Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Alderson Federal Prison Camp
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alderson Federal Prison Camp Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison Camp for women in Alderson, West Virginia.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Update me on Alderson Federal Prison

Hello,

I am due to report to Alderson on Dec. 4 by 2pm.. I have read alot of old post about A&0 , and bus stops.. not sure of the entire process.. what exactly is it like.. right now I keep to myself, not much of a social bug.. being around all the ladies will be quite a change.. more like a spa retreat for me.. update me.. how long is visitation.? somewhere I read 4 hrs..
first week or so do u sleep on mats? help me out.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:04 PM

My daughter is in Alderson.
I will be going next May.
She was in the bus stop for a little over a month before she got a cube due to the overcrowding.
Overcrowding seems to be the main issue and is what makes the environment uncomfortable...i.e., waiting 2 hours in the bad weather to eat, fighting over TVs etc.
All specifics such as visitation can be found on the BOP.gov website.
Ask questions...I'll see what she says.
Lyn
Old 11-14-2007, 10:40 AM
daughter of inmate
Donation Award 

Default Find my mom!!

Find my momma! Her name is Sharon Wolford & has become a "celebrity" there. She's one of the friendliest people there and a lot of the younger inmates call her "mom". She just got there in June and if her appeal doesn't go over well she's not coming home until December 18th. She works at the 411 call center and loves it. She's a new inmate but is really making everyone elses stay much easier. Someone called my house yesterday saying they were released from Alderson a few weeks ago and wanted to check on my mom. Find her! If nothing else, she won't let you stop laughing!
Old 11-15-2007, 02:10 PM
daughter of inmate
Donation Award 

Default Curious

Just out of curiousity -- if it's self surrender -- can you go before the date?? Like wouldn't it make sense for you to turn yourself in now so you could be out before Christmas? Just wondering. I saw on another post you have 30 days.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:37 PM

I am not sure if I can go in early.. the judge wantd me to miss Christmas and New years, my anniversay and my daughters bday as punishment..I will chk again abt going early.. I am glad its just 1 mo. I was suppose to do 1 yr, but judge did min of 6 mo.. making me do 1 mo in and 5 home confinement.. to wreck my life...
I will ck on mom when I arrive..
Old 11-21-2007, 06:38 PM
daughter of inmate
Donation Award 

I see. I guess you had a "learn your lesson" kinda judge. As long as you've accepted it, you'll be fine. I got this email from my mom about you...

Becky,
Find out what her name is. Tell her to wear small hoop earrings (although they may try to change that to posts only, you CAN wear posts, and only posts, to visitation)and a cross necklass. Tell her to bring in cool magnifyers (eye-glasses) and tell her to paint her toenails and fingernails. Tell her to bring about $400.00 and she should be good for the month. Tell her to get everyone's e-mail addresses. Tell her to be prepared to sleep without a pillow the first night and they will give her a crappy ol' nightgown, after that it's not so bad. Tell her the women are nice, the food is good (most of the time). Tell her that I am in a-2 and if she needs anything let me know.
Love you,
Mom
Old 12-10-2007, 12:25 PM

Read the information from your Mom and I have the following questions; (I will be reporting on about Jan.8th) Should I bring a money order with me or should I have it sent by western union a day or two before I report? I use a cane occassionally for walking, can I bring that? Also I have read that you should have a list of phone numbers and email addresses, will I be allowed to bring them it? Can I bring my bible with me or must I have that mailed? What are the sleeping arrangments in the beginning and is it possible on visiting days to have a pet visit? I know that sounds strange, but my dog is like a member of the family and I would love to be able to see him. He is a small Shitz-Tu and we carry him around in a doggie bag. Thanks for any information.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:30 PM
daughter of inmate
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB313
Read the information from your Mom and I have the following questions; (I will be reporting on about Jan.8th) Should I bring a money order with me or should I have it sent by western union a day or two before I report? I use a cane occassionally for walking, can I bring that? Also I have read that you should have a list of phone numbers and email addresses, will I be allowed to bring them it? Can I bring my bible with me or must I have that mailed? What are the sleeping arrangments in the beginning and is it possible on visiting days to have a pet visit? I know that sounds strange, but my dog is like a member of the family and I would love to be able to see him. He is a small Shitz-Tu and we carry him around in a doggie bag. Thanks for any information.
I sent an email to my mom with your questions so I'll get back soon But I'll asnwer what I can.

