Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Hepatitis C
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hepatitis C Living with it, inside prison and out in the world.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:34 PM
It's Not Funny Anymore

that is so very true, shawnie21, cuz when you've waited as many years i did an have made " THE SYSTEM" a comfort zone it gets alot harder to do it later on down the road. i just got approved for the biopsy but i was told not to take any kind of aspirin which i normally don't but in the process of all this i'm also doing some dental work which today i had 4 teeth pulled an yes i had to use ibprophren for the pain. i've waited so long to do thhis dental work an now i have to call the imagining place an put it off for another 2 or 3 weeks. i think they want me not to use any aspirin or of that nature for about two weeks. i only have two more teeth to pull an that will be on fri. so, we'll see. but back to kensa, i read your post about your lil adventure an it brought back so memories an the things i used to do. 17 days that is so great! an before you know it it will be years of being clean an sober. i love everyday that i'm alive. an being clean an waking up not malias (sick) means so much. not having to go out an do things to get that fix thats life an we're living at this very moment. if you need someone to talk to pm me. i'm always willing to listen.

~ Enough is Enough~

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2006, 07:28 PM

Be proud of yourself Shawnie21-- and just keep going like you are.
I have been clean 19 years now and have hepC myself.
This past tuesday was a month since I ended the treatment (interferon and copegus)
It's not been fun and it leaving my system is no picnic either but my viral count went from over 3 million to less than 10. I go back for another check in 6 months at which point they'll decide if I should go back on.
From what my Dr. told me it is not uncommon for someone to take the treatment more than once.
However in no way do I regret taking it and will do it again if need be.

Shawnie-- listen to Valerie and look up all the info you can-- there's a lot of good info here-- you can also get on the net and go to the Center of Disease Control or WebMD.

My best advice is get yourself tested!!! Knowing is what gives you the power to be pro-active and take care of yourself and your loved one!
I wish you the best of luck.
As I always say I'm not a Dr. but feel free to pm me anytime if you have any questions about the treatment or just what I've been through having hepC myself--- at least I can tell you what I have experienced and although I don't always make to PTO as often as I like if I see a pm I will answer as soon as I can.

I hope this finds everyone in good spirits and health.
Stay Strong my friends!!

Old 03-09-2006, 11:13 PM

21 days clean today! :fb:
Hate me in ways
Yeah ways hard to swallow
Hate me so you can finally see what’s good for you"
Old 03-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Donation Award 

Old 03-11-2006, 07:02 PM

Rock on South!
Keep it up!!!!!!!!!
I'm counting on you here!

Stay Strong!

Old 04-03-2006, 10:40 PM
It's Not Funny Anymore

hi everyone. just checking in, well, tomorrow i go for the biopsy an on the 24th of this month we'll find out how much damage i did. yea, i'm scared but, we have to know what's up? will keep you posted.

~ Enough is Enough~

Old 04-04-2006, 12:14 PM

hi, new to this forum, my boyfriend has hep c and has for years, he contracted it from drug use(needles), he says they won't do anything for him inside on regards to treatment, he did say that they told him about a stage he was in, does anyone know anything about that? Stage 1 I thought was what he said was the worst. He keeps putting it off all the time and still drinks and recently started using again so is back on a violation. When he gets out he says he can't afford the treatment, or costs for biopsy to see how much damage hes done. Other times he says F it all I'm going to die anyway. I've tried to convince him, he could do something to try and at least prolong his life, and seek help, but maybe he knows more than he's telling me, because at times he'll cry and say he doesn't want me to be hurt by seeing him die, and wants to be alone, I told him I'm not going anywhere, and to see him die alone would hurt me even more. I feel for all of you who have this diease or love anyone who has it. Also for those dealing with anyone who is an addict, its a hard life for you and them. You have to decide for you whats right, lots of others will give there suggestons about what to do, but listen to your inner voice and make the right choice for you.
God Bless You All
I found this link for anyone who wants to know, how you can get Hep C
http://www.hepcfight.com/need_to_kno...people_get.asp
Old 04-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Donation Award 

