Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH CAROLINA > North Carolina General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

North Carolina General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in North Carolina that do not fit into any other North Carolina sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:06 PM

Unhappy Broken arm and medical expenses in North Carolina

Hi Everyone!

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to my question, but I'm still new to all of this. I'm hoping you all can confirm that I'm understanding things correctly--I really need the emotional support.

My friend is in state prison in CO and he got in a fight. I've been through the whole range of emotions (still going through them). He says his arm is broken and will require surgery and plates, but that they aren't too worried about scheduling it and will just re-break it when it's time for surgery. He also broke his wrist. He says he's been given an ace bandage, ice at meals, had a few days off from work/class, and he can have over the counter pain medicine. All of that sounds pretty standard (sadly). He doesn't want to take any legal action because he says he's afraid of being hurt worse or that the guards will mis-treat him. I understand that's common too.

So, from what I understand, the prison is required to provide medical treatment (that they deem necessary). I know it depends on the state, but in theory $100 is the maximum he would be charged for intensive medical care right? He's already had multiple issues and he has (meaning his family and I have) paid hundreds if not thousands by now for medical issues, medication that he said he was being denied (that was medically essential), for classes that he says cost extra, and for all kinds of other things he's wanted from canteen and ordered from the special monthly items list. I know everything in prison is marked up, but their basic needs are also being met--I'm feeling pretty heartbroken. Is there any way that he's telling me/his family the truth? I'm worried that there's a lot more going on. I'm thinking it's only a matter of time until he starts asking for lots of money to cover the expenses from his broken arm. It should just be co-pays right? And those shouldn't be very much...and even then, the prison would be required to give him treatment even if he had no way to pay for it. He always has explanations that kind of make sense, so I'm scared all the time that he's suffering and if I just gave him a little bit more money...

This is probably what it looks like, right? This is so difficult!!! Any advice or encouragement would be helpful. I feel pretty stupid, but I love my friend. I've been sick and am struggling with a lot of health issues, which makes it even more complicated. I'm really hurting.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2017, 06:35 PM

Having had a fair amount of experience with CO prisons. The health care is sub pare. But if his injuries where as severe as you say he would be transferred to an infirmary unit or outside hospital. The copay's should be fairly minimal. I have never spent or heard of an inmate needing $1000's for medical care. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
The Following User Says Thank You to medicscrazy For This Useful Post:
WishingTree (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 26,393 Times in 9,632 Posts

Wishing Tree, I"ve moved your thread to the Colorado forum so you can get information from the people who deal with it most often.

Good luck...hope it's not what you think.
WishingTree (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 07:08 PM

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your help!