Bring the money order with you. I think you may even be able to bring cash [but m/o is a lot more simple.] You can't bring a cane but they have ones available there, as far as I know. You can bring your own Bible, don't worry about getting it mailed. I think if it's leather or hardback then you CAN'T have it mailed to you from anyone but the publisher. I know thats true for hardbacks, I'm not sure about leather. The sleeping arrangements, well, your first few days are spent at the "bus stop" where all the new commits go then your moved to a more permanent place. I'm not sure how that works but my mom will explain it. As far as pet visits, WOW they sound like a nice idea, but I'm pretty sure it's not possible. However if he wants to hang out in your car all day you'd be able to see him from there, the cars are parked right next to the visiting area, and you can go outside up to the fence. This, by the way, is one of the only two fences at Alderson. You'll only see guards during visits and counts. Alderson is a nice place, and I'm glad my mom got in. When she recieved her pack she jumped up and down like a kid who just got into their first choice college. You'll be fine there, they really take care of you. Don't let the few bad apples intimidate you. Go find my mom she'll be there the next few years and she'll take care of you. I exchange letters with some of her friends there and she's quite the "hero" down there. Good luck & enjoy your stay. I've heard of inmates saying they wish they could come back for a bit as a vacation away from their family, lol.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:39 AM

Thanks so much for your reply, the information is most helpful. You and your mom are God sent. I know God can only do for us what he can do through us and thus there is a reason for everything, and it seems as if your Mom got sent to Alderson to be God's messager and his helpful hands. The individuals that have responed to be have been so nice and kind. I thank God for all of you.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” Marianne Williamson
Old 12-14-2007, 10:19 PM
daughter of inmate
Donation Award 

Mom said to go ahead and bring your cane, bring cash, bring your list of numbers, not an address book and no pet visits

You know it's funny you say that.. anytime I get upset and have the "it's not fair I don't understand why" conversations with my mom she tells me that it's all part of God's plan and that she's there to help God.

You know I remember how scared my mom was going in back in June & I wanna be able to ease some of that fear for anyone I can. Just remember the first days the worst, after that you'll have a blast. My mom is always sending me crazy pictures with her and her friends there. She works at the 411 call center and is ALWAYS getting goofy calls. She sends us stories all the time and her e-mails are always cheerful. This is her first Christmas away so thats all that worries me.

Good luck at Alderson, it ain't so bad. I'd like to switch places with my mom sometimes...

You'll get to see where Martha was! lol
The Following User Says Thank You to ohs2gmu For This Useful Post:
karbeck (11-22-2008)
Old 12-15-2007, 02:33 AM

Thanks so much for the information, and know at this time of year when we celebrate the gift of life on every level and the rebirth of the Christ in us all, that you are so blessed to have your mother (mine passed away 37 years ago) and your mother is so blessed to have you. You have been a wonderful gift to me and I wish you and your family happy holidays. (You are right I will get to see where Martha was, lol)

Last edited by Dr. B; 12-15-2007 at 02:35 AM..
Old 12-23-2007, 02:54 AM

hi everyone! i'm new to this whole thing, and I'm not sure how to make my own post, so I'm sorry for adding on to this one. anyway, i went to court 3 weeks ago, and I got sentenced to 68 months in prison for conspiracy to commit to bank robbery (im embaressed to say that I even tried). my judge didnt like me very much, but she let me have self surrender. i'm still waiting on my letter, and i really wish that it would get here soon. i hate waiting. i'm 19 yrs old and ive never been in trouble before now, and im completely scared out of my mind. i dont really have anyone to talk to that knows how i feel, so it was a blessing that i found this website. the judge said that she would recommend alderson. its the closest FPC to my family. so i was just wondering if anyone could help me out and tell me what to expect and maybe some things to do to keep my mind off of actually being in prison. thank you!
Old 12-26-2007, 07:25 PM

ohs2gmu it seems you are a good person to ask.. My mom is driving me crazy and its a very hard time for our family right now she is will be reporting in March so we are playing the waitting game too. If you can help out on the following questions we would greatly appreciate anything.

1. can you smoke while you are in there
2. is there coffee
3. how much money is needed on her books ( we seen someone say they need 400, seems high)
4. do they have acces to phone/email,ect.
5. where about in WV
6. is it low secertiy there
7. what do they do throught out the day/evening

as you can see any info would be great.

Thank you soooo much,
Shelly
Old 12-28-2007, 08:01 PM
God is Good

Default Here are some answers to your questions....

If you can help out on the following questions we would greatly appreciate anything.

