Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Alderson Federal Prison Camp
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alderson Federal Prison Camp Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison Camp for women in Alderson, West Virginia.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:14 PM

Default Need info about Alderson Federal Prison

Three part question:How is the food? Do they have access to computers? What type sports activities do they have. Thanks for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2006, 12:35 AM
Donation Award 

I apologize that I didn't see this post sooner. You might want to post your question in the Federal Forum as they get more traffic there. When I was at Alderson from 2001to 2003 the food was outstanding, but I understand that has changed. Inmates do not have Internet access, but I do know there is an e-mail pilot program in a federal facility that began recently. Alderson has a gym, rec building, had tennis courts but they may be gone now, a softball team, and lots and lots of room to walk.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson
Three part question:How is the food? Do they have access to computers? What type sports activities do they have. Thanks for all your help.
I spent 2 years in Alderson back in 95-97, at that time the food was good, we had pool tables, nintendo, tennis, they would have dances, track for jogging, if you have to go anywhere I guess Alderson is a decent place. There was a gaurd in the kitchen Mr. G, he was always really cool if he is still there stay on his good side and he will hook you up : )
Old 02-10-2009, 08:19 AM

Default alderson's not that bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiewv View Post
I spent 2 years in Alderson back in 95-97, at that time the food was good, we had pool tables, nintendo, tennis, they would have dances, track for jogging, if you have to go anywhere I guess Alderson is a decent place. There was a gaurd in the kitchen Mr. G, he was always really cool if he is still there stay on his good side and he will hook you up : )
i was in alderson in 2006-2007 they serve alot of chicken but hey at least its better then the county. there are two tracks upper compound and lower compound. it's very pretty their. most of the co's are pretty considerate and there is softball ternaments and volleyball. rollerskatin Mr. G is still there. it's one of the better places to do time.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO and the WV Forum! Glad to have you with us.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:05 PM

How long of a drive will it be from silver spring, MD to Alderson?? or if you can provide me with the address i can look it up myself. thanks
Old 06-27-2009, 07:12 PM

Default Alderson

It is 285 miles and about 4 1/2 hours from Silver Spring, MD.

You can find all the details out at www.bop.gov

If you have any other questions let me know, I will be happy to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope123 View Post
How long of a drive will it be from silver spring, MD to Alderson?? or if you can provide me with the address i can look it up myself. thanks
Old 10-11-2009, 03:28 PM

Default Alderson Halfway House

Can anyone tell me if you are an inmate at Alderson and you get halfway house time will they assign you to a house in west virginia or where she in from in the Chicago area.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Donation Award 

Not 100% sure, but I believe halfway house time is spent as close to where the inmate lives as possible.

You may want to look at the Federal Forum and see what information you can find there.

Good luck and welcome to PTO!
pattyannk (10-12-2009)
Old 10-12-2009, 06:56 PM

Default Alderson

Thank you for your help. Can you also tell me how often you can visit someone at Alderson female camp. If I am on her PSI report can I see her right away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justvicki View Post
Not 100% sure, but I believe halfway house time is spent as close to where the inmate lives as possible.

You may want to look at the Federal Forum and see what information you can find there.

Good luck and welcome to PTO!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:18 PM

Hi
I just got home from alderson and a halfway house after that. They try their best to get you close to home for the halfway house but so many of these facilities are closed now or full. I was in a hwh that was about 1 1/2 hours from home. Honestly, I should have stayed at Alderson. Hwh was in a horrible section of philly, food was awful!! and very close quarters. Glad to be home.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyannk View Post
Can anyone tell me if you are an inmate at Alderson and you get halfway house time will they assign you to a house in west virginia or where she in from in the Chicago area.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:22 PM

It took about 2 weeks to get my visitor list approved. It could possibly be done in 1 week if all went well. I saw my kids 2 weeks after I arrived. I felt like it was good timing. First of all I had a chance to adjust and cope so they didnt see me with what I call the "deer in the headlights stare". I think they felt much better seeing me and where I was. At that point I had also met a few people and they were a the visiting area too. That was nice for my kids to see too, that I had friends there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyannk View Post
Thank you for your help. Can you also tell me how often you can visit someone at Alderson female camp. If I am on her PSI report can I see her right away.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO and the WV Forum GTBH, but most of all welcome home!! It nice to have someone with us with recent experience at Alderson. I left there in 2004 and I know a lot has changed since then.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladToBeHome View Post
It took about 2 weeks to get my visitor list approved. It could possibly be done in 1 week if all went well. I saw my kids 2 weeks after I arrived. I felt like it was good timing. First of all I had a chance to adjust and cope so they didnt see me with what I call the "deer in the headlights stare". I think they felt much better seeing me and where I was. At that point I had also met a few people and they were a the visiting area too. That was nice for my kids to see too, that I had friends there.
Thanks, this makes me feel better. My girlfriend will be heading there shortly; she is locked up locally right now. She has two children that mean the world to her.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:08 AM

Glad to Be Home, how long were you in Alderson? I was just recently sentenced to 42 months and have not received my surrender date yet. I have 4 small children ages 5-12 and this is going to be devastating for them. I live in NJ and it is a 7 1/2 hour drive for them to visit.

