Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California Topic and discussion specific to San Quentin State Prison located in San Quentin, California.

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Banned

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,968 Posts
Default SQ 2011 Reception Questions, Concerns & Info Thread

WELCOME TO YOUR 2011
SQ RECEPTION QUESTION,
CONCERNS, & INFO THREAD.
PLEASE ASK ALL YOUR QUESTIONS
AND CONCERNS
ABOUT RECEPTION HERE.

SQ PREVIOUS RECEPTION THREAD
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 PM

So my man is in the west block and there on lock down and I have not got a letter from him since before Christmas. Do you think that if on lockdown they can't write?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Anthony's Mom

Yes he can still write but it maybe difficult for him to get writing supplies so if you have not, you may want to send him some stamps, paper and envelopes.

Unfortunately I heard there was a minor incident in west block last week so the LD may continue on....

"God's will won't ever take you where Gods grace cannot protect you."

"A successful corrections system doesn't grow, if they were correcting anybody, they'd shrink." ~Stephen Richards
Old 01-05-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv*sGirl View Post
Yes he can still write but it maybe difficult for him to get writing supplies so if you have not, you may want to send him some stamps, paper and envelopes.

Unfortunately I heard there was a minor incident in west block last week so the LD may continue on....
Thank you very much for getting back to me but may i PM you I have some question for you?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:52 AM
Anthony's Mom

Yep go right ahead and PM me, some things are better not posted on a public forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe's girlx4 View Post
Thank you very much for getting back to me but may i PM you I have some question for you?

"A successful corrections system doesn't grow, if they were correcting anybody, they'd shrink." ~Stephen Richards
The Following User Says Thank You to Harv*sGirl For This Useful Post:
GsMom (01-07-2012)
Old 01-06-2011, 09:51 AM

is cell number "3B-08" in westblock also?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Anthony's Mom

Nope that is Badger section, I am pretty sure badger section is in south block, either way I am sure its not in West Block.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:06 AM

Hello,
My guy has been at San Quentin reception for 5 weeks now and this is what I've been through:
1. 5 days after my guy got transferred to SQ from county, I got a box full of his extra books, shampoo, etc - stuff that he couldn't keep there

-Same day (5 days after arrival), I got a letter from him. Next letter I got was 10 days later.

-He has NEVER had access to a phone, therefore no calls from him

2. I sent my visitor's form 30 days ago, me nor my guy, we haven't heard anything back yet.

3. Spoke to his counselor on the phone for 20 minutes: he says
a. the 35% rumor about cutting time served down/early release bc of lack of funding or space is all RUMOR - not true
b. when an inmate sends out a letter, it goes in the mail the next day (which is why I'm now getting letters from my guy 2 days after he sends them - I'm in SF)
c. when you send him a letter, it should get to him in 7 days (this hasn't been true - letters have been getting to me quicker, but this has been the delay: it took 20 days for him to get my letter in week 2, 11 days in week 3, 7 days in week 4 and now 5-6 days)
d. the cutting of funding to the whole state of CA, basically = budget cuts to visitation dept = less visitation staff, time, etc.
e. He never heard of the 1381 or VC45100 forms!!! They get filed when my guy gets mainlined & by his counselor there
f. Basically, for any questions on the whole process of anything having to do with an inmate in state prison - refer to the fun, easy reading of Title 15. (yawn)
g. The mailroom's X is 5863 and the main sergeant's X is 5813

4. The inmate's reception counselor is the final say in sentence calculation - that is when the inmate finally gets to see their Counc. They go by the paperwork they have in front of them: which may or may NOT be what the inmate's lawyer told them happened/sentenced, nor what the judge actually said. If you were at the court date or not, request an Abstract of Judgment from the county court where the inmate was sentenced (have inmate send you a letter saying that s/he authorizes you to get a copy of the A of J & Court Minutes from the date of their sentencing court appearance from inmate's file, then send a copy to the inmate. Sorry, but you'll have to go to the criminal court records desk/dept at the court house - they won't mail or fax it to you ).
4. Safety is pretty good in Reception - no scuffles, no wacky gang outbreaks, etc. Could get dicey when they get mainlined, depending what gang affiliation, cellie & housing division & level they get put into.
5. My guy told me a female CO actually told him that he can beat up his cell mate (bc the cell mate got them moved - for calling her a c*nt). Nice! He didn't listen to her. He does NOT want more time. But now she's harassing him bc he didn't beat up his cell mate! Anyone know how I can make a complaint against her/this CO - if it is even worth it?