Welcome to the forum Pepjimsgal! I'm sorry about your boyfriend. Yes I know it's hard to get treatment in prison. It's really too bad that he isn't trying to fight it.Please check in with us often and let us know how both of you are doing and thanks for the link.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:09 AM
Donation Award 

Thinking of you sparky,how did it go?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:49 PM
It's Not Funny Anymore

hi valerie, it went ok! but, i'm still very sore an last night it hurt so much! that i eventually ended up taken my vicodin. i hate taken it but the pain on the right side it way too much! they said not to take aspirin so i took that. i feel alot better today but i still can't pick up my grandson, an he comes in to my room wanting me too! so, i have my daughter put him on the bed with me, so, i can play with him! well, i'll let you know the results when i get them. hope everyone else is doing well.

~ Enough is Enough~

Old 04-06-2006, 10:48 AM
WRITER/PRISON ADVOCATE

Hi, I have a brother in Federal Prison who is Hep-C positive. The feds will give treatment but it takes a long time to get anything done. He has decided not to get treatment because he has seen others take the treatment and they did not do well and ended up being positive again. If you take the treatment and get sick they don't respond to that, you just lay in your cell being sick. He was suppose to get a blood test and has been waiting over two months, he has never had a biopsy and I doubt the prison would pay for one. I just wanted to introduce myself. I have belonged to PTO since Aug. and I think I am in denial about his Hep-C which is why I haven't checked in here before. I am a nurse, so go figure! I do worry about him as he has 35 more years to go, and he is 54 years old now so I know he will probably die in prison.

CATHERINE
Old 04-07-2006, 06:43 AM

I would encourage him to take the treatment regardless if they will give it to him. I have taken the treatment and although not fun it won't kill him.
Out here they gave me some ultram to help with body aches -- which they may not give him inside--but really there's not much they can do for you. I doubt he'd spend anymore time on the 'bathroom' floor so to speak than I did. I found drinking as much water as possible was really the only thing that helped. The standard treatment is a form of chemo so no he won't feel good whether he's in there or outside. Trust me there's not much anyone can do for you either way. But as I said it's certainly bearable and worth it.
As well there is no cure for HepC. Therefore you can't really base the your decision for treatment on the fact that people are still positive-- it doesnt go away. The treatment for lack of a better term can basically put it into remission--- When I started I had a high viral load of over 3million but now register less than 10-- which means I have it-obviously can still spread it--but it's not really causing me any more damage at this point. As well it is not uncommon for people to take the treatment more than once if their viral count goes back up-- I am currently in a 6mo waiting stage where they'll test me again and determine if I should repeat the treatment-- and having been through practically a year of it--if they determine it's to my benefit I'll go right back on without a second thought.
Cheer up-- hepC is not a death sentance-- it does call for some lifestyle changes like giving up drinking and drugs-- eating healthy----but that has some good side-effects too-- I went from 250lbs to 150!!!
Personally I'm pro taking the treatment. There's no reason hepC should be viewed as a death sentence. Although it can't be cured right now it certainly can be treated and managed and has a very good success rate for people that undergo the treatment and continue to practice common sense in their personal lifestyles.
It's not fun but I would encourage him to take it...--- many facilities won't even treat it!! If you have any questions feel free to pm. I would encorage you to check out the Center for Disease control- WebMD and other medical websites for more info-- I think once you have you'll feel more positive and encourage him to accept the treatment and take care of himself.
Best of luck.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:53 PM
WRITER/PRISON ADVOCATE

Samsfi, does your viral load have to be a certain amt before they will do treatment? The last time he was checked the prison Dr. said he had the liver of a teenager! Don't quite know what that means since he is 54 and has a long history of intravenous drug use. Having the treatment would probably mean not being able to work and I don't think he wants to give up what income he has. Also he has 35 years to go and I think that impacts his decision.

