Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Hepatitis C
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hepatitis C Living with it, inside prison and out in the world.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:45 AM

My ex who I am currently getting back together with is going through Hep C treatment right now and he is doing very well on it..the Dr. says he will be cured of it when he is done..I am so happy for him.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2007, 10:26 PM
mark'sgirl

Default New to the Forum

Hey everyone, my name's Lori but you can call me mark's girl. He just got 8 years, adn hes stage 3. I'm in the free world and hep also, but unfortunately what is bringing my viral load and liver alts down, isn't available in prison.(Mesosilver brand colloidal silver) I hooked up to this forum because like all of you,I miss my loved one and am worried , so this allows me to hear all of your stories and it helps to give me hope for him.thank-you. mark's girl
Old 06-28-2007, 08:59 PM

My dad has never had a tattoo but because he has been in prison he should get a hep c test? I am a little confused why prisoners get or have it....
Old 07-09-2007, 02:52 AM
baby girl

Default Hep C ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedogs
My dad has never had a tattoo but because he has been in prison he should get a hep c test? I am a little confused why prisoners get or have it....
You can get Hep C from tats but it's not very comon anymore because people got smart and provide their own needles. The transfer is blood to blood. If anyone has ever shared needles or had sex with another inmate then YES they should be tested. Or if they have had any blood tranfer of any kind. The test is very expensive and he will have to have a valid reason to get tested, but if he pushes the issue they will let him have it. My friend just had one and they asked him atleast 5 times, "are you sure you want this, it's very expensive." Take care
Old 02-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Closed

Post New to site

My dad recently told me he had Hep C.He has been incarcerated 20 years.He could have gotten it through shooting up before his incarceration.I am not sure how long he has had it or what...I didn't realize the seriousness of this disease.I am just at a loss right now....
Old 02-17-2008, 10:01 AM

My fiance has hcv and wanted to know if I could find out any information on "liver pain" or upper right quadrant pain and if anyone knows how to make it better. I guess that happens when your liver is inflammed. Any ideas so I can tell him???
Old 02-19-2008, 10:40 PM

I also have hep c, I take Selenium, Vitamin E and Vitamin C, also they told me to take a one a day vitamin with no iron, sometimes that one is hard to find, my numbers have been low but the viral load is growing, I will be restarting the interferon treatments soon. This disease is something I really don't understand, the doctors have told me I would probably die with something else going on later in life, but no the Hep C. Who knows, I look at it like when the time comes we all will go. It is okay, sometimes I am fatigue, but I just rest more and it seems to help. Hopefully someone may have more infomration on hep c, I'd love to hear from you.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:33 AM
nice

Hello everyone here, I know that alot of convicts have hep C from drug use or prison tattoos and the prisons usually dont test for this desease until the prisoner is about to be released into society and then they are reported to the health department for safety fo the public, or I was told this when they released me. I dont have Hep C but I was a tattooist in prison, I used a new needles everytime and this was because keeping needles left contraband for a CO to find, as far as I am concerned, the tattoo studios outside are also using unsafe practises because they claim an autoclave will cure anything they use as for their instruments are concerned, but ask any doctor and they will let you know that no sterile doctor will clean anything that has as small diameter openings as a tattoo tube end, it simply is not large enouogh to clean properly or 100%, but tattoo shops use this process regularly to clean their equipment. I run a tattoo studio and I only use disposable needles and tubes so everything is brand new and never had been used on anyone, I open the tubes and needles right there on the spot in front of each client. as for as any medical treatments is concerned, one of my cellmates named Dave had hep C from drug use in prison, he was completely cured of this desease after a prolonged treatment with interferon, which ended up killing him and once he was pronouonced DOA brought back to life using the paddles, he was cured though so there is hope out there if somone wishes to endure this, his liver was ate up and hardened, protruding out of his stomach, he also had to eat special diets daily and watch everything he ate and did, he survived and I seen that he has been released on parole recently. I have no ideas if everyone will be DOA or have the same exact reactions ad Dave but everyone is different.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:27 PM

At my last visit with my son he told me they had given him a vaccine for Hep C. Is this something they normaly do or should I worry?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:27 PM

hey my husband is incarcerated at cca/dcf in oklahoma, they have told him he has hep-c and they did a lver biopsy and want to start treatment on him as soon as they find a gastro----dr that will prescribe him. this is strange to me. he is worried about the side effects. i pray he will be cured or remission. he has done 12 years for a crime he did not do. it is so frustrating for if he was home we could get him good help. the system puts you in and its really hard to get someone innocent out. i would appreciate any help. thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 07:53 AM

yes yes yes. you can definately catch it from sex. blood to blood.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Closed

My dad found out he had it 1999~
Old 03-13-2008, 10:42 PM
give us strength

My Bf Has Hep C And Doesnt Have Insurance So When He Gets Out Of Prison I Fear He Will Go Untreated And We'll Never Know How Severe His Condition May Be.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Donation Award 

Hi Baba, Sometimes they can get treatment in prison depending on their condition, and the amount of time they are doing.Well I guess it depends on the prison too.
baba (04-09-2008)
Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 AM

Hi,
I don't have anything to do with the prison system, but I do have Hep C and am a member of an online support group. We're called the Nomads, and I'd like to post the link if anyone wants it, but don't know how admin feel about it? I was trying to find the name of something for the site and I found this place on google, so I thought it might help if I posted?

Many of us are on or have been on treatment, we range from newly diagnosed to long term sufferers, those with hardly any problems to those with chirroses and one of our members had a transplant day before yesterday.