And a note about pictures: my guy says that if a picture is printed on good quality photo paper, and you sharpie out the naughty parts before you send to him/her, then they can rub off the sharpie when they get the picture. If you sharpie out your naughty bits, believe me, you don't have to tell him/her to rub off the sharpie. They will know/have heard. Good luck!!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in my prior post on SQ update:

I wrote & sent my guy 2 letters during his first week there, when I didn't hear from him nor had his CDC# so I just wrote his name, prison address & sent them out.
Well, one letter got to him and one letter was sent back to me.

But if your son is diligent about this, he can borrow paper & pen & a stamp (if he didn't arrive with paper & stamps) from his cell mate and drop you a note & give you his CDC#. Then, you can write him up a storm. BUT once you get his CDC# and start to write him: follow ALL the rules on the websites about what to send & what not to send. Then, your son should get your letter hopefully within 2 weeks of you sending it, maybe 3. But keep writing!!! All your letters will trickle in & he will be so relieved to hear his name called for mail!

Send 2 pens (bic cristal def gets through), filler paper, 1 or 2 stamp books with his name & CDC# written in sharpie on the non-stamp section of the book & envelopes with every mailing - do this every other day for a while. He'll def get them! Then he can trade & use that stuff to buy other necessities in the mean time, while waiting his turn for commissary. (what he doesn't use writing you, that is

I print out labels on the computer - his addy labels & my return addy labels, hoping my mail gets to him faster. (I'm not sure, tho)

I get packages of stamps from Costco, the Bic cristal pens online from eBay or at Staples, filler paper at Staples - wherever it is cheapest.

Your son should be fine. Reception isn't that dangerous if he keeps his head low & mouth shut at the right times. You will hear from him & probably visit him well before he gets mainlined.

Make sure he sends you a visitors form, so you can get that process underway.

And books - make sure he has books to read. I don't care if he's a reader or not. 23 hours on lock down will drive anyone to read - anything! Send him a Dan Brown book, a mystery, a self-help book, maybe. Books you think he'll like, he'll probably read (or trade for another book that he will def read) and keep him busy and out of trouble.

Trust that your son is OK, because he is. Its his journey now - let him have it. It'll probably teach him a heck of a lot more than college would have!

My guy & I are doing a lot of journaling via our letters to each other and its kinda working like therapy, in a way - by the books I'm sending him/he's reading and the topics we talk about in our letters. Writing letters (to yourself or others/loved ones) is great for self-learning & processing stuff, especially in the boring hours of entertaining yourself in prison. Encourage him to write to you whatever comes to mind. No censoring himself - freeflow. He just might learn a thing or two about himself, it'll help keep him sane, focused and cool-tempered during the frustration of reception and it'll help him pass the time.

Best of luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J's Mom View Post
My Son was taken to San Quentin last Thursday.....
How long till we hear from him? Can we write to him?
No horror stories please this is all so new & painful...

Last edited by Tiffany; 02-22-2011 at 12:12 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sbarnea For This Useful Post:
Marieanne820 (06-15-2011), thydot (02-19-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 11:01 AM

Than you sbarnea for the great details that anyone with a loved one in reception should know.
One word on photos, if you print photos on computer paper not photo stock paper you can get nine photos on a page and the mailroom seems ok about sending maybe 2-3 of these pages per letter. I sent funny or interesting photos I find online...maybe celebrity photos...or for lonely guys send cute girls photos.
And send online crosswords, word search puzzles, mazes too...just remember to cut off the top that shows the website info.
And yes my mail takes forever to get to him...maybe 10-14 days.
thydot
Old 03-08-2011, 04:32 AM

My husband got sent there over a month ago he told me he paid to have his stuff sent home and I haven't got anything and they never answer the phone at r&r
Old 03-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Banned

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,968 Posts

I can not say how long SQ takes to send stuff back, but when a friend of mine was i Sonoma County jail and he got transfered to SQ he paid Sonoma County to send me his stuff and I know it took almost a month and a half to get it. We all know that CDC does not move as fast as we would like them to.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 PM

Default Reception?? do they have access to a phone??

Hello,

My hubby is at SQ, in the reception area; I haven't talked to him, does he have phone access? Thank you...
Old 03-18-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarnea View Post
Hello,
My guy has been at San Quentin reception for 5 weeks now and this is what I've been through:
1. 5 days after my guy got transferred to SQ from county, I got a box full of his extra books, shampoo, etc - stuff that he couldn't keep there

-Same day (5 days after arrival), I got a letter from him. Next letter I got was 10 days later.

