Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know > California Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss California prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the California forum.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:03 AM

Default Hello California - Will used books be rejected?

Hi there, quick question on used books. I don't want to spend too much money sending books. Have a friend in Central Valley MCCF - everything I've read so far states that only Amazon and Barnes/ Noble, NEW + PAPERBACK books can be sent. However, I have read also in the prison rules that you can send books as long as they are sent BY A THIRD PARTY DISTRIBUTOR. There's plenty of books I''d like to send from Amazon used book vendors but I'm not sure if they'd be rejected. Can anyone enlighten me? Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to awesomejuan For This Useful Post:
lilt0123 (03-21-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2018, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 5,515 Times in 2,795 Posts

I think you answered your own question. No. The 3rd party distributor is amazon, or B&N. You are a party and your LO is a party. No used books. The rules say NEW only.

Here's the thing...anyone can fill a book with contraband. No one really knows some of the used book sellers on amazon. They may be reputable but if something did happen to pop up in a book sent to your LO, book privilege will be suspended.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:29 AM

Well my SO receives books I order him off ThriftBooks.com, he’s received them both when he was at MCCF Shafter, and currently at Sierra Conservation Center. There’s never been problem and he’s gotten all of them I’ve ever ordered. We’ve loved ThriftBooks because you can get like 5 books for around $25, or even cheaper.