There is treatment, it can be a hard road, but it is doable. Between us we cover all sorts of things, from how to deal with having it, to coping with supporting someone.

It can be transmitted through sex, but it's a small chance. Ive been married for 16 years and had 4 kids, my husband hasn't caught it and neither have any of my children. I gave birth to them all naturally.

If there's anything I can help with, please ask.

Justnikki
The Following User Says Thank You to Justnikki For This Useful Post:
baba (04-09-2008)
Old 03-28-2008, 06:34 AM

lovingmydad
It's a real shock when you first find out about this disease. It's far more common than any of us realise. I hope you're ok, if you need to know anything, just ask and I'll do my best for you

Lisalisa73
the liver pain your fiance is feeling is a common side effect of Hep C. Hep C is a viral infection and causes inflammation of the liver. The liver itself doesn't have the nerves that skin etc has, and can give pain if it's stretched, which is what the inflamation does. He should drink plenty of water. Keeping hydrated can help loads with hep and it's free!! Not having access to pain killers must be frustrating. I don't know if he likes to do the weights, but when it's giving him pain, he should try to rest, drink plenty of water and try and find a position that's comfortable to lie in.

Confused08
if there's anything I can help you with, please ask

Justinsmama
there isn't a vaccine for Hep C, you can get A and B vaccines though.

I just took a few questions, I hope I've helped, I got the ok from your site to post and see if I can help anybody.

justnikki
The Following User Says Thank You to Justnikki For This Useful Post:
united (04-14-2008)
Old 03-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Donation Award 

Thank you Nikki
Old 03-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Banned

Default JustNicki

I was wondering do you know if they test for Hep C when your pregnant? I know they take alot of blood to test for things but I was curious if they test specifically for Hep C. My sisters x was just diagnosed with Hep C (he just went to Prison) He said in his letter that he has had it for 20 years so can they tell by a blood test how long hes had it? I found that wierd. So anyways I think if he has had it for 20 years he should let my sister know because they where together within 20 years and she could have it too. Arent Tylenol 3 and codeine bad for the liver? What kind of pain pills would they give to someone with Hep C? I know he gets very bad migranes and I can imagine what it would be like in Prison so just wondering if there are certain ones for someone with Hep C? Thanks
Old 03-29-2008, 06:29 AM

Hey jjj72,
yes, there is a blood test for hep C. They can't tell you how long youve had it, sometimes you might never know how you got it, but if you shared needles, toothbrushes, razors, snorting euqipment, had a piercing, got a tattoo, blood products before they tested for it, then you can get it from any number of ways. They can test you when you're pregnant, and there's only a 5% chance of passing it on to your children. Like I said, I have 4, and so far none of them have got it. My husband didn't catch it either.

As for pain killers, you can take paracetomol (I'm in the UK and I think that's your equivalent of Tylenol) I get migraines and I take migralieve. Don't take aspirin. You can take codeine in small doses, but I don't know anything about his stage of the disease, so I don't know how it's affecting his liver. You'll get sick of me saying it, but he needs to drink plenty of water. Caffeine brings migraines on too. I would give you a list of foods to avoid, but his diet is controlled isn't it, so probably not that helpful

I hope your sister's ok, she must be worried sick. Encourage her to take the blood test and put her mind at rest. If she does have it, it's not the end of the world, there is treatment available, and it is doable.

justnikki xx
Old 03-29-2008, 12:49 PM

Just re-read your post and realised I went a bit off track

As far as I know, they don't test specifically for Hep C when they take bloods during pregnancy. They have to tell you over here what they are testing you for, and that doesn't include Hep C.

Getting the powers that be to take awareness more seriously is a big problem, so I can't imagine they would test for it, otherwise they would be more likely to have to act on the information. We call it the silent explosion over here, or the silent killer because you just don't know you've got it.

justnikki
Old 03-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Banned

Thanks for you reply JustNicki. I was curious if they tested for pregnant women because then Id know she didnt have it. I mailed him a letter last week suggesting he mail my sister a letter to let her know he has it. I will tell her if he dosent but I would like to see him be the one letting her know (I think that would be the proper thing) So I am going to give him next week or so. I think I am going to ask my doctor if he has ever tested me for that before. I have no idea I know he takes lots of blood every time I complain Im tired or something and everything has alwas come back good but the next time I am there I will ask him. I know with my husband they take his blood every 3 months but they are checking his cholesterol.
Thanks again I appreciate your posts
Old 03-29-2008, 03:08 PM

I think you're right about him telling her, it is the right thing to do. But I also agree with you about telling her yourself if he doesn't.

Do you get to see your blood test results? The first indicator is raised ALT. Your ALT can be raised for a number of reasons, but if the doctor checks you out and can't find a reason for it, that usually leads them on to start testing for other things.

I'm glad I could help

Nikki
Old 03-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Banned

No I have never seen my blood test results - neither has my husband. I will definitley ask the next time Im there just because now I am more aware. I would imagine somewhere along the line my husband or I must have been tested for Hep C I know I was tested for HIV when I moved from Canada to the States. They dont let people with HIV into the States to live. I passed their rigourous Immigration test. LOL
Old 04-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Closed

Thanks for the help...and the thought...
If I have further questions I wil definatly keep you in mind!

God Bless
Old 04-02-2008, 01:23 PM

Default Lovingmydad

My pleasure, hope you're coping ok, and your dad isn't having too tough a time with his Hep

justnikki