2. I sent my visitor's form 30 days ago, me nor my guy, we haven't heard anything back yet.

a. the 35% rumor about cutting time served down/early release bc of lack of funding or space is all RUMOR - not true
b. when an inmate sends out a letter, it goes in the mail the next day (which is why I'm now getting letters from my guy 2 days after he sends them - I'm in SF)
c. when you send him a letter, it should get to him in 7 days (this hasn't been true - letters have been getting to me quicker, but this has been the delay: it took 20 days for him to get my letter in week 2, 11 days in week 3, 7 days in week 4 and now 5-6 days)
d. the cutting of funding to the whole state of CA, basically = budget cuts to visitation dept = less visitation staff, time, etc.
e. He never heard of the 1381 or VC45100 forms!!! They get filed when my guy gets mainlined & by his counselor there
f. Basically, for any questions on the whole process of anything having to do with an inmate in state prison - refer to the fun, easy reading of Title 15. (yawn)

4. The inmate's reception counselor is the final say in sentence calculation - that is when the inmate finally gets to see their Counc. They go by the paperwork they have in front of them: which may or may NOT be what the inmate's lawyer told them happened/sentenced, nor what the judge actually said. If you were at the court date or not, request an Abstract of Judgment from the county court where the inmate was sentenced (have inmate send you a letter saying that s/he authorizes you to get a copy of the A of J & Court Minutes from the date of their sentencing court appearance from inmate's file, then send a copy to the inmate. Sorry, but you'll have to go to the criminal court records desk/dept at the court house - they won't mail or fax it to you ).
4. Safety is pretty good in Reception - no scuffles, no wacky gang outbreaks, etc. Could get dicey when they get mainlined, depending what gang affiliation, cellie & housing division & level they get put into.
5. My guy told me a female CO actually told him that he can beat up his cell mate (bc the cell mate got them moved - for calling her a c*nt). Nice! He didn't listen to her. He does NOT want more time. But now she's harassing him bc he didn't beat up his cell mate! Anyone know how I can make a complaint against her/this CO - if it is even worth it?

And a note about pictures: my guy says that if a picture is printed on good quality photo paper, and you sharpie out the naughty parts before you send to him/her, then they can rub off the sharpie when they get the picture. If you sharpie out your naughty bits, believe me, you don't have to tell him/her to rub off the sharpie. They will know/have heard. Good luck!!

I wrote & sent my guy 2 letters during his first week there, when I didn't hear from him nor had his CDC# so I just wrote his name, prison address & sent them out.

But if your son is diligent about this, he can borrow paper & pen & a stamp (if he didn't arrive with paper & stamps) from his cell mate and drop you a note & give you his CDC#. Then, you can write him up a storm. BUT once you get his CDC# and start to write him: follow ALL the rules on the websites about what to send & what not to send. Then, your son should get your letter hopefully within 2 weeks of you sending it, maybe 3. But keep writing!!! All your letters will trickle in & he will be so relieved to hear his name called for mail!

Send 2 pens (bic cristal def gets through), filler paper, 1 or 2 stamp books with his name & CDC# written in sharpie on the non-stamp section of the book & envelopes with every mailing - do this every other day for a while. He'll def get them! Then he can trade & use that stuff to buy other necessities in the mean time, while waiting his turn for commissary. (what he doesn't use writing you, that is

I print out labels on the computer - his addy labels & my return addy labels, hoping my mail gets to him faster. (I'm not sure, tho)

I get packages of stamps from Costco, the Bic cristal pens online from eBay or at Staples, filler paper at Staples - wherever it is cheapest.

Your son should be fine. Reception isn't that dangerous if he keeps his head low & mouth shut at the right times. You will hear from him & probably visit him well before he gets mainlined.

And books - make sure he has books to read. I don't care if he's a reader or not. 23 hours on lock down will drive anyone to read - anything! Send him a Dan Brown book, a mystery, a self-help book, maybe. Books you think he'll like, he'll probably read (or trade for another book that he will def read) and keep him busy and out of trouble.

Trust that your son is OK, because he is. Its his journey now - let him have it. It'll probably teach him a heck of a lot more than college would have!

My guy & I are doing a lot of journaling via our letters to each other and its kinda working like therapy, in a way - by the books I'm sending him/he's reading and the topics we talk about in our letters. Writing letters (to yourself or others/loved ones) is great for self-learning & processing stuff, especially in the boring hours of entertaining yourself in prison. Encourage him to write to you whatever comes to mind. No censoring himself - freeflow. He just might learn a thing or two about himself, it'll help keep him sane, focused and cool-tempered during the frustration of reception and it'll help him pass the time.

