Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know > California Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss California prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the California forum.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:30 PM

Default Sending CDCR inmate mail

California Institution for Men - Reception Center Central

I have read what can be sent:

10 photos max size 8 x 10
40 blank envelopes
40 unpersonalized stamps
250 sheets of white or yellow paper
10 pages of letters, drawings, newspaper clippings, etc.

However, i noticed after sending, that the manila envelope will be returned if it weighs over 13 ounces. Is that true? It doesn't say that on the CDRC site, but i saw it on the following site, the last line under "Incoming Mail"

www statewide-ifc dot com /mail/sending-and-receiving-mail

Let me know, i would hate to have it returned!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2017, 12:39 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,884 Times in 6,814 Posts

I've heard people say that the 13oz rule isn't enforced when sending stationary. I once sent a packet over 13oz and it got in, but I'm too concerned that it will hit the wrong mail room employee and be denied, so I split his supplies between two envelopes just to be sure.

Also, the parameters of what can be sent in vary depending on custody and facility, so if you have any doubts about his ability to receive certain items, it's perfectly OK to call the mail room and ask.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:42 PM

Thanks so much for your response. I called the mail room once before and they didnt seem too legit. They couldnt tell me if my 10 x 13 manila envelope was too big and needed to use a 8 x 10. They were very unsure and were going off of ... "i think that should be fine" so i thought i might ask the people going thru the struggle. Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1nmat3_wife For This Useful Post:
miamac (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 12:51 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Ahh, the old CYA maneuver. That's frustrating.

I use the larger size envelope and it's always been fine at all of his facilities. I don't know how they would expect us to send paper in an 8x10 when paper is 8x11. But, that's the world we're in.

You'll also see that some people send in the manila envelopes with the metal clasp and that the mail room will just tear it off before sending it to him. Personally? I wouldn't risk it unless you just can't find self sealing.

Also, if no one has mentioned it-- on the back of the envelope, list the contents. "20 sheets lined paper, 10 envelopes, 1 book stamps, personal letter". That way he knows what should be in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (12-31-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 01:02 PM

Dang, you are hitting all the questions i had. I did send my manila envelope with metal clasps thinking the mail room would open the envelope and remove content to deliver to him. I put tape over the metal clasp to ensure the envelope didnt open on its journey.

ALSO, when i went to the post office to send the manila envelope, she put it in an USP express envelope...i wasnt sure if they would except it that way so i had her remove it and just put the express label on the manila envelope and sent it as is. This is my first time doing all this so i just want to do the necessary to get him his stuff as quickly as possible. Would it be ok to put it in a USPS express envelope, (my entire manila envelope)?
Old 12-30-2017, 01:09 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

No tape. Not any kind, don't even let the post office slap it on if they try. I've nearly come over the counter at them when I see them pull that roll out. Lol

So your best bet is to use the self-sealing, 11x13 envelope without any sort of extra closure. I know, especially when it's packed with paper, it doesn't seem like it will stay shut. My solution for this is to use one of those purple school glue sticks and run it just above the adhesive line and seal it down. So far, three years of that trick and we've had good luck. Just make sure it's not a visible sticky addition.

Don't use any sort of heavier envelope that the carriers offer-- the cardboard isn't allowed and neither is the mylar (it's not mylar but I can't think of the material, plasticy) envelopes. Some facilities will junk that and send him the contents if there's a regular addressed envelope inside, most will reject it immediately.

To the best of my knowledge, the envelope has to pass the mail room for them to receive the contents. They have to deliver the addressed mailer to the inmate, even if it was destroyed and repacked by the post office. For us, when they caught a mangled envelope, they put the whole mess into a larger envelope and gave it to him.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:11 PM

Thanked 3,970 Times in 1,241 Posts

I have also found that the plain envelopes you send should be the kind that you have to lick and not the self-sealing kind. These were refused the first time I ever sent them which was quite a while ago. Things may have changed since then, but I continue to send the old-fashioned kind just to be sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to tglsmom For This Useful Post:
miamac (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 04:41 PM

The rule is the package cannot weight more than 13oz. Some prisons enforce it, some do not. A package of notebook paper,e specially if it is the recycled paper sometimes weighs more than 13 oz. You can send in the self stick envelopes, actually preferred because the ones you lick can have drugs on them. 40 stamps, and if there is a change in denomination, you can send up to 40 of the stamps to match the denomination.

Make it easier, send 1 package like this, and yes, it can be sent in 10x13. We send 2 0r 3 stationary packages back to back. When i was in this was how my mom did it, and now this is how we do it for my brother. Make sure you write on the envelope what is in there and put the CDC # on the stamps. You would be surprised how often the stamps disappeared, and tape them on a sheet of paper. Or take a little piece of the stamp packing and using that as a tape to hold stamps in place.

