Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > LOVING A... > Loving a Long-term Sentenced Offender
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Loving a Long-term Sentenced Offender For those whose loved one is serving 10+ years.

View Poll Results: what do you do when your man talks about getting his time reduced?
I encourage him, there is a good chance he may get out early 114 41.91%
Wishful thinking, but I don't get my hopes up 136 50.00%
I have accepted his sentence and encourage him to do the same 22 8.09%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2008, 08:58 PM
I love my hubby!!!
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Superwoman View Post
He has a parole hearing in Nov but we don't talk about it much we just try to stay in the here and now.It would be nice but SC is not easiest for getting parole.
Best of luck to you!! remeber there is always a chance and to have your hopes up a little will bring you and your hunny's spirt up. let us know how it goes.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:49 AM

Default Number two on the poll

I checked the second choice. I got my hopes up too much when his parole came up this past January--denied for the third time. I was so devastated. I just knew he was coming home to me. I can't let myself go through that again--almost killed me and my hurting almost killed him.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:18 PM
thug.lyf3_wife4lyf3

Dallas has been incarcarated almost 11 yrs on a 15 year sentence he has exhausted all his appeals the last appeal like all the rest of them my hopes would be as high as the sky then when it would be denied i would crash and burn everytime he will be home in 2yrs 9months now that he is close we both are anxious he's sick of being in there im sick of being happy until its time to go to bed and he's not there after all this time its the things that we did as a couple that still lives on in our hearts he told me just today he's tired of waking up around men im tired of waking up without him
Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 PM

Yes i know how u feel..mine has been in 5 and has 12 more to go we're young, 23 and 22, so i notice we talk about it like its just around the corner. it hurts too much to know that its not. i am always worried that things will change or he will become so institutionalized (he already is) that a free life would be impossible for him. especially because he's pretty much grown into a man in there. however i don't think talking about it is necessarily a bad thing, it keeps your hope alive but theirs as well. When he says he might get out early, I know it is a long shot in my case anyway, but i have faith in God and I know if God wants him to be out early he will. I get happy at times but I always remind myself it is a long shot, though I don't let him know that.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:30 PM
PlayingTheWaitingGame

I have my optimistic days and my neutral days. He tells me that when he was sentenced, he was under the impression that he'd have to do 85% of a lesser amount of years. While it would only knock off 2 years, it's 2 years I'd rather him be out than in. Some days, I am convinced that there is no way that he'll have to complete all the time. Other days, I remember that this isn't based on what I want. Yes, I get my hopes up, but I am mostly realistic in what our worst case scenario could be.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:22 PM

well we are waiting to hear something on his motion. He is in the Feds and they recently revised a sentencing guideline on the crack charge. He filed his motion in Apr and we still havent heard anything. Other people have filed their motions after and have already been granted a reduction. I am hoping to hear something soon. I am trying to stay positive.

I had a friend that was in and his motion got granted so I am hoping for the same for my man.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:24 PM

Thanked 1,156 Times in 569 Posts

I am very hopeful that he will get out sooner. Even though he has 5 years left until till parole. So I am working like a mad man getting all his paper work together to get his time reduced and staying on his behind to stay on the right path. Being hopeful is all i can do.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:19 PM
all by myself

Thanked 1,355 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevaeh0926 View Post
well we are waiting to hear something on his motion. He is in the Feds and they recently revised a sentencing guideline on the crack charge. He filed his motion in Apr and we still havent heard anything. Other people have filed their motions after and have already been granted a reduction. I am hoping to hear something soon. I am trying to stay positive.

I had a friend that was in and his motion got granted so I am hoping for the same for my man.

my man falls on that new law he's in fed. when i called the county clerk to find out when he will see a judge she basically laughed and told me to join the other million people waiting to see there day in court unfortently he was charged in north carolina and so far they are the slowest state to get this going
Old 11-14-2008, 07:01 PM
just waitin'

He has been inside for 6 years, earliest release 2029.

But he's got it into his head that now Obama has been elected and reviews been made in the Federal System. He thinks he could be home by 2013.
That would be incredible, but I can't set him up to fail, so I play it down, without being negative.

Having said that, he took a trip to the hole 2 weeks ago, still there, so that's not going to impress the powers that be now is it?

Here's to keeping everything crossed lol

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small, it enkindles the great."
-Comte DeBussy-Rabuti-

"The best proof of love is trust."
-Joyce Brothers-
Old 11-23-2008, 03:48 PM
His Soul mate. ..

