drugs
Do not take supplements with IRON This is what Hep C viruses use to replicate!!
Do not take CELANDINE
Do not take Chapparel - INCREASES the RATE of liver damage.
Do not take Comfrey - obstructs blood flow to the liver, increasing the rate of fibrosis and cirrhosis damge
Do not take Germander
Do not take Lobelia
Do not take Yohimbe
Do not take Cod Liver Oil

A perscription for our loved ones if they have Hep C

We realize that the products above are not going to be available for our loved ones inside of the walls. Many of them have vitamins available and this is a good thing, but they sould request vitamins without Iron.

In general what would be appropriate to advise our loved ones is to eat as healthy as possible. Eat the 'whole' foods that are prepared in the prison chow hall. Eat as many fruits and vegetables as possible and slow down on the meat. If they can have raw fruits and vegetables that is better. Drink water - lots of water - over koolaid or any other sugar rich drink like soda. Avoid soda and koolaid all together if possible. If there is a choice of brown bread over white - choose the brown or whole wheat. Avoid all candy, chocolate, processed foods, chips, honey buns, and all the chemical rich packaged foods - get rid of all of that from the diet if possible. (I am not saying that the occasional weak moment won't happen, but for the rule - avoid) Ask them to quit smoking - this will have more health benefits than just saving the liver.

Basically look at everything that they put into their mouths as food or drink. If it is not a 'whole' food then don't eat it. Avoid anything that is processed and packaged like junk food. Avoid sugar and chemical additives.

This will not be easy since our loved ones do not necessarily have control over the food that they eat, but they can eat as healthy as possible given the circumstance.

Your liver has to process each and every chemical that you put through your body so if you avoid the processed chemicals you are giving your liver a fighting chance. If you overburden it with more than necessary then it is constantly challenged.

"Building more prisons to address crime is like building more grave yards to address a fatal disease".

-Robert Gangis
Executive Director Correctional Association
of New York
The Following User Says Thank You to pamelalynn For This Useful Post:
LionessLove (07-16-2009)
Old 12-01-2008, 09:45 PM
JESUS LOVES ME

Default Stayin safe...easy and fun !!!!

Sex great...as long as you keep it wrapped, right way, every single time...use dental damns for oral sex....protect yourself from his bodily fluids....blood, semen, breast milk...oh wait....not FROM your guy....vaginal fluid....keep it wrapped....free condoms available at all AIDS PROJECT offices and by federal law...your local health department. THe AIDS PROJECTS have great condoms...and dental damns...colors, flavors...can teach you ways to make it fun....for 20 years...I've been teaching people how to use condoms right way every time....condoms have expiration dates....check them....don't store in your wallet...your glove box....use only latex or polyurethene...theres a great female condom out there....fits inside, like the OLD FASHIONED diaphargm....squeeks alittle, but a great way to protect yourself...NEVER use both (male and female) condom together...two is not better than one in this case....friction causes condoms to break...USE PLENTY of lubrication...also available FREE, most AIDS PROJECT offices....any more questions....I can even teach you to put them on in very intersting ways...make it fun...won't be so hard to do....female condoms...available from FEMALEHEALTH.org....Pamela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars above View Post

"Building more prisons to address crime is like building more grave yards to address a fatal disease".

-Robert Gangis
Executive Director Correctional Association
of New York
Old 12-05-2008, 11:58 PM

Thanked 5,157 Times in 2,377 Posts
Default Interferon and Multiple Sclerosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud grannie View Post
A family member was given interfreon a year and half ago--now they have MS--her Dr is researching the side effects of interfreon because interfreon does not stop attacking the body after all the cancer or Hep cell are destroyed. The medical community knows it does continue to do some damage but not sure if MS is one possibile side effect or not--have any of you heard about or experienced any side effect from this med that caused neurophaty or MS etc.
Thanks for your help
Proud grannie

Interferon does not cause Multiple Sclerosis. In fact it is one of the medicatons used to treat the disease.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Banned

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,968 Posts

From what my doctor has told me the chances of contracting HepC from a infected partner if very very rare. HepC is not transfered from bodliy fluids it is transfered from blood to blood contact. I am not saying you can not contract it from sex but it is very rare unless you are having very rough sex that makes you bleed. My doctor and other people I know who have partners who are infected have told me that they or in the case of my doctor who has patients who are infected that have sex with thier partners for over 20 years and have never transfered the virus. I did a lot of research on this when my late fiance found out he had HepC a couple of years ago.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:29 AM
the Hair Jedi

I have also been told the same thing by medical doctors. the rate of infection over 20+ years for monogamous partners is <2%. And how many got it from sex is unclear. I think that people should be VERY, VERY aware that they should not share any manicure/pedicure implements, toothbrushes, razors etc. As I'm betting those things get more blood on them than is generally occurring during sex!

xoxo,
spooky
Old 02-17-2009, 10:19 PM
mary77

it cant be transfered ay a infecteded partner he carried the gene guess what i have it

Last edited by mary77; 02-17-2009 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: his family carrry it in the genes
Old 02-18-2009, 04:22 PM

Um.... I beg your pardon? Mary77, I am sure I cannot understand what you are trying to convey?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:32 AM

Default Thank You

I am new to this site and have lived with Hep C many years The information here is very up to date and very good. I am so pleased to know that correct information is being shared Thank you
Old 06-24-2009, 05:14 PM

Thanks for all the useful info!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:57 PM

boy do i know all about this one, i just came off the treatment for it. if anyone wants or needs to know exactly what the medication is like and the side effects, hit me up.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Donation Award 

brenda_little, Please tell us about the side-effects. How long were you in treatment? Was it successful?
Old 10-13-2009, 12:42 AM

Default RE:Hepatitis - What to do and what not to do

Hi Ken,Well buddy,Thanks for posting a good information regarding Hepatitis.I like whole article and its way of presentation.You have create a good awareness among others.I want to know suggestion of others.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menally-Ill View Post
This is a very important fact, that most Hep C people do not know!

If you find yourself with "psychological" symptoms, like confusion, inability to concentrate, irritability etc. there is a STRONG POSSIBILITY that your ammonia levels are elevated in your brain. (A commonly occuring effect for Hep c patients.) You need to stay away from animal proteins - fish and meat - for a few days, so the levels can go back down again.

I cannot impress enough upon everyone that EVERYTHING YOU INGEST INTO YOUR BODY is processed by your liver!

All My Love,
Menolly
a big thank you, all i eat is fish! i got hep.c, it has not caused any problems yet thank GOD.