What things can I do in advance to save time. Can I get my visitation list approved before I arrive? Do I need a phone list or can I call anyone? Is there computer access/email at Alderson now?

Any advice, suggestions, comments would be very welcome. I have never been in any kind of trouble before and am quite terrified.

Thanks Sandi
Old 11-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Donation Award 

Sandi, welcome to PTO and the WV Forum.

Although Alderson is a long way away from your home, once you surrender you will find that in comparison to many facilities its not that bad of a place. I was there from 2001 to 2003. Although a lot may of changed since then, its still a fairly laid back place and not nearly as frightening as you may be imagining. It will, of course, take some time to get acclimatize but you will soon find yourself getting into the routine of things and meeting and getting to know people who are in the same position as you. Not saying it will be easy, just saying its doable.

Alderson has always had a great visitation program especially for inmates with children. Also, in the town of Alderson itself is the Hospitality House, where the family of inmates who are visiting at the Camp stay for nothing - payment is strictly voluntary. Check it out at http://www.aldersonhospitalityhouse.org/index.html. I cannot tell you how incredible this place is. You might be able to stay there the night before you surrender; that way your family will be familiar with it when they come to visit.

Any one who is in your pre-sentencing report will be on your visitation list. Others will have to fill out paperwork, but it doesn't take long to process. Also, you will have to complete your phone list when you get there, but again processing usually takes less than a week.

If you haven't done so yet, check out the Federal Forum here on PTO. There is a wealth of information there.

Good luck to you and your family!

Last edited by justvicki; 11-22-2009 at 03:32 PM..
Old 01-12-2011, 07:44 PM

Default Phone calls

My daughter SS today to Alderson.
I am wondering how long before she can call home? And can they call to a cell phone or do you have to have a home phone?
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:59 AM

Default Information on Alderson, WV Prison

My attorney thinks I will be ending up at Alderson. I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could answer. I have done some research but wasn't able to find answers to the following:
1. Can you have a watch while there. If so, can you bring one or do you have to buy it from commissary.
2. Do they sale makeup in the commissary.
3. Hair color - I go every 6 weeks to have my hair colored currently. I read you can have your hair colored, you just have to buy the color from commissary, but wanted to know how often a person can have this done.
4. I realize you have to share bathrooms, but was curious as to how far they were from bed.
5. Do they provide adequate blankets. I am so cold natured and arriving in Fall I know I'm going to freeze.

I know these questions are probably stupid to some, but having no idea what to expect and never in my wild imagination thought I would be going...just want to be prepared as much as possible. Any additional information is greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to hearing from someone.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:11 AM

I noticed that no one has responded to you. Well, I emailed your questions to my boy who is currently incarcerated in federal prison. Following is his reply:

"LOL. I can actually answer most of that...

1. You can wear a watch, but you MUST buy it from the commissary. You can't bring much from the outside save for a pair of eyeglasses and MAYBE a Bible.

2. I'm a guy, so there's not too many of us who wear makeup. But I CAN tell you that some guys use Skittles for lipstick and prayer oil for perfume. Does that help?

3. No clue on the hair color thing. We can steal bleach, though. ^_^

4. Oh, about 3-5 feet.

5. You are assigned one sheet and blanket in all the places I've been. You can usually scrounge around for more if you're so inclined. But beware- excessive bedding can be confiscated as contraband.
"

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2prissy View Post
My attorney thinks I will be ending up at Alderson. I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could answer. I have done some research but wasn't able to find answers to the following:
1. Can you have a watch while there. If so, can you bring one or do you have to buy it from commissary.
2. Do they sale makeup in the commissary.
3. Hair color - I go every 6 weeks to have my hair colored currently. I read you can have your hair colored, you just have to buy the color from commissary, but wanted to know how often a person can have this done.
4. I realize you have to share bathrooms, but was curious as to how far they were from bed.
5. Do they provide adequate blankets. I am so cold natured and arriving in Fall I know I'm going to freeze.

I know these questions are probably stupid to some, but having no idea what to expect and never in my wild imagination thought I would be going...just want to be prepared as much as possible. Any additional information is greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to hearing from someone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiAddict For This Useful Post:
Snowwolf (05-17-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Donation Award 

Alderson has a cosmetology program, and you can have your hair colored as often as you like. When I was there, you purchased your hair color from commissary and took it with you to your appointment. You are able to have your hair cut, colored, styled, can't remember about perms, but know you can have it straightened. You can have your eyebrows shaped, and manis and pedis done.

Yes, they do sell makeup in commissary and that is where you must also purchase your watch.

Depending on where your cubicle is located in the "range" (what the building you are housed in is called) will depend on how far you are located from the bathroom area, but I would say at least 6-8 feet. Also, the ranges are kept quite warm, so you should be fine. Additionally. insulated underwear is issued in the winter, and lots of people wear it, and that helps also.

Good luck!