Best of luck
Hello...your posting should be a sticky!! Wow Thanks so much for all the great. And informing info!!!
This what I needed...I see why my hubby hasn't called... Again thanks..

Btw wow you are on right on it about the mail... The timing was on point!! Again thanks so much..I'm now less streeful!! ;-y
Old 03-25-2011, 12:55 AM

My guy got this reply on 3/9/11 from his 'Inmate Request for Interview' asking about what's taking so long with my VISITORS APPLICATION approval (its been 2 months now & no word):

The SQ Visiting Sgt - east gate visiting says:

DUE TO THE FURLOUGHS WE ARE BEHIND 3 1/2 - 4 MONTHS ON PROCESSING APPLICATION
Old 03-26-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
My guy got this reply on 3/9/11 from his 'Inmate Request for Interview' asking about what's taking so long with my VISITORS APPLICATION approval (its been 2 months now & no word):

The SQ Visiting Sgt - east gate visiting says:

DUE TO THE FURLOUGHS WE ARE BEHIND 3 1/2 - 4 MONTHS ON PROCESSING APPLICATION
thanks for the info...I don't think my huSband is aware of the fact my approval from another CA prison is not accepted by Sq... Which a person who works in visiting said it should be accepted ..she also said,"well you know how Cdcr is" evEn she's aware of her coworkers...lolol but the Sergeant tells me I need to fill out another one, cRaZy!!!...so therefore its going to be a while, hopefully he will be out that nasty, cold horrible place!!!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:07 AM
Jazmin y Gerardo Cruz <3

can someone serve their time in justtt reception? like 3-4 months? [my bf is most likely goin to be transfered to SQ we jst dont know when yet]
Old 04-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Anthony's Mom

Yes it may be that he will never make it out of reception... but there is really no saying. My boyfriend was serving a 90 day violation, at day 63 they shipped him from reception in SQ all the way down to Corcoran. So he had to serve his last 27 days down there and then get all the way home....

Old 04-27-2011, 02:45 PM

They did that "BS" to my son as well. He had to serve 4 month. After he had been in reception for 3 months they transfered him to Jamestown which is the training center for fire camp. He had one month left and certainly could not go into firecamp training. He sat and watched the guys training every day until he was released. State prison often does not do what would make the most sense.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Jazmin y Gerardo Cruz <3

another question...i HEARD that when they get released they give them money so they catch a bus home or smthing... :P is this true??
Old 04-29-2011, 06:54 AM
I Love Me Some Him
Donation Award 

Yea they give them gate money 200 but if he doesn't have any dress out clothes when he's released they take it out of the 200. They charge them to take them to the grey hound and then theres the grey hound ticket in itself the money doesn't go far depending on where he's going

Loving Life Loving Them!!!!

Old 04-30-2011, 01:15 AM
Anthony's Mom

Yes they give them gate money but it depends on how long they have to serve... they get $1.10 per day up to $200.00. So its not automatic $200.00 gate money. If he is there for 3 months I think that ends up being $100.00 gate money.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Jazmin y Gerardo Cruz <3

o0 nice... THANx! :]
Old 05-11-2011, 09:49 PM

Default Can I send Books in reception area?

My boyfriend is in westblock in the reception area and I thought i couldn't send him books. Can I send him books? If so how many? Do you know how long it's taking for the inmates to get letters?

thanks

Quote:
Hello,

Best of luck
Old 05-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Anthony's Mom

Ms. Isaq, he can get books, 2 at a time shipped directly from a book place. I use Barnes and Noble, but I am sure there are others you can use. And According to the Ombudsman for SQ they are CURRENT on the mail, so it should take about a week to get to them if you are somewhere in the bay area

Old 05-28-2011, 08:36 AM
scaredfamily

Thank you so much for all this information. Does anyone know anything about protective custody durin reception. I called and a counselor said they would be housed in alpine or badger on the 4/5 tier.
My brother is going in for a 90 day evaluation. The lawyer told us it would be in a hospital like setting and he would only be with other people on this same evaluation. Im beginning to think this is a complete lie. My brother is being placed in pc because he knows absolutly nothing about gangs, drugs, violence. He has never even had a speeding ticket before. He went into county 5 days ago at 5'9 and 115lbs!!! I am horrified that something will happen to him. Please help!!
Closed Thread