CATHERINE
Old 04-12-2006, 08:21 AM

I think it depends on the facility. On the outside they suggest treatment with the diagnosis regardless of viral count- yet I still underwent the viral load check, them typing my hepC and a biopsy before they approved my treatment so my guess is yes they take all of that into consideration-- From what I understand inside they usually require one to be at a certain level before they'll provide treatment (my guess would also be that level is higher than on the outside as the treatment is costly- but I can't tell you that as fact)-- if they'll provide it at all.
Most likely there are other people in this forum that can answer that for you better as they've dealt with the 'system' for treatment of hepC.
I know he probably enjoys working--as for myself I'm out on medical currently and was through treatment and yes it drives me crazy as well and I'm not stuck in a cell all day.
I can tell you there are days on treatment that it would have been very difficult to work-- but you learn to deal with it. He could expect probably not to be able to do much the first few weeks as he gets used to it but then you learn to adapt. I had good and bad days. Personally I think it would be difficult for him to work a full 8 hours so it might be that he would have to work only certain days or less hours and possibly switch jobs if his job is extremly physical. Although if one can exercise on the treatment (even though it's hard because you don't feel like it) you really do feel better.
My position is with treatment; all though long usually just under a year; he's better to feel bad for a while than let it go and get sick and waste away.
HepC reacts differently in everyone. Some people's bodies naturally fight it off while other sucumb to it very quickly. Of course treatment options are a very personal decision but for myself I'm for taking the treatment and glad that I did.
I realize that with a 35 years to go he may just feel like it's not that important at the age he's at--- but if they won't do anything for him while he's sick on treatment one would assume if he becomes ill from the hepC they won't do much for him either-- and it's just a personal opinion but I think he'd suffer more that way.
I wish I had some easy answer for you... I realize it's a difficult situation for him to be in and for you to deal with as you love him and want the best. Obviously I'm personally for taking the treatment but please understand that I realize that it may not be the best thing for him to do in his situation.
Again I would encourage you to go to some websites like the Center for Disease Control to get correct information. This forum offers a lot of good information but as well I've seen quite a bit of mis-information posted as well. As I'm not a Dr. I can only tell you what my Dr's have told me and what I've experienced. I feel it's always best to make decisions like this based on fact-- not just what someone tells you.
Of course if I can be of any help let me know and I'll tell you what I can.
I wish you both the best of luck.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:35 PM

My son has hep C that has progressed so far that the treatment would kill him. he has progressed to cirhossis of the liver, He has had varices bleeding 2 times. His chances are not good. He has been in prison for 20 years He is 52. He will come up for his first consideration for parole in Oct. 2006. The prison would not give treatment to the inmates. They had a class action lawsuit against the prison and won. They still are only treating a few. I have been told the parole board generally denies parole the first time before them. There is a good chance he won't make it out alive. He is on my mind and in my thoughts continually.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:53 PM
WRITER/PRISON ADVOCATE

ospson, I am so sorry to hear about your son. You must be so worried about him. maybe they will take his health into consideration when he goes up for parole.

CATHERINE
Old 06-09-2006, 12:54 PM

atalie, I hope and pray the parole board will consider his medical condition, but I have been told that the imate can't bring up their medical problems, although they can see by looking at him he is very ill. He has lost a lot of weight and is very pale. Hep C doesn't always progress to chirrossis unless a person is a heavy drinker. In my sons case he has never been a drinker. The Hep C virus has caused so much liver damage that the liver is barely working.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:24 PM

I read here where people don't want to take the treatment and I know it is not pleasant and it does not always work, I think if a person is young and strong enough maybe they should consider treatment before the virus does irreverisble damage. There is a high chance of Hep C turning into liver cancer. My son has Hep C. I found out my ex husband had it and died at age 63 from chirrossis he was a an alccoholic. I asked to be tested after I found out my Ex had Hep C I found out I also have it. My Doctor said they would not treat me because I was in my 60's, but they keep testing me for tumors in my liver, that the Doctor says they can treat. It doesn't make any sense to me, because once you have liver cancer it is generally fatal. I am not having any problems, I take milk thistle daily to help take toxins off my liver. I have done quite a bit of research on hep C. I am thinking if I was younger and had the money for treatment i would take the treatment, rather than wait for the virus to continually kill my liver cells. I believe I would fight this virus with everything available.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:48 PM
loving and missing them

i also have HEP C but i recieved treatment while i was at CCWF chowchilla CA. actually i was diagnosed there
:love: *BuTterFlyS*LOVE*FreEdOm*:love: member#119: "is it 2008 yet?" club!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 01:47 AM