About 75 sheets of paper
20 envelopes
2 books of stamps

Is almost 13 oz. Plus, when you send it over 13 oz it changes it to first class mail and watch the difference in how much they charge for the shipping, it more than doubles.

Last edited by Demlo441; 12-30-2017 at 04:43 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Demlo441 For This Useful Post:
ms.k.lee (01-16-2018)
Old 12-30-2017, 04:44 PM

You can send the envelope with the metal clasp, the mail room removes it. And we have also sent tape on it before and he has received it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nmat3_wife View Post
Dang, you are hitting all the questions i had. I did send my manila envelope with metal clasps thinking the mail room would open the envelope and remove content to deliver to him. I put tape over the metal clasp to ensure the envelope didnt open on its journey.

ALSO, when i went to the post office to send the manila envelope, she put it in an USP express envelope...i wasnt sure if they would except it that way so i had her remove it and just put the express label on the manila envelope and sent it as is. This is my first time doing all this so i just want to do the necessary to get him his stuff as quickly as possible. Would it be ok to put it in a USPS express envelope, (my entire manila envelope)?
Old 12-30-2017, 04:54 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demlo441 View Post
You can send the envelope with the metal clasp, the mail room removes it. And we have also sent tape on it before and he has received it.
And mine with tape have been returned. Same reason as listed below-- they can see any added adhesive item as possibly carrying contraband (drugs).

So the general rule of thumb is to follow Title 15 rules, ask him what his inmate handbook says about mail and aim for the safest choice until you know what they allow and don't. When I'm on the fence about whether I should send something or how, I make sure I separate the "must gets" from the "if it doesn't make it I won't die". So legal docs don't go in the same envelope as say a printed comic that may get the whole thing turned around.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:08 PM

The inmate handbook is the same for my brother as it was when I was an inmate. No matter what it comes to the discretion of the person handling the mail. Title 15 states that you are allow to send up to 40 stamps to an inmate that will equal the correct denomination if there is a postage change. My mail was sent back for to many stamps. It was fought and i was in the right, and the mail room was wrong. This now is not so much an issue because of the forever stamps. One officer may allow my mail thru but not my cellies and it was shipped the exact same way.

Just looked also to see if there has been a change and there is nothing in the title 15 saying you cannot put tape on envelopes, and that you cannot send envelopes with clasps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
And mine with tape have been returned. Same reason as listed below-- they can see any added adhesive item as possibly carrying contraband (drugs).

So the general rule of thumb is to follow Title 15 rules, ask him what his inmate handbook says about mail and aim for the safest choice until you know what they allow and don't. When I'm on the fence about whether I should send something or how, I make sure I separate the "must gets" from the "if it doesn't make it I won't die". So legal docs don't go in the same envelope as say a printed comic that may get the whole thing turned around.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:09 PM

This may help you, this is what inmates go by,
itsd called the title 15. Look over it, it is good info to know. https://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Regulations/...tle15_2017.pdf page 90 starts your mailroom info.
Quote:

Old 12-31-2017, 01:30 AM

Thanks so much for all the replies and info. I didn't put cdc# on his stamps and my package was 1lb 11 oz...hope he gets it!
Old 12-31-2017, 01:38 AM

you don't have ti, its something my mom did in case the fell out of whatever she sent them in.

Quote:
Thanks so much for all the replies and info. I didn't put cdc# on his stamps and my package was 1lb 11 oz...hope he gets it!
Old 12-31-2017, 01:40 AM

And another trick for photos. you can put four 4x6 on one 8x10 sheet of photo paper and send in 10 sheets.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:58 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,103 Times in 14,196 Posts

The 13 oz limit is the max you can send and just give to your carrier or drop into a collection box. (meaning if its over you need to go into the post office to mail it)
Not sure how the Prison mail room views a large envelope over 13 oz. They might consider it a parcel.

Best to split it up as best you can.
Hope it goes thru ok.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
miamac (02-11-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Have you found out if he received it?
Old 02-11-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demlo441 View Post
you don't have ti, its something my mom did in case the fell out of whatever she sent them in.
I don't understand. Why would you send an envelope that is over the weight limit?
Old 02-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Not sure how the Prison mail room views a large envelope over 13 oz. They might consider it a parcel.
I haven't seen one for a while, but it used to be printed on the back of indigent envelopes that anything over 13 oz would be refused. I'm sure that's subjective like most mail room issues, but if it's stationary, it would be easy to go over. Agreed-- just split it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.k.lee View Post
Have you found out if he received it?
Yes, thank you. He did successfully receive it. The mail office also told me that unless its noticeably over weight, he should received all mailings.

He has received all mailings i have sent.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1nmat3_wife For This Useful Post:
miamac (02-12-2018), ms.k.lee (02-12-2018), sidewalker (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, thank you. He did successfully receive it. The mail office also told me that unless its noticeably over weight, he should received all mailings.

He has received all mailings i have sent.
Great. Thanks!