Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Hepatitis C
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hepatitis C Living with it, inside prison and out in the world.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:00 PM

Default South Carolina Hepatitis C lawsuit?

I was recently appointed to represent a South Carolina Department of Corrections inmate with Hepatitis C who has not received any treatment over the past 3+ years. Since the class action lawsuit was filed yesterday, we have received several calls from former inmates and their family members with similar stories. If you or someone you know has had any experience with Hepatitis C in the South Carolina Department of Corrections since 2012, please let me know via private message.

I would post a link to the best two articles on the lawsuit, but I can't until I've made 25 posts. If someone else would like to do it for me, they are on TheState.com (written by John Monk) and CharlestonCityPaper.com (written by Adam Manno)

Christopher J. Bryant
The Following User Says Thank You to CHSResearch For This Useful Post:
nimuay (03-14-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2018, 04:06 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,012 Times in 14,734 Posts

Lawsuit could force SC to spend tens of millions to treat inmates for Hepatitis C

March 13, 2018 11:10 AM Updated 10 hours 5 minutes ago

COLUMBIA, SC A lawsuit that could require the S.C. Department of Corrections to spend tens of millions of dollars to treat thousands of prison inmates with Hepatitis C, a potentially fatal liver disease, was filed Tuesday in federal court.

The lawsuit was filed by inmate Russell Geissler, 34, of Greenville, who is serving a roughly 10-year sentence for charges including armed robbery. It claims that up to 6,000 of the state’s inmates may have Hepatitis C, a liver infection especially prevalent among prison inmates..

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/news/local/c...#storylink=cpy

S.C. prisons not adequately treating inmates for Hepatitis C, lawsuit claims

A settlement was reached in a similar case in Mass. to require inmate testing and treatment

A lawsuit filed Tuesday in federal court by a South Carolina inmate alleges that the state may be failing to provide proper treatment and medication for more than 5,000 inmates potentially living with Hepatitis C.

The class-action suit was filed by Russell Geissler, 24, an inmate at Perry Correctional Institution in Anderson County. Geissler discovered he had Hepatitis C, a viral infection that can lead to chronic liver disease, after regular blood drawings related to a different medication he was taking cued a prison doctor to test him, according to Geissler's court-appointed attorney Chris Bryant.

The Centers for Disease Control estimates that one third of U.S. prisoners have Hepatitis C.

https://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/...is-c-treatment

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-14-2018), nimuay (03-14-2018)