Hi girls, I am a new member to PTO and I was browsing and came upon this thread. I too have a brother with Hep C. He contracted his in prison also, weather it was by drug use, or by tattoos, I am not sure. He has been living with it for 8 years now. He found out in prison, a Ca. prison, and he did not have to pay for the test. Never has had any treatment. He needs to see a doctor to find out how severe it is, and what stage it is in. Or is there stages? He says he just feels really tired all the time, and his body aches alot of the time. He has always been a thin man but, now you can see the structure of his face. He is looking really gaunt. I luv you lil brother!!

Last edited by sazykd; 06-12-2006 at 02:01 AM..
Old 06-12-2006, 08:21 AM
WRITER/PRISON ADVOCATE

sazykd, those are the symptoms my brother has also. He said he has days when he is so tired and days when he feels fine.

CATHERINE
Old 06-13-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Hep. C & Federal Prison

My BIL died in Federal Prison of Hep. C. He probably got if in the free world because one of his friends also died of it. Whenever he got really bad he was sent to the hospital but I don't know where he was when he died. I don't think the Feds. release you for any reason. He had done most of his time.

What really upset us was how the body was treated after death. Feds. paid for embalming and burial and all efforts from the family to have any changes made where denied even though his daughter wanted to pay for burial herself. It was like he was still their property. I checked on the funeral home they used and it was rated the worst in Dallas. The local area funeral home his body was released to apologized for having their hands tied by Feds. NO COSMETIC CHANGES ALLOWED. It was very bad. Worse than anyone could ever imagine. Since no one local was allowed to examine his body there are other things we be believe but cannot prove. The casket should have been padlocked before release. It's almost like what we saw was intended to cause shock and pain.

I pray this was an unusual experience.

Last edited by xtxco3; 06-13-2006 at 02:57 PM..
Old 06-13-2006, 06:01 PM
WRITER/PRISON ADVOCATE

xtxco3,I think your experience is what we all fear. My brother is not likely to be released from prison. He is in fed right now but in five years goes to state, I think I fear state treatment more than fed treatment. He will be 59 when he gets transferred so I expect he will die in prison and it is one of my worst fears that he will be alone.

CATHERINE
Old 06-13-2006, 10:23 PM
brooks1304

My Dearest Friend Mel,
Had Hep C..but She Died Of Lung Cancer In In Oct Of Last Year..but I Knew She Had It Because She Told Me 10 Years Earlier..what She Was Afraid Of Was Losing Our Frinedship Because Of It..no Way..i Dealt With Home Health...she Was Even Afraid Of Using Our Bathroom..come On..i Told Her..she Was Afraid I Would Stop Loving Her Because Of It..if You Are One Of The Types Who Has To Lysol Behind Them..then Yu Are Missing Out..hep Is Blood Born..do Not Put A Wall Between U And Them Because If U Do Then They Might Die Of Somethind Else Like Mel Did And I Had To Let Her Go Because Of That And That Part,that Part Took Me With Her..because She Was And Is Still My Best Friend..and Untill You Loose Someone Like That (or Like Her) That Part Of U Can Never Be Replaced..
Love You Mel
Your Friend Always
Betty
Old 06-17-2006, 11:52 PM

My husband is in county jail waiting to 'catch chains'. He has had Hep C for the last 2o years. When he was first jailed, he was told his test were normal . The Hep C was apparently in remission. His foot was broken during his arrest and was not treated for 3 1/2 months, he has had no less than 5 casts on his foot and is now being told he needs a bone graft due to his foot not being treated properly...but that's a whole different story. During his visit to the ortho surgeon, he was told his Hep C is not in total remission and he is now being scheduled for an ultrasound. I don't know much about this disease,what can be done, how I can help my husband, or what to expect when he is released.