1. can you smoke while you are in there - All Federal facilities are NON SMOKING....sorry!
2. is there coffee - there is coffee for breakfast at the CDR (central Dining Room) - and you can purchase coffee from the commissary to keep in your unit.
3. how much money is needed on her books ( we seen someone say they need 400, seems high) - well that's a tough one...does she owe restitution? If so, the LESS she gets in the better...because they will base her restitution payment on what she gets in....she can only spend $290 a month at the commissary anyway.....in addition to $75 for phone. But most people come in with a money order or cash of at least $150. She will want sneakers (all she is issued is steel toed shoes - ugh) and she will want a radio ($40) and some sweats and some tshirts...etc....and real toothpaste and shampoo instead of the Bob Barker crap they issue you. The first couple of months it is expensive....but once she has everything she needs it's just maintaining.
4. do they have acces to phone/email,ect. yes, but it might take anywhere from a day to five days to get it all up and running...depending on when they get there.
5. where about in WV - in a small no where town...and you will see NOTHING of the outside world while there..(except the trains that go by all day every day) but it is picturesque and beautiful...if it were a college campus, it would be perfect...it is very pretty...she will see lots of wildlife and trees!
6. is it low secertiy there - the lowest. No fences, no locks, no gates. But there are some guards who like to throw their weight around...just keep your head down and don't make waves. The less they notice you the better. And the young lieutenant is a real whippersnapper...haha...she is a pistol. Just keep out of her way.
7. what do they do throught out the day/evening - the first two weeks you will be in A & O classes and you will be busy with that. You will get a job after you are out of A&O and then it's just a routine. Get up, eat, work, eat, work, eat, walk, hang out at rec, or watch tv or read or walk or talk or hang out or walk or walk or walk. I lost 70 pounds in 6 months. You will walk a mile just to eat. Half a mile down the hill and half a mile up...and if you do that 3 times a day...that's 3 miles a day...and for someone that didn't move much before going in...well that's a lot of walking.

as you can see any info would be great.

Anymore questions, please let me know Shelly - it's gonna be ok....I just came from there...you will meet a lot of great people...I can give you some names of who to look for...people that will be in your unit right off the bat....I stayed in A3 the whole time I was there so I left some great friends there just waiting for new people to come! Good luck.
Hugs
Cat
Thank you soooo much,
Shelly[/quote]
Old 01-07-2008, 12:37 PM

Hey Cat...another question about putting money on your commissary account and restitution...In my situation, I owe restitution so when I first arrive if I bring a money order for $250 will they take some of that and then in the future if money is added to my account, will they take some of that also?? Will it be the same amount each time or will it be a percentage? Would it be better just bringing $100 and then put more on asap? This is so confusing!

MP
Old 01-09-2008, 08:49 AM

Default Back!

hELLO ALL,

i AM BACK FROM ALDERSON,
i WILL TELL YOU ITS NOT THAT BAD OF PLACE IF YOU HAVE TO DO TIME. THE PLACE IS BASICALLY RUN BY INMATES. i MET ALOT OF NICE LADIES THAT ARE REALLY READY TO GO THEIR TIME AND GO HOME. nO WANTS STARTS UP WITH YOU, UNLESS YOU PROVOKE THEM. FOR MOST PART THERE ARE LINES FOR MOST EVERYTHING.. THAT IS ONE THING I DIDNT LIKE ABOUT THE PLACE .. YOU HAVE TO WAIT OUTSIDE IN COLD.RAIN TO EAT.. WAIT IN PILL LINES.. LINES FOR COMMISSARY.. BUT I GOT USED TO IT..

IF ANYONE IS GOING PLEASE TAKE MONEY CASH OR MONEY ORDER WITH YOU, AND HAVE FAMILY WESTERN UNION YOU FUNDS DUETO MAIL TO IOWA TAKES A FEW DAYS TO POST.. TAKE ABT 400-500 IF POSSIBLE.. SPENDING LIMIIT IS 290, DURING NOV-DEC IT WAS 350- U CAN ADD MONEY TO PHONES SO U DONT HAVE TO CALL COLLECT. THERE IS EMAIL OF .05 A MIN. VERY RESONALBLE..

THIS PLACE HAS A NICE SCENERY.. AND LOTS OF WALKING.. BE PREPARED.. ASK QUESTIONS....TRY MY BEST TO ANSWER.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohs2gmu
Find my momma! Her name is Sharon Wolford & has become a "celebrity" there. She's one of the friendliest people there and a lot of the younger inmates call her "mom". She just got there in June and if her appeal doesn't go over well she's not coming home until December 18th. She works at the 411 call center and loves it. She's a new inmate but is really making everyone elses stay much easier. Someone called my house yesterday saying they were released from Alderson a few weeks ago and wanted to check on my mom. Find her! If nothing else, she won't let you stop laughing!
Your momma sounds like she's truly a blessing to everybody.
Lamentations 3:22,23

Old 02-14-2008, 07:15 PM

Kimbo20..hope all is well and let me tell that you will be fine I promise..I am 21 years old and my mom is in there for 5 years! Look for her, her name is Kris Clark she is in A-2..also look for sharon wolford...she is a great person too..they will defintaely help you out with anything..anything else you need please let me know!

Last edited by daisyec12; 02-14-2008 at 07:17 PM..
Old 02-14-2008, 07:18 PM

freein6....hi i am 21 years old my mom is in alderson her name is kris clark..and i also know sharon wolford's daugther..she told me that you guys all knew each other..if you can write me back that would be great!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:27 PM

hello just need some answers from anyone that is in or was in any camp, I'm waiting for my letter from bop to ss. how lond do it take and how much should i take money wise