Thanked 8,162 Times in 6,851 Posts

Its nice for them to stay postive, but they have to realize it may not happen, thoughts in the back of their minds in order to not fall into deep depression if it doesnt happen..
Old 11-24-2008, 03:13 AM
Two hearts-One Love

IF its hope that keeps them going allow them to have that to hold on to.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:55 AM
missin my hubby :(

My baby keeps tellin me he thinks he will get time knocked off when he files for a sentence modification. I think he believes if he says it enough then we will both believe it and it will happen. I try not to think about it. When he got sentenced in that courtroom to 12 yrs I circled 2019 on my calender and buckled down for the long haul. The judge ended up deciding to suspend his sentence after 7 so I circled 2014 instead. He has 5 years left of his 7 and he swears he will be home in 2011 but I keep my eye on 2014 that way I am not disappointed if 2011 comes around and he is still there. And also, if he does get out in 2011 then I can have a happy happy surprise. I think the main reasons he says he's gettin out early is because it makes the time seem less real to him and he is scared I will get overwhelmed with the time and leave.

in love since 2.14.06
Old 12-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Counting the days...

I kept passing over this thread until today. He finally said something about getting his sentence modified. I'm sticking by him and silently trying to manifest it meanwhile not getting overexcited. He has a chance though, there are so many hole in his case. Therefore, I can't be pessimistic. Just hoping it works out.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:46 PM

There's no appeals or anything like that. But one thing loving an inmate has taught me is hope. I actually didn't understand why people talk about it when there's no chance so i asked him. And that's what he told me that you shouldn't kill someone's else's hope. i work with handicapped children too so it's a lesson I've learned well. We talk about it all the time and joke about it. He's a lifer and there's no parole hearings ever scheduled. I live in reality now though. When we first got together I hadn't accepted it as hope though and it hurt me. I just couldn't accept it and ofcourse when reality hit it tore us apart. i did come back though a lot stronger after I accepted it for what it was. It's hard to explain but he understood without explanation.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:44 PM

OMG my man does that all the time. hes like yea i am sentence to be ou tin 2015 but hopefully i will come home in early 2009...i wish that was the case but i dont see it happending i would be so happy if it did!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Hebrews 13:4

My man has 18 years 11 months and 13 days left on his sentence...been locked up for just over 6 years...He has the opportunity to appeal his case but if it goes as far as going to trial...if his lawyer doesn't know what they are doing...he could actually get sentenced to more time, which I'm deathly afraid of....he took a plea, otherwise he could've went to trial and been sentenced to 145 years (Thank God that didn't happen)...I'm scared out of my mind...and debating if I even want to pay this lawyer to take his case or if we should just leave it be...
Old 01-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Life Lovin
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,384 Posts

He talks about an earlier release sometimes. I try to encourage him to accept things for what they are and take it one day at a time... any suggestions??
Old 05-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Donation Award 

My man is in his 21st year of a life sentence. He is eligible for parole in 6 years and 5 months. We live each day as if that day is a certainty. There is always the little thought in the back of our minds that the possibility of making parole the first time is pretty small...but it is the hope and the dream of being together that keeps us going through each day, month, year. We will get there...
Old 05-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Marty's Wife

Thanked 9,535 Times in 3,740 Posts

at first I did used to get my hopes up but now I know what the reality of it is. I don't crush his positive thinking though. But inside of me I know it will be longer than he says.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:59 AM

I definitely keep hoping that my boyfriend will get out early. He has served a year of a 2 1/2 year sentence and it was not a violent crime. He is trying right now to write his own release - to re file for early release. Do any of you know of samples I can find to send him? I also want to know how I go about writing a letter of support to the judge to try to get him home.

He filed in February and they told him to refile in May - so we are trying again - with hopes the judge will change his mind this time.

Jeni
Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Life Lovin
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,384 Posts

I've accepted his sentence and I encourage him to do the same. Its getting easier, so it seems.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:17 AM
Account Closed

Thanked 1,803 Times in 837 Posts

It is hard not to get excited when there is talk of getting out sooner but in my opnion one of us has to stay grounded!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:14 AM
Banned

My man spent a lot of money on a lawyer to try to get time off. The lawyer said its looking like 70 to 30 in his favor. My man seems really confidant that he'll be home in 3 years. I don't get my hopes up. If it happens then that's great but if it doesn't then oh well. I'm riding with him wether its 3 years or 9
Old 05-28-2010, 12:26 AM

We bouh talk about him getting out he has a real good chance to get appeal he got 30 yrs & been down 11 he been doing stuff to get appel i have to keep faith i be praying & light prayer candels 4 him so we both keep are hopes up but the thing that gets to me is we wount another baby & even he get out i think i to old so that make me sad !
Old 05-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Missing my baby

Oh yes! We are in the middle of an appeal process right now! I'm hopeful but I'm not (well trying not to) get my hopes up at least not too high. Anything can happen!

HOLDFAST BABY!!!

~Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.